What is hull down in layman terms

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

Mi10N #1 Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:54 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 2434 battles
Hi all,

Am coming accross the term "Hull Down" quite often, but haven't found an easy to understand explanation on what is meant and what the benefits are from "going  hull down".

Anyone able to explain?  :unsure:

Cheers,
Milon

DriveBy #2 Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:55 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 16841 battles
http://upload.wikime...ank_diagram.png

Details:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hull-down

Llamafarmer #3 Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:13 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 30021 battles
  • [F-T-R] F-T-R
As the diagram shows. It minimizes the exposure of the front of the vehicle to the enemy,presenting a smaller target to aim at, while still allowing the gun turret to track any potential targets.

Turret down is used when just the commander wants to observe from behind the hill, without presenting any target to the emeny

3Raven #4 Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:18 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 18809 battles
It should also be added that it is a position you should try to achieve whenever possible. The turret is a much much smaller target, has more armor than the hull and is (usually) well sloped giving you even more effective armor. Frequently the only thing that will damage a turret is HE shells (unless you have a lot of penetration advantage on your gun).

Nhid #5 Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:00 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 972 battles
I did not know this either. Thank you DriveBy for this exceptionally clear illustration.  :Smile_honoring:

Mi10N #6 Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:58 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 2434 battles
So is it true that Russian tanks in WOT are less capable of achieving 'hull down" then American and German counterparts, due to degrees the turret can move down vertically from base position (0 degrees)?

Ifso, how big a factor is this in deciding to go for e.g. Amarican/German Heavy tank line over Russian? (I heard IS-7 is a monster compared to American/German Tier X).

Rickenbacker #7 Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:14 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 1935 battles
Because of the steep angles of the terrain (a very common problem in games), MOST tanks can't effectively use hull down positions on hills except in some very few spots. But the russians are the worst at it, with their limited depression angles.

Flakey #8 Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:27 AM

Sergeant

• Clan Diplomat
  • 30470 battles
  • [8INCH] 8INCH

View PostMilon, on 25 May 2011 - 09:58 AM, said:

Ifso, how big a factor is this in deciding to go for e.g. Amarican/German Heavy tank line over Russian? (I heard IS-7 is a monster compared to American/German Tier X).

Not true, the most common tank you see in clan wars is the American T 30

Mi10N #9 Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:39 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 2434 battles

View PostFlakey, on 25 May 2011 - 10:27 AM, said:

Not true, the most common tank you see in clan wars is the American T 30

Thanks for that contribution Flakey on your experience in the clan wars  :Smile_great:  However it does not relate to or answer my question  :unsure: , does it?

RokRoland #10 Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:45 AM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 12581 battles
  • [ASEET] ASEET

View PostMilon, on 25 May 2011 - 09:58 AM, said:

So is it true that Russian tanks in WOT are less capable of achieving 'hull down" then American and German counterparts, due to degrees the turret can move down vertically from base position (0 degrees)?

I am not sure what your "does it" question was, but:

Perhaps one of the biggest weak points of most Soviet tanks is that the turret does not traverse down very well. German tanks exhibit some of this as well. In contrast the American tanks are quite good in it, even though some of the heavies were nerfed (but will be returned apparently) in gun depression.

It is a factor that should be considered together with your own play style. Sure IS-7 is a monster, but T30 is a monster in its own right by gun alone, too, and Maus got improved in the last patch too and is hardly a slouch either. Of course the forum wisdom of "Always go Soviet if you want it easy" has its merits, both in vehicle performance and in the grind required (unupgraded Soviet tanks are generally easier and/or more enjoyable to drive than unupgraded German vehicles).

Flakey #11 Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:59 AM

Sergeant

• Clan Diplomat
  • 30470 battles
  • [8INCH] 8INCH
Well I was responding to you point about the IS 7 being a monster compared to the other two. To answer your main question though it depends on your play style which tank branch you should try to develop. All tanks have strengths and weaknesses, and if your play style reinforces the tanks strength you will do well. So saying that is do you like finding and fighting from hull down positions if so go for American heavies.

There are also a number of places around the various maps that a German or American tank can fight hull down, but the Russian tank would need to stand on a few boxes to be able to shoot, from being a far lower machine. Russian machines can go hull down but the spots it can do are not as common as their counterparts. That and the more limited gun depression adds up. The Russian heavies can fight hull down in a fair number of places, but it is not one of its main strengths. How much influence that has on a persons decision to pick a branch to go along is something only that person can really decide though.

Mi10N #12 Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:28 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 2434 battles
Thanks all, understand much better now  :Smile_honoring: . As an example I read below in the US vehicle forum and understood it perfectly (and learned that HE is the way to go when shooting at turret you can't penetrate).

View PostHomer_J, on 25 May 2011 - 03:29 AM, said:

I'm astonished that someone gets to tier 10 without realising some basic fundamentals of the game.

You weren't 2 shotted by an IS-7 unless the 2nd shot got your ammo rack.

You aren't going through an IS-7 turret no matter what you use so fire HE or don't bother.

I had an IS-7 in beta and the only way to take on a hull down T30 was to use HE on it.  If you expose your hull then you are Swiss cheese.  Even with HE I never 2 shotted a T30.

T30 (I believe) has the best tier 10 victory/survival stats but it needs a skilled player to make the most of it.

Gonna practice hull down in my coming matches (and swapping to HE when appropriate)  :Smile-playing:

IGITSIBill70 #13 Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:27 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 3208 battles
  • [GITS-] GITS-

View PostLlamafarmer, on 24 May 2011 - 01:13 PM, said:

As the diagram shows. It minimizes the exposure of the front of the vehicle to the enemy,presenting a smaller target to aim at, while still allowing the gun turret to track any potential targets.

Turret down is used when just the commander wants to observe from behind the hill, without presenting any target to the emeny

Very good Explanation is spot on .....

Goodwill #14 Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:55 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 4353 battles

View PostMi10N, on 25 May 2011 - 09:58 AM, said:

Not really, IS-4 has a greater gun depression than most US tanks.  In the same vein T-32 now has worse gun depression than pretty much any Russian heavy.  It depends on the tank.