Graphic Settings And Explanations

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
81 replies to this topic

ArtofWars #1 Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:09 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 16347 battles

I struggled to understand certain terms in the graphics settings at first so did some research while i was sat watching TV, and thought i'd post it up here so people know what they want activating or not, feel free to add to it and i can edit it and sort of get somewhere where people can come check it out..

Display Settings

Screen Resolution

Increased screen resolution improves graphics quality by increasing the number of pixels displayed at once. This feature delivers sharper graphics details and decreased stair-step patterns on the edges of polygons. In most cases, the higher the screen resolution, the lower the frame rate for the game. 800x600 and 1024x768 are common screen resolutions for games. Lower resolutions are good for network play, where the frame rate must stay high in order to compete with other players.

Wide Screen Mode

Computer displays with aspect ratios wider than 4:3 are also called widescreen. Widescreen computer displays are mainly intended for computers used, at least sometimes, to display entertainment; data processing tends to use 4:3. Widescreen computer displays are typically of the 1.6 (8:5, typically written as 16:10) aspect ratio. "True" widescreen (16:9) monitors can be found in resolutions of 1024x576, 1152x648, 1280x720, 1600x900, and 1920x1080. Apple's 27" iMac introduced a new 16:9 resolution: 2560x1440 in late 2009. Widescreen monitors are since 2008 the mainstream standard for computer displays

Anti Aliasing

Anti-aliasing is used to reduce stair-step patterns on the edges of polygons in games. It gives a smoother, slightly blurred look to the edges. Full scene anti-aliasing renders each frame at a larger resolution, than scaling it down to fit the actual screen resolution. This feature can lower the frame rate by a large amount, while increasing quality by a small amount. Usually, increasing the screen resolution is a better trade-off than turning on anti-aliasing. Anti-aliasing is only useful for games when a lot of extra graphics performance is available. Intel chipsets with integrated graphics do not support full scene anti-aliasing. Anti-aliased lines are supported in OpenGL* applications.

Vertical Synchronization

Enabling VSync tells your graphics card to synchronize its actions with your monitor. That means the graphics card is only allowed to swap its frame buffer and send a new frame to the monitor when the monitor says it is ready to repaint a new screen - i.e. during the VBI. Your graphics card and monitor do not have to be in sync; they can still operate properly when VSync is disabled, however when VSync is disabled, you can experience a phenomenon called Tearing in periods when your graphics card and monitor go out of sync, precisely because the graphics card and monitor are acting without regard for each other's limitations.

Edge Detect

Edge detection is a fundamental tool in image processing and computer vision, particularly in the areas of feature detection and feature extraction, which aim at identifying points in a digital image at which the image brightness changes sharply or, more formally, has discontinuities.

Triple Buffering

In computer science, multiple buffering is the use of more than one buffer to hold a block of data, so that a "reader" will see a complete (though perhaps old) version of the data, rather than a partially-updated version of the data being created by a "writer". It also is used to avoid the need to use Dual-ported RAM when the readers and writers are different devices. In computer graphics, triple buffering is similar to double buffering but provides a speed improvement. In double buffering the program must wait until the finished drawing is copied or swapped before starting the next drawing. This waiting period could be several milliseconds during which neither buffer can be touched.

Graphic Settings

Texture Detail

This usually refers to how large or how many textures are used in the game. Large textures can take up a lot of video memory, but this can be alleviated by using texture compression, if supported by the game

Texture Compression

As mentionened above, texture compression is a method of reducing the amount of memory and memory bandwidth required for textures with a small reduction in visual quality. In certain games, where a low-resolution texture is used for a large surface (like a sky image), significant color banding can be seen if texture compression is enabled. A combination of enabling texture compression and high texture detail results in a good balance of quality and performance in many games.

Texture Filtering

In computer graphics, texture filtering is the method used to determine the texture color for a texture mapped pixel, using the colors of nearby texels (pixels of the texture). In short, it blends the texture pixels together by breaking them up into tinier pixels. Another term for texture filtering is called texture smoothing. There are many methods of texture filtering, which make different trade-offs between computational complexity and image quality. Since texture filtering is an attempt to find a value at some point given a set of discrete samples at nearby points, it is a form of interpolation.

