"Noob" calling == dweebish?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

Tichy67 #1 Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:54 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11340 battles

Just had a ok battle on hidden village with my Dicker Max (I think I do ok with it, it's situational) - really don't know the map yet because I hadn't played it that much recently, so I followed my heavies as support from the south spawn to the right.

Spotted some, did some damage, killed a IS-2, in late game a FV304 somehow was running between all the heavies duking it out and I relieved it from the stress to be greeted with "premium noob". Now that got me thinking... (not)... playing a unarmored TD which has a good punch and view range (and gun depression:wub:) as crew trainer and killing a stupid arty that could have rained death from above (I had been spotted several times) makes me the noob?

Well, I wrote it on the forum ages before I think: Calling someone a noob equals being one. +1 if you die early and call your own team noobs ;) Tichy's law: These are somehow always the guys that end up in the low exp range.

RogDodgeUK #2 Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:41 PM

Player

• Player
  • 10827 battles
moved to off topic

Tichy67 #3 Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:06 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11340 battles
Thanks ;) I will from now on try to avoid somewhat positive posts on the forum. Fits the overall mood better I think.

steview162 #4 Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:45 PM

Brigadier

• Clan Diplomat
  • 33397 battles
  • [-T-O-] -T-O-
Only complete nerds think noob is an insult. Agree completely.

1ncompetenc3 #5 Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:11 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36897 battles

People are idiots. I once got called a "gold noob" when playing Matilda IV by a teammate with less than 1k battles before the 30 second countdown had even finished.

Also, I don't know if you use XVM, but 9 times out of 10 anyone complaining about noobs is a complete tomato with a battle count that is far too high for his performance rating to be acceptable.

Edited by Vonnis, 22 June 2014 - 11:11 PM.

Desyatnik_Pansy #6 Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:48 PM

Bartender

• Player
  • 16040 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostVonnis, on 22 June 2014 - 11:11 PM, said:

People are idiots. I once got called a "gold noob" when playing Matilda IV by a teammate with less than 1k battles before the 30 second countdown had even finished.

Also, I don't know if you use XVM, but 9 times out of 10 anyone complaining about noobs is a complete tomato with a battle count that is far too high for his performance rating to be acceptable.

People will accuse Gold on literally anything. Got called a Gold noob by an AT2 After derping him with the M4's 105mm; and no, I don't have any Gold loaded on that thing. But then again, I recently got a mod that tells me regarding the ammunition used on me and jesus; the number of people firing Gold in low tiers against tanks they really shouldn't bother is laughable. 

1ncompetenc3 #7 Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:02 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36897 battles

View PostDesyatnik_Pansy, on 23 June 2014 - 12:48 AM, said:

People will accuse Gold on literally anything. Got called a Gold noob by an AT2 After derping him with the M4's 105mm; and no, I don't have any Gold loaded on that thing. But then again, I recently got a mod that tells me regarding the ammunition used on me and jesus; the number of people firing Gold in low tiers against tanks they really shouldn't bother is laughable. 

I know these are well outside your normal tiers, but you should try playing something like a Centurion 7/1 or FV4202. They're great for comments about "gold" ammo. Shoot someone with APCR? Gold noob, because apparently APCR is always premium ammo. Shoot someone with premium HESH? Gold noob, because apparently using an ammo type with substantially lower pen and penetrating anyway is indicative of a lack of skill. Shoot someone with cheap HESH? Yep, gold noob, because... I don't even know.

Never realised there's so much premium ammo thrown around in low tiers though. I tend to use a fair bit of HEAT when playing the duck, but most of my low tiers work just fine with AP (just like the higher tiers, really :eyesup:).

Desyatnik_Pansy #8 Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:04 AM

Bartender

• Player
  • 16040 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostVonnis, on 23 June 2014 - 12:02 AM, said:

I know these are well outside your normal tiers, but you should try playing something like a Centurion 7/1 or FV4202.

Oh I've already heard PLENTY of stories. :harp:

GemmaLou #9 Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:15 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 8127 battles

View PostVonnis, on 23 June 2014 - 12:02 AM, said:

I know these are well outside your normal tiers, but you should try playing something like a Centurion 7/1 or FV4202. They're great for comments about "gold" ammo. Shoot someone with APCR? Gold noob, because apparently APCR is always premium ammo. Shoot someone with premium HESH? Gold noob, because apparently using an ammo type with substantially lower pen and penetrating anyway is indicative of a lack of skill. Shoot someone with cheap HESH? Yep, gold noob, because... I don't even know.

