Ground forces is out (read before you delete)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

savke94 #1 Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:57 PM

Private

• Player
  • 21637 battles
War Thunder GF is now accessible to everyone and... the grind is crap, it's buggy as hell so I just started DLing the new WoT patch! Hooray!

Edited by IPaul72, 15 May 2014 - 04:09 PM.
Moved to correct section ~ IPaul72

GhostintheTenk #2 Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:02 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 50 battles

Cool story, bro!

Enjoy WoT's bugs then. :trollface:

edit: I like how this one got moved to offtopic and the others deleted. I wonder why... :hiding:

Edited by GhostintheTenk, 15 May 2014 - 04:15 PM.

LazyJustice #3 Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:16 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15360 battles

I like WT GF but ill maybe play one-twice per week i like the way WoT is more..
never was a fan of t-50-2 drifting  doing it in a T-34 is not any better

MGoo #4 Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:17 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8109 battles
Just tried WTGF, its horrible and feels more like a bad rally game than a tank one, utter shite.

LazyJustice #5 Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:19 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15360 battles

View PostMGoo, on 15 May 2014 - 04:17 PM, said:

Just tried WTGF, its horrible and feels more like a bad rally game than a tank one, utter shite.

Fast & furious fans will like it especially the tokyo drift ones :trollface:

MGoo #6 Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:24 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8109 battles

:) yeah, for all the 'realism' that its supposed to simulate it should really be called Warthunder-hovercraft-mode, its even worse than wg's efforts at warplanes at least you know whats going on in world of warplanes.

the Butthurt wot players who have been waiting for this to jump onto are going to be very disappointed lol, my WoT addiction has renewed strength now.

GankampfWagen #7 Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:38 PM

Private

• Player
  • 710 battles

View PostMGoo, on 15 May 2014 - 05:24 PM, said:

its even worse than wg's efforts at warplanes 

Lol nothing is worse than wg's efforts at warplanes :)

Magecraft #8 Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:54 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 41724 battles

View Postaljetab, on 15 May 2014 - 04:16 PM, said:

I like WT GF but ill maybe play one-twice per week i like the way WoT is more..
never was a fan of t-50-2 drifting  doing it in a T-34 is not any better

My view as well, I play both (have for a while) for me WOT is still the better game by far but WTGF is a interesting change. They have a long way to go (only 2 nations, strange mix of drifting as if no weight but inertia when moving etc). 

No reason not to play both games (unlike WOWP and WT :) )

Flitch49 #9 Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:00 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 32464 battles

Thought i would try the WTGF. Downloaded all the required patch and attempted the 'training'. Game crashed 5 times getting training done. tried to play my planes to check they did not crash.... wrong fatal exceptions all over the place.  OK so I will try some games in the tanks ... wrong crashed out of every game (3).

really hoped this was going to be good as I intended to play both as they seemed to be different playstyles... but on this experience they have screwed it up not only can i not play the tanks they have screwed up my planes as well.

Edit :- Why the neg reps for an honest post. Before Patch Warthunder was perfectly playable and after patch unplayable as the crashes occur before I can even finish a game.

However thank you for the neg reps as it is always nice to recieve something for free. :smiles:

Edited by Flitch49, 16 May 2014 - 03:37 PM.

LUNSSI #10 Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:11 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 14740 battles

Its like they took the vehicle mechanics from the planes and removed the vertical axis and stuck tracks on...

In fact that is exactly what they did. Anyone remember whipeout?

MGoo #11 Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:15 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8109 battles
wipeout was such a damm good game, it was like f-zero all over again but on disc and not a cartridge, dammit now I must go hunting to find emulator versions of both of them!

LUNSSI #12 Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:46 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 14740 battles

View PostMGoo, on 15 May 2014 - 07:15 PM, said:

wipeout was such a damm good game, it was like f-zero all over again but on disc and not a cartridge, dammit now I must go hunting to find emulator versions of both of them!

crazy tracks crazy weapons. amazing game

Sl8 #13 Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:55 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 14578 battles

Just in the spirit of civilised discussion, yes the drifting in WTGF is hilarious but as a person that is much more intimately acquainted with tracked vehicles and their handling in rough terrain told me, this drifting is much closer to the real thing than WoT's attempt.

In WoT we basically have a box that touches the ground on 8 contact points, 4 on each side. These points are glued to the ground, the breaking forces are multiplied many many times and the only drifting happens in the situation where you get your speed up past a certain threshold where the engine decides it's OK to perform a drift animation.