Bilinear filtering

Bilinear filtering is the next step up. In this method the four nearest texels to the pixel center are sampled (at the closest mipmap level), and their colors are combined by weighted average according to distance. This removes the 'blockiness' seen during magnification, as there is now a smooth gradient of color change from one texel to the next, instead of an abrupt jump as the pixel center crosses the texel boundary. Bilinear filtering is almost invariably used with mipmapping; though it can be used without, it would suffer the same aliasing and shimmering problems as its nearest neighbor.

Trilinear filtering

Trilinear filtering is a remedy to a common artifact seen in mipmapped bilinearly filtered images: an abrupt and very noticeable change in quality at boundaries where the renderer switches from one mipmap level to the next. Trilinear filtering solves this by doing a texture lookup and bilinear filtering on the two closest mipmap levels (one higher and one lower quality), and then linearly interpolating the results. This results in a smooth degradation of texture quality as distance from the viewer increases, rather than a series of sudden drops. Of course, closer than Level 0 there is only one mipmap level available, and the algorithm reverts to bilinear filtering.

Anisotropic filtering

Anisotropic filtering is the highest quality filtering available in current consumer 3D graphics cards. It evolved because both bilinear and trilinear filtering sample a square from the texture, which is only correct if the viewer is looking at the texture head-on. This results in blurriness when the textured surface is at an oblique angle - a very common case is the floor as it recedes into the distance. Anisotropic filtering corrects this by sampling in the correct trapezoid shape according to view angle. The resulting samples are then trilinearly filtered to generate the final color.

Shadow Quality

Be warned, setting the shadow quality too high for your PC will bring it to its knees - work from a low setting and raise it.

Enhanced Shadows

See above, if it runs fine on high shadow quality, try running enhanced shadows

Water Quality

Same as shadow quality, be careful as this can cripple your game and FPS, I my self have it set to low as I'm not really interested in water when I'm shooting at tanks mainly, but if you have the Pc with the power, set it to where your system can handle, or start low and go up from there.

Water Simulation

Same as Enhanced shadows really.. Set simulation on if it runs fine on high water quality

Foliage Quality

This is basically how nice your greenery will look, tree's, bushes, grass.. Set to where you're computer can handle..

Flora Density

The Density or grass and other nice things, in my opinion it only adds more things to look through when searching, shooting for tanks so I leave it off, the decision is there for you to make though..

Advanced Post Processing

Note from Jaghammer
the only things i can say about Advanced Post Processing are:
-when i turn it on my FPS will increase and the water is not visible.
-when i turn of Advanced Post Processing without restart the game i can see water with same FPS.
-when i do it with restart my FPS will decrease a lot.

Post Processing

This setting controls the various post-processing effects - so called because they're applied after the image has already been composed. In other words they're additional layers of effect on top of the current image which enhance or adjust the image to look better or more stylized. This setting has a major impact on performance, especially at the higher levels.

Draw Distance

Draw distance is a computer graphics term, defined as the distance in a three dimensional scene that is still drawn by the rendering engine. Polygons that lie behind the draw distance won't be drawn to the screen. As the draw distance increases more distant polygons need to be drawn onto the screen that would regularly be clipped. This requires more computing power. This means the graphic quality and realism of the scene will increase as draw distance increases, but the overall performance (frames per second) will decrease. Many games and applications will allow users to manually set the draw distance to balance performance and visuals. Draw Distance should always be set to highest setting possible, because if you can't see the tanks, you can't shoot them can you?

Object LOD

In computer graphics, accounting for level of detail involves decreasing the complexity of a 3D object representation as it moves away from the viewer or according other metrics such as object importance, eye-space speed or position. Level of detail techniques increases the efficiency of rendering by decreasing the workload on graphics pipeline stages, usually vertex transformations. The reduced visual quality of the model is often unnoticed because of the small effect on object appearance when distant or moving fast.

