Marks of Excellence - The Experiment - How does it work ?

Mark of Excellence Science

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

Zilgan #1 Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:35 PM

Private

• Player
  • 22776 battles
  • [T-G-K] T-G-K

Hello Guys,

Since the STB-1 is on the ToTT Special I started grinding my STA-1. I knew you have to drive a tank quite often to get your Marks of Excellence on it, so i took while grinding occasionally a Glimpse on my Progress towards them. At Some Point (Game #63) I got curios what it takes into account and how the whole thing works.

Before they were released there was Info about it on FTR which described it like: Average Damage over your last x Games + Scouts will get their Assist Dmg also taken into account.

Futhermore there is this Post from WG ASIA http://worldoftanks....-of-excellence/ which says Average Damage + Assist Dmg will be taken into account (for all Tanks?)

Now if you go ingame it tells you Average Damage Ratio. While Damage Ratio does mean (Damage dealt) / (Damage taken), doesn't it?

That Really Rustled my Jimmies and confused me even more :smile:

So I went on an epic Mission for Science to find the Answer to my Questions. (Thats gonna be quite long, so if you want only the Answer scroll down to Conclusion)

I created an Excel Table to collect all my Battleresults and Stats after that Game in it.

After every Match I wrote down:

• How much Damage I did
  • How much Assist Damage I did
  • How much Health i got left ---> Damage taken
  • My total (all Games on the STA-1) Damage Ratio ( = All Damage dealt / All Damage taken) from my Service Record (maybe its XVM which shows my that Data)
  • My Progress towards the MoE (I call it Score)

Here are the results:

Discussion:

First take a look at the first 14 Games:

while the Total Damge Ratio (TDR) was fluctuating between 1,19 and 1,18 the Score didn't moved at all.

With Game #9 the TDR jumps up to a new Topvalue of 1,20 and the Score finally goes up by a bit

After that Game the TDR sinks back to 1,19 and the Score is constant again.

With Game #14 the TDR hits new Topvalue of 1,21 and the Score rises.

----> You will only see the best Value you have ever achived. If you suck for a while you'll need big a bunch of good Games to come back where you once have been

that is btw. official, and they will change it in 9.2 according to the Testpatchnotes

Is it the TDR which counts?

Nope! just look at the last ~50 Games

TDR goes higher and higher while the Score doesn't want to rise

Does it take all Games ro just the last x Games into account?

My Experience while playing was, that I sucked quite hard in those Games where the Score started to settle down at 79,23%

My Guess is, that it takes the last x Games into account. That implies, those "sucky Games" were a Burden for the next x Games and I didn't manged to compensate those.

---> Never went over the 79,23%

Is it Average Damage (AD) or Damage Ratio (DR)?

And is it just Damage or also Assist Damage?

My Guess: Its Average Damage and Assist Damage.

but I cant proof my feeling with those Statistics well

That was quite unsatisfying for me and didn't gave me the Answers I wanted.

So i did it again with a diffrent Tank i haven't played in 9.1 yet, and I really like: The StuG III G

Here is the Table (may extend it a little bit in the Future):

Becaus I recorded all Results from Game #1 after 9.1 on, I was able to calculate far more.

I tried some Formulas which may fit the actual one but as you can see none fits 100%.

Found this:

http://ftr.wot-news....07/07/7-7-2014/

"- the marks of excellence exact formula is very complicated and won’t be released"

so my chances were very low :smile:

Getting back to old Questions:

Is it Average Damage (AD) or Damage Ratio (DR)?

compare Match #6 and #17

in botch Matches about the same amount of Damage (~1500) and marginal Assist Damage

in #6 I took 350 Damage (full) and the Score went up by 4,0%     (10,4% ---> 14,4%)

and in #17 i took 139 Damage and the Score went up by 0,56%  (36,79% ---> 37,35%)

If it would be Damage Ratio Match #17 must have had much more Influence on the Score than it does here.

But thats quite vague, because its much easier to climb in score if you just played 6 Games than if you played 17.

And take a look at Game #18 I did 400 Dmg died and Score climbed by >3% WTF??

So I'm going to look at later Games where everything is more dense.

compare Match #45 and #47 :

~same Dmg ~same (low) assist Dmg, just one Match inbetween and Diffrence in Dmg taken is very high (350)

In Match #45 in which I took 0 Damage             the Score went up by 0,86%

in Match #47 in which i took 350 Damage (full) the Score went up by 1,00%

That should proof my Point, that it doesn't take your Damageratio into account (which is nice)

And is it just Damage or also Assist Damage?

Easy. Answer is: Both of 'em

Match #5 and #27 proof that.

