What would the world be like now if world war one didn't happen...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

Gangerr #1 Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:35 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 16828 battles
At the begining of the 19th century britian was a major world power, she owned a 3rd of the world from canada too new zealand.  Germany, austria-hungary and russia were all equally strong at this time.  If the events in sebra in 1914 didn't happen (assassination of archduke franz ferdinand), the first world war wouldn't have happen.  Most of the worlds problems come from this single incident.  I think the world would been a very difference place today, I might not of even been born.

Without a first world war, hitler would never of come to power and they wouldn't of been a second world war, they wouldn't of been a holocaust and over 50 million people wouldn't have been killed.  They may not of been a state of israel (in the aftermath of ww2) and all the problems in the middle east today.

Britain would not of become bankruapt and lost its empire but still it would of have some sort of empire and they would still be some sort of class system in place to keep its people in check.

The american dollar would of never become the worlds curreny and even the united stated may never of become a world power and the swinging 60's would never of happen.

Lenin would never of come into power and the romanovs would still be in power in russia today meaning communism would never have taken root in russia.  Other side too this would be no warsaw pact, no nato, no wars in indochina and vietnam in the 50's and 60's.

But these are just thoughts, things could of been alot worst.. we will never know for sure.

MetalForever #2 Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:48 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 9772 battles
I've read a book about the first months of the First World War, 'The Guns of August' (http://en.wikipedia...._Guns_of_August), from which I took the notion that the First World War would have happened anyway. Most major powers (i.e. France, Germany, Britain) were already gearing up for a major conflict, just look at the history if the Schliefen-Plan (http://en.wikipedia....Schlieffen_Plan). The murder in 1914 was just the excuse to start the whole thing up, it was not a question of if, but when.

At least, that is how I see it.

lolfighter #3 Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:24 PM

Private

• Player
  • 58 battles
I think it's a fallacy to attribute the first world war solely to the assassination in Sarajevo. The stage was set at the time. Think of Europe as a huge set of lined-up dominoes. The assassination of Franz Ferdinand was the finger that tipped over the first domino, but that's all. The dominoes were already standing, and if Ferdinand hadn't been assassinated in Sarajevo, something else would've happened and the first world war would have happened anyway. Maybe two years later. Maybe ten years later. But by 1914 it was inevitable, and everyone knew it.

It's virtually impossible to make an educated guess at how the world would have looked today without as momentous events as the world wars. I agree with you that the world wars are inseperably connected. Maybe if the end of the first world war had been handled differently, the second could have been avoided. But the way the first one ended, the second was inevitable.

Either way, in 1914, the ruling powers of Europe were itching for war. The assassination in Sarajevo gave them their excuse. If that hadn't happened, they would have found a different excuse. If we want to construct a hypothetical scenario in which the first world war didn't happen, we would need to go much further back.

Zm0r #4 Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:33 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Clan Diplomat
  • 21701 battles
  • [RED_S] RED_S
And there would me over 8 billion people now, and who the fuck knows how would we live... Our technology wouldn't be as advanced (yes, war makes new technologies get researched faster, imagine that...) and we wouldn't have this game...
Also, i think things would've been much worse if the 1st world war didn't happen when it did but, say 20 years later...
Oh, and don't think that it's the assassination that started it. Hungarians wanted to conquer Serbia for a long time before that, and they got their chance right there and then.

marko4231 #5 Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:37 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 15611 battles
First of all-dude its SERBIA, not sebra as you wrote, second there would most likely be ove 7 000 000 000 people today.
Cool thing for WOT, more gold to sell :-)

Zenith #6 Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:39 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 4227 battles
No war, no tanks mate.

Hammerbolt #7 Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:09 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 20180 battles
  • [TEC] TEC

View PostMetalForever, on 02 June 2011 - 12:48 PM, said:

I've read a book about the first months of the First World War, 'The Guns of August' (http://en.wikipedia...._Guns_of_August), from which I took the notion that the First World War would have happened anyway. Most major powers (i.e. France, Germany, Britain) were already gearing up for a major conflict, just look at the history if the Schliefen-Plan (http://en.wikipedia....Schlieffen_Plan). The murder in 1914 was just the excuse to start the whole thing up, it was not a question of if, but when.

At least, that is how I see it.

This is pretty much what happened. France was still looking for an excuse for payback for the Franco-Prussian war of 1870, and the UK and Germany had been having a arms race for the past 20 years. The war was inevitable. Sarajevo was just a convenient trigger. If not that, something else would have happened... <_<

Nathaniak #8 Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:42 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 5272 battles
War was pretty much inevitable. AFF's assassination was a trigger, but plenty of other triggers could have done it instead.

