T29 is rubbish

• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

ARP69 #1 Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:44 PM

Private

• Player
  • 6861 battles

ok I'm confused.

Read a lot of good things about this tank but since I got it and after 15/16 battles (fortunately, I had alot of free XP to upgrade gun and suspension immediately) I'm totally underwhelmed. The side/rear armor just gets pen'd all the time by worse tanks (possibly even a passing boy's with catapults, as far as I can see). The gun takes 8 years to reload and when I fire at any range over say 200m, I've gotten 'fail to pen' almost permanently (with normal AP). I actually got more pens with the 90mm, as far as I can see against the same tanks. I've tried long range/short range tactics and just getting trashed whatever I do. I generally need a little time to get used to a new tank but WTF..........

Am I just being unlucky?

Hexen #2 Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:48 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 20050 battles
  • [ORCA] ORCA

It's a great tank like the T34 and It has the turret from hell, that's what the tank is all about.  Keep the hull covered just showing your turret and you can't go wrong.

Edited by LtStrangleyPink, 04 April 2014 - 05:50 PM.

VeryRisky #3 Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:31 PM

General

• Player
  • 16691 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostARP69, on 04 April 2014 - 05:44 PM, said:

ok I'm confused.

Read a lot of good things about this tank but since I got it and after 15/16 battles (fortunately, I had alot of free XP to upgrade gun and suspension immediately) I'm totally underwhelmed. The side/rear armor just gets pen'd all the time by worse tanks (possibly even a passing boy's with catapults, as far as I can see). The gun takes 8 years to reload and when I fire at any range over say 200m, I've gotten 'fail to pen' almost permanently (with normal AP). I actually got more pens with the 90mm, as far as I can see against the same tanks. I've tried long range/short range tactics and just getting trashed whatever I do. I generally need a little time to get used to a new tank but WTF..........

Am I just being unlucky?

I always assume I have 0 side and rear armour in all my US tanks.  You have a decent record with the T1 HT and 6 so you should used to it.

Imo it is a mistake to go for the top gun early.  Without the turret you have a reduced rof and the accurate 90mm isn't such a bad gun to play with while you get there.   

Edited by VeryRisky, 04 April 2014 - 07:31 PM.

hedi2222 #4 Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:37 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 24917 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
excuse me , but you are rubbish 
i didnt even going to read the post , as apparently its another whine thread about how much you suck in this tank judging from the title
WELL GUESS WHAT ? tier 8 game , i do most dmg of 3k in t29 and i get killed by a luchs , i aint even mad :)

borbelydavid360 #5 Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:10 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 8091 battles

T29 rubbish? What the frack?

"The side/rear armor just gets pen'd"

76mm is nothing that bad at T7, rear armor? How do you get penetrated on the rear? What are you doing?

Gun fails to penetrate? Well, that is only your problem, because 198mm penetration is perfectly enough.

IMO this tank is just another example of how badly WG fails when it comes to balancing.. Stop saying that it is "borderline op; etc etc" , and admit that it is OP, nuff said. Decent hull armor, angled front is very okay against D-25T (I fear a T29 front more than a KT-joke front with an IS, standard loaded up), perfectly gold-proof turret, very small and pretty tough cupola, OK mobility, more view range than Tiger, godlike gun depression, and IMO ok gun. It is certainly a competitive gun for a T7 HT, balanced. RoF is BTW is okay with the upgraded turret.. Still low-ish DPM, but you have to pay something for the very good aim time, decent acc(compared to D-25T), good pen (again, compared to D-25T), and higher alpha than 8.8 cm guns..

Edited by borbelydavid360, 04 April 2014 - 08:11 PM.

steview162 #6 Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:18 PM

Colonel

• Clan Diplomat
  • 30402 battles
  • [-T-O-] -T-O-

View Posthedi2222, on 04 April 2014 - 07:37 PM, said:

excuse me , but you are rubbish 
i didnt even going to read the post , as apparently its another whine thread about how much you suck in this tank judging from the title
WELL GUESS WHAT ? tier 8 game , i do most dmg of 3k in t29 and i get killed by a luchs , i aint even mad :)

And you seem to be a bit of a tit.

