Hello, fellow tankers!
Doubtless many of you have seen very confusing threads about performance following the 9.0 update. Some claim their fps has become better, most claim it has become worse.
It is time to bring clarity and science to this mess! Therefore all tankers interested in performance are kindly asked to run the benchmark below, so that we can have objective measurements over a variety of hardware configurations.
1. FRAPS (to measure fps) LINK Start measuring when countdown reaches 00:00 and end when the "Replay Complete" message is displayed.
2. Dowload the Replay for benchmarking (~7 minutes long) LINK
3. Check your settings. There are 3 quality settings available:
- High (FXAA enabled)
- Performance (AA off)
- Low (AA off)
Check the FAQ section for detailed screenshots!
There are several methods to improve performance. The following methods are available currently:
1. Go to %AppData%/Roaming and delete Wargaming.net folder (Windows button + R, paste the string %AppData%/Roaming and press Enter). This will delete the preferences file you had before. It will be rebuilt when you launch the game, but you have to reconfigure all settings (that includes key binds, game modes etc). I did this and can confirm it improved my fps.
2. Download the best graphics card driver for WoT.
- Nvidia: GeForce 332.21 WHQL
- AMD: please suggest
- Intel: please suggest
3. Use _DeusExMachina's solution (LINK). It overwrites the engine_config.xml file so WoT load is not spread over multiple CPU threads. This significantly improves performance in all Turbo Boost capable laptops/desktops, which can Turbo Boost up to +1.2GHz when only one core is under load, but fall to normal levels when more cores are loaded.
The results will need to be posted in a certain format, so they are easily readable (and can maybe be added to a Table later on). Please do not deviate from the specified quality settings, otherwise the results will not be comparable. Example:
CPU: i7 2600K 3,4GHz OC @ 4,5GHz
RAM: 16GB (4x4GB 1866MHz DDR3)
GPU: GTX 660 Ti 2GB
SSD/HDD: 500GB HDD
OS: Windows 7 x64
Driver Version: GeForce 332.21 WHQL
Mods: Yes (Aslain's 9.0 Modpack)
High (FXAA Anti-aliasing enabled), 1920x1080, FoV 105.
Q: What Are the Quality Settings for the Benchmark?
Since WoT is being played on very different hardware configurations, there need to be different quality settings to reflect this. The recommended settings are as follows:
High (FXAA Anti-aliasing enabled):
Performance (Anti-aliasing OFF):
Low (Anti-aliasing OFF):
Q: How Do I Use FRAPS?
After you have downloaded, installed and ran FRAPS, click on the FPS tab:
- Select the folder, where benchmark files will be created and kept.
- Select the hotkey for starting and stopping the benchmarking.
- Then, in the Benchmark Settings section, check only MinMaxAvg, as on the screenshot.
- You are now good to go. Press the hotkey at 00:00 to start the benchmarking run, and again immediately after seeing the Replay Complete message.
- Open the FRAPs benchmark folder and click on the benchmark file (should end in "minmaxavg"). Find the fps values below:
Edited by erickHV, 17 April 2014 - 03:40 PM.