In WTGF you have actual bands (tracks) that ensure the contact with the ground on an area, not just points. This affects the drifting characteristics in a much more complex way. You have weaker breaking forces (a bit more realistic), and the type of terrain surface influences the driving behaviour a lot more. I had cases where I was breaking my tank, one track was on paved road, the other one on grass, and my tank drifted to the side slightly as the grip on the road was much higher than on grass. The physics is a lot more complex. Also you can get your tank to drift just by having a high torque on the tracks and a soft slippery surface underneath. It helps when for example someone comes at you from behind and you need to pivot your frontal armour at them fast. You can select individual gears and the gear you use also influences the torque supplied to the tracks.

So let us not deride WTGF for being less realistic or more ridiculous than WoT. Driving in WoT is simplistic but fun  :child: (not you T95), WTGF is more realistic and complicated to master  :medal:

The choice for the players is to decide about what they like more. The potential for fun in WTGF is huge if someone is dedicated to put in a bit more time to understand they are not playing Mario Kart Racing :playing:

On the topic of tanks bouncing as if they have no weight in WTGF, that has been admitted by the devs as being intentional because they are still working on the damage model from ramming, and until then tanks have a place-holder weight model. A side effect of that is that multi toned beasts bounce around strangely in some situations.

Remember that WTGF just went into open beta.

In conclusion of a TLDR post, this is more a problem of taste not a contest of who is better. It's like Burger King vs MacDonald’s and not a boxing match. I'd love to read people arguing why they think A tastes better than B and not "A is better and you are stupid"  :deer:

savke94 #14 Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:52 PM

Private

• Player
  • 21637 battles
They've gotten increasingly greedy since 1.33 (the patch that introduced the current upgrade research system) and GF was just rush in an attempt to cash in even more, the sad thing is work on the naval part has started and they have their developer team divided between three aspects of the game, one is poorly balanced with some bug that haven't been fixed since the game is in OBT and now GF are released which are just a bugfest overall.

Candel #15 Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:17 AM

Sergeant

• Clan Commander
  • 27114 battles
  • [KM-E] KM-E

@Sl8

I think your friend is reffering to small tracked vechicles. Not to tanks. I'm from a military family, and I had some possibilities...

Yes tanks drift. But they do not behave as hoovercrafts. To drift a tank you need speed and right surface (You mentioned that). In GF to drift you need low speed and, well, any surface. As it is funny, the closest thing to real tank drift is ELC ant T-50 drifts in WoT.

But other movents (like turning) are better made by snails.

soolerman #16 Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:46 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24366 battles

I have been playing a lot of wtgf over the last few days. I have played the aircraft for about a year. So have been awaiting the tanks with some interest.

The tank movement is still way off and the maps are buggy in some places. Apart from that as a open beta game its ok. What it is not is a rip off of wot. The two games play out very differently with a lot more flanking play in wtgf than in wot.

But what I would sight as the big difference in the two games is the economy. If you want a play for free game don't play wtgf. To get the best from this game or even to be just competitive you will end up playing gold. And what you get fro your gold adds up to less than you get in wot.

Over all I will be playing both games I think.

Tankstar #17 Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:45 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 23321 battles
  • [OPFS] OPFS
Does not look too promising. Corrupted setup files blocking installation :)

IRSanchez #18 Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:51 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 51542 battles
  • [CELL] CELL

My experience with WT:GF has been pretty poor sofar (after 4 or 5 battles with the entry -level tank T-26/46 not really sure).

Was playing in realistic mode. Pretty long waiting times (1-3 minutes). Hard to locate enemies or friends. Gun accuracy is a complete joke, when shooting on range.

Didn't have much fun, but goona give it some more time.

Finguz #19 Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:02 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8925 battles

View Postsavke94, on 16 May 2014 - 05:52 PM, said:

They've gotten increasingly greedy since 1.33 (the patch that introduced the current upgrade research system) and GF was just rush in an attempt to cash in even more, the sad thing is work on the naval part has started and they have their developer team divided between three aspects of the game, one is poorly balanced with some bug that haven't been fixed since the game is in OBT and now GF are released which are just a bugfest overall.

ROFLMAO!

The game has been in open beta for 72 hours...

I suggest you find some footage of WOT when it was 72 hours old, but of course talking to a fanboy is like a carrying handle on a chieftain - pointless :facepalm:

GhostintheTenk #20 Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:36 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 50 battles

View PostFinguz, on 19 May 2014 - 12:02 PM, said:

ROFLMAO!

The game has been in open beta for 72 hours...

I suggest you find some footage of WOT when it was 72 hours old, but of course talking to a fanboy is like a carrying handle on a chieftain - pointless :facepalm:

Yeah, comparing it with another broken game is totally legit.

They rushed GF and they failed. Atm, it's nothing but an early alpha with an ingame-shop.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users