OP you really need the top turret, and to check out places you can hull down with it, because, as you say, the hull is paper. Even the top turrets sides and rear are paper, but get the reds in front of you, get hull-down, and you are one of the most difficult tanks to take out. 

borbelydavid360 #7 Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:27 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 8091 battles

View Poststeview162, on 04 April 2014 - 09:18 PM, said:

the hull is paper. Even the top turrets sides and rear are paper

BS. Seriously what do you guys want? Hull front is probably the best for a T7 HT after the P Tiger & BP. Seriously, steview, KT über alles in der welt, stronk armor, what about T29? No, paper, ofc. 80mm/T8 clearly > 76mm / T7. Same for hull front, tier/tier KT isn't better at all.. Better turret shape, 120mm sides at T7? Pure thrash. 80mm at T8? KT stronk.

I seriously don't understand all the whine on the hull of the T29, and especially don't understand the turret sides. And why do you even mention turret rear? Who cares turret rear armor (which is BTW perfectly okay, best for T7 tank AFAIK)?

Edited by borbelydavid360, 04 April 2014 - 08:33 PM.

steview162 #8 Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:44 PM

Colonel

• Clan Diplomat
  • 30402 battles
  • [-T-O-] -T-O-

View Postborbelydavid360, on 04 April 2014 - 08:27 PM, said:

BS. Seriously what do you guys want? Hull front is probably the best for a T7 HT after the P Tiger & BP. Seriously, steview, KT über alles in der welt, stronk armor, what about T29? No, paper, ofc. 80mm/T8 clearly > 76mm / T7. Same for hull front, tier/tier KT isn't better at all.. Better turret shape, 120mm sides at T7? Pure thrash. 80mm at T8? KT stronk.

I seriously don't understand all the whine on the hull of the T29, and especially don't understand the turret sides. And why do you even mention turret rear? Who cares turret rear armor (which is BTW perfectly okay, best for T7 tank AFAIK)?

Sorry if I wasn't being clear there, but I wasn't complaining about the tank, I was just pointing out the weaknesses of it for the OP, so letting him know how best to use it, as in get hulldown, and don't let them flank you. I try not to complain, it is after all pointless :teethhappy:

Rico4uk #9 Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:48 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 43554 battles

Tier 7 heavies are very well balanced imo. All have the potential to carry battles, all for different reasons. the T29 is an epic tank. People say its hull is paper, I think only because the turret is so well armored. 102mm front hull armor, angled, can bounce a lot. 76mm sides + tracks give good sidescraping ability. Turret armor is beastly compared to other tier 7 heavies, sides and rear are still well armored.

Gun is the best tier 7 gun. 198mm pen+decent alpha+average rof, is a mix of the other tier 7 guns. Tiger has good pen and insane rof now, let down when forced in to peek-a-boo situations. IS/KV-3 massive alpha, long reload, average pen, great for brawling, let down when caught in the open. T29 can suit either scenario. I've enjoyed every tier 7 heavy I've played (T29, Tiger, Tiger P, IS and KV-3), there is no bad tier 7 heavy, maybe the BP can be hard to play? (Ive not played it). Get the top turret and the increased Rof will be a very nice welcome for you.

Ulltussa #10 Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29040 battles

I have played(got it yesterday) about 30 battles and i like it.

Havent the top gun but 90 mm is enough.

A good tank

Edit : Great tank

Edited by Ulltussa, 04 April 2014 - 09:27 PM.

ollonborre #11 Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:42 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 16924 battles
Broken tank more like it.

SmileyMan73 #12 Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:59 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 13171 battles
  • [MACE] MACE

T29 Rubbish.

Analysing........................................................

ANALYSIS COMPLETED!!

Problem found: Issue between Seat and Keyboard. 

Solution: Learn to play it. Its an hull down MONSTER

DtXpwnz #13 Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:21 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10434 battles
  • [NIHIL] NIHIL

View PostARP69, on 04 April 2014 - 06:44 PM, said:

Am I just being unlucky?

No, you are just bad. And you don't know how to play it properly.

http://www.noobmeter...RP69/516984998/

T29 has one of the best hulldowns in the game, only T32, T34 and T30 can beat it in this discipline. Turret regularly bounces tier 9s, unless they overmatch the roof. Front is paper, but it is still possible to bounce even tier 7s, if you angle it.

Sidescraping works great even against tier 9s, because sidearmor with these huge tracks is actually damn strong.

Why am I even trying... just learn how to play it properly.

