KV-5 what equipment to fit?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

SastusBulbas #1 Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:52 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 24032 battles
So the KV-5, what have owners of this tank fitted and why?

I am as usual thinking vents and rammer, but wondering if coated optics may help. or vert stab? Not sure which three to get?

theta0123 #2 Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:57 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 5605 battles
  • [FHA] FHA
Rammer, Ventilation and i would say either commander periscope (since its best to camp with KV5)

blackfox666 #3 Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:42 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 16278 battles
  • [TAC] TAC
I've so far fitted mine with a rammer, but will be fitting it with vents and also a large spall liner. Think about it, smaller tanks with smaller guns and all arty will be shooting you with HE rounds. If you can reduce 15% from explosions with each round you get hit by, that might add up to quite a bit.

I'm loving my KV-5, hope you are enjoying it too.

Shirer #4 Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:31 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 3915 battles
  • [PAC] PAC
from threads i've read here, spall liner in tests with HE shots and arty does not work.

If i can find that test thread again I will post linky in here

BrusilovX #5 Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:37 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 17173 battles
  • [TWC] TWC
My understanding is that 'splash shots' from the SPGs are what the Spall Liner is for.  Not HE being shot by others.

I've added a rammer and have also got the camouflage net and binoculars.  My crew are already at 100%.

blackfox666 #6 Posted 21 May 2011 - 11:25 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 16278 battles
  • [TAC] TAC

View PostShirer, on 20 May 2011 - 08:31 AM, said:

from threads i've read here, spall liner in tests with HE shots and arty does not work.

If i can find that test thread again I will post linky in here

I have to say, I've never actually looked up or questioned it's effectiveness. The only other time I've used it was on my leo, for it's ramming/getting rammed extra little protection (for ramming arties). In real life, it would only be effective against penetrating HE rounds or shape charges, so I don't understand how it could help from arty splash fire. This is rather confusing as I don't know what to believe.

LimaBravo #7 Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:20 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 31433 battles
  • [SCOT] SCOT
Would Verticasl Stabilisers be useful for those rolling advances ?  Or is the bonus too small ?

Black_Rock_Shooter #8 Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:28 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 10084 battles
I use Rammer and Spall liner so far. I'm thinking about periscope/binoculars or Vert. Stabilizer.
Wich would be better?

arminofme #9 Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:43 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 9517 battles

View PostBrusilovX, on 20 May 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

My understanding is that 'splash shots' from the SPGs are what the Spall Liner is for.  Not HE being shot by others.
that's not true.
the Spall Liner does exactly what it states: it gives 15% more armor against explosions and ramming.

how it affects HE rounds is a bit more complicated.
First off you have to understand how the HE round actually deals damage. There are 2 distinct cases: the round impacts the target and the second the point of impact is near the target.
First case is quite simple. The explosion envelops the surfaces near the impact point and searches for the weakest armor point(how big is this "search area" exactly I don't know, it's possible that it's as large as the explosion radius of the shell, however I'm quite certain that only surfaces that face the "explosion" are enveloped, for example if you get hit on the frontal glacis by an arty shot, the explosion won't envelope your back sides). Once that weak point has been found it tries to penetrate it. All penetration calculations for HE shells are not modified by armor angle, nor range from witch the shell was shot at(penetration for HE rounds is given by caliber), if the shell penetration is higher then the armor then full damage is dealt, otherwise the damage gets reduced, the bigger the difference the less damage you take.

In the second case, there is only one difference in how the damage gets applied, that is the damage gets reduced by the distance from the point of impact to the tank. the further away(and closer to the shell explosion radius limit) the less damage the tank takes. All other calculations and method of delivery are the same.

So as you can see armor has a big impact on HE damage. this is the reason open top tanks can take so much damage from HE, because they have no armor at all in some parts. Also, while some tanks have huge armor on the front, they may not have that much on top of the tank, or the engine deck behind the turret (like how the IS4 used to have) and as such, take little damage if hit from the front, where the armor was really strong, but take full damage if hit in the back.

In a way, if the arty shell has enough penetration to beat your armor and 15% more, the Spall liner won't help at all. Direct hit or splash hit, if the shell has enough caliber, it won't matter. but tank guns usually have less caliber then arty guns, meaning less penetration for HE. Hence Spall liner will most of the time provide a better benefit against those. Also one thing to remember is that, the more Armor you have, the more armor the Spall liner will provide thus provide a better damage reduction. It's the reason why mostly Heavys are a good candidate for Spall Liner.

Manie_de #10 Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:26 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 26153 battles
Will the weight of the spall liner slow down the KV-5 ?

And is there a way to test, if the spall liner works at all ?

Martin

Ruinkind #11 Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:34 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 16871 battles

View PostManie_de, on 30 May 2011 - 12:26 PM, said:

Will the weight of the spall liner slow down the KV-5 ?

And is there a way to proof, if the spall liner works at all ?

Martin

Spall liner works great.

Acceleration
Various tanks have different abilities to accelerate. Acceleration is based on tank weight and engine power: More engine power, better acceleration; more weight, less acceleration. So, adding Spall liners (very heavy) will reduce your acceleration ability. Acceleration is based on your engine power-per-ton (tank weight). NOTE: Enhanced Torsion Bars (+10% suspension load capacity) and Enhanced Candle Suspension, and any other such equipment that increases load capacity does NOT increase acceleration, top speed, or passability. In fact, because the module has weight, it slightly reduces acceleration, but it does allow you to support more weight on your tank.

How HE ammunition Works
How HE damage works. Brief description:
If the HE shell managed to penetrate the armor:
Similar to AP shells, it goes inside the vehicle and explodes there.
Full damage according to the specs is inflicted, plus HE deals additional damage to internal modules and/or crew. Apart from it's basic damage value, each shell has an additional value that determines possible damage to crew/internal modules if penetration was successful.
If the HE shell didn't manage to penetrate or exploded near the tank (eg SPG shot):
If the explosion took place directly on the armor, the damage is reduced by 50%.
If the explosion took place near the tank (SPG shots typically,) the damage is reduced by 50% plus it gets some extra reduction depending on distance to vehicle.
The heat wave of an HE shell "seeks" soft spots on the armor, where it is possible to penetrate. Heat-waves makes a cone-shaped aperture in the armor with approx. a 45 deg cone angle.
A vehicle's armor partly absorbs heat-damage (each tanks has it's own value), including installed spall liner.
A heat-wave damages crew and decreases the vehicle's hit points. Modules are not damaged.
--- Dev question: Spalding Liner reduces HE damage by 15%, is this additive with the -50% reduction (total reduction of 65% or multiplicative, total reduction of 57.5%)

Source: WoT Wiki

Manie_de #12 Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:51 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 26153 battles
Thanks for the reply.  :Smile_honoring:

I know, how the spall liner should work, but I read somewhere on a forum (EU or US), that the SL does not work as intended or work at all.

Therefore my question if and how I could test the SL for myself.

Martin

Ruinkind #13 Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:14 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 16871 battles

View PostManie_de, on 30 May 2011 - 12:51 PM, said:

Thanks for the reply.  :Smile_honoring:

I know, how the spall liner should work, but I read somewhere on a forum (EU or US), that the SL does not work as intended or work at all.

Therefore my question if and how I could test the SL for myself.

Martin

Sure you could test it yourself, a little math and a friend (kill the variables, close range + can aim at the same spot) with HE shells loaded, average it out.

I never bothered to do so myself, but I definitely feel it is working on my heavies with spall liner equipped.