wt gf open beta and the impact of it on wot

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
110 replies to this topic

bodyone #21 Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:07 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 19318 battles
Playing it saved me buying a new processor and graphics card as I now know what a game that is using my cores effectively can do. Notice the plural

unfluffydave #22 Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:12 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 2224 battles

View Postfaptastic_panda, on 16 May 2014 - 12:23 AM, said:

alright then closing this window and never returning to wot cos of toxic community it is then

Do you really think the Gaijin/Warthunder forums are a house of Barney-esque Huggers?

I have bad news for you, there is very little difference between the two.

Feuchte_Grotte #23 Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:24 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 7590 battles
Why cant you ppl discuss the topic? 90% of the post I see read are locked because you ppl, instead of discussing the topic are ending with " l2p, my wr is bigger than yours, don't let the door hit you..etc "

tomatoRNGmaster #24 Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:42 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 38791 battles
I think the games are too different to be in direct competition with each other. If WT can suck in all the people whining about "gold" ammo, MM and the toxic community (:trollface:), that would be awesome. I for one am not interested in the game based on the footage I have seen on various youtube channels and will stick to WoT.

Desyatnik_Pansy #25 Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:43 AM

Bartender

• 18395 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostVonnis, on 16 May 2014 - 01:42 AM, said:

I think the games are too different to be in direct competition with each other. If WT can suck in all the people whining about "gold" ammo, MM and the toxic community (:trollface:), that would be awesome. I for one am not interested in the game based on the footage I have seen on various youtube channels and will stick to WoT.

Now Vonnis, why do you always seem to only get on here when I'm about to get off. :tongue:

KungSS #26 Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:45 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 19302 battles
  • [REQT] REQT

View PostDesyatnik_Pansy, on 16 May 2014 - 01:45 AM, said:

That's true; that's why I rarely do read them, normally I just ignore them. But when a single topic appears 3-5 Times on a single page, it starts to get on your nerves; ok, maybe that's just me.

Nope, you're not alone. 

tomatoRNGmaster #27 Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:46 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 38791 battles

View PostDesyatnik_Pansy, on 16 May 2014 - 02:43 AM, said:

Now Vonnis, why do you always seem to only get on here when I'm about to get off. :tongue:

I'm not exactly famous for my fantastic sense of timing, sorry. :tongue:

Been playing Remember Me most of the evening after I noticed I was doing crap in WoT, only just put down the controller.

Edited by Vonnis, 16 May 2014 - 01:47 AM.

Desyatnik_Pansy #28 Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:49 AM

Bartender

• 18395 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostVonnis, on 16 May 2014 - 01:46 AM, said:

I'm not exactly famous for my fantastic sense of timing, sorry. :tongue:

Been playing Remember Me most of the evening after I noticed I was doing crap in WoT, only just put down the controller.

Sounds logical then. Remember Me seemed like a weird game for the, like, 5 Minutes of it I saw from a YouTuber.

Most of my day was spent playing Dark Souls II As my second character (a joke character, mostly) because my internet was down! Very stronk day.

drackleon #29 Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:54 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 21246 battles

View Postfaptastic_panda, on 15 May 2014 - 11:20 PM, said:

as alot of you may already know that the warthunder ground forces went open beta, i think now that wg has a bit of competition in the whole ww2 realistic* tank battles they should be improving this game BIG time and listening to the community more

id like to hear your opinions about this 

World of tanks will copy War thunder :P

tomatoRNGmaster #30 Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:57 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 38791 battles

View PostDesyatnik_Pansy, on 16 May 2014 - 02:49 AM, said:

Sounds logical then. Remember Me seemed like a weird game for the, like, 5 Minutes of it I saw from a YouTuber.

Most of my day was spent playing Dark Souls II As my second character (a joke character, mostly) because my internet was down! Very stronk day.