WWI was mainly due to the system of alliances between the western powers, which dragged them all into the war

Kyphe #9 Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:20 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 15358 battles
  • [TEC] TEC
I think the only question would be what would the first world war have been like if it had happened later on with potential different political alliances and better technology.

maybe the USA may have sided with the Germans, maybe the Germans would not have had to go through Belgium and avoid giving Britain an excuse to come into the war, maybe Germany would have stopped its naval expansion programs and diffuse the tension between them and the UK.

who knows?

there are a lot of unexpected and unplanned benefits to war, take the boer wars just prior to WW1, it was only due to the call for men that doctors first realized how unhealthy the British population had become, with over 80% of recruits failing the medical exam, this started the liberal reforms which ultimately lead to the formation of the NHS after WW2.

On thing to mention is that without WW1 and 2 there would be no home computers today and no internet and NO WOT

Gangerr #10 Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:47 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 16828 battles

View Postmarko4231, on 02 June 2011 - 01:37 PM, said:

First of all-dude its SERBIA, not sebra as you wrote

Yeah, its a spelling mistake on my part, I must of been think of zebras when I was writing it...

But as we all know in the end, both wars in europe destoryed the continent and bought about the fall of the old order,  empires thoughout europe ceased to be.

philipje #11 Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:21 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10350 battles
Dont be ridiculous, people have been fighting each other from the moment we crafted weapons. If there wasn't a WW1 and WW2, there would be another war anyway.

RoyalBengalTiger #12 Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:51 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 6921 battles
People have been fighting each other from before they were even people.

So since WW I had to occur because Europe was one big stick of dynamite in the early 20th century, Poland gained independence in 1918 as a result. Then in 1919, the Soviets attacked.

What if Poland lost? Would the Bolsheviks conquer Germany? How far would the Red Tide move westward?
If the Soviets failed to push West and Hitler gained power anyways, what would WW II look like?

Madtaff471 #13 Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:12 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 2066 battles
If WW1 did'nt happen would WW2 have occured ?. Was Hitler mentally scarred by his exp of the trenches ?,would tanks have been invented ?, would aircraft have developed as fast as they did ? Germany would not have been paying repatriation to the Allies, would we have had the depression of the 1930's, the list goes on and on. This sort of thing is very intresting but also mind boggling.

19Echo #14 Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:39 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 8870 battles
The United States was already a world power. It became the largest economy by 1890 and had the 3rd largest navy by 1914. Theodore Roosevelt's policies including the Great White Fleet's tour around the world cemented the US as a World Power.

RoyalBengalTiger #15 Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:27 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 6921 battles

View PostMadtaff471, on 10 July 2011 - 11:12 AM, said:

If WW1 did'nt happen would WW2 have occured ?. Was Hitler mentally scarred by his exp of the trenches ?,would tanks have been invented ?, would aircraft have developed as fast as they did ? Germany would not have been paying repatriation to the Allies, would we have had the depression of the 1930's, the list goes on and on. This sort of thing is very intresting but also mind boggling.
Well without Germany paying stuff Hitler would have lost one of his big arguments for going to war (let's show em that we don't owe 'em s***; it is they who should pay us).
My guess is that the Great Depression would have happened anyway, but Germany may have not been affected so hard. That may have caused Hitler to lose another one of his big arguments- to blame a specific group of people for all the evil the depression gave...

Airplanes would have evolved far slower, because there would be no need to fly and carry a delivery; or fly far and fast.
The first aircraft would probably deliver mail between cities, and there would be no pressure to make them fly faster, lift more payload or turn harder.

The military would pick up the potential of aircraft anyway, but what was developed in the 4 years of WW I would probably take a good 15-20 during peace time.

As for tanks- Without WW I in 1914-1918 they'd most likely have to wait to be invented all the way to WW II (maybe not counting some prototypes; look at USA's interwar tank development program).

Now since Stalin gained power independently from all these events; WW I would have begun in the early 1940's when the Soviets invade Germany (Poland would still not exist because WW I was the reason it regained independence in 1918).

V0ILA #16 Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:46 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 5209 battles
it would have happened at some point (you cant have so many large egos packed into a small space with out things kicking off). in some ways they (the ww's) were kind of necessary, if only to show humanity how pointless and destructive large scale war is. since it did pretty much end imperialism/colonialism (instead we get rampant capitalism wooo!..) which is a good thing.