• Please log in to reply
2757 replies to this topic

totallymeyou #1 Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:08 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 33235 battles

POPULAR

Hey guys,

first off, kudos to Skar [EFE] and Panzerfighter [FAME], they had this idea yesterday and are having quite some success with it on the german forum. [http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/384311-frag-doch-das-unicum/]

Some people might be looking for some Question & Answer thread where anyone can ask his question and a WN8 unicum will answer him in the best way possible.

This is a way to tackle the continuous false information one can read daily here, mostly spread by inexperienced players. How many times did you yourself ask a question, got a (supposedly) correct answer and had to find out at some point that it was not even close to the truth?

It doesn't matter, if the questions are about Mods, Maps, Tanks, Gameplay, Stats, Premiumtanks or Tactics [in random games!]. A friendly unicum will answer them, with all his knowledge he has acquired in all his WoT games.

The preliminary stats requirements to answer the questions will be: Minimum 2300 overall WN8 and 5.000 battles on the posting account. This is not to be misunderstood as arrogance or an insult to anyone. The reason for this is simply to have players answer, who have understood this game fully and know how to use it in the fights at any given point.

Please respect those requirements and do not question them, as that wouldn't serve the purpose of this thread, that is, ultimately, helping all kinds of players understand the game better and learn from it.

At the moment, i am the only guy giving answers, but i would really appreciate it if more unicums could join in and answer to the thread regularily.

I call upon the forum trolls to stay in their caves and let this thread be what it should be. A Q&A between players and unicums.

[There is also the possibility for the moderators, to keep this thread "clean", as they have done successfully in the german forum. The rules they imposed upon the thread there are as follows:

1. Every answering player must have a noobmeter, feldzug, wotlabs etc signature that CLEARLY  shows the required values. If there are any fakes, they should be reported.

2. No discussions, also no corrections of possible mistakes in the answers. Simply quote the question once more and answer it your way.

3. There will be no statements made to deleted posts, so if a thread is gone then it has its reasons (to minimise the workload).

4. Repeated "Violations" will be handled as a normal rule violation, so it can possibly result in a RO.

Written by xOlsenx, written in the OP of the linked thread in the german forums, translated by me.]

Greetings

totallymeyou

Edit n°1: If you guys want, I might be able to do a compilation of all the questions answered throughly, but have to find out how to work with spoilers and find more time :D Let's see...

Edited by totallymeyou, 25 April 2014 - 12:48 PM.

gav00 #2 Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:09 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10765 battles
Question 1: Free goldz?

indipuk #3 Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:11 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 33486 battles
http://forum.wotlabs...ry-of-valhalla/

totallymeyou #4 Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:12 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 33235 battles

View Postindipuk, on 23 April 2014 - 06:11 PM, said:

I'm aware of that, but this forum here is the official one and there does not exist a thread like this here yet.

indipuk #5 Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:16 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 33486 battles

View Posttotallymeyou, on 23 April 2014 - 07:12 PM, said:

I'm aware of that, but this forum here is the official one and there does not exist a thread like this here yet.

This thread will only attract trolls. 

OneSock #6 Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:18 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 48020 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

Question1:

How the heck do you carry a team of utter tomatoes ? (Solo Random) eg. I drive my Larraine 40t, I unload my first clip. In my next 40sec reload, half my team die, after my 2nd clip/reload the other half are dead.:facepalm:

totallymeyou #7 Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:18 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 33235 battles
It might just work, and i hope the overall attitude will be (for once) serious and this thread will be a success. :)

totallymeyou #8 Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:23 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 33235 battles

View PostOneSock, on 23 April 2014 - 06:18 PM, said:

Question1:

How the heck do you carry a team of utter tomatoes ? (Solo Random) eg. I drive my Larraine 40t, I unload my first clip. In my next 40sec reload, half my team die, after my 2nd clip/reload the other half are dead.:facepalm:

That is an art that one has to evolve over a long amount of time :)

If you manage to keep on damaging the right targets at the right time, while keeping them busy and spotting for yourself you will win more than before. Not even mentioning the right positioning and overall behaviour, but it is a start. One could probably write a book about carrying solo randoms, but i tend to platoon with equally skilled players and enjoy the amount of wins that flood in and minimise the amount of frustration.

Scuka #9 Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:28 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 20370 battles

How to complete the Fire and Water mission without ending up with 45% WR?

Or to put it differently, is 13 90 really a good tank for solo randoms? I can only have a good game if my team is doing well. Otherwise I can't get the opportunity to do any damage.

Edited by Scuka, 23 April 2014 - 05:33 PM.

Blubba #10 Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:30 PM

Major

• Player
  • 68506 battles

I'll bite.

I am fairly average in most things but a notable exception is the ST-1. I have only recently got the big gun which while it is a relief (WR climbed 3%), it still seems to go pearshaped.

I need some pointers, here or pm's on how to use this thing and take my awful WR in it up to closer to where it should be.

