• Please log in to reply
231 replies to this topic

Hawky802 #1 Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:07 PM

Private

• Player
  • 12954 battles
  • [STAPA] STAPA

What Does Artillery add to The Game?

This is not another 'Artillery whine' page, I just want to have people opinions on what arty brings to the game, here both parties can lay done their cases for its continued inclusion in the game (or removal). Personally I think that atry brings a lot to the game, mostly anger and rage for me but I want to know other opinions on the matter. Let's not let this page devolve into melee between arty and non arty like the majority of other pages including Artillery and have a civil discussion on it (High hopes I know).

_Antipathy #2 Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:15 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 651 battles

Good side: They were designed for supporting the troops (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artillery). And it's what they actually do in the game.

Let's say I'm blocked, because there's a TD in front of me and I cannot attack him without dying. I can ask arty to aim at him and kill him. As it has a great range and power, the enemy gets killed and I can move without problem.

Bad side: A lot of people complain about arty because they get hit by it. Why? Because they aren't enough skilled to avoid it. You need to keep moving and avoid camping too much in the same place, but sadly, mostly players simply camp, providing arty easy targets. And when they get killed, they can't think it's just a game and start to rage and flame.

BravelyRanAway #3 Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:22 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 23509 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T
It add's the ability to.....answer the phone, eat, drink and play with things you shouldn't while gaming........other than that...not a lot. :hiding:

M1tchy #4 Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:06 PM

Major

• Player
  • 34364 battles

View PostLeadbucket, on 09 August 2014 - 08:22 PM, said:

It add's the ability to.....answer the phone, eat, drink and play with things you shouldn't while gaming........other than that...not a lot. :hiding:

Pathetic standard response.

Arty can add a lot to the game, but many players are too impatient to make use of arty properly. Instead of rushing in to try and kill or damage an opponent, if they were able to restrain themselves from rushing to their death, then arty would be able to back them up and damage the enemy, then let the tankie move in and finish them off.

It rarely works like that as players just want to rush everywhere crying for help. The worst kind are the ones that insult arty, then expect help from them...They can wait until I help out a decent player.

c0smicsquirrel #5 Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:19 PM

Private

• Player
  • 51 battles
[Edited]

Edited by FireflyDivision, 10 August 2014 - 12:14 PM.
This post has been edited by a member of the Moderation Team, due to inappropriate content. An official notification has also been sent. -FireflyDivision

Kolmiopaavo #6 Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 43860 battles
  • [FAME] FAME

View PostM1tchy, on 09 August 2014 - 10:06 PM, said:

Arty can add a lot to the game, but many players are too impatient to make use of arty properly. Instead of rushing in to try and kill or damage an opponent, if they were able to restrain themselves from rushing to their death, then arty would be able to back them up and damage the enemy, then let the tankie move in and finish them off.

It rarely works like that as players just want to rush everywhere crying for help. The worst kind are the ones that insult arty, then expect help from them...They can wait until I help out a decent player.

I decided to check how hard it was to play a tier 10 arty, as you claim. My contribution surely added a lot to the enjoyment of the other players, and i for sure enjoyed it as well. Not forgetting about the fact that i had to use all the skills i have under my belt to do what i did in that game.

View Postc0smicsquirrel, on 09 August 2014 - 10:19 PM, said:

[Edited]

Agreed. At least the arty lovers wont say anymore that i havent played arty, so they cant use that reason to make my arguments irrelevant in their opinion, at least they need to use some creativity. I find it quite amusing though as the same people who say that we havent played arty dont have any hightier tanks themeselves...

Btw, did your main acc got banned for a long time because of the thread(s?) you created?

Edited by FireflyDivision, 10 August 2014 - 12:15 PM.
Quote moderated

Evil_Mungo #7 Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:12 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Clan Commander
  • 28225 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
Frustration.

BravelyRanAway #8 Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:14 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 23509 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View PostM1tchy, on 09 August 2014 - 09:06 PM, said:

There are very few good arty players in WoT. Most are really bad and having to rely on those to actually hit anything would for the most part be a fruitless endeavor. 

I never insult arty players in game....I accept the fact that WG have placed them in the game and play accordingly.

But I do believe that there would be better game play without arty. Which was kinda proven when they first nerfed arty, as in the first few weeks after the arty nerf game play was more fluid when the number of arty players had dropped off substantially.

M1tchy #9 Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:43 AM

Major

• Player
  • 34364 battles

*edited*

Edited by Daxeno, 26 October 2017 - 10:21 AM.
This post has been edited by the moderation team due to inappropriate remarks.

