• This topic is locked This topic is locked
307 replies to this topic

TinyViking #1 Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:02 PM

Major

• Player
  • 7280 battles

POPULAR

Welcome back commanders!
It's time for our second "Interview with the Clans" (not to be confused with the movie Interview with a Vampire!) and this time we sat down to talk to "We_Just_Dinged_Em"!

----

Q: How, and when, did you create the clan? What was the motivation behind the creation of your clan? What was the biggest challenge for you and how did you overcome it?
I created the clan back in 2013. There was initially only one clan (We Just Dinged Em). Since then, the clan has grown exponentially and I now have three clans (We Just Dinged Em, That One Didn’t Go Through and They Dinged Us). Together these clans make up our community known as the ‘Dingers’. Although we have three clans, they are all equal. We don’t have a first or second rate clan, and we all communicate through shared channel which allows people across the clans to team up, hang out and maybe do a bit of trolling/gold spamming.

The reason I created the clan was because I had a bitter experience during the first CW Campaign and got very disillusioned with the ‘organised battles’ side of the game. I wanted a community where people of all activity, skill and interest levels could get together, platoon, have a laugh and enjoy the game free from the trappings associated with many other clans such as minimum activity levels, certain voice coms, set number of CW battles a week and so on.

The biggest problem when setting up a new clan is finding a niche. There are a ton of good (and not so good) clans out there serving a variety of needs, so to attract cannon fodder, I mean players in my clan needed a ‘pitch!’. The pitch was simply a no obligations community of friendly people who like gaming and mucking around together. I also believe the charisma and good looks of the commander helps!

A very good strategy was to recruit some of the ‘faces’ from the forums who are very active and helped drive recruitment back in the early days. This encourages other people with similar aspirations (who are probably blacklisted from most other clans) to seek us out. Once the ‘noob’ logo is applied to the tank, there is no escape. There is a special mention to Kptstrzyga here! Not only is he a great player, but an all-round nice guy and he has been instrumental in the success of this enterprise.

Q: How do you go about running your clan? How did you create the organizational structure and what are the key parts of this structure?
I’ll level with you, I run my clan with an iron fist and it’s a total dictatorship. However, I’m totally upfront about this and don’t attempt to blame other people if something goes wrong. Players that join my clan are under no illusions that I am in charge, and I have a variety of amusing inter-clan sanctions that can be applied to members that displease me. We don’t actually have many rules; the salient ones are:

1.    Respect other clan members at all times.
2.    No-one in the clan with better stats than me unless I have agreed to it!
3.    In the event of any uncertainty with the rules, I am always right!

However, like all great leaders, I need some expendable personnel to serve as my underlings. In this regard, I have deputy commanders who basically act as the day to day administrators of the community, although some of them appear to have started slacking somewhat! (I must remember to sort that out).
Below the Deputy Commanders we have the remainder of the staff, the recruiters do great work trawling an ever increasing army of people into our clutches (Ozymandias did a great job and now Leadbucket has taken this job up with frightening gusto), the Field Commanders do a great job commanding Team Battles and Tank Companies (we even entered a tournament but we don’t talk about that much). We also have treasurers, but this is a ceremonial role as our gold vault is as bare as Old Mother Hubbard’s Cupboard.

I couldn’t finish this section without talking about clan diplomats. We don’t do CW and I only generally pick diplomats who have a ‘presence’ on the forum or in game (it’s not always a presence that’s within the rules but that’s another story!). Our most recent addition was the indomitable Mr Gooples who has raised the Dinger Profile immensely with his in depth and insightfully constructed forum posts.

There are loads of guys I haven’t mentioned, but they all do a great job in keeping the clan ticking over and taking up some of the slack due to me being terminally lazy.

Q: Do you have an objective as a clan and did you achieve this objective? If you did, what did you do to achieve this/ if you didn’t, what are you doing to achieve this?
Our tag line is ‘We Are Noobs, Bots and AFK’rs – but we shoot gold’ and this defines our clan. When I say ‘defines’ what I actually mean is most of the members do nothing of the sort (we have some very competent players) but I like to give the wider community the impression that we don’t know what we are doing, if you come across one of our TB teams you will be surprised at the skill levels (don’t let the noob smiley fool you).

The biggest thing for me is having fun, at the end of the day this is a video game, not a job, and I am very aware that some clans are run very seriously. This is commendable, but the Dingers Community is run along the lines of “do what you want, when you want, how you want” (Note to WG: Within the game and forum rules obviously *whistles*).