UPDATED FOR 8.0 SETTINGS (Taken from WG's news update)

Version 8.0 is the biggest and most fundamental update to World of Tanks since the release of the game.  This is mainly due to the huge changes coming in the form of new physics and new graphics.  The new physics have already been examined extensively in other articles and videos.  This time we are going to take a closer look at the graphics.

The new renders are the result of recent improvements to graphical processing to take into account up-to-date software and hardware.  Thanks to these improvements, game developers now have the option to add a lot more graphical elements.  Previously, making the maps more complex would result in performance issues on many machines – if they work at all.  However, newer methods of graphical processing now present them with more options.  Version 8.0 represents the beginning of a long period of work on World of Tanks that will see many new features added to the game as well as existing ones being optimized.

The new rendering works by rationally distributing the workload between the CPU and the video adapter   This allows even lower-spec computers to process a lot more elements simultaneously and means that the majority of players will be able to play the game using the improved graphics.  The renders have been optimized  so even those with lower-end PCs or laptops should be able to play comfortably.  However, there is the option to choose between the old and new graphics if you have a preference.  Just pick ‘standard’ for the old graphics and ‘improved’ for the new.  Just be aware that the old and new systems are being rendered by completely different systems.  This means that if you choose ‘standard graphics’, some settings in the game may be unavailable for you.

Please note that switching to the new graphics may cause some issues with your automated settings adjustment.  If there is a drop in performance after enabling the new graphics, you may have to dedicate some time to performing a re-tuning of your game settings.

Spoiler                     

Posted Image

• Lighting Quality: In the new renders, lighting is calculated in much greater detail.  This makes for much more realistic and picturesque maps, with deeper landscapes.  There are transitions between the light and dark parts that you see and this setting adjusts the level at which that occurs.  If you have a low-end video adapter  we advise that you turn this setting to minimum quality, or turn it off completely.  This setting is only available when using the new renders.
  • Shadow Quality:  Shadows have been completely reworked in the new renders, and their display now matches the read scale of the object and its position relative to the source of light.  Shadows are fully dynamic – if a tree shakes, the shadows echo the action; if a pole falls, the shadow will fall with it.  All this requires processing and can drain a lot from overall system performance.  If you have any concerns about computer power and resources, then keep this option set to low.  This setting is only available when using the new renders.
  • Water Quality:  Water display has been improved and new effects have been added, such as splashes, mirroring and impact circles.  This feature is primarily handled by the video adapter  so lowering the quality will improve performance.  This setting is only available when using the new renders.
  • Decals Quality: This setting is responsible for the level of detail that you see, such as mud tracks, fallen leaves and heaped earth.  The more small details you want to see in the game, the more computer memory is required.  This means that the amount of memory you have is instrumental for this setting.  Users of low end computers are recommended to set this option to low, or completely disable it. This setting is only available when using the new renders
  • Texture Quality:  This sets the amount of detail you see on all surfaces in the game, both on vehicles and on the landscape.  This can also take its toll on computer memory, so for older computers, we advise you set it to low.  This option is available in both the new and old renders.
  • Foliage Quality:  On the maps which were reworked in Version 8.0, the trees were revised and optimized   On the other maps, this work in in progress and will be released in future updates.  This setting is affected by video driver performance and the size of the video memory, so reduce it on lower-spec machines.  The highest level of quality is only available with the new renders.
  • Flora Quality: This option is responsible for the detail of grass and low bushes, those too small to hide a vehicle in.  It is dependent on video adapter performance and memory.  This setting is only available when using the new renders.  Please be aware that this option is still undergoing optimization.
  • Extra Effects:  This includes the display of smoke, dust, sparks, flames, explosions and so on.  All of these objects depend on both video adapter and CPU, and so we recommend that you set it to the lowest level possible unless you have a powerful computer.  This option is available in both the old and new renders.
  • Extra Effects in Sniper Mode: This option affects the display of smoke, dust, flame etc. in sniper mode.  The developers are aware of an issue where performance drops in sniper mode.  Set this option to minimum to reduce the effect of the problem.  The developers are currently working on a full solution for this issue and a fix will be released in a future update.
  • Post Processing:  This affects different graphical effects such as fog and bloom.  This option is reliant on video adapter performance and memory.  On lower end PCs, we recommend it is set to minimum or turned off completely.  This setting is only available when using the new renders.
  • Draw Distance: This option sets how far into the battlefield is displayed.  This option depends on overall system performance, so users of less powerful PCs are advised to set it to ‘Medium’ or ‘Low’.  This option is available with both old and new renders.
  • Object LOD:  This option determines the number of details in the environment.  It is dependent on video adapter performance and memory.  On older PCs, we strongly advise you to set it to medium’ or ‘Low.  The option is available with both old and new renders.