Match #5 0 Dmg  a little bit of Assist Dmg ---> Score rises a bit

Match #27 800 Dmg and a metric crap-ton of Assist Dmg ---> Score rises Alot

Conclusion:

Block Quote

"- the marks of excellence exact formula is very complicated and won’t be released"

• Damage Ratio does NOT infulence that formula (not 100% prooven, but kinda enough)
  • Damage AND Assist Damage DO  influence that formula (no matter which class)
  • I think (really not shure about it) it takes only your last 20-100 Games into account and not all
  • It shows only the best Score you have ever achieved as Progress   (will be fixed in 9.2)

-----> Example: You play 20 Games and get 45% Progress

then you start an AFK bot Programm over night for lets say 100 Battles.

Next Morning it will still show you 45% (or maybe 45,5% whatever)

If you play now 10 Games in which you play like a Rockstar all Mastery-

badges and >2k Base XP you will still have your 45% because your Bot

fucked your Stats (like Avg. Damage) so hard that you need Alot Games

to recover from it and come back to the point where you have been before

• Substitude for XVM?                         if you see somebody with 1 MoE he wont be a Tomato

if you see somebody with 2 MoE he will be a good Player

if you see somebody with 3 MoE he will be an awesome Player who can handle his Tank very well

But: there are awesome Players out there which have no MoE because they dont mind driving one single Tank over and over again

---> Nah.

• My results: (1900WN8)              STA-1 Tier 8 Medium      50 Games for 1st        Never reached 2nd

StuG III G Tier5  TD         40 Games for 1st        75 Games for 2nd                 Hopefully 3rd with ~100 Games (I'm confident)

PS: tried to upload the Table, but it says, I am not permitted to do so. Do I have to ask for Permission or what?

Edited by Zilgan, 11 July 2014 - 05:35 PM.

azakow #2 Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:37 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 75905 battles

Use the search function !

Have a read here: https://eu.wargaming.net/support/Knowledgebase/Article/View/528/18

Zilgan #3 Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:50 PM

Private

• Player
  • 22776 battles
  • [T-G-K] T-G-K

View Postazakow, on 11 July 2014 - 06:37 PM, said:

Use the search function !

Have a read here: https://eu.wargaming.net/support/Knowledgebase/Article/View/528/18

Well, when I used the search function I only found Topics discussing whether Damage Ratio or Average Damage or what not. Never saw that Link before.

At least I kinda prooved their point ;D

ClassicFrog #4 Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:53 PM

Major

• Player
  • 44944 battles

There is one flaw with all the maths I believe.

The goal of the marks of excellence is to achieve higher damage (or whatever is being considered in the formula) than a certain percentage of the rest of the playerbase. It is still rather new feature and most of the people still grind towards their, how to put it, "battle count cycle", over witch the next battle would override the oldest one. In other words, their personal score gets better and is not settled yet.

There is no constant to compare own performance then, and it might be possible then to gain different % in two separate battles with exact same performance in each, if they have been played in between expected performance updates, against which your own performance is being calculated.

Still, thanks for all the maths, no life and too much free time! It's always a good read when people start to do some number crunching to better learn how the game works exactly. :)

Dominico #5 Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:18 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6729 battles

Cool post thanks. I agree with you from this post. Looks like it takes assist and damage into count which is perfect and how it should be!  Look forward to getting marks!!

Thanks.

Valvalecia #6 Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11685 battles
I think the only problem is that it can be interpreted either as average damage + ratio or as average + damage ratio.They should just remove that ratio part as it only confuses people.

PrinzPilsje #7 Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:37 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 67236 battles

View PostZilgan, on 11 July 2014 - 06:35 PM, said:

• I think (really not shure about it) it takes only your last 20-100 Games into account and not all

I made two samples of 100 games.on Tiger H which show it will probably all games since 9.1

1st sample 1.95k dmg >>> peak: 91,27%

ca. 150 games with 1.7k  to improve dmg ratio >>> peak: 91,27%

2nd sample 2.13k dmg (including 40 games with 2.3k) >>> peak: 91,27%

mad0mat #8 Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:27 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 14544 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
One thing is clear - those are not worth all the fuss. When one have almost all lines unlocked and tanks that he was driving in past for many battles, he will not simply re-buy them only to get three stars/stripes/whatever. Best example is my mate who is grinding his E-75. Same number of battles as mine elite, almost identical damage done/assisted. He have third level I have none only because I am not grinding this tank any more ( only 20 battles after 9.1). Hell I have 704 with average of 2,5k damage per battle almost in elite and WG wants me to drive this thing more than I need only to get it? Yeah forget about it.

gpalsson #9 Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:06 AM

General

• Player
  • 22134 battles

View PostZilgan, on 11 July 2014 - 05:35 PM, said:

Found this:

"- the marks of excellence exact formula is very complicated broken and won’t be released"

so my chances were very low :smile:

Good and interesting post.

Fixed a small error posted on the quote from FTR.

Also tagged with Mark of Excellence, Science

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users