ARP69 #14 Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:58 PM

Private

• Player
  • 6861 battles

"Imo it is a mistake to go for the top gun early.  Without the turret you have a reduced rof"

Ok. I get the turret. I upgraded this has helped a lot. Getting on better with this tank last 8 battles and maybe its a simple getting used to it issue. However, compared to the M6 which I really enjoyed from the 'get go' and which I've found IMO to be the best all round tier VI tank, I was I think rather disappointed with the T29 (maybe it reminded me to much of the KV1-S with slow reload etc), particularly after reading how good people thought it was. Maybe it simply doesn't suit my play style.

However, still getting pen'd regularly in the turret even when trying to hull down but i guess that a acpr issue, which I'm fine with. I'm certainly not one of those whiner's who go on about 'gold noob's'..... God those people make me sick. Personally though doesn't having to find 'hull down' positions rather limit its use..... Anyway, I guess I find out. Judgement on tank now moving from rubbish to simply disappointing.......

steview162 #15 Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:56 PM

Colonel

• Clan Diplomat
  • 30402 battles
  • [-T-O-] -T-O-

View PostARP69, on 05 April 2014 - 02:58 PM, said:

Personally though doesn't having to find 'hull down' positions rather limit its use.....

That is the nature of american heavies; very good turrets, with good gun depression, and comparatively bad hulls. Use ridgelines, wrecks, boulders, teammates, or whatever you can find, and your going to have fun.

Edit like this guy did, :ohmy: :teethhappy::honoring:

http://forum.worldof...73#entry7609573

Edited by steview162, 05 April 2014 - 03:59 PM.

ShadowNetBG #16 Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:44 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8441 battles
It's by far the best t7 heavy tank. Try using the russian wiki for some tips and tricks http://translate.goo....wargaming.net/

DtXpwnz #17 Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:02 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10434 battles
  • [NIHIL] NIHIL

View PostARP69, on 05 April 2014 - 03:58 PM, said:

However, still getting pen'd regularly in the turret even when trying to hull down but i guess that a acpr issue, which I'm fine with. I'm certainly not one of those whiner's who go on about 'gold noob's'..... God those people make me sick. Personally though doesn't having to find 'hull down' positions rather limit its use..... Anyway, I guess I find out. Judgement on tank now moving from rubbish to simply disappointing.......

Where exactly and by who? Turret is very hard to pen even for tier 9s shooting gold. However there is couple of weakspots. Cupola ofcourse, turret cheeks right next to the mantlet can be penned by guns with like 220+pen. The little triangle above mantlet has very low armor and roof is like 30mm, it can be overmatched if hit.

The biggest weakspot is by far the cupola, hits into turret cheeks, roof or the triangle are just lucky.

Tip for you: if you got penned into turret, look where he penned you. Cupola hits = enemy knows what he is doing. Other hits = mostly luck.

Check XVM, if he is a good player, he will shoot at your cupola and you have to be more careful, peak after he shoots, make him make a mistake, or retreat and wait for him to come. If he is red army member, he was most likely just lucky.

Edited by DtXpwnz, 05 April 2014 - 07:06 PM.

ARP69 #18 Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:33 PM

Private

• Player
  • 6861 battles

Mmmmm starting to think I was just either unlucky in my early battles or simply came up against a lot of people who knew what they were doing. Had 1st battle on lakeside (?) where I found a good hull down position and felt the T29 love...... Had a was hit multiple times without many pens. though was down to 10% by end of battle and my gunner decided to spend halve battle shooting high, wide and handsome but still managed to get 1/3 more damage than anyone else on either side, killed 4 tanks etc etc etc. Had a couple of battle in Sand river where also got good results.

Still feels a little limited though in that if u aren't in genuinely good hulldown poss'es, you are very vulnerable but I guess that's the beauty of each individual tank. However moved from 'disappointed' to 'ok'

wjohnd #19 Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:02 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 12653 battles

View PostARP69, on 04 April 2014 - 05:44 PM, said:

ok I'm confused.

Am I just being unlucky?

Some tanks just take a while.. the T29 is a great tank but you need to avoid fire on the side/rear and in fact anywhere but your turret at the front.

Some tanks just don't suit a player as well as others. We all have one...for me while the Hellcat is a great tank  I suck at playing it 

Akhorahil_ #20 Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:49 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 18874 battles
Far and away the best tier 7 tank, but you have to know your hull-down tactics.

Increasing the mobility through Vents, BiA and better gas makes it a joy to drive, and with Vertical Stabilizers, it's a fantastic peek-a-boo tank. Just look out for a hill, dune or slope to fight at (preferably only mildly sloped - sharp slopes won't work for hull-down), and you should be golden.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users