Hawky802 #10 Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:16 AM

Private

• Player
  • 12954 battles
  • [STAPA] STAPA

View Post_Antipathy, on 09 August 2014 - 09:15 PM, said:

Bad side: A lot of people complain about arty because they get hit by it. Why? Because they aren't enough skilled to avoid it. You need to keep moving and avoid camping too much in the same place, but sadly, mostly players simply camp, providing arty easy targets. And when they get killed, they can't think it's just a game and start to rage and flame.

People always say to avoid artillery by moving around but sometimes this just isn't possible. For example i was playing my Dicker Max on Karelia assault, not wanted to camp base ridge (we were attacking) I moved to the north of the map I put a good shot into a KV-3, I knew i was spotted so I start doing unpredictable movements but poor old Fat Max just cant move quickly, I was then obliterated by a G.W Panther. I then proceeded to rage like an imbecile like you described.

Hawky802 #11 Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:34 AM

Private

• Player
  • 12954 battles
  • [STAPA] STAPA

View PostM1tchy, on 09 August 2014 - 10:06 PM, said:

This is where the problem develops. Artillery cannot support every flank at once so there will always be a percentage without artillery support, these players are now thinking to themselves that 'arty never helps me' within the next few games they will then likely be killed themselves by arty, this creates an imbalance of the Arty adds to/ Arty takes away from the game. I think this is why most think that arty takes more away from the game than it brings to it.

Darth_Clicker #12 Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:19 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 58431 battles
  • [4RCE] 4RCE

What does Artillery add to the game?  It adds enjoyment for me.  It is much more enjoyable for me compared to playing a tank.  Why?  Because I like the challenge that arty offers beyond what tanks offer.  Arty is different and special- Special Purpose Gun.  I think good spg players are more attentive to the mini map and to what is happening on the field of action.  Tank drivers do not have as much time to look at the mini map.  Depending on which arty I am in, I will have time to watch the map and to call attention to an area that is open or about to fall.  I also can help the tank in trouble.

I help.  I support.

Gnomus #13 Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:02 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 34526 battles
  • [ASEET] ASEET

View PostLeadbucket, on 10 August 2014 - 01:14 AM, said:

But I do believe that there would be better game play without arty. Which was kinda proven when they first nerfed arty, as in the first few weeks after the arty nerf game play was more fluid when the number of arty players had dropped off substantially.

That sure happened, but do you have any explanation why those fluid games stopped in few weeks? It wasn't because of arty. It took almost a year and several arty specials to get arty numbers to current levels. 

Something else killed fluid and fun games. Sharp drop on arty numbers and few weeks of "honeymoon" showed that many players thought arty was reason for all the camping and played more freely. That fluid games stopped shows that in the end arty wasn't reason for camping, or at least not only reason.

Kolmiopaavo #14 Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:20 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 43860 battles
  • [FAME] FAME

View PostBkc1965, on 10 August 2014 - 06:19 AM, said:

What does Artillery add to the game?  It adds enjoyment for me.  It is much more enjoyable for me compared to playing a tank.  Why?  Because I like the challenge that arty offers beyond what tanks offer.  Arty is different and special- Special Purpose Gun.  I think good spg players are more attentive to the mini map and to what is happening on the field of action.  Tank drivers do not have as much time to look at the mini map.  Depending on which arty I am in, I will have time to watch the map and to call attention to an area that is open or about to fall.  I also can help the tank in trouble.

I help.  I support.

Excatly. Youre having fun with the cost of 20-28 other players in the game.

BravelyRanAway #15 Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:39 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 23509 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View PostBkc1965, on 10 August 2014 - 05:19 AM, said:

Tank drivers do not have as much time to look at the mini map.  Depending on which arty I am in, I will have time to watch the map and to call attention to an area that is open or about to fall.  I also can help the tank in trouble.

I help.  I support.

Tank drivers have the time to look at the mini-map, the problem is how they react to what they see happening there, good players will know when to reposition or support without instruction from an arty player......or any other player for that matter.

If what you say above is true then you should have better results in your SPG's.......as it stands, yours tell a different story.

Carycyn #16 Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:47 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 21612 battles

these forum threads really shouldnt be used to discuss with arty players.