Reducing all these settings to minimum could result in a FPS increase of 50%.  Please note that there is currently a known issue with anti-aliasing, and a temporary solution has been implemented.  The developers are working to fix this problem.

If after changing all settings to minimum, you are still not getting a playable FPS rate, we recommend that you use the standard (old) graphics setting.  This option will always be present in the game, but we do not plan to add any additional graphical features to it in the future.  Overall optimization and improvement of the landscape display on all maps will be performed gradually and released over the next few game updates.

The improved graphics introduced to the game in the 8.0 update is just a first step.  Optimization and improvements will continue to ensure that all players can enjoy World of Tanks at its best.
The developers wish to thank everyone who took part in the long public test for this update.  The substantial feedback that was provided meant that the vast majority of reported bugs and problems with the render have been fixed.

XxBigEyexX #2 Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:43 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 2054 battles
Great guide! deff helped me alot, :Smile_great:

+1

SimonK #3 Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:48 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 11841 battles
  • [RDDT2] RDDT2
Nice guide.

Might want to add that in order to stay competitive, it is necessary to keep the draw distance at maximum setting. Otherwise you will simply not be able to snipe.

Just an input from me :)

waylander1 #4 Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:02 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 7791 battles
Agree about the draw distance and LOD, i have to run the game on low settings but have to keep the draw distance and object LOD at high as when i tried them on low and medium it made the game so hard to play with my TD's

ArtofWars #5 Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:14 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 16347 battles

View PostSimonK, on 18 May 2011 - 09:48 AM, said:

Nice guide.

Might want to add that in order to stay competitive, it is necessary to keep the draw distance at maximum setting. Otherwise you will simply not be able to snipe.

Just an input from me :)

Added :)

Jaghammer #6 Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:52 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 11224 battles
  • [-RD_] -RD_
-when i turn of Advanced Post Processing without restart the game i can see water with same FPS.

my graphiccard
8800GT with 1024MB GDDR3
the rest of my PC is not relevant i think

ArtofWars #7 Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:11 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 16347 battles

View PostJaghammer, on 18 May 2011 - 08:52 PM, said:

my graphiccard
8800GT with 1024MB GDDR3
the rest of my PC is not relevant i think

added it in, I've still yet to find an appropriate  explanation for the advanced part of port processing..

Jaghammer #8 Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:48 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 11224 battles
  • [-RD_] -RD_
may be, APP means some HDR-Features, like Transparacy-AA or Multisamplling-AA. its probably a DX 10 Feature.
may be someone with WinXP give a comment to this whether it is availible.
and one more i want to note: its directly linked with Enhanced Shadows and Edge Detect AA.

Regards JAG

RoyaleWithCheese #9 Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:03 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 489 battles
Thanks :) Can explain why my AA is grayed out? I run a HD 5850 so...

EndlessWaves #10 Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:33 AM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 4538 battles

View PostRoyaleWithCheese, on 25 May 2011 - 04:03 PM, said:

Thanks :) Can explain why my AA is grayed out? I run a HD 5850 so...

You've probably got post-processing turned on, you can only have one or the other.

IGITSIBill70 #11 Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:57 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 3156 battles
  • [GITS-] GITS-
:Smile_honoring:  Nice work on the post very informative ,,  also very helpful ,Respect and Salutations Mon Captain !!
:Smile-bajan2:

MANTE87 #12 Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:25 AM

Private

• Player
  • 8889 battles
Hi

I am new to this game and I have a question about graphic. When i enter the game and started to play, i can clearly see my tank, but not of my team or enemy's tank. I can't see then on the map, like there are not there.

