ELC AMX - Tank review

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Lil_Nas_X #1 Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:26 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33177 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I decided to give a tank review to one of my favorite tanks which I have since I started playing wot, and still going strong with 500+ games: the ELC AMX. 

I saw lots of people drive this tank not how you should, so I decided to give you a summary how you can play good in this tank.

(note: not that I am the ELC professional but this review is based on how I think the ELC plays very well.)

Let's see what the ELC has got, and take a summary for it's stats.

We'll compare it to other tier 5 light tanks, excluding the Crusader - since it isn't a scout and doesn't get scout matchmaking.

Leaving us with the VK 16.02 Leopard and M24 Chaffee,

STATS:

400 Hit Points - not so great. It's worse than the Leopard (440) and much worse than the Chaffee (580). Although since 9.1 the scout mm doesn't let the ELC get into tier 9 games anymore, it will still see tier 8 games, where we see tanks like the IS-3, and any TD, which have the same alpha damage as the ELC's HP. Heck, even the KV-1S has that value, and 320 alpha guns can take all your health off as well.

Weight of 6,96 t, limit of 8,75, making it one of the lightest tanks in WoT. Be carefull not to get rammed - you'll not survive it.

Engine of 250 HP. Doesn't seem very great, but with it's 7 t weight, it still has a Power/Weight ratio of 35,92, which is shockingly good. 

65 kph - Making it not the fastest tank in the game (Pz. I C, Hellcat or FV304 are faster for instance), but the ELC rockets to that speed and you'll zoom around the battlefield with about 60 kph. 

Traverse of 38 dg/s makes the ELC manouvre pretty well, since the top speed is not as high as the other I just mentioned, which will reach 72-79 kph.

Armor - aha. The biggest weakspot of the ELC. 14/12/10 hull and turret makes the ELC very vulnerable to any kind of gun fired at it. Machine guns, tier for tier, love firing at ELC's, and loading HE ammo also works pretty well.

Turret turns at 44 dg/s, but there's a catch, the turret only turns very nearly to each side. The ELC's gun firing arc is not very good, but having a fast moving turret is always nice.

360 m View range - not very good. It's OK for tier 5 tanks but for light tanks it's a bit underwelming. Though you'll find yourself having one of the highest, since the ELC finds itself commonly in tier 6-7 games.

360 m Signal range - Very bad. This tank has one of the worst scout radio's in the game, making scouting a bit hard. We'll talk about tactics soon.

Gun depression is awful and the gun elevation is awful aswell. The ELC is not a great ridgeline poking tank, since you have to expose your whole tank to fire at the enemies.

One great advantage though is that it has a tiny silhouette - and it gets the light tank moving camo bonus. 

Gun stats:

The ELC gets 3 guns. It has 1 gun that really really suits it. The two stock guns are the ones suffering - the 75 mm SA32 and 75 mm SA44. These two guns have the same soft stats, with the SA32 being even worse in accuracy and penetration. The SA44 is also available on the BDR G1 B, so that could make the grind easier when having ground out that line.

The 90 mm D. 915 is unique to the ELC and no other tank can use it. This weapon is interesting, because you'd say it's awful because of the 0,38 accuracy and 2,9 second aiming time, and with a Rate of Fire of 5 rpm (12 s reload), you'd not think it's a light tank gun, especially comparing it to it's counterparts.

What the other two don't have, is 170 mm of penetration and 240 alpha damage, which even suits tier 7 tanks. Therefor, when aimed properly, the ELC's gun can be devostating.

PROS AND CONS ACCORDING TO THE STATS

We've established that the ELC is very mobile, and it gets a great gun with great damage and penetration potentials. The tiny silhouette makes the ELC a very hard to hit target at full speed - which you'll reach everytime since it has the best acceleration in the game. 

The cons are it's terrible armor, the limited gun arc, the aiming time, RoF and accuracy, terrible signal range, and the fact it needs to avoid any kinds of ramming because it's very light.

TACTICS

The ELC is a "born-to-be-active-scout". While the Chaffee and Leopard have the view/signal range and maybe even the firepower to passive scout bushes, the ELC simply can't. How I would use it:

a) as a scout.

Wait for the battle to "rise". Maybe get early spots by poking ridgelines as fast as possible, and retalliate ASAP. You can repeat this quite long since you are very hard to hit. When having spotted some guys, relocate to get spots on another location and when you are forgotten on the first flank, return to it. When having spots from off the start of the game, your team could be damaging them earlier, making killing enemies easier. When one flank is pushed, go to that flank and get flanking shots on enemies when possible. 
Although the speed lets it, don't drive foward as fast as possible to find yourself in the enemies flag, because you'll die, and dead scouts are bad scouts and bad scouts are a waste for the team.

b) as a sniper.

This is where I get spoken to a lot. On maps where it's awkward so active scout, and since passive scouting is not the ELC's thing, you can use it as a sniper. The gun might not be accurate but you are so fragile that not getting spotted could be the way to victory - and after all, damage gets more XP and Credits than spotting damage, and the meaty gun stats apply to that. 