(as in answerung to their arguments)

as pointed out,by far the most of them arent good enough to understand

why artillery is frustrating so its useless to discuss with these people.

also sometimes they will make arguments that seem right at first

("you can avoid artillery") that are just plain wrong.

i personally will do the same as i did a few months ago and not play

t9+ for a while and laugh about all those skilled arty players that cant

even do their own health as damage in other tanks,let alone actually

being useful.

Edited by Carycyn, 10 August 2014 - 08:47 AM.

Darth_Clicker #17 Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:03 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 58431 battles
  • [4RCE] 4RCE

View PostLeadbucket, on 10 August 2014 - 09:39 AM, said:

Tank drivers have the time to look at the mini-map, the problem is how they react to what they see happening there, good players will know when to reposition or support without instruction from an arty player......or any other player for that matter.

If what you say above is true then you should have better results in your SPG's.......as it stands, yours tell a different story.

How can you judge a support vehicle the same as non support vehicles?  You should not compare the two on equal terms because they are not equal.  SPGs do not get bonuses in XP like tanks do.  We are not babied and given candy (xp points and massive armor and super quick aim time) to make us stop crying.

Your damage caused damage received ratio is 0.95 which is laughable compared to my 4.71.   Your kill/death ratio is 1.29 which is lower than my 1.56.  The story told by those stats makes me look better than you.

Besides, I do not play the game for the stats.  I play the game to enjoy myself.  I do not think that I am a bad arty driver.  I more often than not have the best arty results on both teams.  I had a random battle today in my BC 155 58 where I did 3414 dmg, 1142 asst damage, 3 frags, WN8 rating of 3669, WN7 2717.  I got 734 xp and netted 26,676 credits and took 0 damage.  I do not think that is a bad performance.  I had good spots, not a lot of campers and the team played like a team.  I helped support my team and I had fun.

Edited by Bkc1965, 10 August 2014 - 12:09 PM.

_GRUNT_ #18 Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:07 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 37313 battles
  • [BULL2] BULL2

View PostKolmiopaavo, on 10 August 2014 - 12:19 AM, said:

I decided to check how hard it was to play a tier 10 arty, as you claim. My contribution surely added a lot to the enjoyment of the other players, and i for sure enjoyed it as well. Not forgetting about the fact that i had to use all the skills i have under my belt to do what i did in that game.

Nice game in the t92 congratz.

Just curious if you kept all of the american spg line?
If you think your previous knowledge in real tanks helped?

If you would continue in the T92 making pretty much a loss in credits?

Also how much gold would it take on retraining to get well trained crew into a tier x arty?

lots of love x

Edited by _GRUNT_, 10 August 2014 - 12:13 PM.

BravelyRanAway #19 Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:44 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 23509 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View PostBkc1965, on 10 August 2014 - 12:03 PM, said:

Your damage caused damage received ratio is 0.95 which is laughable compared to my 4.71.   Your kill/death ratio is 1.29 which is lower than my 1.56.  The story told by those stats makes me look better than you.

I'm just an average player and have never claimed otherwise.

I'm not the one who's claiming that arty changes the game for the better....that's you......with your 47% WR. Why is your WR not better....because you are not effective enough in arty....so your damage is a moot point if it doesn't win battles.

Although lots of damage is nice it, is not the only way to win, knowing when to deal it and who to deal it too is more important.

My last 1000 battles say 61%......yours 46%.......and your 4.71 average, considering you are playing arty at mostly higher levels, wouldn't even add up to the HP of an IS-3.

Kolmiopaavo #20 Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:45 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 43860 battles
  • [FAME] FAME

View Post_GRUNT_, on 10 August 2014 - 01:07 PM, said:

Just curious if you kept all of the american spg line?

Not sure what you meant, but no, i didnt keep any arties other than the top tier T92. Atm only arties in my garage are T92 and FV304. If you meant if i liked them, no, because i dont agree with arties in general. From arty-balance perspective US arties quite comfortable to play though as they have nice gun arcs.

If you think your previous knowledge in real tanks helped?

Not much, but i dont think its bad either. Arties are easy to play anyways.

If you would continue in the T92 making pretty much a loss in credits?

Yes, as i run premium gasoline and coca-cola, and also fire prem shells only. But the thing is that im not planning on playing the T92 at all, so when i play it once in a blue moon i can afford to do it.

Also how much gold would it take on retraining to get well trained crew into a tier x arty?

200*X, while X is the amount of crew members needed for the arty. However i only recommend retraining for gold when its half price. I didnt have this problem as my T92 crew is the original arty crew from the days i begun to play this game.

Edited by Kolmiopaavo, 10 August 2014 - 12:47 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users