Official Statement on game modifications

• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

Bazz62 #21 Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:19 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 17981 battles

Thank you WG i feel so much more enlightened having read your post, and feel like a great weight has come off my shoulders, i can now play with confidence knowing what mods i should not be using. :facepalm:

Have you thought of a second career in politics you would do well. you have the ability to narrate and put points across without stating anything pure class, watch out any upcoming Prime Ministers he will win an election hands down. :justwait:

krazek #22 Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:15 AM

Private

• Player
  • 8839 battles

View PostTonyWwW, on 11 April 2014 - 07:59 PM, said:

Oh thank you very Much iScending and the EU Community team for nothing.  I was hoping that at the very least we would have a taboo list and preferably a white list of mods to use/not use.  The last time I saw something with so many words saying nothing useful was a political statement :( 

The RU and NA servers can come up with a list WHY is it soooooo hard for EU to do one?  I am very dissapoint

Just in case you struggle to find the NA topic on banned mods it is here http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/339063-policy-on-prohibited-modifications/

WG EU guys, please delete your opening post and replace it with only this link above! NA guys made an obvious and clear description, they even put some effort in attaching some screenshot examples of what kind of modifications are forbidden!! 

It's worth faaar more than your empty political gibberish...

--- edit:

Read the above thread on NA forums, it is quite informative because their Community Manager is communicating with the people. I quote her post from Mar 13 2014 - 01:17: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/339063-policy-on-prohibited-modifications/page__st__40__pid__6770232#entry6770232

Block Quote

• Camera zoom is ok in either direction as long as it's not free-form. 
  • For now, the last know position is ok for mini-map use. Draw Distance and spotting range are ok as long as they are for your tank only. 

(I didn't read the whole 33 pages of the thread so it is possible that this information is no more up-to-date, but at least it gives a general orientation on the mentioned matters, which I think is concerning the majority of the players.)

Edited by krazek, 12 April 2014 - 08:21 AM.

soolerman #23 Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:30 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24311 battles

Well I seem to be in agreement with most people that this statement is worthless. It sounds good and I suspect the manager that commissioned it and agreed to its publication is very happy with it. Sadly management neo-political waffle is not what is needed. Mod developers and players should not be in this ridicules position of not knowing what is ok.

Wg should publish a basic list of mods that are ok to use. For a mod to get on to the list after that a forum post by the developer should be made and only when it receives, say 100 +1s, should it be added to the list. Or you could have it so a poll asking if the mod is considered cheating or not be added and only if it is voted as ok it would then be excepted to the list. The same could be done for getting a mod removed from the list.

Personally I don't use mods. I tried out the one that makes killed tanks go white. It was very good but did nothing for the game or me. I have never been tempted to use XVM or similar. But from what I have seen most mods add to or enhance game players awareness. So to me are cheating. If wg wanted the game to give the player that info in that way they would add it to the game. So if you add the mod to the game you are no longer playing the game as intended. That said sitting on the fence as wg are is just lazy and bad management failing to do its job.

blaster1112 #24 Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:05 AM

Private

• Player
  • 4121 battles
  • [CREME] CREME

So to my understanding:

Hitlogs are allowed.

XVM is allowed but the information about health isnt (health remaining on enemie tank is sth. that you cant see unless within render distance), but last known location is allowed because if you would look at your minimap the entire game and someone pops up for a second he will be able to move without you knowing (just like what happens with XVM, its just a reminder).

I am sure module skins (the ones that show you for instance where a driver is) are not allowed even though you could memorize it for every tank because this can give you a full combat advantage if you can see where you will be guaranteed an ammorack or sth.

For sure any mods that change your sounds are allowed (no altered performance just a better experience).Skins for your tank and garage are allowed as they dont give you any combat advantage.

