What does Artillery add to the game?

Arty Artillery Balance OP

• Please log in to reply
231 replies to this topic

M1tchy #41 Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:43 AM

Major

• Player
  • 34364 battles
I played my AMX 105 AM for the first time in a while. 8 shots fired of which only 2 hit. It just shows how bad it can get if you get out of practice.  Also how much luck is involved if you get hit by arty. Still keeping it though.

Edited by M1tchy, 11 August 2014 - 10:44 AM.

Raid_ #42 Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:57 AM

Private

• Player
  • 11442 battles

No practice needed, aiming at static targets ;)

M1tchy #43 Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:56 AM

Major

• Player
  • 34364 battles
Neg rep for [edited] response from an [edited]

Edited by BigBadVuk, 13 August 2014 - 03:16 PM.
This post has been edited by a member of the Moderation Team, due to inappropriate content. An official notification has also been sent. BigBadVuk

Raid_ #44 Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:34 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11442 battles

View PostM1tchy, on 11 August 2014 - 12:56 PM, said:

Neg rep for [edited] response from an [edited]

Truth hurts captain insult!

Hit this rock. I need practice! 

Edit: LOL your sig.. mwahahaha     "It's a shame that neg rep has become the weapon of children." 

Edited by BigBadVuk, 13 August 2014 - 03:17 PM.

lukebnm #45 Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:43 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 11041 battles

View PostRaidmm, on 11 August 2014 - 10:55 AM, said:

And yes I am just "above average player" ad of WN8.But to all those "YOU GOT NO SKILL YOLO NO SKILL L2P TROLLOLOL" guys appearing here, tell me, what to improve on my artillery skills, when the grenade just keeps refusing to hit a static target?

i find it more annoying when you hit them but for some reason they get tracked doing no actual damage to the tank :sceptic:

Edited by lukebnm, 11 August 2014 - 05:46 PM.

Kolmiopaavo #46 Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 43860 battles
  • [FAME] FAME

View PostSeedling, on 11 August 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

Firing nothing but gold and you can't even break 5k damage on a T92 (for Gore's Medal and High Caliber)...

Don't get me wrong, it's a damn nice result as far as arties go, don't see that often. But it's not like the 10-15k damage you can pull off in mediums, heavies and TDs on a good day.

For a bane of tanks, you did surprising little damage (barely 2 shots worth). Compare it to that T30 who did the most damage but didn't even get a High Caliber... I guess you confirmed that arties are in no way overpowered... just freaking annoying, like that ridgecamping TD beyond visual range.

I just picked it because it happened to be my first game and it was relatively good. True, 4.5k is pretty bad for a "highlight" (never intended it to be one), as some people average that kind of damage in tier 9 and 10, and 4k average dmg is something i aim to get on average in my tier 10 mediums. And its an arty in the end, so i dont care. Im not gonna play it anyways, the T92 can have its days in my garages shamecorner.

Ive myself (and im pretty good player at least) never got over 10k game in any of my tanks, 9.6k is my max atm in BC25. You can pull off those results, yes, but you make it sound like it happens regularly and easily. Its the sum of extreme luck and at least some skill if you manage to to that in a HT/MT, and its not something that happens usually on a TD either.

When you think about it... I average 3.7k dmg in my E-50M. Thats barely worth of 10 shots. 10 clicks. Just over the HP of a Maus. Cant be that hard. It sounds easy, yet 3.7k average dmg is consiedered extremely good that only very few people are capable of pulling out.

And it should be clear to you but for a long time i havent claimed that arties are OP. So didnt prove anything.

Edited by Kolmiopaavo, 11 August 2014 - 10:06 PM.

pixarart #47 Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:09 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 43180 battles
it adds the posibility tomatoes to do some damage and kills

Slow_roller #48 Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:49 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 33869 battles
  • [THSS] THSS
Games without arty are terrible when you are in LT. Oh look no arty, team all lemming train, when half are dead start raging, asking why I not scout, but I cannot because they are too far forward, so i just let the afk at base spot for me and then do the bridge jump.

Kolmiopaavo #49 Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 43860 battles
  • [FAME] FAME

View PostSlow_roller, on 12 August 2014 - 12:49 PM, said:

Games without arty are terrible when you are in LT. Oh look no arty, team all lemming train, when half are dead start raging, asking why I not scout, but I cannot because they are too far forward, so i just let the afk at base spot for me and then do the bridge jump.

