Tiger Model SdKfz 1:35 Panzer blog building fine scale

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

CaptainBlaubar #1 Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:39 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7708 battles

Hy guys,

as I have recently begun, building two Tiger I E series in 1:35 (including interior and everything), I am encoutering some interior design problems. If there are any Tiger experts, I am welcoming any info and details regarding this project.

Below is some work progress.

Link to a pro-build log, the one I am using for help and input ideas as to hiw things could look like...

http://www.armorama....822&ord=&page=1

Projject items:

A list of items used:

Shoul be well above the 1000 mark

Pz.Kpfw.VI Tiger I LATE w/Zimmerit Dragon 6383

Pz.Kpfw.VI Tiger I MID w/Zimmerit Dragon 6700 

2*Tiger I Mid. Production interior for (Academy)- EDUARD (3551icon_cool.gif 

Tiger I Mid. Production exterior for(Academy) - EDUARD (35520) 

Tiger I E Interior (Dragon) VERLINEN --> tonnes of modifications needed, for the second tiger i ordered the DMK version, let's see
AB 16L-02 Turned barrel for German machine gun MG3 
AB 35A10 Front and back fenders for Tiger 
AB 35A102 Turret stowage bin for TigerI  

AB 35A12 Side fenders for Tiger I E 
AB 35A79 German Tank Radio Set Fu 2 & Fu 5 

AB 35L-26NG German 88 mm KwK 36 L/56 Tiger I 
AB 72A01 German 2 m antennas x3 pcs 
AF 35087 8,8 cm Kwk 43 TIGER II (BRASS) ammunition 

ED 36162 German Wehrmacht Radio

ROY094 Transmission

For scratch building:

Brass tubes and cables...i.e.

Albion Alloy Micro Messing (Brass) Rohre 1,1mm x 0,9mm 
Albion Alloy Micro Messing (Brass) Rohre 1,3mm x 1,1mm 

Plastic Sheet 0,4mm and 2mm 

Bolts and screws

Currently still trying to make this fire wall be ok...
My drawing of the shift in the position of the firewall, as it is approaching the torsion bars. Looks [auto-censored]ty, is quite usefull though.

Not sanded yet, and still many moulding parts to be added, so it is still looking fairly crude...

I cut away excess material, but the mould ripped. I used putty to fix it, the white plastic was needed to cover a crack and reinforce it for the time being.
If you are also getting rid of this extra material in your model, use the file and smothing sponge more often, i tried to cut too large pieces and boom, [auto-censored] happened.

Edited by StefanWitfmann, 23 May 2014 - 04:47 PM.

CaptainBlaubar #2 Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:52 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7708 battles

---

Edited by StefanWitfmann, 16 May 2014 - 03:06 PM.

CptBarney #3 Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:09 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 18996 battles
  • [-WR--] -WR--

that looks very good and very complicated but those are some nice tanks though.

can i ask how much it came together and where did you buy them online or instore because i wouldn't mind building something like this.

CaptainBlaubar #4 Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:50 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7708 battles

Ordered it from a genius store in Germany, their site is in english though as well. Superb support, all fine, great and quick shipping.

Find the link below.

As for the price, good question. Sone stuff has been lying around for a long time. I'd say around 220EUR. bear in mind that you will need a hell of a lot of tools, if you do not own them already. Building tine at least 1 to 2 years.

Working on my ferdinand, preshading the exterior, too lazy to spray gun and apply the real colors on top of the rust and stuff, so Tiger time... but now I have to go to university. Ttyl.

Ferdinand Roof

Elefant - side damage

http://www.modellbau...en/Englisch.htm

Edited by StefanWitfmann, 16 May 2014 - 02:53 PM.

CptBarney #5 Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:30 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 18996 battles
  • [-WR--] -WR--

oh ok sounds interesting didn't realise the building time was 1-2 years! maybe you could do it quicker if you put most of your time into it i guess the website is cool and there are lots of neat little tanks thanks for the info.

will you be doing anyother tank/s if so which one/s?

the tenks look epic by the way forgot to mention.

Edited by CptBarney, 12 May 2014 - 01:31 PM.

CaptainBlaubar #6 Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:26 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7708 battles

Hmm, got a Jagdtiger and a King tiger as well as a 3.7cm and an 8.8cm FlaK at home.

The two Tigers will keep me busy, not sure when I will begin a new one, also depends on spare parts and so.... Maybe an M4A3E?? gotta see if the Firefly version is available.

Well, gotta be calculating with many hundreds of workload hours, so I think i will need quite a few months. I am lucky as I do not need much sleep, so I am doing nightshifts on the model xD.

Hull update, replicating lower hull support beams. (That was last night). Tonight I am trying to build the torsion bar suspension support system of tiger No 2. Maybe also the drain system if progress is going on allright, all from scratch, there are no kits for it.

Check out this, you can find all info on dimensions here:

http://tiger1.info/E...all-vent-2.html

Edited by StefanWitfmann, 16 May 2014 - 02:54 PM.

CaptainBlaubar #7 Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:19 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7708 battles

Ok, yesterday night I have begun work on the shittiest part of the whole thing I guess. The lubrication system for the torsion bars. In total 40 pipes, (so far i have figured out 36 out of 40's positions 4 in the rear I am not sure where they begin).

In the back you can see the plate where the lubrication valves would be set-up and new oil/grease could be applied by the crew...

A scetch for the general layout of the system:

A close up of a part of the lubrication tubing already "completed".

In the meanwhile I will begin work on the drivers compartment's instruments. The VERLINDEN Kit is total crapfor this, so I will use the PE parts of EDUARD and build the underneath mold, once again, from scratch. Might begin work on that tonight.

This is the real one and how it should eventually look like...

