https://www.youtube....h?v=BSUlJSSguhU

mightve pasted it before, sorry

AnuSuaraj #42 Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:41 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 27945 battles
  • [-DFA-] -DFA-

View PostStoke_Me_A_Clipper, on 22 July 2014 - 11:57 PM, said:

Thank you for your comments and for those that have so far provided data. In answer to _Glados and anyone else regarding IQ as a measure. I am well aware that IQ is not a definative representation of how smart or intelligent a person is. What an in depth proper IQ test will show is a person ability to learn. Not how smart they are or how clever or how ''brainy'' There are many aspects of a persons intelligence that IQ does not cover however for the purposes of this data collection we are looking at IQ as a measure of cognitive ability.

To clarify cognitive ability it means a persons ability for.

• Awareness
  • Perception
  • Reasoning
  • Judgment

You are also right that a larger data set is needed this is why I am gathering it from 4 online communities WOT being one of those 4.

Please continue to post your data and I thank you for your participation and remember to take an average from 3 or 4 tests from seperate sites if you do not have a proper IQ test score!

People often confuse being intelligent with being smart.

Intelligence is merely a talent. And just because one has slightly more talent for singing or dancing (for example), doesn't mean that one will naturally become a good dancer/singer one day. Talents give people a slight edge but they can also be squandered if the person is stupid or unambitious. And that is why a talent like intelligence cannot be used as a reference for anything, MMO games included.

Now, some of you might be confused at this point. How can an intelligent person be stupid? Quite easily actually, since, like I said before, being intelligent and being smart are two very different things.

Being smart is all about making the right call at exactly the right time, about seeing around corners, about being able to predict your mistakes before they happen, and most importanly, about recognizing your shortcomings and acting accordingly. Unlike intelligence, smart is an ability. You either have it or you don't. You are either smart or you're not. There's no middle ground, and no leveling whatsoever.

Intelligence, being a talent, is something that all people have in varying amounts.

So how can an intelligent person not be smart as well?

My example is Robert Oppenheimer - an extremely intelligent physicist, with an astounding degree of education... And what did he do with all that talent in form of intelligence? He helped build the atomic bomb which has killed thousands and still is, to this day, the biggest threat to humanity. Mr. Oppenheimer was obviously intelligent, yet incredibly stupid at the same time.

My point is this. People who are good at tanks are good because they are smart and not because they are intelligent.

Also, I would strongly disagree that intelligence relates to cognitive ability the way you have suggested. There are studies to this effect that show that most IQ tests are merely a meager indication of mathematical intelligence and three-dimensional orientation. And obviously reasoning and judgement fall under the "smart" category, and not under intelligence.

There is hardly a conclusive way to measure one's intelligence, and there is certainly no way to ascertain whether a person is smart or not without doing a detailed analysis of that individual's entire life.

If however, the OP is so annoyed by tomatoes in this game that he would like to have a definitive tool with which he could label those people unintelligent. Well, that is just uneccessary. Those tomato accounts are mostly little kids and old people. And those people are obviously not unintelligent as they are impaired in the motor skills department.

It's just that simple.

Edited by AnuSuaraj, 24 July 2014 - 06:50 PM.

2Tee2 #43 Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 26153 battles

View PostAnuSuaraj, on 24 July 2014 - 07:41 PM, said:

most IQ test are merely a meager indication of mathematical intelligence and three-dimensional orientation.

they wish they were... they mostly just show how did one "solved" their particular set of "problems" in reletion to some particular group= RNG :D pseudoRNG :D

as for Oppenheimer, I personally would choose Feynmann in that particular example

PS

oh, and by sets I do not connote anything set theory related :D 

Edited by 2Tee2, 24 July 2014 - 06:57 PM.

2Tee2 #44 Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:20 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 26153 battles
or, what about Godel, how do we measure his intelligence? an absolute cuckoo, still the greatest logician

LUNSSI #45 Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:07 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 14740 battles

View PostAnuSuaraj, on 24 July 2014 - 06:41 PM, said:

People often confuse being intelligent with being smart.

