Video: Strongholds Guide and Live Stream

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

Community #1 Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:32 PM

Sergeant

• Content Team
  • 0 battles
Find out how to build Strongholds in this video guide and watch a live presentation by Wargaming Europe and Odem Mortis of its key features on 1 August!

Full news text

Gruff_ #2 Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:16 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 16825 battles
  • [FLOG] FLOG

An initial impression:  For players who just partake in a lower stress play when & how you want click and enter random battles this will penalise us for not joining up with an organised clan for the extra bonuses and further the advancement speed of clan members.

By being in a clan it's likely that a player already has an "inherant bonus" ie a better chance of gaining more xp credits knowledge etc over random match player through being with the same guys, voice chat sessions, training rooms.  I think this update can alienate some of your player base, also I can see this being abused by some to gain extra xp advancement.

The biggest issue for me is still idle & bot players in 90% of my games.

Edited by Gruff_, 31 July 2014 - 04:28 PM.

Monster95alpha19 #3 Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:04 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 35389 battles
  • [TKEA] TKEA

View PostGruff_, on 31 July 2014 - 04:16 PM, said:

An initial impression:  For players who just partake in a lower stress play when & how you want click and enter random battles this will penalise us for not joining up with an organised clan for the extra bonuses and further the advancement speed of clan members.

By being in a clan it's likely that a player already has an "inherant bonus" ie a better chance of gaining more xp credits knowledge etc over random match player through being with the same guys, voice chat sessions, training rooms.  I think this update can alienate some of your player base, also I can see this being abused by some to gain extra xp advancement.

penalised?..i don't see any penalty for not joining the stronghold mode ( aka joining a clan first )..i only see Benefits for beeing in one.Till now, the only thing that you could have earned from a clan was the Gold..not much anyway..now with the strongholds, a clan member can earn better..

Short version : You want bonus, join a clan.

beercritch #4 Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:43 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 38065 battles

View PostTitaniu, on 31 July 2014 - 06:04 PM, said:

penalised?..i don't see any penalty for not joining the stronghold mode ( aka joining a clan first )..i only see Benefits for beeing in one.Till now, the only thing that you could have earned from a clan was the Gold..not much anyway..now with the strongholds, a clan member can earn better..

Short version : You want bonus, join a clan.

thats sort of my issue.

I have never felt the need to join a clan. I have a few RL mates and we take the game reasonably seriously and that has always been enough.

I now feel that this mode will mean I will either be forced to join a clan or I will get left by the wayside. I dont particularly want either of these things to happen, but one or the other is likely.

GeorCa #5 Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:52 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 20113 battles
It is some sort of endgame content and endgame content (or higher game level if you want) is usually accessible only with clan in most games...so no problem here in my sight.

babuuni #6 Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:09 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13143 battles

View PostGruff_, on 31 July 2014 - 05:16 PM, said:

View Postbeercritch, on 31 July 2014 - 06:43 PM, said:

thats sort of my issue.

I have never felt the need to join a clan. I have a few RL mates and we take the game reasonably seriously and that has always been enough.

I now feel that this mode will mean I will either be forced to join a clan or I will get left by the wayside. I dont particularly want either of these things to happen, but one or the other is likely.

Yeah, there is a possibility that joining a community in a multiplayer game might yield extra benefits (even the game developers might come up with stuff that works along those lines).

Who would have thought.

Ubertron_X #7 Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:12 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 30513 battles

Even though I think the WG incentive of getting more people into organized play to fuel their precious E-Sports ambitions might be a bonus to some in my personal opinion this is going in the entirely wrong direction.

It's the same as if some random billionaire would be comming to a local football pitch where a couple of friends are regulary playing at at their leisure yelling: "I am doing a league now, everybody can play for money now!"

And that's to moment to quit as it is not my game anymore.

babuuni #8 Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:34 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13143 battles

View PostUbertron_X, on 31 July 2014 - 09:12 PM, said:

Even though I think the WG incentive of getting more people into organized play to fuel their precious E-Sports ambitions might be a bonus to some in my personal opinion this is going in the entirely wrong direction.

It's the same as if some random billionaire would be comming to a local football pitch where a couple of friends are regulary playing at at their leisure yelling: "I am doing a league now, everybody can play for money now!"

And that's to moment to quit as it is not my game anymore.

Yeah, I heard they give a million goldz for everyone playing the new mode. You should quit if you don't want to play the millionaires league. 

A better comparison would be that you are kicking an old ball with two friends and the local coach asks if you want to play a friendly game with 20 other players and he will give you a new ball to play the game with. Some people will want to try it out but some will rather kick the old ball with their two friends.

Cravone #9 Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:12 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 28628 battles
  • [666TH] 666TH
About time they brought out a new kind of end-game, and I have been looking forward to this for ages, finally it is rewarding to be in a clan again. Although I do have to complain about the video, it was more confusing than the game mode is. You should get streamers like quickybaby to do your guides.

Ubertron_X #10 Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:14 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 30513 battles

View Postbabuuni, on 31 July 2014 - 08:34 PM, said:

Yeah, I heard they give a million goldz for everyone playing the new mode. You should quit if you don't want to play the millionaires league.