There are like 5 maps in the game where it can be benefical to be in a light tank, the rest are corridor tunnel brawls where being a scout tank sucks anyways.

Maybe 3 years ago, but not in the current meta.

vonBlashyrkh #50 Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:09 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10049 battles
  • [-UTC-] -UTC-
To answer the OP's original question...

Nothing good

TheMeme_Sexii #51 Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:02 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 34570 battles
@OP: your tears.

conductiv #52 Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:45 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Beta Tester
  • 34565 battles
  • [FIFO] FIFO

It adds indirect fire, the ability to "flank" targets that are behind or on top of a hill and require allies to suicide on them to get a shot., its difficulty in hitting moving targets makes it most suitable for campers on very specific locations.

its also the thing most people hate about SPG's, they can hit you in spots where other tanks would have a hard time hitting you.

It adds the only effective use of HE in the higher tiers, no tank class except SPG's makes effective use of the HE ammo type. only a few tanks can effectively use HE (KV-2, SU-152, 183..etc.) most of these are tier 5 and below. and the very few that can make effective use on it in the higher tiers, hardly do.

again something some people hate, they can't simply tank it on a strong turret or eat it on spaced armor, and it can splash..almost always dealing some damage on a hit and dealing a lot of damage if it actually penetrates a thin slab of armor.

it adds a very weak vehicle class that is the epitome of a glass cannon, generally having both poor HP, camo, speed and armor. but very high damage per shot..all be it very inaccurate. its extremely rare this vehicle survives a encounter with the enemy if it is unable to kill that enemy within 10 seconds. it is the only vehicle class that can be killed reliably and quickly by non-autoloader light tanks tier 5 and up.

moot piont for many, as having a long range and the ability to employ indirect fire allows them to stay reasonably safe from imminent annihilation while being able to contribute. spotting and the ability to tank is seen as unimportant compared to the tanks high firepower.

basically its a different type of vehicle compared to most other tanks, and many people consider the things it adds more as a annoyance then a benefit...or they simply don't care.

enrico7113 #53 Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:45 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 50097 battles

it adds my will to play for free

Edited by enrico7113, 18 August 2014 - 02:26 AM.

conductiv #54 Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:56 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Beta Tester
  • 34565 battles
  • [FIFO] FIFO

View Postenrico7113, on 18 August 2014 - 01:45 AM, said:

I do not know what does it add

I know it poisons the fun of the game

it removes the possibility to use all the map

when there is arty most tanks will look for cover and fight in the city or behind tall cover

I know people will look for cover and fight in cities anyway...arty or not.

I know large parts of most maps are hardly ever used... arty or not.

I do not know if it poisons fun, arty as an enemy does indeed require some extra considerations, arty as an ally allows for some additional options as well.

Trados #55 Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:05 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9840 battles
  • [PRAVD] PRAVD

View PostMajorLanger, on 11 August 2014 - 05:37 AM, said:

Dude, it's SELF PROPELLED GUN, not Special Purpose gun.

LOL finally someone said it XD was waiting on it

as for arty i am aware that its not some magically guided satellite bombardment with 100% accuracy that can hit anywhere bu it still makes me rage....why? because you are doing rly well in battle and then someone sitting in his spawn will RNG hit you by chance and you get 1 shooted or if you are lucky he will miss and just take half of your hp and track or something...... ofc if you play tanks with better armor or arty is low tier it wont 1 shoot you but still nice amount of hp gone along with 3+ modules/crew dmged

Darth_Clicker #56 Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:18 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 58421 battles
  • [4RCE] 4RCE

View PostTrados, on 18 August 2014 - 03:05 AM, said:

LOL finally someone said it XD was waiting on it

as for arty i am aware that its not some magically guided satellite bombardment with 100% accuracy that can hit anywhere bu it still makes me rage....why? because you are doing rly well in battle and then someone sitting in his spawn will RNG hit you by chance and you get 1 shooted or if you are lucky he will miss and just take half of your hp and track or something...... ofc if you play tanks with better armor or arty is low tier it wont 1 shoot you but still nice amount of hp gone along with 3+ modules/crew dmged

How many SPGs have you destroyed without having them fire a shot at your tank because they could not turn fast enough or aim fast enough to hit you?  How many SPGs have you destroyed with one shot from your tank?

The point is that everyone has something to rage about....even arty drivers. 