It's an odd game, it's mostly the setting that carries the game and keeps me interested. The gameplay itself is passable, but forgettable (oh the irony) and the levels define linearity, which is unfortunate because it's a game world I would like to be able to explore.

Haven't played either of the Dark Souls games but they do look pretty cool, something to pick up once I've worked my way through the massive backlog of other games I still need to finish (or even start) methinks.

Desyatnik_Pansy #31 Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:04 AM

Bartender

• 18395 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostVonnis, on 16 May 2014 - 01:57 AM, said:

Haven't played either of the Dark Souls games but they do look pretty cool, something to pick up once I've worked my way through the massive backlog of other games I still need to finish (or even start) methinks.

Dark Souls is personally one of my favourite games (both the first and second; I do prefer the first game over the second but it's still amazing). We all have our opinions, 'course; but I just love Dark Souls.

If you ever get into the games, you should certainly look up a fella called VaatiVidya on YouTube. He has a few (actually, quite a number) of lore videos and "Prepare to Cry" videos that explain the lore to the game and certain characters. For some of them it's actually quite depressing. He's throwing a few videos like this for Dark Souls II But I have yet to watch any (my internet is crap recently).

tomatoRNGmaster #32 Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:10 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 38791 battles

View PostDesyatnik_Pansy, on 16 May 2014 - 03:04 AM, said:

Dark Souls is personally one of my favourite games (both the first and second; I do prefer the first game over the second but it's still amazing). We all have our opinions, 'course; but I just love Dark Souls.

If you ever get into the games, you should certainly look up a fella called VaatiVidya on YouTube. He has a few (actually, quite a number) of lore videos and "Prepare to Cry" videos that explain the lore to the game and certain characters. For some of them it's actually quite depressing. He's throwing a few videos like this for Dark Souls II But I have yet to watch any (my internet is crap recently).

Cool, will do. Bookmarked the channel for now because it'll probably be a while before I get these games (as mentioned before, I have a lot to play) and my memory leaves something to be desired. :veryhappy:

BattleMetalChris #33 Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:12 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 9248 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Hopefully all the whiners who'll never be pleased with anything, ever, will all go and whine on their forums instead.

Desyatnik_Pansy #34 Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:24 AM

Bartender

• 18395 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostVonnis, on 16 May 2014 - 02:10 AM, said:

Cool, will do. Bookmarked the channel for now because it'll probably be a while before I get these games (as mentioned before, I have a lot to play) and my memory leaves something to be desired. :veryhappy:

My internet just died for a minute so I ought to say this before it dies again. You should come pop in the Forum Bar in Off-Topic sometime Vonnis; whenever the two of us get chatting in here (or anywhere for that matter; like Player Suggestions), we always end up derailing the thread.

Oh wait, what's that quote of yours! :trollface:

View PostVonnis, on 13 May 2014 - 11:57 PM, said:

Don't think of it as derailing, think of it as broadening its horizons.

GhostintheTenk #35 Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:40 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 50 battles

View Postfaptastic_panda, on 16 May 2014 - 12:23 AM, said:

alright then closing this window and never returning to wot cos of toxic community it is then

Please learn to use punctuation before starting over on the WT forums. And maybe stop being a little sissy. Pansy basically told you to use the seatch function...

@ topic... to sum it up: Same same but different - WT is as buggy and weird as WoT and they are both betas. There won't be a huge impact, but we all hope that the competition forces  WG to finally care about certain things.

Edited by GhostintheTenk, 16 May 2014 - 02:41 AM.

tomatoRNGmaster #36 Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:44 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 38791 battles

View PostDesyatnik_Pansy, on 16 May 2014 - 03:24 AM, said:

My internet just died for a minute so I ought to say this before it dies again. You should come pop in the Forum Bar in Off-Topic sometime Vonnis; whenever the two of us get chatting in here (or anywhere for that matter; like Player Suggestions), we always end up derailing the thread.