However, I’m mindful that to survive, the clan may need to evolve. I haven’t yet thought about this in detail and what direction we will end up going in, but it may involve a street party, a piñata and some dancing girls.

Q: How often do you organize training's and what is the focus point of your training? What are you aiming to achieve with your training? 

Actually, our training sessions can be very serious (for those who want them – remember we are a no obligations clan). I’ll single a few guys out for making this happen, Blue_Badger, TNTGibbon and Skudakoi have bored me to tears with their plans and tactics. Still, like seeing your dog rolling in a muddy puddle, it’s nice to see the guys enjoying themselves (which is what this game is all about right?)

Q: How do you make your tactics for each map / province in Clan Wars? What are the key points you keep in mind when making the tactics?
We don’t do CW. I don’t currently have any appetite for turning this into a clan goal, mainly due to punishing schedules and the fact that we probably won’t get any landings anyway. However, in the spirit of the Dingers, we have a small group of guys within the clan who are very interested in CW in the future and are slowly building themselves up towards it.

Q: Diplomacy … What are your opinions on this? Is your clan on the side of one hand washes the other or is it more a "lone wolf” clan? 
At the end of the day, we don’t do CW, and we don’t have anything to prove to anyone else. People take us as they find us, I’m sure some people dislike what I’ve created, but that’s their problem. In that respect, we are definitely ‘lone wolf’.

However, I do have an association with SGTA. I am a former student and instructor of SGTA, and I have a lot of time for those guys and what they are trying to achieve. I have a great many ex SGTA players in my clan (I keep trying to steal more but don’t tell Vallu01 that!).

Q: What are the main points for you when it comes to diplomacy? Do you play our diplomatic endeavours short term, or do you have long term goals for diplomatic alliances?
I find having exceptionally charismatic or attractive diplomat’s works as well, which is why I’ve promoted some of the particular clan favourites to this position.

I am interested in forming relationships with some clans, even if it’s just to enjoy training battles and having some additional guys to help us out with Team Battles. We are affiliated with JELLY and sometimes they come in on our Team Battles (especially everybody’s favourite forumite StatPadder). Forming bonds with like-minded people is a long term goal for me.

Q: How are you overcoming internal clan problems such as disagreements and problems between members? Are some of your players more important than the rest of the clan, or is everyone equal and responsible for their own actions?
As I mentioned previously, I rule the Dingers with an iron hand. We have disagreements, but mostly I ignore them as I’m always right anyway.

One thing some other clans do well is Staff Meetings, I’m looking to set these up in the near future so the staff can meet maybe once a month and shout at each other on Teamspeak. I find such meetings very cathartic and a good way to solve any issues rather than writing long private messages or forum posts.
In terms of who is important; everyone is. Without the players there would be no clan. However, much like an overpaid footballing primadonna! Anyone who gets too big for their boots and forgets who is in charge gets politely reminded! :D

Q: How dedicated are you to being a successful clan and what kind of sacrifices did you have to make? Is responsibility shared equally among clan members?
At the end of the day, this clan is my brainchild and I want to see it flourish. A glance at our shared channel warms the cockles of my heart as we are generally a very active community (note to WG mods: I’m glad you can’t see what gets discussed in our shared channel as it breaks several unknown violations of rule other!)

I didn’t have to make many sacrifices (apart from the gold – damn you WG) but even though it’s a casual clan, it still requires a ridiculous amount of management. I might hire myself a PA. Something to bear in mind if you want to create a clan, managing one takes some effort on your part.

Q: What are you doing to keep the morale in the clan high and what is more important for you: Having fun or being successful?
I give weekly poetry readings and inspirational reading to my players. I’ve also arranged our forum using the principles of Feng Shui, not convinced that’s done much good though.

I’m a very visible commander, and I regularly argue with my clan members, I believe a commander should mingle with his underlings even if he secretly loathes them.

The most important thing for me is fun, I don’t know how you could judge ‘The Dingers’ as a success other than thinking; are people having fun? If they are, then I’ve achieved my goal.

We will never get into the top 30 clans on the server, and we are totally cool with that.