Intelligence is merely a talent. And just because one has slightly more talent for singing or dancing (for example), doesn't mean that one will naturally become a good dancer/singer one day. Talents give people a slight edge but they can also be squandered if the person is stupid or unambitious. And that is why a talent like intelligence cannot be used as a reference for anything, MMO games included.

Now, some of you might be confused at this point. How can an intelligent person be stupid? Quite easily actually, since, like I said before, being intelligent and being smart are two very different things.

Being smart is all about making the right call at exactly the right time, about seeing around corners, about being able to predict your mistakes before they happen, and most importanly, about recognizing your shortcomings and acting accordingly. Unlike intelligence, smart is an ability. You either have it or you don't. You are either smart or you're not. There's no middle ground, and no leveling whatsoever.

Intelligence, being a talent, is something that all people have in varying amounts.

So how can an intelligent person not be smart as well?

My example is Robert Oppenheimer - an extremely intelligent physicist, with an astounding degree of education... And what did he do with all that talent in form of intelligence? He helped build the atomic bomb which has killed thousands and still is, to this day, the biggest threat to humanity. Mr. Oppenheimer was obviously intelligent, yet incredibly stupid at the same time.

My point is this. People who are good at tanks are good because they are smart and not because they are intelligent.

Also, I would strongly disagree that intelligence relates to cognitive ability the way you have suggested. There are studies to this effect that show that most IQ tests are merely a meager indication of mathematical intelligence and three-dimensional orientation. And obviously reasoning and judgement fall under the "smart" category, and not under intelligence.

There is hardly a conclusive way to measure one's intelligence, and there is certainly no way to ascertain whether a person is smart or not without doing a detailed analysis of that individual's entire life.

If however, the OP is so annoyed by tomatoes in this game that he would like to have a definitive tool with which he could label those people unintelligent. Well, that is just uneccessary. Those tomato accounts are mostly little kids and old people. And those people are obviously not unintelligent as they are impaired in the motor skills department.

It's just that simple.

Do you have any reasonably conclusive evidence to prove this theory?

I resent that presumption. It isnt smart.

2Tee2 #46 Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:26 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 26153 battles

View PostStoke_Me_A_Clipper, on 24 July 2014 - 11:07 PM, said:

Do you have any reasonably conclusive evidence to prove this theory?

I resent that presumption. It isnt smart.

and the theory being? wouldnt you agree that only a weak minded, uncertain individual would ever mention some [edited] iq tests? :coin:

Edited by Petruzzi, 25 July 2014 - 01:23 PM.

John_Preston #47 Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:04 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 17436 battles

That's a quite bad example imho.

There wa sa documentary called "Light bulb conspiracy"(i don't care if it's true or not, it's besides the point). It's basically about planned obsolescence.

There was a part where they asked "why would an engineer desing something crap?". "because it was a challenge"

It's much harder to make something that will blow up after 1000 hours of use than something that could work forever.

Intelligent people need challenge. They can and do create new things that others couldn't.

About the people who were working on the atomic bomb - you really think that they were some kind o crazy/evil people who just wanted to kill others?

It was something new, an unexplored territory, a challenge.

Also, I would strongly disagree that intelligence relates to cognitive ability the way you have suggested. There are studies to this effect that show that most IQ tests are merely a meager indication of mathematical intelligence and three-dimensional orientation.

I think it's more like a problem solving capability.

Dayum...i wish my engrish was better, i can't argue properly. :(

Edited by John_Preston, 24 July 2014 - 11:04 PM.

Major_cjs #48 Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:32 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 3836 battles

View PostAnuSuaraj, on 24 July 2014 - 06:41 PM, said:

"A lot more i cut out ...//Cjs"

It's just that simple.

