What is this tank ammunition?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

smith841 #1 Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:04 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 17675 battles

As an ex-tank commander in the British Army I know all about HESH, APDS and APFSDS but what is the first ammunition sort shown in this clip? It appears that only the rear section of the round is revolving.

http://youtu.be/lWn_NhYzD_Y

Fishmachine #2 Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:36 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 5708 battles
Nope, it revolves as a whole, but only the rear part is covered in checkered pattern that makes it much more visible.

ricksbt #3 Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:56 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 17924 battles

Its a Rocket Propelled and/or Guided round of some sort. At 0:15 you can see additional material being ejected and what looks like rocket efflux from ports at mid-body. Many missiles have their exhaust nozzles around there, to leave the rear clear for guidance receivers etc, and a number of unboosted guided rounds have guidance motors around mid-body. In some cases the guidance motors consist of a number of 'one shot' devices, in which case rotating the round and firing one of the remaining motors when it rolls into the correct orientation is the way things work.

My money is on a guided round, with the caps that protect the guidance motors from the stresses and pressures of the gun being blown free at 0:15. I could be totally wrong though - I often am!

EW_Bill70 #4 Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:32 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 3393 battles
  • [GITS-] GITS-
Having watched that vid a couple of times ,,it looks like something from  a Russian tank ,, I'd agree in that it possibly is a missile of some type , and yup the whole round is rotating took a couple of views to see it but later on in the video you can clearly see the whole round rotating ....   one of the rounds (later on in vid) looks tobe of a cannister type .....

smith841 #5 Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:23 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 17675 battles

View PostFishmachine, on 04 April 2014 - 08:36 AM, said:

Nope, it revolves as a whole, but only the rear part is covered in checkered pattern that makes it much more visible.

Just looked at it again in 720HD and you are right, the whole round is revolving. Thanks for that. Why would you want a rocket assisted round anyway? In my day (I left in '86) APFSDS with a muzzle velocity of almost 2000 m/s was more than enough to do the job. Also I understand more tank kills in recent conflicts are attributed to engagements with HESH ammunition (850 m/s) than higher velocity rounds.

Yes, from 55 seconds in the film it is a cannister round. I fired that round during a firepower demonstration at Lulworth using the Scorpion 76mm. For cannister a shorter barrel is needed to get the best effect. Cannister was almost never fired because of it's limited use in battle and it wears out the gun barrel quicker than other ammunition types.

Edited by smith841, 05 April 2014 - 06:24 AM.

tigerstripey #6 Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:37 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 63 battles

Is it a Bleed base round?

Not actual propelled, but a reduction of drag...

South africans got huge arty distances from their bleed base rounds.

Boo_Bee #7 Posted 01 August 2016 - 09:16 PM

Clan Commander

• Clan Commander
  • 33270 battles
  • [BL33T] BL33T
It is a APFSDS  Armor Piercing Fin Stabilized Discarding Sabot 

Boo_Bee #8 Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:13 AM

Clan Commander

• Clan Commander
  • 33270 battles
  • [BL33T] BL33T

View Postricksbt, on 04 April 2014 - 08:56 AM, said:

Its a Rocket Propelled and/or Guided round of some sort. At 0:15 you can see additional material being ejected and what looks like rocket efflux from ports at mid-body. Many missiles have their exhaust nozzles around there, to leave the rear clear for guidance receivers etc, and a number of unboosted guided rounds have guidance motors around mid-body. In some cases the guidance motors consist of a number of 'one shot' devices, in which case rotating the round and firing one of the remaining motors when it rolls into the correct orientation is the way things work.

My money is on a guided round, with the caps that protect the guidance motors from the stresses and pressures of the gun being blown free at 0:15. I could be totally wrong though - I often am!

Just flies where you point it. Cant steer it. The material flying off is a mounting ring being discarded to reduce drag.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users