EQUIPMENT/CREW SKILLS/CONSUMABLES ETC

On my ELC, currently I have:

-Gun Rammer

-Enhanced Gun Laying Drive

-Enhanced Torsion Bars

Gun Rammer to lower your reload, GLD to lower the aiming time, Torsion bars to save yourself a lot of damage when falling or jumping. Though the Torsion bars could be preferably replaced for Vents, because they always work, Coated Optics, because a view range boost is always nice, or maybe even a spall liner, to avoid being very vulnerable to ramming and HE. 

My Crew has 3 skills, busy with the 4th. The ELC has a 2-man crew, a commander and a driver. The driver only has the driving task, and driving skills, whereas the commander is the commander, loader, gunner and radio-operator in once. Therefor, always have a med-kit, because a dead commander makes your ELC almost unusuable. Large med-kit is not really an option, because when multiple crewmen die (2), the crew's dead and the tank is knocked out.

Crew skills are now:

Commander: Sixth sense | Improved view range (dunno what it's called in english ;]) | Improved signal range | Eagle Eye 56%

Driver: Comfortable drive | Offroad driving | Controlled Ramming | Clutch Braking 56%

Arguably repair or even better, camouflage would be better, this would be my next skill. Still, these perks will help the ELC doing great.

Consumables, just small basic consumables, though Coffee or Gasoline would be nice, since it doesn't catch fire very often. 

Additional, you can apply camouflage, for a very small chance to be seen.

CONCLUSION

Though the ELC AMX doesn't look like a very great tank on paper, when played well and invested well for crew skills and equipment the ELC is one of the most fun tanks to play with in the game. Although you could better get yourself a Chaffee or Leopard for a serious light scout tank, the ELC is still a very interesting light tank and excels in the right hands.

AND THE REST...?

The grind can be very painful. H35, AMX 38, AMX 40, are all three light tanks that sacrifice all their gun power and mobility for armor. Though they are well armored tanks, they can be very painful to drive. 

The next tanks, AMX 12 t, AMX 13 75, AMX 13 90, Lorraine 40 t, and Bat-Chât 25 t, are all very light autoloading scouts. These tanks can be great to play - though I haven't played them good yet, since the AMX 12 t isn't that great IMO.

So let me know what you think about the ELC, and what to improve on my review! I hope you like it, bye!

Edited by Loekie5500, 08 August 2014 - 01:15 PM.

Laatikkomafia #2 Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:33 PM

Major General

• Beta Tester
  • 23265 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
ELC review after playing 1.4k rounds with it:

Best T5 tank. Passive scout/TD/Ambusher

Equipment: Vents, camo net, binocs.

Skills: Camo for both. Sixth sense for the commander.

Edited by Laatikkomafia, 29 July 2014 - 02:23 AM.

Fabunil #3 Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:38 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 32029 battles

IMO a camo net is pretty much useless on the ELC (or on pretty much any tank in the game except maybe for certain turreted tankdestroyers)

The Camo is good enough to stay hidden inside a Bush until you are proxyspotted anyway.

I use Vents, Binos and Optics to maximize my viewrange.

For the Crew 6th Sense and camo are the most important skills for any light tank.

Lil_Nas_X #4 Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:12 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33177 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostFabunil, on 08 August 2014 - 08:38 AM, said:

IMO a camo net is pretty much useless on the ELC (or on pretty much any tank in the game except maybe for certain turreted tankdestroyers)

The Camo is good enough to stay hidden inside a Bush until you are proxyspotted anyway.

I use Vents, Binos and Optics to maximize my viewrange.

For the Crew 6th Sense and camo are the most important skills for any light tank.

Camonet is useless, and I don't really think Bino's are the best option, because they'll only work when stationary. And the key to survive is move when you can, and only stand still if you know there's no danger - the aiming time for a shot requires to stay in 1 position for a while.

I'd say removing the Bino for GLD.

Laatikkomafia #5 Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:36 AM

Major General

• Beta Tester
  • 23265 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostLoekie5500, on 08 August 2014 - 03:12 PM, said:

Camonet is useless, and I don't really think Bino's are the best option, because they'll only work when stationary. And the key to survive is move when you can, and only stand still if you know there's no danger - the aiming time for a shot requires to stay in 1 position for a while.

I'd say removing the Bino for GLD.

Taking binos off the ELC is like playing the IS-7 without WAR or E100 without rammer. Just wrong. 370 base view range is not going to cut it.

Eila_Juutilainen #6 Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:00 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 21464 battles
  • [102ND] 102ND
I run Optics on my ELC. Not as good as Binocs, but at least they don't require me to stand still. And the ELC's best attribute is not it's gun, but having one of the best P/W ratios in the game.