Q: Finally, what do you suggest for new clans to be successful? In your opinion, what is the key to a clan becoming successful?
For me, you have to know what you want from your clan and what the organisations aims will be. Creating clan XXX999 that’s been done a thousand times before won’t cut it. Think of something new, fresh, exciting, you never know, there could be a couple of hundred players out there thinking the same way as you! Don’t blame me if your idea gets you banned though!

---

As always, thank you for taking the time to talk to us and thank you all who has taken the time and read this interview, much appreciated :)!

FailAccount #2 Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:08 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 1960 battles

:trollface:

I genuinely :wub: the dingers. 

jostie #3 Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:15 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26532 battles

Everyone's favorite forumite: statpadder

Lost it there:teethhappy:

KptStrzyga #4 Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:18 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33333 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Who is the super recruiter? Who?? Say my name!.... :blinky:

Dinger once, noob forever. :honoring:

Edited by KptStrzyga, 01 April 2014 - 12:27 PM.

Joggaman #5 Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:35 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 24177 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
For the love of gold - we worship You, the greaterest superior leader of all times!

spuriousmonkey #6 Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:35 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 44550 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

I haven't been mentioned once, although I am the official monkey of the klen.

typical.

RegularLogic #7 Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:37 PM

Warrant Officer

• Clan Diplomat
  • 38519 battles
You're not allowed to post april fools stuff past 12:00, you're 2 mins late to post :unsure:

krazypenguin #8 Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:47 PM

Major

• Player
  • 27097 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
The Dingers - offically the stronkest klanu of the WoT forums!  :great:

Salentine #9 Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:48 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23574 battles

Ma look i'm on the telly :trollface:

Ok as the boss said, we're never going to be in the top 30 clans for stats, but we're number one in so many other ways...

and thx QB :cool:

Edited by diavolo_rosso, 01 April 2014 - 01:16 PM.

Navarome #10 Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:00 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 26773 battles
  • [GOP-A] GOP-A

yep we are truly the strongest clan in the forum , our posts are countless, our threads infinite... XD

i wouldnt mind to see our klen in CW one day, we need to associate with other stronk klensm thehehehe

wongman66 #11 Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:05 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12316 battles

Hey boss,

You do realise the PA is "the power behind the throne".....watch out for those who apply for the position

Yag0 #12 Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:05 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 3168 battles

View PostQuickyBaby_, on 01 April 2014 - 12:08 PM, said:

:trollface:

I genuinely :wub: the dingers. 

Very kind of you to say so QB! :)

Nice outline there WJDE, ding-on ! :D

SteelToedSneakers #13 Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:19 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 5722 battles

Stronk interview! I do think WJDE got some help though, as he's normally not able to make such long sentences on his own. You should hear him on Mumble... "Oook, eeek, ook, oink, oink!" all the time. It's tedious, but that's the price we pay to be able to draw that Noob logo on our tenks. Apart from that, I think it's great that all of us, who went through years of special ed at school, have a community in a game.

Of course, haters gonna hate, just because we're the Dingers, but we only "Keep calm and load gold".

I got help writing this, as I'm blind and can't find my braille keyboard today.

BueloProductions #14 Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:19 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 24188 battles
  • [TKBS] TKBS

This thread the 1st of April?

Karma!

May St. Gooples save us all.

BravelyRanAway #15 Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:32 PM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 22806 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

Thank goodness folks from other clans posted in this thread otherwise it starting to look like our own forum..............Oh wait!....we own both!:great:

Steiner011 #16 Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 38989 battles
  • [SCRUB] SCRUB

Hello, Is of Treasurerer.

First say , we has gold , but Boss steal it for personal golden joystick at home. We unhappy.

We make gold later , we good and economic. Gud alchemist come later to help out.

VanessaParadis #17 Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:46 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2969 battles
  • [KIRYU] KIRYU

I am outraged. I wanted to hear about some kind of super important ESL WSL, GCSE clan that is so super famous we should all kneel and worship them.

Who are these dingers? I bet they have never been out with Jonny Depp.

SteelToedSneakers #18 Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:48 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 5722 battles

View PostVanessaParadis, on 01 April 2014 - 02:46 PM, said:

You, of all people, should know, from experience, that Jonny Depp is a Dinger!

KptStrzyga #19 Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:50 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33333 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostVanessaParadis, on 01 April 2014 - 01:46 PM, said:

Who tf is this Jonny? We have Gooples, your argument is invalid.

Path64 #20 Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:51 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 26847 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Well that's a relief I was afraid you were gonna troll that  interview.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users