The only real question is though:

Scope mods (making you able to zoom in/out further) are they allowed? because well, you wont get any accuracy advantages, they help me a little because i have a cheap mouse that isnt very accurate by zooming in more you can put you mouse over the target better but at the cost of some situational awereness.

blaster1112 #25 Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:08 AM

Private

• Player
  • 4121 battles
  • [CREME] CREME

View Postkrazek, on 12 April 2014 - 08:15 AM, said:

WG EU guys, please delete your opening post and replace it with only this link! NA guys made an obvious and clear description, they even put some effort in attaching some screenshot examples of what kind of modifications are forbidden!! 

It's worth faaar more than your empty political gibberish...

--- edit:

Read the above thread on NA forums, it is quite informative because their Community Manager is communicating with the people. I quote her post from Mar 13 2014 - 01:17: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/339063-policy-on-prohibited-modifications/page__st__40__pid__6770232#entry6770232

(I didn't read the whole 33 pages of the thread so it is possible that this information is no more up-to-date, but at least it gives a general orientation on the mentioned matters, which I think is concerning the majority of the players.)

i agree that the NA guys at least give a clear idea of what is allowed and what isnt. such as free cam etc.

JR_Julle #26 Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:26 AM

Private

• Player
  • 44464 battles
  • [-P4-] -P4-

This could be second best day of WOT history (best is WOT release).

Just make all mods NOT allowed in game , then game is how you (WG) wanted it to be.

Every mod give advantage to player against player who play without mods. (Everyone knows it, dont try deny that)

so, please , just make all mods not allowed (period)

atterdag #27 Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:21 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 31577 battles
  • [AOS] AOS
That typical Swedish fear of confrontation. How about manning up, and give us some straight answers for ones. I mean ... just try it - You might like it.

Maato #28 Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:26 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 25076 battles
  • [JJSF] JJSF

View PostJR_Julle, on 12 April 2014 - 10:26 AM, said:

This could be second best day of WOT history (best is WOT release).

Just make all mods NOT allowed in game , then game is how you (WG) wanted it to be.

Every mod give advantage to player against player who play without mods. (Everyone knows it, dont try deny that)

so, please , just make all mods not allowed (period)

I like this idea, when U download and install the game U get what U need / can use to play the game and all rest is not allowed. It's that simple and then all knows what is allowed and what is not, no need to do any colored list. And if someone has old and slow computer etc. and game is hard to play for them 'cause of that, that is their problem, so it's in other games too. I think it's only bad excuse to use mods that U have old and slow computer, or mouse ot what ever. If yours hardware can't run the game, buy better or don't play!

This might make things easier for MM too, 'cause all plays same game and same rules  and all MM needs to do (this is only example) is make difference to pings, gold shooters etc...

Maato #29 Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:57 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 25076 battles
  • [JJSF] JJSF

View PostMaato, on 12 April 2014 - 11:26 AM, said:

I like this idea, when U download and install the game U get what U need / can use to play the game and all rest is not allowed. It's that simple and then all knows what is allowed and what is not, no need to do any colored list. And if someone has old and slow computer etc. and game is hard to play for them 'cause of that, that is their problem, so it's in other games too. I think it's only bad excuse to use mods that U have old and slow computer, or mouse ot what ever. If yours hardware can't run the game, buy better or don't play!

This might make things easier for MM too, 'cause all plays same game and same rules  and all MM needs to do (this is only example) is make difference to pings, gold shooters etc...

I would like add to this something about rules overall, when U install this game U must agree the rules and there is said that English in chats only and still there R several players that either don't know English or they don't care that rule and that is really annoying too. It's hard try to play as team when there are players that uses different language.