Laatikkomafia #7 Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:13 PM

Major General

• Beta Tester
  • 23265 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I think that the best thing about ELC is the camo value and the size. I mean, it is TINY. (Paradox to write tiny in caps..)

Lil_Nas_X #8 Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:24 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33177 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostLaatikkomafia, on 09 August 2014 - 10:36 AM, said:

Taking binos off the ELC is like playing the IS-7 without WAR or E100 without rammer. Just wrong. 370 base view range is not going to cut it.

The point is, don't waste your time standing still, because the ELC is NOT a passive scout. When active scouting you could easily with those speeds go right into the faces of heavies. You don't need more than 370 m for that.

OVERMUCH #9 Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:05 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 14981 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM
I think camonet or binocs is either way a possibility. Camonet still gives you that bonus when you fire so it is a better ambusher. I use binocs, Gun rammer and Vents. I might change rammer for camonet.

Laatikkomafia #10 Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:57 PM

Major General

• Beta Tester
  • 23265 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostLoekie5500, on 09 August 2014 - 07:24 PM, said:

The point is, don't waste your time standing still, because the ELC is NOT a passive scout. When active scouting you could easily with those speeds go right into the faces of heavies. You don't need more than 370 m for that.

Have you tried playing Malinovka, Murovanka, Prokhorovka, Arctic region, Steppes, (H)Ell Halluf or or Pagorki (Mines) with binoculars and camo net? If not, you have missed a lot of credits and spotting damage :)

I am not close of being unicum, but here are my stats and crew atm. Beware that I moved my old ELC crew to my AMX12t->AMX13t-> after around 300 battles.

(Actually the 4th skill is at 53% atm. Old picture)

My first Kolobanov's medal: http://wotreplays.co...komafia-elc_amx

Enough evidence that this setup isn't that bad? ;)

Edited by Laatikkomafia, 09 August 2014 - 08:30 PM.

Lil_Nas_X #11 Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:04 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33177 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Mmmpf. Sort of mmpf. Yes, camonet and binos can work, but exchanging them for GLD and Optics gives access to a very own playing style as well. 

WolfOfCampscapel #12 Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:02 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 36313 battles
Standing still in an ELC? Heresy! :biggrin:

Fabunil #13 Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:56 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 32029 battles

View PostLaatikkomafia, on 09 August 2014 - 08:57 PM, said:

Have you tried playing Malinovka, Murovanka, Prokhorovka, Arctic region, Steppes, (H)Ell Halluf or or Pagorki (Mines) with binoculars and camo net? If not, you have missed a lot of credits and spotting damage :)

I am not close of being unicum, but here are my stats and crew atm. Beware that I moved my old ELC crew to my AMX12t->AMX13t-> after around 300 battles.

(Actually the 4th skill is at 53% atm. Old picture)

My first Kolobanov's medal: http://wotreplays.co...komafia-elc_amx

Enough evidence that this setup isn't that bad? ;)

The thing is as soon as you fire most of your camo is lost and you dont want to sit around and wait for 6th Sense to go off to see wether or not you have been spottet.

Optics give you more flexibility to play viewrange-game with your blind enemies.

Also I've got 2 Kolobanov's and 2 pool's medals in it as well as an overpowered 6 skills crew.

Edited by Fabunil, 10 August 2014 - 09:50 AM.

Lil_Nas_X #14 Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:19 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33177 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

http://replays.quick...p?id=16444#team

My ace game. Says enough?

storm4710 #15 Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:46 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 19175 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

for a ELC driver with more than 100 battles(because most move on from the elc amx, when they dont play okay with it)

games like this are becoming normal for me when i play my 1,5 skill elc amx
http://wotreplays.co...orm4710-elc_amx

Edited by storm4710, 11 August 2014 - 07:56 PM.

Fabunil #16 Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:27 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 32029 battles

If you want to compare E-Peens:

http://replays.quick...ult.php?id=1624

Edited by Fabunil, 11 August 2014 - 09:28 PM.

storm4710 #17 Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:27 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 19175 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

View PostFabunil, on 11 August 2014 - 10:27 PM, said:

If you want to compare E-Peens:

http://replays.quick...ult.php?id=1624

gj m8

Omnichr0n #18 Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:26 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13550 battles
One of the first scout vehicles I got, and I hated it... now I know it is a good little tank though, seeing it in the hands of someone who know how to use it, so I will probably rebuy this little thing and have some fun runs with it.

Laatikkomafia #19 Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:09 PM

Major General

• Beta Tester
  • 23265 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostLoekie5500, on 11 August 2014 - 08:19 PM, said:

http://replays.quick...p?id=16444#team

My ace game. Says enough?

Says absolutely nothing. I am not the greatest player on Earth, but: http://replays.quick...p?id=36313#team

2DESTROYER5 #20 Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:45 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 720 battles
I love the ELC, I have around 600 battles in it (about 570 on my hold account) and I must say that its a great fun tank that earns some $$ too, and it has that X-factor   T(roll)Factor 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users