I have Intel®Core2 DUO E7500 @ 2.93 GHz.
Memory 4,00 Gb.
System type: 32-bit Operating System

If anybody can help me please.

ArtofWars #13 Posted 30 May 2011 - 02:04 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 16347 battles

View PostMANTE87, on 30 May 2011 - 09:25 AM, said:

Hi

I am new to this game and I have a question about graphic. When i enter the game and started to play, i can clearly see my tank, but not of my team or enemy's tank. I can't see then on the map, like there are not there.

I have Intel®Core2 DUO E7500 @ 2.93 GHz.
Memory 4,00 Gb.
System type: 32-bit Operating System

If anybody can help me please.

Check that your graphic drivers are up to date pal?

Italianmoose #14 Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:09 PM

Private

• Player
  • 219 battles
I would try a re-install, this happened to me because the installer got confused and didn't quite finish the dx installation. Installing it and making sure nothing stops it (eg. an antivirus) may help. Though I think updating your graphics drivers would be quicker and would probably fix it.

caer #15 Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:14 PM

Private

• Player
  • 483 battles
Hello! I would like to add some additional info about some of the settings, particularly how they relate to WoT. I have included some screenshots to explain the differences in some cases :)

Screen Resolution
Higher resolutions can be helpful for seeing what enemy tanks are doing at a distance - whether they're aiming at you, which direction they're facing, that sort of thing.

If you have an LCD monitor (quite likely these days), the game will look its best at the monitor's native resolution - for 17" widescreens this is usually something like 1440 x 900, while for 21" screens it's something like 1680 x 1050. Usually Windows is smart about picking the right resolution - in Windows 7 if you right-click the desktop and choose the Screen Resolution option, the native resolution will have (recommended) by it in the Resolution drop-down list.

If you have an old CRT monitor, it has no native resolution, so just set it as high as both your monitor and your graphics card can handle. Note that some CRT monitors will quite happily let you set a resolution higher than they can support, so be careful.

Wide-screen Mode
Make sure this is set appropriately for the shape of your monitor, otherwise the 3D parts of the game will look stretched or squashed horizontally. If you're using a CRT monitor, the ratio will almost certainly be 4:3; otherwise, to find out what ratio you should be using, divide your monitor's native horizontal resolution by the vertical and read off this list:
  • 1.6 = 16:10
  • 1.777 = 16:9
  • 1.333 = 4:3
  • 1.9 = 19:10
As an example, here's a 16:9 screen with WoT set properly (top) and to 4:3 mode (bottom):
Posted Image

Texture Quality
Lower settings mean the textures on objects and the ground look blurrier. The edges between the shapes that make up these objects remain sharp, however, so you can reduce this setting and the game will still look quite good, albeit a bit more old-school.

This image shows the game set to low texture quality, while this one shows the same scene but with high texture quality.

Texture Compression
With high quality textures this can actually provide a framerate boost as sending a compressed texture to the graphics card then decompressing it can be faster than sending the uncompressed texture. With low quality textures it probably won't help.

Texture Filtering
Controls how WoT handles drawing of textures at a distance and at a shallow angle.

• Point basically means the game uses the same texture regardless of distance or angle, resulting in very 'busy' or 'noisy' textures, especially when moving.

• Bilinear tries to alleviate the noise by using progressively smaller versions of the textures as distance increases or angle gets narrower, The downside is that these changes in texture size are rather abrupt, and due to the way the textures are stored, the effect is a little too strong - as you get closer to something the texture will suddenly 'pop' to a higher-detail version.

• Trilinear is similar to bilinear, except it smooths the transitions between texture sizes.

• Anisotropic is like a more advanced version of trilinear, in that it also performs some complex 3D transformations to the texture before drawing it at an angle. Higher settings of anisotropic filtering use more detailed textures for the calculations, hence are slower. To be honest you'll barely notice the difference in actual gameplay above 4x.
Here's a screenshot demonstrating what the different settings look like:
Posted Image
From left to right: point, bilinear, trilinear, anisotropic 2x, anisotropic 16x.