WG should really start doing something about controlling those mods and language, those 2 things would make playing this game more fun and more like team when all plays same game and follows same rules and speaks same language

Malleted11 #30 Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13774 battles

View PostiScending, on 11 April 2014 - 02:59 PM, said:

Greetings everyone,

The last few months we have seen multiple threads and comments from players asking for a statement from the EU Community Team on “Game Modifications”. We've seen a lot of discussions about what’s good or bad, what should or shouldn't be allowed and mixed opinions regarding what is too much of an advantage. This has led to a lot of confusion and we would like to share some details regarding our stance in this. Firstly we would like to make clear the following point: 

This statement isn't about presenting a list of officially sanctioned specific mods – this statement is to give you an idea of our perception regarding what’s considered “Fair Play” in World of Tanks. 

There are various different mods that can be used to improve your gameplay by way of convenience and personalization. Examples of mods that would fall into this category would be mods that let you select a different shaped/colored cross-hairs, a different 6th sense symbol instead of the light bulb, or a different realistic and intense engine/gunfire sound changes. You might also for example choose to use a different camouflage skin for a specific tank, (only visible to you) use a different looking garage, or even have a different font for the main text. With or without these mods your gameplay isn't really affected. If you’re sitting next to someone with a default client, you don’t really have any advantage over them other than your UI looks a little different or the game sounds different.  

Mods that totally alter *how* you play the game, are the types of mods we would recommend players to reconsider and exercise caution when you think about using them. When you’re being fed information that is not normally available either from your own eyesight/field of vision, and are basically relying on your mods to dictate what you should do and when, that’s when things are going too far. If you’re sitting next to someone with a default client, you would clearly have an advantage over them as you’re getting game data they don’t have and you’re using that to decide what to do. Even if this information was estimates, it’s giving you too much detailed info that normally you’d never know. At that stage it’s less about you playing the game but more about you playing your mods and the game is a secondary factor.

Installing a mod and checking for what it does ultimately is your responsibility as a player. Improperly installed (or non-compatible) mods might cause your game to lag or crash. Some mods may data mine your PC for sensitive data and corrupt your system.  In short, if it the mod/addon is too influential and it changes your own gameplay we would recommend using common sense and uninstalling the mod/addon. 

Regards,
EU Community Team 

Nice one, you have actually commented on points that have already been made by the players on previous threads, which you have just made official, well thanks for that! Now how about you instill a little bit of confidence towards the gaming community & tell us how you will manage/regulate the Mods, or is this statement an admittance of defeat/laziness!

There have been some very good & workable solutions suggested by players, lets see some effort now please.

Edited by Malleted11, 12 April 2014 - 12:35 PM.

TriXKrakeN #31 Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:37 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 5457 battles
  • [ISR] ISR
So,Someone actually KNOWS what mods can we use in WoT? 

onetruecharlatan #32 Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:44 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11936 battles

[edited]

Edited by RogDodgeUK, 15 April 2014 - 09:33 PM.
This post has been edited by a member of the Moderation Team, due to inappropriate content. An official notification has also been sent. RogDodgeUK

Ulfhedinn_ #33 Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:40 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 48246 battles

View Postblaster1112, on 12 April 2014 - 08:05 AM, said:

So to my understanding:

Hitlogs are allowed.

XVM is allowed but the information about health isnt (health remaining on enemie tank is sth. that you cant see unless within render distance), but last known location is allowed because if you would look at your minimap the entire game and someone pops up for a second he will be able to move without you knowing (just like what happens with XVM, its just a reminder).

I think WG's statement is a good starting point, but this ^ is exactly why we need some further clarification, cuz different people will interpret WG's statement in different ways.

Based on what has been said, I would guess XVM can't be legal, because it identifies people ratings and so tells you which enemy are the greatest threat and need to be taken out as a priority or avoided - so it may influence what you do. Same with last known location on the mini-map, because it isn't anything someone without that mod can see and it may influence how someone behaves in game. And the mod that puts the tanks type details on the mini-map, that's not something someone without that mod could see and may determine where you go in your tank. Even the mod that tells you what ammo you were hit with, info people without that mod wouldn't know, may affect what you do - eg if in a very well armoured top tier tank that is 90% impossible to pen without gold, pushing a choke point, gets told someone ahead is shooting him with gold so he pulls back and goes different way.

