What to do with Chaffee?

Chaffee power creep poll

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Decision (38 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battle in order to participate this poll.

Choice

1. Leave Chaffee in garage, see what happens (32 votes [84.21%])

Percentage of vote: 84.21%

2. Sell it, use crew on T71 (6 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

What do you think of Chaffee

1. Still viable after power creep (8 votes [21.05%])

Percentage of vote: 21.05%

2. Good in tier 7-8-9, but tier 10 mediums and 7-8 scouts are too much (16 votes [42.11%])

Percentage of vote: 42.11%

3. No matter what, really good tank (14 votes [36.84%])

Percentage of vote: 36.84%

Vote Hide poll

DOCT0R_ #1 Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:20 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22500 battles
  • [WHEN] WHEN

Good evening tankers! Today I have question after recent loss streak with low chance of me influencing battle, I remember I had something like above average rating during that time, averaged around 900 DPG and probably spotting, but to no avail.

Maybe it was just extreme case, but I have noticed that Chaffee has issues, those are new mediums that have similar mobility, same view range and better armor, camouflage and guns, or new lights which are also similar to mediums. I mean, what is point scouting in Chaffee when everything can blast you 1-2 shots, more likely one, has better camo while having same view.

Since the patch buffed VK2801, I will most likely buy it and check it out, so that leaves Chaffee where?

And in my opinion in linked you can see what new lights can do that Chaffee can't.

http://wotreplays.eu...o03-m24_chaffee

Edited by kreso03, 13 June 2014 - 03:29 PM.

Highway_Star #2 Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:46 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 18377 battles

Terrible poll options. I refuse to select any options.

My choice; Chaffee is still a beast, has always been a beast, I'll never sell it.

Edited by Highway_Star, 11 June 2014 - 10:47 PM.

DOCT0R_ #3 Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:54 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22500 battles
  • [WHEN] WHEN
What is wrong with them? It is other choice of saying it is still good or only at certain tiers good. :amazed:

Highway_Star #4 Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:08 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 18377 battles
It's actually better in tier ten games than in low tier games. In tier ten games, if you spot an enemy then he's usually hit for a billion damage by WT e-100s and FV183s. As the spotter you get a massive chunk of XP and credits for assisting.

azakow #5 Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:42 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 84625 battles

What to do?

Take the M24 Chaffee to the battlefield!

View Postkreso03, on 11 June 2014 - 08:20 PM, said:

Good evening tankers! Today I have question after recent loss streak with low chance of me influencing battle, I remember I had something like above average rating during that time, averaged around 900 DPG and probably spotting, but to no avail.

Maybe it was just extreme case, but I have noticed that Chaffee has issues, those are new mediums that have similar mobility, same view range and better armor, camouflage and guns, or new lights which are also similar to mediums. I mean, what is point scouting in Chaffee when everything can blast you 1-2 shots, more likely one, has better camo while having same view.

Since the patch buffed VK2801, I will most likely buy it and check it out, so that leaves Chaffee where?

And in my opinion in linked you can see what new lights can do that Chaffee can't.

http://wotreplays.eu...o03-m24_chaffee

In general LT5-6 are one or two shots and LT7-8 may be lucky to resist 4 shots.

The point is not to be seen at all, hence noone can shoot at you.

The mantra for any LT commander is: Do not get hit.

Your LT experience on ELC will only partly be useful while commanding M24.

The same applies to VK28.01.

The VK28.01 and the ELC have a reduced MM since the last patch, the M24 Chaffee stayed unchanged.

I take the M24 Chaffee for the adrenaline kick and the MM challenge.

I do not care about faster, stronger and better viewing MT at all.

At the end it comes down to you battlefield behavior according the the map and the team setup.

Have a look: http://wotreplays.com/uploader/azakow/id/267879/nation/3/type/1/

Your replay:

Well if you look at the new LT you shoud consider, that the WZ-132 is a LT8 dealing 2.6k damage and you are LT5 dealing 2.3k damage.

I do not see a problem at all.

Moreover, remember that LT can't carry a match, not the WZ-132 and not the M24 Chaffee. Usually in such matches the problem resides elsewhere, i.e. ST-I and E100.

(Poll options are terrible and not functional)

Edited by azakow, 12 June 2014 - 05:42 PM.

Ksielvin #6 Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:43 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7010 battles

I'll keep playing mine. I've felt the difficulty with changed maps but decided to double down on spotting with optics/binocs combo instead of trying to be more shooty like my higher tier lights.

Note 9.1 did not make Chaffee harder to play. Other lights got slightly easier battle tiers (BT) but their matchmaking weights stayed the same. This means Chaffee is likely to see same opponents in matches as before. If you're in BT 10 match and game can't put a tier 6 light in opposing team anymore, it will (on average) give you slightly stronger allies instead in exchange of enemy light maybe being able to take 1 more shot. At pure spotting you're on par.

DOCT0R_ #7 Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22500 battles
  • [WHEN] WHEN

I do like it more in tier 7-8, usually end up with 1k damage, only borsig gives me problems.

But I guess it is problem I play it similarly to M7, playing recklessly in beginning, taking opportunities when you can, etc.