Shadow Quality
Controls how detailed the shadows cast by tanks are. Buildings and trees don't normally cast shadows. I'd recommend setting this to Low if your framerate needs help, as it makes very little visual difference. You could even set it to OFF, although tanks look a bit weird then.

Enhanced Shadows
Note: the Advanced Post Processing option must be set to ON for this setting to be available.

This option makes shadows slightly more realistic in terms of brightness, and also causes trees and foliage to cast shadows. On my computer is also makes the shadows cast on the tank itself quite flickery, not sure if that's common though.

If you're struggling with framerate, you've probably already turned off Advanced Post Processing, so this option doesn't really matter.

Water Quality
Basically, how much gets reflected in water. On Low, only the sky does, but on High, everything does (tanks, buildings, structures etc.). Looks kinda weird on Low, but obviously doesn't affect gameplay a great deal. Setting it to high has quite a big impact on framerate.

Also note that while changing from High to Low doesn't require a restart, going the other way does, even though the game won't say so.

Foliage Quality
Doesn't look a whole lot better on High - the lighting on foliage looks a bit better, that's all.

Flora Density
Like TheArtOfWar said, it just gets in the way, and it can be confusing as to what's foliage (which you can hide behind) and what's flora (which you can't).

Post Processing
Adds minor distortion effects like heat haze and optical effects (around the edge of the barrel in boresight view). Also causes the greyed-out appearance you see when in spectator mode after your tank's been destroyed.

Advanced Post Processing
In addition to enabling Enhanced Shadows, it also applies a depth-of-field effect to simulate a real camera. Basically, whatever you're looking at is in focus, and things closer or further away will be slightly blurry. Has a significant impact on framerate, and doesn't look that convincing anyway. Moreover, it can be distracting and hinders your ability to properly survey the battlefield.

Draw Distance
In a nutshell, the maximum distance at which the game will draw things - any things, including tanks, buildings and the landscape itself. And like TheArtOfWar said, you should always have this on maximum, even if it dents your framerate; seeing things jerkily is better than not seeing them at all :)

Object LOD
How far away to start using less-detailed versions of objects like tanks, trees and so on. The lower the settings, the closer the low-detailed versions will start being used, although to be honest the difference isn't that noticeable in combat.

ArtofWars #16 Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:56 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 16347 battles
Very nice pal, i'll get that all updated into the OP when i get chance.. combine the two.. Give you credit as well of course :)

IGITSIBill70 #17 Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:16 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 3156 battles
  • [GITS-] GITS-
Nice work as well too you Caer    :Smile_honoring:    I@ve been trying too find more information on all those settings ,, Betwenn yourself and   xTheArtOfWarx ,I've now finally got a hell of a better chance of having some fun games ...  
Thank you to the pair of you !!!     :Smile-bajan2:  :Smile_harp:    :Smile_great:

Paaranoja #18 Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:19 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 26117 battles
  • [KAZNA] KAZNA
I have all settings maxed out, but i cant see reflections of my tank in the water... anyone know why?

IGITSIBill70 #19 Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:52 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 3156 battles
  • [GITS-] GITS-

View PostPaaranoja, on 09 June 2011 - 03:19 PM, said:

I have all settings maxed out, but i cant see reflections of my tank in the water... anyone know why?

Since reading your post ,I've kept an eye out in my games, too see if I could see any reflections of my own vehicle in water surfaces ,,unfortunately I wasnt able too ,,though I could see reflections of mountains and other " background objects", Trying too adjust the angle of view I found I wasnt able to get a good angle of my own vehicle in relation to the water surface ,,so I'm thinking it cant be done due too design of game mechanics ,maybe I'm wrong  tho not sure ,just thought I'd post whaht I've found !!!   :Smile_honoring:

Naruto17141 #20 Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:24 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4660 battles
  • [G-B-H] G-B-H
so which settings increase fps?