• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

Xensation #1 Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:25 PM

Lieutenant General

• Clan Commander
  • 19503 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

POPULAR

Like this thread? Check that out for more: Xensation's Protips for Beginners and Intermediates.

This thread is part of my Weekly Protips series and this episode explains how, when and why to use Auto-Aim (hereinafter referred to as AA).

- AA's default key is the right mouse button. You aim at an enemy, press RMB and it starts aiming. Pressing and holding RMB with or without aiming at an enemy locks your turret.

- AA should not be used in every situation, because you're required to aim at weak spots most of the time, while AA always aims at the same spots.

- Situation 1: You circle an enemy. Here you can either use 3rd person, sniper or AA.

Arcade mode became highly unreliably with the fix of an issue a couple of months ago, so it's not recommended to use it anymore (I can elaborate in another postbelow if the demand is high enough).

Sniper mode is very difficult to use while you're running around an enemy, because the camera is shaky and you sacrifice most of your situational awareness (you don't see anything happening around you).

AA on the other hand always aims for the hull (i.e. weakspot when circling the enemy and shooting sides/rears) and allows you to focus on maneuvering and watching your surroundings. It's the most efficient and easiest solution here.

- Situation 2: You peek a boo around corners (see video below).

This is something that has most probably happened at least once to all of you. You sit around a corner near an object, want to peek out to hit an enemy, the reticle is not on the object anymore, you fire, you hit the object. That's really annoying and happens when you don't use a serverside reticle. However, such a reticle does not fix the issue, it just helps you avoid shooting rocks and houses by accident. The reticle will still lag behind your gun/clientside reticle a bit.

Solution: You use AA as soon as your target is in your line of sight. The serverside reticle will lock on the target even if you keep moving back and forth behind the wall/object, which would make the reticle lag behind if you aimed manually (it's irrelevant whether it's sniper and arcade mode, both would lag without using AA).

Situation 3: You lack a bit of gun depression.

Firstly, this hasn't been tested by me yet and I don't know if it's an illegal exploit, but if the AA point (the spot the AA aims at, somewhere in the middle of the tank) is inside the reticle and you use AA, the reticle will aim exactly at that spot. This means you can use AA to increase your maximum gun depression. For instance you sit above an enemy and his AA spot is inside your reticle, somewhere around the edge of it, but you need more gun depression to get a good shot at him, you can use AA and have it aim at that spot like you had sufficient gun depression.

I'm not sure if this was clear enough. I will make a drawing if necessary.

- Situation 4: You turn your camera.

This probably sounds familiar to most of you: You want to see what is behind you, so you turn your camera and have your turret turn around as well. It can cost you lots of time when you have to turn around again to shoot an enemy or even HP if you get spotted and have your weak turret sides/rear exposed. Being able to watch where you are going without aiming that way (e.g. when you're retreating but still want to point your gun at the enemy) is extremely useful as well.

As explained earlier, AA does not only aim for targets automatically, it also locks your turret when you hold the RMB. It's a really useful feature you should try to use and take advantage of on the battlefield.

Edited by Xensation, 04 July 2014 - 09:33 PM.

blademansw #2 Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:34 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14152 battles
  • [A-W-G] A-W-G
Nice post m8 +1

Hummus #3 Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:35 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 19076 battles
  • [DIIIK] DIIIK

I have removed AA from my button setup .... but I actually didn't know points 1 and 3.

Have a +1

Thrombozyt #4 Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:48 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 32571 battles
  • [EFE-S] EFE-S

Since when is gun lock and auto aim the same? It's even two different key binds. I have disabled the RMB auto aim specifically because it annoys the hell out of me if I want to gun lock while pointing the gun at a target (e.g. during reload). Now I have auto aim on one key and RMB is still the gun lock.

Nice info on 3 - thought it's probably an exploit. I will try test that. For #1 I still prefer arcade and I don't know what fix you are talking about.. it still works fine for me.

rustysprite #5 Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:49 PM

Major

• Player
  • 25735 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I use points one and two with great success

Nicely explained

+1

TheDrownedApe #6 Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:54 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 57691 battles
every day is a school day, never thought of using it whilst circling, +1

IPaul72 #7 Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:54 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 8123 battles

Hello there

Thanks for your guide and keep up the good work :smile:

I will move it to guides and tutorials.

Kind regards

IPaul72

wims80 #8 Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:58 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10923 battles

After watching a few Morgotz replays and watching Lucique play I noticed that they often use autoaim when cresting steep ridges. When they pop over the crest AA is automatically aiming at the enemy which I guess reduces the engagement time. Perhaps it's a variant of #3, I hadn't heard of this exploit, I thought it was just a way to reduce engagement time and increase survivability.

And just a little comment about using sniper view to aim while circling. If you use dynamic camera then the camera shaking is very minimal, it's pretty straight forward to keep the crosshair at the enemy.

Edited by wims80, 20 May 2014 - 03:38 PM.

GhostintheTenk #9 Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:00 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 50 battles

I don't use AA because... eh... aimbots in shooters are lame to the max and should be removed, but for circeling it is definitely useful. Especially since 3rd-person-aim is so blatantly unreliable...