I will give it a try later, when it first settles down in my head.

Could you give you me headlines which you use in Chaffee?

Stay as far as you can, engage whenever you can?

And about 1shots, ALWAYS, WT's with 560 average and plus all TD's with 750 damage instakill me, I thing I had no exceptions till now

It could be all down to luck, I think. With T21, which is cheaper to maintain, but "worse" tank, which I played when I knew less, it seems I had scored better results

Also first time trying to place poll, fixed now most likely

Edited by kreso03, 13 June 2014 - 05:46 PM.

Highway_Star #8 Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:44 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 18377 battles

View Postkreso03, on 13 June 2014 - 03:25 PM, said:

I do like it more in tier 7-8, usually end up with 1k damage, only borsig gives me problems.

But I guess it is problem I play it similarly to M7, playing recklessly in beginning, taking opportunities when you can, etc.

And about 1shots, ALWAYS, WT's with 560 average and plus all TD's with 750 damage instakill me, I thing I had no exceptions till now

It could be all down to luck, I think. With T21, which is cheaper to maintain, but "worse" tank, which I played when I knew less, it seems I had scored better results

Sounds like you're too damage focused. Often the best games in my Chaffee are ones where I never fire a shot.

azakow #9 Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:43 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 84625 battles

View Postkreso03, on 13 June 2014 - 04:25 PM, said:

Do not get hit!

This includes all playstyles for this vehicle.

:smile:

DOCT0R_ #10 Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:58 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22500 battles
  • [WHEN] WHEN
After some thought, I will leave Chaffee until I get enough credits to buy optics and gun rammer, Chaffee isn't really for sitting still and just spotting (which is what I have with current setup)

VeryRisky #11 Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:29 PM

General

• Player
  • 18537 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postkreso03, on 26 June 2014 - 07:58 PM, said:

After some thought, I will leave Chaffee until I get enough credits to buy optics and gun rammer, Chaffee isn't really for sitting still and just spotting (which is what I have with current setup)

Rammer is only relevant if you are firing continuously which is generally a rarity with the chaffee.  

DOCT0R_ #12 Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:02 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22500 battles
  • [WHEN] WHEN

Thanks for answer, never thought about that.

What I have to overcome, is that it isn't fast or camofaluged like ELC, so without optics there is no point in active scouting.

And for passive scouting, I am not really that patient when it isn't necessary (when it isn't 1v3 or similar).

One day I will get it right!

By the way, anyone wants to platoon to see what it is actually problem?

It's not that I am totally clueless, I recently had game with 7000+ spotting, but for maps where spotting isn't really option (from todays play 2/3 were Ruinberg and Himmelsdorf)

Edited by kreso03, 04 July 2014 - 10:11 PM.

Rokim #13 Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:46 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29214 battles
Little off topic just a simple question. Who I need to kill to win a freaking battle with this tank? I start playing it again 1 month ago when they announced line will expand and I try to grind some xp,guess what I didnt win 1 battle with this turd in god damm month,hard to imagine but currently over 20 defeats in row.I could make a documentary movie now "Win a battle with this turd or win a jackpot on lottery" or maybe a damm comedy.All this becoming insane already,is there somewhere a hidden camera or maybe win chance restricted on my accoun by wg to make a joke of the month or what.This is unbelivable I CANT win a battle with this tank.

ollonborre #14 Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:17 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 17004 battles

Regarding camo and possibly active scouting, the Chaffe only has 1% less base camo than an Elc for example and adding the 400 m viewrange optics is suddenly not a bad idea.

I have not played the Chaffe in ages though, and if I recall I was pretty bad in it. But with the T49 LT coming I better start collecting XP.

VeryRisky #15 Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:23 AM

General

• Player
  • 18537 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostRokim, on 31 July 2014 - 07:46 AM, said:

Little off topic just a simple question. Who I need to kill to win a freaking battle with this tank? I start playing it again 1 month ago when they announced line will expand and I try to grind some xp,guess what I didnt win 1 battle with this turd in god damm month,hard to imagine but currently over 20 defeats in row.I could make a documentary movie now "Win a battle with this turd or win a jackpot on lottery" or maybe a damm comedy.All this becoming insane already,is there somewhere a hidden camera or maybe win chance restricted on my accoun by wg to make a joke of the month or what.This is unbelivable I CANT win a battle with this tank.

Just don't advance more that 1/3 of the way across the map for 5 mins.  Rushing to a forward bush can be awesome but if you rush into their rusher you are dead and nothing you can do about it.   Camp up for a few mins until you can see where wither initial deployment is and then see where you can push up and do some serious spotting and sniping.   The tank is far more effective when the game drops to 10v10 or 7v7 as there is more space.

Obviously in a low tier match you can expect to get a lot of damage in, but even in a T7 that is not your primary goal if you want to win battles.

iulian95rosu #16 Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:27 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 16626 battles
  • [EUTB] EUTB

1.Choice

Leave Chaffee in garage, see what happens

2.What do you think of Chaffee

Good in tier 7-8-9, but tier 10 mediums and 7-8 scouts are too much

Also tagged with Chaffee, power creep, poll

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users