Help on FPS Performance

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
59 replies to this topic

Ironical #1 Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:48 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 33196 battles
I have to play on a Notebook at the moment and the new Patch brought up some Performance Issues.

After searching the Forums a while and fiddeling with the found info i came up with three quite helpfull tips
i want to summ up here:

1. Edit the preference.xml

You find this file in your Personal Application Data Folder. Something like this (on Windows XP):

C:\Documents and Settings\your Username\Application Data\wargaming.net\WorldOfTanks

In this Folder you'll find the preference.xml which can be edited with Notepad.

If you don' find this Folder on first try you could use the Windows Search Function.
There shouldn't be that many preference.xml on your Computer.

In the File search for this Part:

<entry>

<label> TERRAIN_MESH_RESOLUTION </label>
<activeOption> 1 </activeOption>

</entry>

You can Set 3 different activeOptions:

0 - high (Standard)
1 - medium
2 - low

This gives a quite noticeable FPS Boost. I set it to 1 and got around 10 FPS more which is ok for me.
You might notice that Tanks sink a little into the ground because thats what this Option stands for.
The detail in which the Terrain Surface is modelled. You won't notice any optical difference though.

I found the Info in this Thread: http://forum.worldof...dpost__p__17651
There are also other Info about gunsmoke disabling stuff (like i wrote at point 3. in this Post) and other things.
Worth a read i'd say.

2. Install a compressed Texture Pack

This can be found here: http://forum.worldof...post__p__542802

I choosed the 12,5% Textures for Landscape and other things and they still look quite ok to me.
Maybe i try others later on.

Good work from whoever made this latest Package. Looks like its from SERGEY_ZP.

3. Disable Gunsmoke

There are probably many people having massive FPS drops when firing the gun in Sniper mode.
Here is what i did to disable it:

Go to the following Folder inside your Game Folder: D:\Programs\World of Tanks\res\particles\Tank

Inside this Folder Rename the following Files from this:

shot_big.xml
shot_big_PT.xml
shot_big_SAU.xml
shot_main.xml
shot_mb_main.xml
shot_mb_small.xml
shot_small.xml
shot_small_auto.xml

to this:

shot_big.xml_
shot_big_PT.xml_
shot_big_SAU.xml_
shot_main.xml_
shot_mb_main.xml_
shot_mb_small.xml_
shot_small.xml_
shot_small_auto.xml_

Do NOT Rename shot_MTLS_auto.xml as this seems to remove the Tracers.

Instead of the _ you can choose any other Character you like. Windows will show you a warning about
the World will explode if you change the Files from xml to bloddy Hell but you can just ignore that.

4. Disable Exhaust Smoke

There are 2 modified xml Files in this Thread: http://forum.worldof...dpost__p__17655
Still working with the current 0.6.4 Patch and give a nice FPS improvement.

All those steps above made the Game actually playable on my Notebook again and hopefully for you too.

Sturmtiger_304 #2 Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:54 AM

Brigadier

• Beta Tester
  • 19603 battles
Sweet work on that.

But will the gun smoke completely dissapear?

Ironical #3 Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:25 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 33196 battles
You need some more Files renamed .. i'll edit my first Post.

There are probably more files in the particles subfolders that can be renamed to avoid FPS hits.
Like the dust from crashed Walls and Buildings. I'll have a look at that later.

Bombastikus #4 Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:53 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6301 battles
Great help! Altough I do not have FPS drops in snimper mode this is one of the best things!

I am FINALLY able to see the tracers at all when in sniper mode! Good job and this should be an option in the graphic settings to begin with. Always bugged me that I am reliant on crew notification to see a hit.

What would interest me though is, what files do I need to rename if I just want to remove the smoke in sniper mode, but not in normal mode? Is it possible? (As I said, no FPS problems, I just find it 10 times more fun when I see the projektile hitting a target instead of smoke and "we just dinged them") :rolleyes:

Ironical #5 Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:55 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 33196 battles
I think they are the same Files. What's a bit sad is that you have to modify stuff this way to get a playable Performance
when it could (and should) be easily done within the Ingame Settings. This way its a try and error to find the Files you
can rename without killing the Game itself. For Example if you rename the files for the Exhaust Smoke you can't Enter
battle because the Map loading Screen just locks up.

