camping mentality

woods cities and town

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
69 replies to this topic

warmagnet123 #1 Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:40 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5671 battles

Why is it People see a map with a town ,city or woods on it and immediately  decide  to go camp there for nearly the entire game or till they get killed which is mainly what happens.

From tiers 1 to higher idiots just go and sit in a town which is open to flank attacks from all sides and with out a care in the world just sit and hope the enemy will just drive straight down the barrels of theirs guns.

Where the hell do they learn this?, yes I admit tier 1 players new to the game will try and survive as long as they can ,but why in the hell after playing a map so many times and dying doing the same thing why do people carry on .

Is it a lack of knowledge thing about playing the maps to win?, Lack of confidence in their performance?.

I don't have a clue ,what I do know is with over half the team sitting picking their noses doing bugger all in a game ruins it for all in turn ,except that is the opposing team who just flank round and get a free shot at everyone .

There must be someway to educate people in game to stop this. The only ones who should be camping is arty or tank destroyers and possibly slow unmanoeuvrable tanks . 

Malinovka ,Himmelsdorf ,sand river etc. and more camp and die game in game out with only a few trying to win the game while the rest stay camping.

On no occasion have I seen People leave it to tds and arty and try and outflank the opposition if it do's happen it's rare  

Edited by noobmagnet123, 20 July 2014 - 06:46 PM.

Sapaki #2 Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:13 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 9332 battles
  • [SGTA] SGTA

I think the answer to your question lies within your nick...

Oh and we are trying to educate as many ppl as we can. Can't cater for them all though...

Edited by Sapaki, 20 July 2014 - 07:14 PM.

warmagnet123 #3 Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5671 battles

yes maybe you're right would help if this game had a decent training mode instead of just how to move and shoot the tank

Lord_Percy_Percy #4 Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:34 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14534 battles

Its brainless. Time and time again, its shown in both this game and in real life, that mass attack with combined fire power wins. Lemming trains, although derided, are usually very successful. There several maps wher if everyone juts drove forward together, you could  rofl stomp your way to the enemy cap in  less than a minute.

The classic, g'teed way is to have a column, say two heavies, two medium s and a TD. This type of formation can be very successful. Provided the dickheads in the team realise it.

I frequently die alone ,because  i push forward, and no one follows, and sometimes  im lucky, and meet only single enemies and run up a good score, or i bump into an an enemy front of multiple tanks and die quickly. But at least I had the balls to attack, unlike some players. Ive posted on this before,. Its only a game, its just pixels, what does it matter if you die? Mass attack wins, camping doesnt.

Lord_Percy_Percy #5 Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:35 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14534 battles

View Postnoobmagnet123, on 20 July 2014 - 08:25 PM, said:

yes maybe you're right would help if this game had a decent training mode instead of just how to move and shoot the tank

It wants a battle mode where the game lasts 15 mins, u dont take damage, shells are free, but you dont get experience or credits

SufficientlyDamp4Rooting #6 Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:40 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 3228 battles
Maybe it is easy not to think, it seems like it

LUNSSI #7 Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:42 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 14740 battles

View PostLord_Percy_Percy, on 20 July 2014 - 07:35 PM, said:

It wants a battle mode where the game lasts 15 mins, u dont take damage, shells are free, but you dont get experience or credits

No it does not! we do not! You maybe... amongst other things..

cellaman7 #8 Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:42 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34760 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

To be honest, it took me quite a lot (3k to even 6k) of games before I realised one fundamental part of the game which was....

"Play the game to your tanks role"

Sitting at the back sniping in my KV1-S seemed ok at the time being top tier. Now I know different.

Sniping was the main reason I started this game. To snipe means to camp. After many battles I now try to get stuck in and brawl because I have a better idea about the game mechanics.

But I must admit, when i'm not quite "on the ball", sitting behind a bush in a TD or arty works well.

Trados #9 Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:49 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9840 battles
  • [PRAVD] PRAVD
@L_P_P; lol i am just a noob but imo going lemmingtrain in RL into enemy territory is a very bad idea sure the idea you said may work (sometimes) when used such as panzerkeil against pakfront defense but even that one is not purely lemmingtrain.... in short: if all your troops are together in 1 place its easy to be flanked/surrounded which is bad especially if initial push is not enough to break defense <- just my opinion its not like i am some military theorist or anything

M1tchy #10 Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:50 PM

Major

• Player
  • 37618 battles

They all died, those heroic hill campers. One by one they were  picked off as they sat on the hill and allowed a scout to spot them and arty/td's to pick them off.

Me, I went left and then my brave heroic team mates who came with me ran away leaving me on my own in my IS6 to kill at least one enemy player.

There are bad players, and there are absolute moronic players, and cowardly players.  I think my team was comprised of all three.

ps: I don't consider myself to be either of the latter 2.  I am not offended by being called a bad player except by those stats spouters who play 70% of their games in clans or platoons

"/>

Edited by M1tchy, 20 July 2014 - 10:42 PM.

Scuka #11 Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:55 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 20370 battles

To me, the bigger question is: how can camping like that be fun? What's fun in sitting in one bush the whole game and shooting the enemy 2-3 times at the most, and playing like that for thousands of games.

What's fun about not moving and just waiting 5 minutes for something to happen?