Hinka #57 Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:16 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 20586 battles
  • [27-RD] 27-RD

View Post_Antipathy, on 09 August 2014 - 09:15 PM, said:

Good side: They were designed for supporting the troops (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artillery). And it's what they actually do in the game.

Let's say I'm blocked, because there's a TD in front of me and I cannot attack him without dying. I can ask arty to aim at him and kill him. As it has a great range and power, the enemy gets killed and I can move without problem.

Bad side: A lot of people complain about arty because they get hit by it. Why? Because they aren't enough skilled to avoid it. You need to keep moving and avoid camping too much in the same place, but sadly, mostly players simply camp, providing arty easy targets. And when they get killed, they can't think it's just a game and start to rage and flame.

The good side reply u made is B.S. simply because artileries where used as suport for infantry not tanks, also they where sometimes used to make the infantry take cover in the foxholes while the tanks advanced (not against tanks), and on the same subject the accuracy of the artilerie was so bad that in order for them to hit and make some damage or even destroy the enemie position (that wasnt mobile like a tank, like bunkers, trenches) they used multiple artilery guns that fired a lott of shells just in order to hit a big stationary position (again not tanks!).  If u are blocked by tds, use the terrain to your advantage and flank them, if u dont know how to do this learn how to actualy play (track the tds and they are dead in the water).

The bad side reply is also B.S. since one shot from an artie has the efect of at least 4 lucky shots that a normal tank would have to take in order to knock out the crew members and modules the artie shot does, and keep in mind he doesent even need to hit u, splash damage has the same result. Also the gameplay of an artie is esentialy boting since u move a bit at the begining then camp the whole round and shoot at the spoted enemies.

Skill to avoid an incoming round shot from a position u arent even able to see? Well I dont see the christal globe on the comanders skills to lvl up, to predict the shells incoming. If u move the artie has more than 70 % of getting u, simply because the splash has the same or even more amount of damage than regular shots, even ones incoming from tds.

Note: matches with no arties in them tend to end in under 5 minutes, matches with arties tend to last the whole 15 minutes. (arties are the cause of camping, they are not reducing the camping in matches).

To sum it up arties are imaginary things (since they cant even be called tanks) that have and op damage output, not to mention the ridiculos credit earnings (they are allmoast as efective as tier 8 premium tanks), the aiming is even better than it was before the so called nerf, playing artie requires no skill at all. So basicly its just a class that causes masive camping, they are totaly overpowered and thus present an unfair advantage in the game.

Edited by Hinka, 22 August 2014 - 01:17 PM.

_Antipathy #58 Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:30 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 651 battles

Block Quote

Note: matches with no arties in them tend to end in under 5 minutes, matches with arties tend to last the whole 15 minutes. (arties are the cause of camping, they are not reducing the camping in matches).

Proof?

View PostHinka, on 22 August 2014 - 01:16 PM, said:

To sum it up arties are imaginary things (since they cant even be called tanks) that have and op damage output, not to mention the ridiculos credit earnings (they are allmoast as efective as tier 8 premium tanks), the aiming is even better than it was before the so called nerf, playing artie requires no skill at all. So basicly its just a class that causes masive camping, they are totaly overpowered and thus present an unfair advantage in the game.

A lot of tanks in this game weren't even produced.

And it's an arcade game.

Seedling #59 Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:45 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10860 battles
  • [6PACK] 6PACK

View PostHinka, on 22 August 2014 - 02:16 PM, said:

If matches end in 5 minutes, it's because MM matches up super unicums versus tomatos... again. Matches with arty only last 15 minutes because the enemy is using basecamping bots and/or afks.. and that can be done without arty, with both sides that refuse to go out of cover.

View PostHinka, on 22 August 2014 - 02:16 PM, said:

All tanks are imaginary in WoT, it's balanced for gameplay not realism... There are however plenty of arties with actual combat (such as the Bishop), others got repurposed as other classes to fill holes in the tech tree.  The Alecto was an SPG, as was the KV-2 with the 152mm howitzer... 

And SPGs do NOT have ridiculous credit earnings...  The FV304 and Bishop are notable exceptions, because they have cheap shells that can be dropped on the top of tanks for above average penetration, but the top tiers are running deeply in the red...

Skipp44 #60 Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:52 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 18881 battles
  • [WOOF] WOOF

View Postpixarart, on 11 August 2014 - 11:09 PM, said:

it adds the posibility tomatoes to do some damage and kills

Dont forget a better WN8.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users