tank museum

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

interpol #1 Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:19 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Clan Diplomat
  • 34302 battles
  • [HFV] HFV

Today I visited the Museum Full-Reuenthal which is also the home of several tanks - the majority of those tanks is in good to great condition and are ready to drive.

Where possible, I tried to take a picture of the specs as well.

Large images, open spoilers on own risk.

Feel free to comment, give feedback and rate - last but not least, enjoy!

As soon as we left the car this gem was standing in front of a hall. A Centurion, in which You could take a ride with as the commander. In exchange for money of course... for a good reason.

I have to admit, this tank is huge!

Spoiler

The next tank is a Panzer 68 AA 2 (2nd series) with a special camo, named Leopardine:

Spoiler

Here is the reason what they are collecting the money for, I present You the Tiger II... in a not so good shape yet - it will still take four to five years before this tank can be driven.

The story of this tank and how and when it came to Switzerland has not been fully researeched.

Some say it was stationed in Belgium and later bought by the Swiss government for trials - but they bought it from the french. In the inside of the tank on the hull they also found the word "ITALY" carved/engraved but the meaning is unclear.

Also missing is the information when the barrel got destroyed, there are two or three possibilities but none of them confirmed - obviously they had to leave the tank behind and that's why they destroyed the barrel... usually they also should have destroyed the interiour but for whatever reason they did not.

Spoiler

Two AMX 13 were standing side by side and we had the chance to talk with a veteran who served on this tank and also works in the museum - "It was great to drive.. it's the sportscar among tanks!"

For those who wonder, they both had the 75 mm gun.

Spoiler

The swiss armored forces bought several Hetzer after WW2, they upgraded them and named the result Panzerjäger G13

Spoiler

Next the Centurion, a Mk VII - to it's right is the Mk III

Spoiler

T-34/85 (the russian one, on it's left side is one from poland)

Spoiler

Let's go to the more modern ones, the AMX 30 - and I thought the Type 61 has a huge commanders hatch.

Spoiler

T-55 AM2 - damn those russian tanks are flat compared to the others

Spoiler

T-72M

Spoiler

Jagdpanzer MOWAG GEPARD (Prototype)

Spoiler

Edited by interpol, 15 April 2014 - 08:38 AM.

interpol #2 Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:30 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Clan Diplomat
  • 34302 battles
  • [HFV] HFV

Now to a more technical part - for the case You wonder how thick armor had to be if You want to be "immune" against shape charged rounds (iPhone 5 was placed for size comparison - I assume they did it with the BANTAM).

Spoiler

Back to tanks, some smaller ones... the Stuart...

Spoiler

...and the Praga

Spoiler

Edited by interpol, 13 April 2014 - 01:49 PM.

Also tagged with tank museum

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users