Although I do have my own personal opinion I'm not saying anything of what I said in this post is right or wrong, just demonstrating WG EU's current position on this is too open to personal interpretation.

LazzerChicken #34 Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:15 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 13049 battles

This is getting ridiculous.

I honestly consider to stop support of WG if my money are wasted in this way.

EU mods are bad but this is pure comedy.

Maato #35 Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:56 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 25076 battles
  • [JJSF] JJSF

View PostLazzerChicken, on 12 April 2014 - 06:15 PM, said:

This is getting ridiculous.

I honestly consider to stop support of WG if my money are wasted in this way.

EU mods are bad but this is pure comedy.

I won't put my moneys on this game, at least on EU servers!  I've bought prem. time once, but not anymore!

Who can tell me, that if I chance my account on USA servers is it against rules or can I do that? I know I must start over this game, but what I've heard it's should be worth it. If I can chance my account and things go nice in there I just might put some money on this game again... I won't do it on EU as long as things R the way they R right now

Edited by Maato, 12 April 2014 - 07:23 PM.

hemorrhoid #36 Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:02 PM

Private

• Player
  • 6856 battles
  • [DSTL] DSTL

Most people who actually read these forums are in general bright enough to understand the word "advantage".

So basically everyone who reads this post knows exactly what iScending means.... 

Perfectly clear for someone with common sense which mods are allowed in game and which ones are not.

However, I do agree, that when there already is an existing list available, it should be available for the EU community too..

The only thing with such a list is, that when they make it official, it probably will always be outdated because people will just create new ones that aren't on that list.

Makes perfect sense to me.. 

Acerak #37 Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:40 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 29711 battles
  • [OAP] OAP
Last known map position on XVM is unfair.

Grimdorf #38 Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:27 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11658 battles

View Posthemorrhoid, on 12 April 2014 - 09:02 PM, said:

Most people who actually read these forums are in general bright enough to understand the word "advantage".

So basically everyone who reads this post knows exactly what iScending means.... 

Perfectly clear for someone with common sense which mods are allowed in game and which ones are not.

However, I do agree, that when there already is an existing list available, it should be available for the EU community too..

The only thing with such a list is, that when they make it official, it probably will always be outdated because people will just create new ones that aren't on that list.

Makes perfect sense to me.. 

You DO realise that in the REAL world (not a perfect one) peoples opinions and interpretations differ massively.

So "relying" on literally tens of thousands of people to mutually agree on which mods are good or bad is simply incredibly naive (or stupid)

WG EU need to stop mucking about, talk to senior people in Minsk if needed, and FIND A WAY to clarify what is and is not bannable.

Malleted11 #39 Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:48 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13774 battles

View PostGrimdorf, on 12 April 2014 - 11:27 PM, said:

You DO realise that in the REAL world (not a perfect one) peoples opinions and interpretations differ massively.

So "relying" on literally tens of thousands of people to mutually agree on which mods are good or bad is simply incredibly naive (or stupid)

WG EU need to stop mucking about, talk to senior people in Minsk if needed, and FIND A WAY to clarify what is and is not bannable.

& then manage it & start banning people for using illegal mods, they can't even moderate the forums properly when some of these illegal mods are being posted with links! 

Balc0ra #40 Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:20 AM

General

• Player
  • 54416 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

What I got out of that is you pointing at a big pile of mods and saying "some of em are allowed"... I'm not wiser or smarter on most of the mods out there. Like the revived damage announcer since it shows hidden/non spotted targets to on the list. Or the white tank skins so many are using.

Just give us a list. Its not that hard I take it. You don't have to have every mod known to man on the list. Just one form each type so we know what type of mods are allowed in general.

Yes I've read the NA and RU's post regarding forbidden mods. But we all know that NA and EU don't use the same "guide lines" on anything.

Edited by Balc0ra, 13 April 2014 - 02:21 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users