Oh wait, what's that quote of yours! :trollface:

Yeah we're quite good at broadening horizons aren't we? :veryhappy:

You're right though, I should venture to OT more often. Sometimes I forget it's even there somehow. :confused:

Catastrophe #37 Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:52 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10285 battles

They are hardly the exact same game

A good number of people will likely enjoy both games for different reasons (one title being strong in an area the other lacks and vice versa)

Hardly a new concept, has been the case for nearly 2 decades

WG and Gaijin will both know it given they are competing for the same market

I get some people will always stack one against the other but the idea of people simply sticking with one thing only is laughable in this day and age

Dr_LoVe69_makesWoTgreat #38 Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:55 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Clan Commander
  • 55843 battles

View PostBattleMetalChris, on 16 May 2014 - 03:12 AM, said:

Hopefully all the whiners who'll never be pleased with anything, ever, will all go and whine on their forums instead.

^^This

BugPowderDust #39 Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:02 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 19294 battles

I've played a few hours on WTGF yesterday, and here's some initial observations:

The Good

• Looks really, really good. Plumes of dust kicking up behind the tanks as they roll across dusty plains. Sun streaming through tree tops. Looking forward to rain and snow
  • Maps are big, you get the feeling of being enveloped by it (God knows how the Russian Steppe must've felt in WW2)
  • Tanks don't cloak! They either move behind cover, or you can shoot them. Me likey.
  • Three different modes- Arcade, Realistic, Simulator- take your pick for realism/ difficulty/ higher rewards. Don't like playing with 'tomatoes', go for realistic or simulator. No aim help there.
  • Love the way the tanks move in terms of moving through gears. Can be frustrating though (see below)
  • Damage model- no HP nonsense,  you can (and do) get one-shotted quite a bit. Ammo-rack hits are a common reality.
  • Respawn- when you die, you can return a limited amount of times depending on game mode.

The Bad

• Balance issues...
  • Grinding through 4 different variants of Pz4 to get to the next tank can be a little meh, but effectively you're doing the same as grinding a new gun on WoT so there's no real difference
  • The minimap...too small and unreadable, hard to see where the enemy tanks have been spotted. If you can make it bigger, I haven't seen how.
  • Tank movement- way too easy to flick out the back end, then suddenly you can't get the damn thing traversing on the spot. A bit schizophrenic (but this is undoubtedly down to me, and being used to WoT)

Having said all the above, it's early days still I guess. Due to the harder mode of aiming and shooting, games feel more static and less fluid (score one for WoT) but this may change as people get used to the controls. Until they sort out tank movement though, it's highly risky to be too mobile- one careless flick of the wrist and you will spin a 180. Oh, and trees can really fk you up if you hit one.

Too early to compare the 2 games yet, far too many differences. Interested to see where Gaijin take it though.

Edited by BugPowderDust, 16 May 2014 - 06:14 AM.

Woel #40 Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:25 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24260 battles

View Postwesty77, on 16 May 2014 - 01:19 AM, said:

WT is more "realistic" and harder than WoT 

Considering the majority of people struggle with this game I doubt WT will have any impact on WoT

I believe it will make a positive outcome for WoT as they will have competition and may up their game

This exactly.

The average player in WoT tends to have tunnel vision, lack of battlefield awareness, inability of reading the minimal and bad aim - despite all the aim helpers that WoT offers. In the couple of hours in War Thunder I played, I had some trouble spotting enemies, getting used to the shell drop for various guns and ammo types and in general being aware of my surroundings.

Despite all that, there'll surely be players who'll leave WoT for WT, but I have a feeling it will be barely if at all noticeable. 

I only hope that both games will benefit from eachothers' existance. I wouldn't mind if WG took some of the features from Ground Forces. Having a game mode without the aim helpers would be amazing in my opinion, let's not mention some of the tank skins (Just look up some videos of PzIV with those insanely sexy skirts. They do not have that plasticky feeling as in WoT, but actual battle-worn steel).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users