Never realised there's so much premium ammo thrown around in low tiers though. I tend to use a fair bit of HEAT when playing the duck, but most of my low tiers work just fine with AP (just like the higher tiers, really :eyesup:).

tbh i can understand it.

i hadn't played for ages, thought i'd give it a go tonight so i jumped in my kv1s, got bottom tier (one of the reasons i stopped playing) and came across a no armour tank destroyer. i fire, it bounced but none of the enemy shells did.

if i do play again (dunno if i will) then i'll be using a lot of gold because i don't want the stupid + or - 25% rng to screw me over

1ncompetenc3 #10 Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:26 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36897 battles

View PostGemmaLou, on 23 June 2014 - 01:15 AM, said:

tbh i can understand it.

i hadn't played for ages, thought i'd give it a go tonight so i jumped in my kv1s, got bottom tier (one of the reasons i stopped playing) and came across a no armour tank destroyer. i fire, it bounced but none of the enemy shells did.

if i do play again (dunno if i will) then i'll be using a lot of gold because i don't want the stupid + or - 25% rng to screw me over

I think the problem with KV-1S shots bouncing isn't something APCR is going to help much with. Even in tier VIII the 122mm AP shells have enough penetration to be able to penetrate most tanks frontally; when they bounce it tends to be because they hit a highly sloped part of the target's armour due to the gun's craptastic accuracy. I suppose you could give it a try but I doubt APCR would help much on that particular tank.

On a sidenote, if you don't play because you don't like being bottom tier, try platooning with a masochist who doesn't care about or even enjoys it. Might be inspiring. :tongue:

Edited by Vonnis, 23 June 2014 - 12:35 AM.

GemmaLou #11 Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:32 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 8127 battles

View PostVonnis, on 23 June 2014 - 12:26 AM, said:

I think the problem with KV-1S shots bouncing isn't something APCR is going to help much with. Even in tier VIII the 122mm AP shells have enough penetration to be able to penetrate most tanks frontally; when they bounce it tends to be because they hit a highly sloped part of the target's armour due to the gun's craptastic accuracy. I suppose you could give it a try but I doubt APCR won't help much on that particular tank.

On a sidenote, if you don't play because you don't like being bottom tier, try platooning with a masochist who doesn't care about or even enjoys it. Might be inspiring. :tongue:

yeh maybe, it's just with a load more penetration there's a lot less chance for the rng to mess you up

i don't mind being bottom tier sometimes it's bottom tier so often that got me fed up enough to take a break before cos i get bottom tank with a team of people that  think chewing with their mouths shut is tricky

1ncompetenc3 #12 Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:42 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36897 battles

View PostGemmaLou, on 23 June 2014 - 01:32 AM, said:

yeh maybe, it's just with a load more penetration there's a lot less chance for the rng to mess you up

It does remove one part of RNG (penetration), true. I'd give it a try but I really don't like playing KV-1S outside TC. :tongue:

View PostGemmaLou, on 23 June 2014 - 01:32 AM, said:

i don't mind being bottom tier sometimes it's bottom tier so often that got me fed up enough to take a break before cos i get bottom tank with a team of people that  think chewing with their mouths shut is tricky

Fair enough. :veryhappy:

I admit sometimes I get a bit fed up with being bottom tier myself, particularly when my top tier teammates are pancakes in most of those battles, but when MM screws me like that I screw it right back by playing a tier IX or X, or a premium tank with special MM. No more facing +2 tiers that way. :tongue:

prelate7 #13 Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:09 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2900 battles

During my rather long and uneventfull career at WoT, I was called noob many times. And when I had xvm installed, I was suprised that guys calling me noob were often the once with much worse WR than me.

In the end I understood, that no matter how they call you, no matter how good you play, and no matter how bad they are - being just a "nickname" and how you act in the game shows who you are (those raging, naming and cursing over a game).

With regards to gold ammo... well - it is part of the game, and until they change the rules, you have to "suck it up".

_sky_is_blue_ #14 Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:33 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 100 battles

Noob → Newbie / Bad player.

Noob → Insult.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users