Lightning just broke my PC yesterday

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

Judqment8 #1 Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:54 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 21675 battles

So nowadays the lightning is just so unpredictable. I was playing Trine 1 with my friend now that it has co-op and suddenly like "lightning from clear sky" just hit the ground near my house. It was an instant "boof" and my whole room went out of electricity. After changing the fuse I tried to reboot my computer, but it wouldn't turn back on. Took it immediately to the store where I bought it since I have this insurance that covers pretty much everything for 4 years. Now it's in repairs and I just have to wait to see if they can fix it or just dump me with a new one.

At least I don't have to pay a penny, but I still worry about my files. I don't want to lose everything that I have on. That thing is my entire life. The wait is so gonna kill me...

So yeah now I'm stuck with this old laptop of mine. I won't play WoT till I get my old/new PC back. I hope that the 9.2 patch won't come anytime so soon otherwise I will be even more pissed that I can't play my buffed Leopard PTA.

What is the funny here is that this laptop has "interesting" replays from year 2012 with patch 0.7.5 without physics and I'm using M5 Stuart. >_> I really should upload some of these to Youtube, they are just hilarious.

Woody1999 #2 Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:00 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 14856 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

Unlucky mate. Hopefully they can rescue a backup from your PC and install it onto the new one, if that's the case.

I doubt they'll manage to revive a PC that just got struck by lightning, sorry. When did you do your last backup?

Woody

Pater_Leppich #3 Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:19 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 53928 battles
  • [_LGS_] _LGS_
Ouch. I have no idea how I would react, I've spent MUCH on mine. Good luck with your files.

John_Preston #4 Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:28 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 17436 battles
If that makes you feel better, i gave you a +1 for Trine.

GiraffeInATopHat #5 Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:14 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 4600 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Unlucky you. Hope you can get some of your files back.

Makes me feel lucky that nothing was damaged when my house took a direct hit from lightning.

Judqment8 #6 Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:16 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 21675 battles

I do unplug my PC if a thunderstorm comes, but this one was just messed up in so many ways. No warning, no dark clouds, no rain... The weather is just so darn messed up and unpredictable here in Finland nowadays.

If the worst happens and I won't get my files back I think I will miss my Borderlands 2 save files the most. Not to mention the Diablo II saves ;_; I have BL2 saves backed up from January and I've played it so much after that. I'm not sure if steam uploads the save files into the cloud though. Oh, and STALKER saves... Those I will miss too, oh wait a minute I have those backed up from June so I won't lose much progress : D yay. Then there were some pictures that I don't have backed up even though that they are very important to me (not pron you perverts).

I can now only hope~ At least most of the games are online based which is a great thing. Imagining that I would lose my WoT tanks and all the stats would break my heart for good xD

Edited by Judqment8, 26 July 2014 - 09:16 AM.

soolerman #7 Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24366 battles

Next time fit a surge controller and then you will only blow £15 worth of stuff not your PC. I assume you are not in the UK as this can't happen hear with the way the power is wired up. Unless your house was wired before the 80s that is and if it was its long over dew a rewire.

I remember being in Brussels in the late 70s. I was a little kid at the time and the flat we lived in was next to an office block. One night we had a storm and could see the office block being hit time and time again by lightning. I was so fun seeing the florescent lights in the rooms flash on and off. Next morning the place was closed as all the phones had blown up as had almost all the typewriters. My father was working on and date base for the stock exchange and the mainframe was off line for nearly the entire day as it shut down when the power grid surged. I was given a hard disk that had been written off when the reader head had crashed into it during the shut down. So for me the storm was all pluses. A free light show followed by my dad home for the day and a cool gift from the maintenance guys at his work.  

MeetriX #8 Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:10 PM

Major

• Player
  • 20435 battles
Very small chance that lightning will break a hdd. Motherboard and/or psu are the most common to broke.

Judqment8 #9 Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:55 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 21675 battles

View PostMeetriX, on 26 July 2014 - 05:10 PM, said:

Very small chance that lightning will break a hdd. Motherboard and/or psu are the most common to broke.

That makes me feel a little bit better. I hope they just repair my old one since I'm really not interested in installing everything again... That will take days.

ajappat #10 Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:08 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 26708 battles
  • [PSOP] PSOP

I (or my family rather) have lost 3 computers to thunder. (And microwave oven, water pump, TV, toaster, several electric radiators and likely something I don't remember now). Used to live in place where thunder always crept close from behind forrested hill, without any warning and with no chance to unplug anything before it was too late.

I really recommend getting surge protection. http://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/product/7806/cmkjb/APC-Back-UPS-ES-700VA-UPS This thing has also possibly saved my computer quite a few times and also protects it from power cuts.

Happy to live in city nowdays, I must admit.