Last two pictures are screenshots form "Inside the Tiger tank" in youtube and the above mentioned documentary on the Tiger.

Cheers

Edited by StefanWitfmann, 16 May 2014 - 03:02 PM.

CptBarney #8 Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:25 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 18996 battles
  • [-WR--] -WR--

wow so much hardwork this is nothing compared to gamesworkshop models lol.

thanks for the link as well (website and dimensions very very interesting i might get either a ferdi or a M4A3E2) very complicated but im guessing it will look like a boss when it's done!

keep up the good work!

p.s sorry for my late reply.

CaptainBlaubar #9 Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:31 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7708 battles
Hmm, 1:35? which brand, and u will assemble them urself right? U should go for the DRAGON Ferdinand/Elefant. They are leaving u choices about which one to build, either with or without hull MG and gun mantlet support... and parts are "fairly big" as it is a huge machine, so good for the beginner.

CptBarney #10 Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:01 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 18996 battles
  • [-WR--] -WR--
ok thanks for the tip! looks bloody big as well lol wasn't expecting the i size (im used to smaller models)

CaptainBlaubar #11 Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:24 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7708 battles
lol. U r used to 1:72 / 1:87 or what?

CaptainBlaubar #12 Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:05 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7708 battles

Well, work on the firewall is going on at a slow pace.

Anyways, I have a comparison of the VERLINDEN, the CMK and my own creation (mine is not done yet though).

Verlinden's part was bent and CMK has so much excess material, that you can file down Mt Everest to the size of Mt Blanc and you would be quicker!

Sad, but in order to not do everything on your own, you will need both kits to combine the best parts of each one, to reduce the needed workload, as some parts like then engine, are very well made by VERLINDEN.

A close up of the transition from the scratch thing (needed cutting, sanding and burning) to get the base part, to whicht I then added vvarious layers of putty and styrene parts...

Along the way, gazillions of other parts are being built...

And last, but not least, the drivers compartment. VERLINDEN seems to have done garbage here as well. See further explanations within the photo. It was so bad that I had to do a little paint analysis of this.

Ok, sth went wrong here, anyways, as the green circles on the left show, there are too many buttons on the Verlinden parts and also the RPM sign thing is too big as compared to the two surrounding parameters (the upper Verlinden parts show no difference in red/blue line on the top, whereas the accurate PE part of Eduard does show this difference in horizontal hight...) Scratch building needed again....

Edited by StefanWitfmann, 16 May 2014 - 03:00 PM.

CptBarney #13 Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:25 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 18996 battles
  • [-WR--] -WR--

looking good so far can't wait to see what it looks like!

oh yeah check dystopian wars if you want to see how big of the models im used to.

Panocek #14 Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:35 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29050 battles

Oh boy. That's fluteload of work, good luck with that, looks impressive though.

I've never had the patience to glue something by myself.

CaptainBlaubar #15 Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:11 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7708 battles

Thx u 2.

Lol. Getting frustrated all the time :D. Listenig to Verdi along the way is very helpful ;-).

And then there are all these details and and and :D Yesterday was no building time, had to study^^. Later today again.

CaptainBlaubar #16 Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:16 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7708 battles

Working on the Engine parts now...

Again, even the "so called detailed interior parts" need massive modification and adjustments. This sucks.

CptBarney #17 Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:45 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 18996 battles
  • [-WR--] -WR--

That looks dodgy lol hope it goes well. i hate it when you glue a part on a model the wrong way around have to tear it apart!

also i got chat banned for three days on the forums but i can't be bothered to explain.

anyways keep up with the good work!

CaptainBlaubar #18 Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:16 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7708 battles

Lol, not so good to be banned :D.

Will continue working on Tuesday, had uni stuff to do and so progress was limited to basically nothing these days. Got the engine assembled and some scratch parts added.

Cheers

CaptainBlaubar #19 Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:47 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7708 battles

Okay,

building a new firewall from scratch, as I am waiting for some new parts. uni kept me busy, so progress was not that fast. Will try to prime engine and some parts towards the weekend.  This will make them look not as ugly as they are now from putty, plastic and metal parts asw ell as glue and cement :D.

Compare the 50% scratch above thingy, below will be 100% scratch, need this for the second Tiger (LATE version) with 3rd generation firewall...

Ok, I took a part from the extremely crappy CMK kit (the central round tubing) for the gear bar, easyier using this as it has the right size, however only 0.1% detail :D. Rest needs to be molded and filed... Only wall glued yet, rest still in pre-gluing/fitting stage.

Thanks for looking,

Alex

Edited by StefanWitfmann, 20 May 2014 - 08:37 PM.

CaptainBlaubar #20 Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:58 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7708 battles

Work on the engine compartment has been going well.

Integrated some electrical wiring (.3mm lead wire wrapped around .6mm lead wire) and tubing (using .6mm lead wire and .45mm brass tubes) to the engine set, which is ready to be primed soon.

Also the second firewalls are getting into shape. Both representing the 3rd generation fire vents.

Engine

Engine

Backside of engine

firewalls

PE parts to be added later, so far using 1mm and .6mm lead wire for water tubing and some .45mm brass rods.

Firewall

And here we go,

priming time:

And to continue with the oil and cooling water pipes... and the outlets to the ventilation system and the radiators... (not finished yet)

Below the engine there is a brass tube with lead rod (will represent a movable shock/steam sth, don't know the correct English word atm.) That thing is sub 5mm long and I am not sure how to fit it in there as space is running out. About 40 pipes still missing till I am done... Hope that will be tonight.

Not done, but qiote some tough stuff done for now...

Thanks for looking

/Alex

Edited by StefanWitfmann, 23 May 2014 - 10:22 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users