This games millionaires league is not tier X or clan wars, those are boring and imbalanced as XXXX. This game is about random tier I - IX even if WG will never acknowledge.

Don't think so?

Then remove all but tier X and see how many players will be left to play the game.

babuuni #11 Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:35 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13143 battles

View PostUbertron_X, on 01 August 2014 - 12:14 AM, said:

This games millionaires league is not tier X or clan wars, those are boring and imbalanced as XXXX. This game is about random tier I - IX even if WG will never acknowledge.

Don't think so?

Then remove all but tier X and see how many players will be left to play the game.

Huh?

Ubertron_X #12 Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:35 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 30513 battles

View Postbabuuni, on 01 August 2014 - 08:35 AM, said:

Huh?

Let me put it this way: A good game does not need an extra end-game.

Does chess need an end-game?

Does counter-strike need an end-game?

Does league of legends need an end-game?

In my opinion the plain answers is: No!

In all the above games the normal game does not differ much from the end-game (apart from ever rising player skill and excellence of execution that is), so why has this to be the case here? Why is the random tier I to IX game fast paced and mostly fun and clan wars are tedious strategic trench wars and extremely boring to play and watch?

Or as some developer put it: "In a good game the end-game creates itself and does not have to be superimposed from the outside."

If you superimpose content you will eventually end up like World of Warcraft, with ever rising expensions and level caps and despite your efforts the playerbase will still be yelling: "Been there, done that, give me more!!1!"

This is what is wrong with WoT and considering the above I do not think that Stronghold is going into the right direction.

SanyaJuutilainen #13 Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:04 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 20649 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View PostUbertron_X, on 01 August 2014 - 11:35 AM, said:

In all the above games the normal game does not differ much from the end-game (apart from ever rising player skill and excellence of execution that is), so why has this to be the case here? Why is the random tier I to IX game fast paced and mostly fun and clan wars are tedious strategic trench wars and extremely boring to play and watch?

Or as some developer put it: "In a good game the end-game creates itself and does not have to be superimposed from the outside."

If you superimpose content you will eventually end up like World of Warcraft, with ever rising expensions and level caps and despite your efforts the playerbase will still be yelling: "Been there, done that, give me more!!1!"

This is what is wrong with WoT and considering the above I do not think that Stronghold is going into the right direction.

What is chess about? Defeating your opponent.
What is CS about? Defeating enemy team.
What is LoL about? Defeating enemy team (though... see below)

What is WoT about? Grinding tanks.
Yes - in WoT, the primary thing that players do is getting to some interesting tank. Tiger, because they like it as WW2 nuts, KV-1S, because it is OP, Tier X, because it's the last one. The random battle is only the means of getting to your tank.

It's a bit similar to LoL in regard of skins and new chars and rebalances - if they ever stopped rebalancing and adding new chars, it would kill part of the playerbase, because for some players LoL isn't about defeating enemy primarily, but about getting the cool chars.

Why not add more tanks, you might ask - well, the problem is, that some players don't focus on anything but a single nation and they run out of tanks soon. Then they burn out, having nothing to play (why bother, I have Maus, end of game), and leave the game. The strongholds, while not perfectly, prevent that (help your clan even if you can't land in CWs, get free XP and credits so you can skip tough places in branches you might be interested in, but don't want to grind).

And yes, it's similar to WoW, because the problem in there is the same - the main thing you do there is get to the max level, then it's maybe about defeating some dungeons... and then you mastered the game and you can just start new character and repeat, maybe. I think there's some clan-based end content as well, though.

"Why is the random tier I to IX game fast paced and mostly fun and clan wars are tedious strategic trench wars and extremely boring to play and watch?"
Maybe for you - I've played a few matches in campaigns with clan and it was a very enjoyable thing, and from my talking to players I think many see it as such as well. It's because 15 uncoordinated people going against 15 uncoordinated people is "fun" (see: people whining about 0:15 losses on forums), but the same people going against coordinated clan is "slaughter". And while boring to watch (imagine aliens watching the WW1 - everyone in trenches for years!), it's not boring to those waiting for an enemy to peek over that hill again, with finger on mouse.

An example of a clan going gung-ho against a clan with a proper strategy:
https://www.youtube....h?v=1csr0dxalpI

You learn after two or ten defeats that this is not a good strategy to use.

VeryRisky #14 Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:56 PM

General

• Player
  • 17105 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Well to me it looks like an opportunity to have fun playing 7v7 tier 6 battles with perhaps some small bonus now and again.

babuuni #15 Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:26 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13143 battles

View PostUbertron_X, on 01 August 2014 - 11:35 AM, said:

I've had a few beers but I feel like there's no sense in what you are writing. Maybe you should just quit if this goes against everything you believe in?

ISI_007 #16 Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:11 AM

Private

• Player
  • 26332 battles
add me in clan

Joker_of_the_Clan #17 Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:43 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 36530 battles

The first issue we found is that it is going to be hard to look after 100 people in clan and remind them to leave the units after they finish their game.

It would be good idea to do some kind of unit reset, when the server is reset in the morning, and with this reset all the players that were spread on all units will be  moved to command center. So we dont have to check every time if people left the unit or not.

Simple solution for blocked slots that we have per unit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users