My personal thoughts about this; I think IQ is a valid resource field when it come to games played compared to stats achieved of the reason being that people with a above avg IQ often picks up things faster "more curious"  and therefore is more likely to learn the game faster. After X amount of games its probably more even tho between persons having a +- 20-40 IQ points because most people will pick up the game after 10-20k games. The problem with this is that its hard to see who is on a reroll and who is on his first account "if the accounts first 2-5 hundreds games is well above avg then its most likely a reroll but you never really know for sure"

Either way, if OP is doing a serious graph with the data he is collecting then i would be interested to see the result of it.

View PostJohn_Preston, on 24 July 2014 - 11:04 PM, said:

There was a documentary called "Light bulb conspiracy"

The first ever light bulb is still glowing strong and that was made 1901... so yea its more than likely that they made a agreement between the companies to sell more units. btw its the same with the spark plug.

2Tee2 #49 Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:07 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 26153 battles

View PostMajor_cjs, on 25 July 2014 - 12:32 AM, said:

The first ever light bulb is still glowing strong and that was made 1901... so yea its more than likely that they made a agreement between the companies to sell more units. btw its the same with the spark plug.

just have a look at the steel rods in the early 20th century reinforced concrete. im to lazy to search atm and dont actually have teh books around but if you take my word, they are HUGE and way TOO MANY way too often ;)

LiriNoireM3lancolie #50 Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:16 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 17371 battles

IQ 142 

Recents below :P

Edited by Emily_E75, 25 July 2014 - 01:19 AM.

2Tee2 #51 Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:19 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 26153 battles

View PostEmily_E75, on 25 July 2014 - 02:16 AM, said:

IQ 142

gosh, a smart gal again ...finally. guess im in love and my mourning over Gemma is over=

LiriNoireM3lancolie #52 Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:21 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 17371 battles

View Post2Tee2, on 25 July 2014 - 01:19 AM, said:

gosh, a smart gal again ...finally. guess im in love and my mourning over Gemma is ty over=

ty lol , Who's Gemma ? :tongue:

Woody1999 #53 Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:24 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 17117 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostEmily_E75, on 25 July 2014 - 01:21 AM, said:

She used to chat in the Forum Bar with us. She was hilarious, never stopped talking, but we liked her because of that. Then suddenly, she disappeared, and hasn't posted since.

By the way, is anyone else surprised that so far the most intelligent person here is a random 14 year old kid from Brummieland?

Woody

2Tee2 #54 Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:24 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 26153 battles

View PostEmily_E75, on 25 July 2014 - 02:21 AM, said:

uh, i dont remember

LiriNoireM3lancolie #55 Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:26 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 17371 battles

View PostWoody1999, on 25 July 2014 - 01:24 AM, said:

She used to chat in the Forum Bar with us. She was hilarious, never stopped talking, but we liked her because of that. Then suddenly, she disappeared, and hasn't posted since.

By the way, is anyone else surprised that so far the most intelligent person here is a random 14 year old kid from Brummieland?

Woody

Seriously ? lol , Whats ur IQ ? :amazed:

2Tee2 #56 Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:28 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 26153 battles

View PostWoody1999, on 25 July 2014 - 02:24 AM, said:

well, you have to be intelligent to notice intelligence, dont you? kinda explains my issues also :D

Woody1999 #57 Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:37 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 17117 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostEmily_E75, on 25 July 2014 - 01:26 AM, said:

Seriously ? lol , Whats ur IQ ? :amazed:

143 :tongue:

LiriNoireM3lancolie #58 Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:38 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 17371 battles

View PostWoody1999, on 25 July 2014 - 01:37 AM, said:

143 :tongue:

By one ... Damn :D

Woody1999 #59 Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:40 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 17117 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostEmily_E75, on 25 July 2014 - 01:38 AM, said:

By one ... Damn :D

:tongue::hiding::harp:

Woody1999 #60 Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:43 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 17117 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

By experience of chatting with Gemma for a few months, I now know to go and sit in a corner for a few hours, trying to work out what I did wrong. :bajan:

Woody 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users