I have to request stronk paint skillz for Situation 3.

Or do you mean, that if you can't directly reach down to the AA-point, you still have the chance to hit the turret or something if RNG gives you a little deviation downwards, because the aim locks on at the AA-point's position (, rather than the background, where your manual aimpoint is pointing at?

Edited by GhostintheTenk, 20 May 2014 - 03:01 PM.

wims80 #10 Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:02 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10923 battles

View PostIPaul72, on 20 May 2014 - 03:54 PM, said:

Hello there

Thanks for your guide and keep up the good work :smile:

I will move it to guides and tutorials.

Kind regards

IPaul72

Why move it here, nobody will see it

Xensation #11 Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:31 PM

Lieutenant General

• Clan Commander
  • 19503 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
I will work on drawings now. Give me half an hour or so. :)

Gruminmor #12 Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14766 battles
  • [KITTY] KITTY

View PostHummus, on 20 May 2014 - 02:35 PM, said:

I have removed AA from my button setup .... but I actually didn't know points 1 and 3.

Have a +1

Same here.

Gonna go remap my keys and try out the gun depression thing.

Xensation #13 Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:38 PM

Lieutenant General

• Clan Commander
  • 19503 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

What was fixed in arcade mode?

As most of the older members know, there used to be unwanted behavior of guns with tall objects nearby. This is what it used to be like:

At some point WG implemented a fix that gave the gun its desired behavior:

As you can see, collisions of your line of sight with nearby objects are ignored now. This is very helpful when fighting around corners, because you don't want your gun to aim somewhere at the roof of the house in front of you (you had to use the gun lock feature to avoid this). However, this added some unwanted behavior when shooting tanks in 3rd person mode. It makes you miss much more often than before the change (I used to use arcade mode 99% of the time, because of huge freezes and FPS drops when switching to sniper mode).

I cannot explain why exactly the change is causing this, since the problem could have been fixed without messing with anything else. The reticle used to get stuck at the tank and allow you to aim for the hull really well just by moving around the camera somewhere in the distance or on the ground behind the target (maybe that was unwanted as well?), while now the gun always aims exactly at the point you look at rather than where the gun's "LOS" collides with the tank (it collides anyway but the translation from camera to gun movement was different).

Even when aiming at tanks a bit further away using 3rd person the aim became much less accurate (or just different?). Maybe I'm just used to the old arcade aim, but ever since the patch using that mode for shooting became too unreliable to me and I regret it every single time I forget to switch to sniper mode or use AA.

Edited by Xensation, 20 May 2014 - 04:40 PM.

Xensation #14 Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:02 PM

Lieutenant General

• Clan Commander
  • 19503 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

And this is how the feature (bug?) in #3 is supposed to work:

The drawing is either exaggerated or I failed to reproduce the bug/exploit/feature.

http://forum.worldof...95#entry8139795

Edited by Xensation, 20 May 2014 - 06:44 PM.

TankkiPoju #15 Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:42 PM

General

• Player
  • 29678 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
I use auto aim when playing light scouts, and you are trying to get away from enemy while dodging fire. I have it mapped to key E.

Blue_Badger #16 Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:43 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 14731 battles
  • [3VS27] 3VS27

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought number 3 was about being able to snap onto the target as fast as possible when cresting a hill etc. Rather than hunt for the shot in sniper mode or 3rd person which takes time which = more exposure, you can use AA and it will snap on automatically. You take the shot and GTFO.

I haven't heard anything about it actually increasing gun dep though you could be right. Do you have a replay or a source to support this?

Xensation #17 Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:06 PM

Lieutenant General

• Clan Commander
  • 19503 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

View PostBlue_Badger, on 20 May 2014 - 05:43 PM, said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought number 3 was about being able to snap onto the target as fast as possible when cresting a hill etc. Rather than hunt for the shot in sniper mode or 3rd person which takes time which = more exposure, you can use AA and it will snap on automatically. You take the shot and GTFO.

I haven't heard anything about it actually increasing gun dep though you could be right. Do you have a replay or a source to support this?

I was told that it strangely increases your gun depression. Have not really used it in that way yet, but I will try to remember testing it next time I play a random battle (or maybe make a training room).

Blue_Badger #18 Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:10 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 14731 battles
  • [3VS27] 3VS27
Cheers, I'll test it out too when I get the chance :)

Xensation #19 Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:11 PM

Lieutenant General

• Clan Commander
  • 19503 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

I am actually going to do it now. Wanna go into a training room together maybe?

Thanks to Phlypour for his time.

AA does give a bit more gun depression, but it's not really that much of an advantage (only very rarely useable). I'm not sure if this is the whole exploit or if AA can add more gun depression than that. If yes, I couldn't reproduce it.

Note: M103 was very close to me. It'd make a bigger difference if it were very far away.

Edited by Xensation, 20 May 2014 - 06:54 PM.

GhostintheTenk #20 Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:25 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 50 battles

Hmm... if that is true, I'd definitely call it a bug. But I have no idea how that should be possible...

Could it be that it has to do with the automated shelldrop-compensation?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users