Ulv_Jaeger #12 Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 12872 battles
From the hill any normal sighted person would be to pick out a rabbit in the cap circle. Having to advance blind in this game causes reactions like above. 

Ulv_Jaeger #13 Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:03 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 12872 battles

View PostScuka, on 20 July 2014 - 07:55 PM, said:

To me, the bigger question is: how can camping like that be fun? What's fun in sitting in one bush the whole game and shooting the enemy 2-3 times at the most, and playing like that for thousands of games.

I'm not sure what fun has to do with it? The realities of mobile warfare are precisely about manoeuvres to gain advantageous positions. The trouble here is that we have such small maps that manoeuvre is significantly restricted, and further hampered by artificial inequalities in the ability to spot your targets due to non environmental, but artificially enforced spotting mechanics.

The objective is winning, not winning a certain way?

M1tchy #14 Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:03 PM

Major

• Player
  • 37618 battles

View PostScuka, on 20 July 2014 - 07:55 PM, said:

One time I did that on  Prokhorovka, and it was very successful.  Believe it or not  I was in my T54 which I usually play aggressively, more like a scout.  I just went to a bush about C3 or 4, sat in it with a few td's somewhere behind me. As the enemy came forward, the td's picked them off as I spotted them. After a few minutes of sitting there, we had killed enough to make an attack on their arty..

Camping can work well, but can only be justified if the map is good for it, or you have a sensible team who know what to do.

Camping behind arty is just pathetic. I was  once out in front in my FV304 ffs, on  Murovanka.. Sensible me (for once), decided to hide behind the biggest friendly I could find. We lost.

Edited by M1tchy, 20 July 2014 - 08:04 PM.

Scuka #15 Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:09 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 20370 battles

View PostUlv_Jaeger, on 20 July 2014 - 09:03 PM, said:

I'm not sure what fun has to do with it?

Fun? In a video game? My bad, I shouldn't have mentioned it. Fun has nothing to do with video games.

warmagnet123 #16 Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:10 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5671 battles

As I see it say on  Karelia and mines both  have hills the ones or so people think who control and hold the hill can stop enemy advancing, but if the hill is outflanked it becomes a trap from all sides. With mines the island is just as important as the hill that's is a quick way to outflank the hill .

But most players don't realise that they all attack up the hill and leave both flanks wide open .

Same with Himmelsdorf the town is a campers delight but it's also a death trap from all sides the rails on the other hand gives easy access to all parts of the town from top to bottom and the hill is ok for scouts

with tds at the bottom to kill any coming down

PartyTanker #17 Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:15 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 37332 battles
  • [PARTY] PARTY

If you play passively, you only have about 50% of winning. The problem is that passive players sometimes can get high dmg results, just by picking up the damage.

Too many passive players are all too happy with their high dmg scores while they don't contribute anything to the win.

Scuka #18 Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:20 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 20370 battles

View PostPartyTanker, on 20 July 2014 - 09:15 PM, said:

Too many passive players are all too happy with their high dmg scores while they don't contribute anything to the win.

Too many players are too hapy with ANY score. I was watching a youtube video of 2 kids (12-13 YO) playing tier 5 tanks. Each of them did 2-3 penetrating shots before getting killed after ~2 minutes. At the end of the match their conclusion was "we played well".

StClement #19 Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16939 battles

There's another kind of 'camping mentality'.

That's the one that assumes that anyone not yoloing into close contact is 'camping' and therefore a n00b, bob, bot, or worse.

It's usually accompanied by the assumption that tank 'X' MUST be played exactly the same way as every other tank in it's entire class.

The attitude seems unable to make any kind of distinction between lack of movement and the need for movement, or appreciate that sniping and overwatch are vital to success in any shooter, this one more than most.

It usually involves attributing blame for the team's lack of success on the 'campers', absolving them of any responsibility for their own early demise.

Unfortunately, persons with this mentality cannot or will not see the connection between their attitude and the quality of their games.

There are times when movement is required and when attack is the best policy, there are times when holding a strong position offers more advantages than tearing off in the general direction of the opposing team. Instead of raging about 'campers', persons with this attitude would be better off considering what advantage the alleged 'camper' draws from being where they are. If they were to record games and watch the replay, they might be surprised to see how often the 'campers' move up to a better position as the game progresses, reacting to the situation rather than slavishly following the plan they imagine has to be followed every time to win on that particular map.

If you are one of these persons, then perhaps you should consider why 'Lemming' has such negative connotations... :blinky:

Ulv_Jaeger #20 Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 12872 battles

View PostScuka, on 20 July 2014 - 08:09 PM, said:

Fun? In a video game? My bad, I shouldn't have mentioned it. Fun has nothing to do with video games.

Put more simply, what is the deffinition of fun? It's totally subjective... Many people enjoy chess, yet many find it boring? Some need to jump off a cliff for a rush that others can get from smelling a rose.

I'm not a massive chess fan but I do preffer straticic play to whizz bang arcade action. I'd take a mass long range fire fight over close combat action anyday. We are all different, and none has a claim to what's right or wrong, except as a Tank warefare game, long range combat between 500-2000 metres should be the aim, otherwise the tanks are just false avatars to sell a so-so video shooter to an otherwise uninterested audience.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users