I might try to find the files that do the smoke thing when you destroy a house or certain fences, since they also drop
FPS massivly for me.

FlatCapnWhippet #6 Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:56 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 1760 battles
Thats why you replace them with the two files available in the preferences.ini tweak thread.

Ironical #7 Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:07 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 33196 battles
Aaaaah. I knew they where somewhere but somehow missed the Thread again. I put in in the first Post.
Will Test them if they still work and some of the other Stuff in that Thread might also be helpfull.

FlatCapnWhippet #8 Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:18 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 1760 battles
Yeah they still work, did it myself after reinstalling yesterday.

Had a play in the particles folder also, found a few files that seem to help, mainly dust trails, renamed them and fps is a little better.

Ironical #9 Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:50 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 33196 battles
Yup, just tested them too, still working.

I thought dust trails where what they call "Track Effects" in the Settings? No need to disable them by hand then.

Maybe i find some other not needed Files especially on the desert maps when you run over a wall or house .. thats
some brute FPS killers there.

noothgrush #10 Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:59 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 18684 battles
Thanks Ironical, works like a charm! Finally I can snipe someone without the fps drop when I fire.

insekt #11 Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:02 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 12270 battles
  • [C9] C9
is any way to remove gun smoke ONLY on sniper view? in arcade view gun smoke is rly usefull

AeRoTR #12 Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:29 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 20192 battles
After the patch the most fps dropping option for me was the "WATER QUALITY", when I select low, I get around the same fps like just before the 6.4 patch. Removing smoke didnt help me much, but this helped a lot.

Rittmeister_Krag #13 Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:46 PM

Private

• Player
  • 6744 battles
What helped alot for me was reinstalling the game. I also changed out those two files (engine_diesel etc.) and the TERRAIN MESH. But I did that before reinstalling aswell, so go ahead and reinstall!

EndlessWaves #14 Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:56 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 9571 battles
This looks like a guide to me, so out of gameplay discussion and into guides we go.

Topic Moved.

PAKFA #15 Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:49 PM

Major

• Player
  • 16505 battles
Hey guys, does anyone knows how to disable dust and smoke from an exploding shell in front of you?

I did all the tweaks and its all good now, except when I'm in sniper mode and a shell falls short in front of my tank, I see the explosion on the ground in front of me and the dust and/or smoke that rises from the ground drops my FPS a lot, I see in slow motion for 5 sec...

P.S. I think it must be in the game.dir.\res\particles area, but I'm not really good with editing on my own. I would appreciate if someone who knows would look into this matter.

PAKFA #16 Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:47 PM

Major

• Player
  • 16505 battles
Sorry for double post, but really no one knows how to do this?
Am I the only one interested to improve FPS performance... :/

Ironical #17 Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:20 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 33196 battles
These are in the World of Tanks\res\particles\Shells_Eff Folder. The Names of the Files are quite self-explanatory.
I disabled some of them too, for the same reason. Was pretty irritating without tracers since you have seen nothing
from SPG shots but that got fixed so its okish now.

PAKFA #18 Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:39 PM

Major

• Player
  • 16505 battles
I edited those specific files and it worked, much better now. Thanks.

For anyone else who wants to try, I disabled the effects of these files: "groundHit_xx" and "shellFall_xx"

pouchy #19 Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:13 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11334 battles

View PostIronical, on 19 May 2011 - 12:48 AM, said:

In the File search for this Part:

<entry>

<label> TERRAIN_MESH_RESOLUTION </label>
<activeOption> 1 </activeOption>

</entry>

You can Set 3 different activeOptions:

0 - high (Standard)
1 - medium
2 - low

This gives a quite noticeable FPS Boost. I set it to 1 and got around 10 FPS more which is ok for me.

Set it to 2 and... Got 38 fps from 25!
Couldn't notice any change in graphics quality. So thanx! :D

Elia #20 Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:11 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 13903 battles
  • [CPC] CPC
Hi,
I've got an issue with this.
I did all the step you presented here, and it is ok EXCEPT that i do not have the explosion decal anymore. This decal is kind of usefull in arty view mode, and i dont know what file have been modified in order to have this decal only (the rest of modification are fine) rolled back.
Do you have a clue of witch files do i need to edit for this ?

EDIT : i rolled back the "World_of_Tanks\res\maps\fx\explosion_decal.dds" and get my decal Back again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users