TaHko3d #11 Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:57 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22751 battles
if it would make you feel better, the patch will come out in a couple of days:trollface: (RU gets patched today)

Valvalecia #12 Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11685 battles
You live in east? The weather here has been complete garbage for past week. I was scared shitless when my computer went apeshit during one of those powerouts but luckily nothing major happened. gl with your computer, tho they'll probably just send you a new copy at least from my own experience.

tigerstreak #13 Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:37 AM

Colonel

• Beta Tester
  • 23531 battles
  • [BL33T] BL33T

View PostJudqment8, on 26 July 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

So nowadays the lightning is just so unpredictable. I was playing Trine 1 with my friend now that it has co-op and suddenly like "lightning from clear sky" just hit the ground near my house. It was an instant "boof" and my whole room went out of electricity. After changing the fuse I tried to reboot my computer, but it wouldn't turn back on. Took it immediately to the store where I bought it since I have this insurance that covers pretty much everything for 4 years. Now it's in repairs and I just have to wait to see if they can fix it or just dump me with a new one.

At least I don't have to pay a penny, but I still worry about my files. I don't want to lose everything that I have on. That thing is my entire life. The wait is so gonna kill me...

So yeah now I'm stuck with this old laptop of mine. I won't play WoT till I get my old/new PC back. I hope that the 9.2 patch won't come anytime so soon otherwise I will be even more pissed that I can't play my buffed Leopard PTA.

What is the funny here is that this laptop has "interesting" replays from year 2012 with patch 0.7.5 without physics and I'm using M5 Stuart. >_> I really should upload some of these to Youtube, they are just hilarious.

hope your hd info is saved, even if other components need replacing :(

i use an anti surge power lead, but i bet its limit isnt a lightning strike

Edited by tigerstreak, 31 July 2014 - 01:38 AM.

bazdaris #14 Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:35 AM

Major

• Player
  • 34694 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Propably is just the PSU (Power Supply Unit) . It is the first thing that takes the hit so it guards your motherboard . And maybe only the fuse thats in PSU is burned,  so the PSU cuts instantly the power to all the parts of your PC. I think your data are safe. Imho

Laponac #15 Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:16 AM

Lieutenant

• Community Contributor
  • 36451 battles

Last night also lighting stoke hit like 50 meters from my apartment. Electricity went out right out. So did my PC, but when power was back up, i turned it on without problem. 

But 2 years ago same thing happened and also i my PC got burned - actually only power supply, if that is your case too you dont have too worry about losing all the files (unless people at your store delete them).

Yag0 #16 Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:26 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 3168 battles

Don't think there is anything that can stop a lightning strike.

Online ups can offer some protection, but the transient can come in the network adaptor too!

Judqment8 #17 Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:09 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 21675 battles

View Postajappat, on 27 July 2014 - 12:08 PM, said:

I (or my family rather) have lost 3 computers to thunder. (And microwave oven, water pump, TV, toaster, several electric radiators and likely something I don't remember now). Used to live in place where thunder always crept close from behind forrested hill, without any warning and with no chance to unplug anything before it was too late.

I really recommend getting surge protection. http://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/product/7806/cmkjb/APC-Back-UPS-ES-700VA-UPS This thing has also possibly saved my computer quite a few times and also protects it from power cuts.

Happy to live in city nowdays, I must admit.

Thanks a lot fellow Finlander : D I think I will buy one of those just in case. Though I don't really need 8 sockets. I will see the alternatives.

In other news the patch is out, but the good news is that my PC is in repair. The bad news is that they say that the repairs take about 2 weeks (I mean WTF 2 weeks FFS). So hopefully I will have my PC back next week WITH all my files. *crosses fingers*

Also cheers~ Me and my friend have had a movie marathon this whole week (which shall continue till my PC is up and running). We watched all Star Wars films and LoTR for the lulz. Next is Hobbit and Matrix trilogy. We also started to replay the AC series again : 3. And we have also made a little progress for the PTA scale model. So all in all it's not that bad.

tigerstreak #18 Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:17 AM

Colonel

• Beta Tester
  • 23531 battles
  • [BL33T] BL33T

i just broke my pc today aswell :(

went to replace a fan thats given up +saw stack loads of dust on cpu cooler

went to remove cpu cooler +the bolts sheared :(

had to take the whole comp apart, retap the mounts threads +find new bolts...

as im here typing, it worked :)

Judqment8 #19 Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:09 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 21675 battles

Aaand I got mine back. It took only a month for the to repair, but AT LEAST I have all my files here : D Now lots of updating and back upping just in case.

The reason why it took so long was that the insurance company had failed to see some email from the repair store. *facepalm*

TrickyP360 #20 Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:44 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4891 battles
  • [INTG] INTG
Time to catch up on tanking!! Updates can wait :teethhappy:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users