Thanks in advance.

totallymeyou #11 Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:33 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 33235 battles

View PostScuka, on 23 April 2014 - 06:28 PM, said:

Either be a great scout that knows how to keep on spotting targets your team can shoot at easily or do massive damage with arty every match, you will end up with a decent WR :)

Scuka #12 Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:45 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 20370 battles
How do you carry a match in 13 90 on shitty corridor maps where all combat revolves around peek-a-boo games at 10 meters range?

AngryApple #13 Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:46 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 7495 battles

View PostScuka, on 23 April 2014 - 06:28 PM, said:

Or to put it differently, is 13 90 really a good tank for solo randoms? I can only have a good game if my team is doing well. Otherwise I can't get the opportunity to do any damage.

I recommend using the FV304, its a great carry arty, otherwise one of the non-scout MM lights would be best I think. I didnt like the 1390 in randoms at all, grinded like half of it in TB where it can shine.

@OP there was actually a similair thread made already, but first it got pinned, causing ppl not to see it, then moved to the newcomers forum where its even more invisible. Good initiative anyway.

totallymeyou #14 Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:46 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 33235 battles

View PostBlubba, on 23 April 2014 - 06:30 PM, said:

I'll bite.

I am fairly average in most things but a notable exception is the ST-1. I have only recently got the big gun which while it is a relief (WR climbed 3%), it still seems to go pearshaped.

I need some pointers, here or pm's on how to use this thing and take my awful WR in it up to closer to where it should be.

Thanks in advance.

Alright, i'll give it my best shot. Mind you, i have not played it myself, but i'm fairly sure i can give you a few tips :)

The ST-I has the best armour of the T9 heavies, probably on par with the E-75. Additional to that, a great gun with nice alpha and rate of fire. To use your armour in the best way possible, i'd advise you to sidescrape around corners and let your excellent side armour bounce the shells in a steep angle and your (nearly) impenetrable turret. While being hulldown, the only way the enemy can damage you is by shooting your cupola (which will still bounce most of the time, from my experience at least) or if he shoots HE, which might create module damage but it won't do much damage.

Always approach an enemy while angled at around 30°, and wiggle your tank a bit so they might hit your tracks or bounce on your UFP. Your lower plate can also be quite strong, if angled at rather big angle.

Gameplay-wise, you can be the spearhead when attacking. You have the armour and firepower to support that playstyle. If you manage to keep your HP conserved at a good level you will have enough to play with in the late game.

Hope that helps for a start :)

totallymeyou #15 Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:52 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 33235 battles

View PostScuka, on 23 April 2014 - 06:45 PM, said:

How do you carry a match in 13 90 on shitty corridor maps where all combat revolves around peek-a-boo games at 10 meters range?

Basically, spot the center of the map, do not lose any HP in the early game. Spot at safe distances if possible and retreat.

In mid- to lategame, you are one of the most useful tanks around: You have the speed to kill lonely enemies, to fall back to base to reset the cap if needed, to engage busy enemies and pump your 6-shell autoloader into their sides. You can simply distract them too, and let your teammates engage while they turn their turret. You have enough HP (1100) to play with it in the endgame.

Hope that helps :)

EmperorSafirius #16 Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:55 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 21493 battles

The only question I have is the number of your battles and forum posts. You never visited the forums and participated in any discussion?

Thanks for the answer in advance :girl:

Slobodan_covek #17 Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:57 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 29215 battles
Who or what is "Unicum"?

Scuka #18 Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:00 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 20370 battles

View Posttotallymeyou, on 23 April 2014 - 06:52 PM, said:

Basically, spot the center of the map, do not lose any HP in the early game. Spot at safe distances if possible and retreat.

In mid- to lategame, you are one of the most useful tanks around: You have the speed to kill lonely enemies, to fall back to base to reset the cap if needed, to engage busy enemies and pump your 6-shell autoloader into their sides. You can simply distract them too, and let your teammates engage while they turn their turret. You have enough HP (1100) to play with it in the endgame.

Hope that helps :)

I know all this theory, but my todays problems were:

Block Quote

spot the center of the map

not possible or useful on most maps

Block Quote

In mid- to lategame

There is no late game. Tier 10 tanks die in first 2-3 minutes. And most games are decided in that period. After that it's just cleanup time. In heavies and mediums I can influence the game in the early period. In 13 90 I just have to pray my team won't throw their tanks away.

Block Quote

You have the speed to kill lonely enemies

Maps are too small and too chokepointy. It's very hard to find lonely enemies early enough (before the match has already been decided)

totallymeyou #19 Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:01 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 33235 battles

View PostEmperorSafirius, on 23 April 2014 - 06:55 PM, said:

The only question I have is the number of your battles and forum posts. You never visited the forums and participated in any discussion?

Thanks for the answer in advance :girl:

Well, i've been reading the forums pretty much daily since i had 6k battles, but i was always more of a silent reader and just recently decided to actually post something :)

EmperorSafirius #20 Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:02 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 21493 battles

View Posttotallymeyou, on 23 April 2014 - 07:01 PM, said:

Well, i've been reading the forums pretty much daily since i had 6k battles, but i was always more of a silent reader and just recently decided to actually post something :)

K, thanks for the answer.

Also tagged with unicum, new, player, ask, learn, answer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users