WoTGuru 9.0

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

FafnirDrake #41 Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:52 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 14871 battles

View PostIndianaJonnie, on 27 March 2014 - 11:35 PM, said:

I think that's a problem (possibly opportunity?) faced by all lower tier tanks, you're a 'free exp' snack as far as they're concerned....until you get stuck in their throat :playing:.

Indiana

Eh. I find it a very good idea to focus fire on a scout when they appear. And while a lot of people are just going for an easy kill by doing so, this is a case of doing the right thing for the wrong reasons.

1) A lot of people driving light tanks rush in at the start of the battle, and even good players succumb to the urge now and then. When this happens, it's entirely appropriate to focus the scouts, because they're the only opponent in range at the time.

2) A live scout has a subtle, but profound, impact. If they're allowed to retreat, they will continue to relocate and spot from different areas. Killing them prevents this. It's well worth taking time away from shooting a heavy to eliminate that threat, especially if you can do it in a single shot.

3) A scout loitering on the front line WILL go for your arty if you let him drive past you. If he's parked behind cover or hugging hills, you'll waste your time gunning for him, often as not (and that may be his goal). But if he makes a dash through your line, he needs to be killed immediately, or your arty will probably die. Either to the scout directly, or to counter-battery fire. In this case, you're doing your arty a disservice by ignoring him if you're not too heavily engaged to turn and deal with him.

Edited by FafnirDrake, 16 April 2014 - 07:53 AM.

rptb1 #42 Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:26 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 13308 battles

View PostFafnirDrake, on 16 April 2014 - 07:52 AM, said:

2) A live scout has a subtle, but profound, impact.

QFT.

rptb1 #43 Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:20 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 13308 battles

I read (somewhere we're not allowed to link from this forums) that

Block Quote

- regarding the Chaffee turret change (that won’t happen): “noone promised Chaffee turret change in 9.0″ (SS: the “new” Chaffee turret from the test was put there by accident – it’s a part of the US LT development, it will be most likely changed when the US LT8 is implemented)

Ticon #44 Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:52 PM

Private

• Player
  • 20735 battles
Have I missed something,... The Chaffee looks the same, with the same big turret. There are no changes made, what is all this [edited]about?

9.0 EU Servers

Eila_Juutilainen #45 Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:59 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 21476 battles
  • [102ND] 102ND

View PostTicon, on 21 April 2014 - 07:52 PM, said:

Have I missed something,... The Chaffee looks the same, with the same big turret. There are no changes made, what is all this [edited]about?

9.0 EU Servers

Read what the guy above you posted.

Highway_Star #46 Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 18389 battles

Not in 9.0? Sad face.

I guess it's a big update and they have enough to do already.

Edited by Highway_Star, 22 April 2014 - 01:26 PM.

Eila_Juutilainen #47 Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:59 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 21476 battles
  • [102ND] 102ND

View PostHighway_Star, on 22 April 2014 - 02:25 PM, said:

Not in 9.0? Sad face.

I guess it's a big update and they have enough to do already.

Yeah, and the new model was bugged anyway.

IndianaJonnie #48 Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:29 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8136 battles

View PostFafnirDrake, on 16 April 2014 - 08:52 AM, said:

Eh. I find it a very good idea to focus fire on a scout when they appear. And while a lot of people are just going for an easy kill by doing so, this is a case of doing the right thing for the wrong reasons.

1) A lot of people driving light tanks rush in at the start of the battle, and even good players succumb to the urge now and then. When this happens, it's entirely appropriate to focus the scouts, because they're the only opponent in range at the time.

2) A live scout has a subtle, but profound, impact. If they're allowed to retreat, they will continue to relocate and spot from different areas. Killing them prevents this. It's well worth taking time away from shooting a heavy to eliminate that threat, especially if you can do it in a single shot.

3) A scout loitering on the front line WILL go for your arty if you let him drive past you. If he's parked behind cover or hugging hills, you'll waste your time gunning for him, often as not (and that may be his goal). But if he makes a dash through your line, he needs to be killed immediately, or your arty will probably die. Either to the scout directly, or to counter-battery fire. In this case, you're doing your arty a disservice by ignoring him if you're not too heavily engaged to turn and deal with him.

And those are perfectly valid (you might even say 'flattering') reasons for prioritising scouts as targets. My comment was in response to an earlier statement by albee9 where I took the context to be that of firefights where an enemy tank is presented multiple targets of more immediate threat to it's own preservation, but will choose to focus on the 'low-tier' option - a common enough phenomenon in all battles, irrespective of tier.  

I congratulate you on the wherewithal to prioritise targets that threaten the overall fighting potential of your team; that's the sort of sacrifice that wins matches. But, with some small skepticism, I feel that approach is more the exception than the rule (at least for the present) as players act in a more self- serving manner than act for the benefit of the team as a whole.

And no one knows this frustration more than scout tank players. Our entire playstyle often revolves around facilitating, creating and manipulating situations in order to maximise the (damage dealing) contribution of our team-mates. We try to orchestrate events to encourage the crucial participation of our team, we try to make it easy, make it a no-brainer, for them to do the right thing. If our efforts go ignored or poor judgement finds us in the wrong place at the wrong time, our overall contribution often amounts to close to nil.

The best analogy I can think of is that of a pawn on a chessboard. Although singularly not as 'impressive' as other 'more valuable' pieces out there, it is still area-denial, it's still 'eyes on the board', it's still a threat to any piece if ignored, it becomes more potent as the game draws on and also works effectively in conjunction with other 'teammates'. So, yes, the scout tank is well due the....attention...of opposing tanks precisely for the reasons you gave.

Indiana

boiba #49 Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:19 AM

Private

• Player
  • 14722 battles
  • [RHPO1] RHPO1

I'm trying to follow u all about the chaffee but its hard to do.

Is the chaffee getting the test turret back? maybe in the new HD model? 

I was so happy to see that the chaffee has his original turret of WW2 and now its gone.

And whats that all about the new light tanks after the chaffee, when is the time thy come?

I'm following a long time the forum to find out what WG is gonna do with the USA light line but no realy right answer.

thnx

Eila_Juutilainen #50 Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:08 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 21476 battles
  • [102ND] 102ND

View Postboiba, on 05 May 2014 - 09:19 AM, said:

I was so happy to see that the chaffee has his original turret of WW2 and now its gone.

And whats that all about the new light tanks after the chaffee, when is the time thy come?

I'm following a long time the forum to find out what WG is gonna do with the USA light line but no realy right answer.

thnx

The turret is expected to return when the USA light line gets extended to tier 8. The Chaffee will likely see a rebalance at that time. WG has not given an ETA, but we're supposed to get them somewhere this year.

anonym_kL7qtn3e52MB #51 Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:44 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 0 battles

View Postboiba, on 05 May 2014 - 09:19 AM, said:

thnx

WG are not completely sure.

Priority seems to be fixing the MT-25 (to T-50-2 standards) and the VK 28.01.

I feel as if the Chaffee is getting neglected.

Dragon_XlIl #52 Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:58 AM

Private

• Player
  • 7843 battles
I actually wish WG would give the new turret but keep the old one as well (same stats, just different looks).  That way players could choose to stick to the old look they loved so well, but others that hate that look or want a more historical look (and better performance since the turret would be less of a target) could switch to the other one.  There's not really any reason why they couldn't do this and it'd make a lot of people happy.

Also tagged with WoTGuru, 9.0

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users