• Please log in to reply
2489 replies to this topic

Desyatnik_Pansy #2481 Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:57 AM

Bartender

• Player
  • 16440 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostBlablaPaige, on 12 October 2018 - 01:24 AM, said:

After testing most of the setting (I use paint.net) while folling your list, this is the best result I got (I only use the AM/AM_hd) 

Spoiler

The result is strange, the hull/turret/gun are always in the original skin in the close view, but the wheel are either bugged, either working with the skin or with the original. And the zoom out view work fine.

The strange thing is that in 2016 when I made the skin, I have the same zoom in/out problem but in reverse: the skin worked in close view, and were full black in far view.

At this point I don't know if I'm confusing myself and make mystake I'm not avare of or I don't have the working setup in the program 

I use Paint.NET Too. To explain it with perhaps some more detail:

1. I copied my existing textures. Normally I just edited the am_hd textures then removed the _hd, so I just added _hd to the end of the copies, meaning I now had am and am_hd textures but they were both the same.

2. I opened both in Paint.NET. I shrunk the am textures by half then saved them with DXT1 and with mipmaps generated.

3. For the am_hd textures I just saved them again with DXT5 But without generating mipmaps.

For 2+3 Just to my show save configurations:

That seems to have resolved my problems (otherwise I was doing the texture renaming thing but that's a lot more work) except for with the 50TP Prototyp. which still seems to have some problems, but it could just be me having saved something wrong. 

Spoiler

BlablaPaige #2482 Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:13 AM

Lieutenant General

• Clan Commander
  • 20797 battles
  • [N00T] N00T

View PostDesyatnik_Pansy, on 12 October 2018 - 02:57 AM, said:

I use Paint.NET Too. To explain it with perhaps some more detail:

1. I copied my existing textures. Normally I just edited the am_hd textures then removed the _hd, so I just added _hd to the end of the copies, meaning I now had am and am_hd textures but they were both the same.

2. I opened both in Paint.NET. I shrunk the am textures by half then saved them with DXT1 and with mipmaps generated.

3. For the am_hd textures I just saved them again with DXT5 But without generating mipmaps.

For 2+3 Just to my show save configurations:

On one hand I'm happy beacause thats exactly what I've done, even the way we create the skin, on the other hand I'm trigger beacause it doesn't work for me x) 

I tested on the TVP and on the O-HO, both the same zoom-in/out thing 

Desyatnik_Pansy #2483 Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:19 AM

Bartender

• Player
  • 16440 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostBlablaPaige, on 12 October 2018 - 02:13 AM, said:

On one hand I'm happy beacause thats exactly what I've done, even the way we create the skin, on the other hand I'm trigger beacause it doesn't work for me x) 

I tested on the TVP and on the O-HO, both the same zoom-in/out thing 

Got absolutely no idea then.

BlablaPaige #2484 Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:22 AM

Lieutenant General

• Clan Commander
  • 20797 battles
  • [N00T] N00T

I love having the same bug than other people, but not the same solution :trollface:

Edited by BlablaPaige, 12 October 2018 - 02:22 AM.

atacms #2485 Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:34 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4895 battles

View PostBlablaPaige, on 11 October 2018 - 11:27 PM, said:

Do I have to do this for the modified AO and GMM files? 

ao and anm texture do have alpha layer, so you need dxt5-interpolatedAlpha for them.

the other rules apply to all texture types so long as they have an original counterpart in res/packages. the program knew the existence of _hd.dds because they are in the stock build, that's why it also tries to find the whole <xx.dds+xx_hd.dds> pair of texture in mods folder. their new code handling the texture pair is not robust enough, so this bug occurred.

that's why changing texture filename/path and the visual invoking them also fixes the problem. there is no extra mip layer (xx_hd.dds) present in the original package. wot don't know they exists or not, so it doesn't look for the hd texture. There used to be a dedicated .texformat file to inform the game of the existence of the extra HD mip layer, but it's gone now.

the dds format depends on whether an alpha layer is required for that specific texture.

normally, if you used dxt5 for am, you merely wasted the extra space to store an unused alpha layer. it should not make it unusable, but if the coding there is incredibly weak, it just might.

meeting the whole 5 requirements will make your texture identical to the stock WG one so it can never fail.

some of it might not be necessary, like requirement 2 and 4. 

i don't know if we need to do the same for modified ao/anm/gmm. that depends on the scale of this weak code.  but it's safer if all your texture followed the WG rules, even if the future coding become even weaker. After all, they have to ensure that their own stock texture works at least.

Edited by atacms, 12 October 2018 - 03:46 AM.

Sgt_Krollnikow51 #2486 Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:57 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 9007 battles
  • [D-5-5] D-5-5
I had the same issue, many of my tanks with skins were looking weird too.
Changing the hangar with hangman mod has shown me which tank has this issue and about 80% were involved.
First I did was deleting all extra files (AO+GMM.ds) which were inside my skins. Then I opened the AM file with paint.net and saved it with HD resolution in DXT1 and MipMaps.
Refreshing the hangar shows then a fine looking tank without any issues.
Also the zoom in/out issue is no more evident.
Today I will have a look on the AO/GMM files with GIMP to explore how they have changed.
Checking the size of some copied org.texture files out of the pkg's
and doing the same with my skin files had shown me that AM.dds are in DXT1 with MipMaps and AM_hd.dds the same without them . Same for AO/GMM.dds files. They are all in DXT5 and the non HD files have MipMaps.
For me it was a matter of saving time/work to use only one file for my skins: AM.dds in hd resolution with MipMaps and it seems to me that this is working.

Edited by Sgt_Krollnikow51, 12 October 2018 - 09:59 AM.

BlablaPaige #2487 Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:43 PM

Lieutenant General

• Clan Commander
  • 20797 battles
  • [N00T] N00T

View PostSgt_Krollnikow51, on 12 October 2018 - 10:57 AM, said:

Then I opened the AM file with paint.net and saved it with HD resolution in DXT1 and MipMaps.

I'm not sur to have fully understood your message, but you gave me the idea to save the AM_HD in DTX1 without minimap and it seem to work :medal:

Now the GMM and AO.... 

Edited by BlablaPaige, 12 October 2018 - 12:49 PM.

Sgt_Krollnikow51 #2488 Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:20 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 9007 battles
  • [D-5-5] D-5-5
So thats a way to do it ;)
Orginally I've ment that the AM_hd.dds should be saved as a AM.dds with MipMaps so you can use only one file per texture part, but you can do it right now as you did it: AM.dds with MipMaps, AM_hd.dds WITHOUT MipMaps, BOTH in DXT1 :)

Edited by Sgt_Krollnikow51, 12 October 2018 - 01:20 PM.

BlablaPaige #2489 Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:32 PM

Lieutenant General

• Clan Commander
  • 20797 battles
  • [N00T] N00T

The GMM seem to work fine, but the AO.......I have the same result with the AO modified and without them....Gosh since they introduced this paint system in game, the AO work with black magic

My change to the AO is just a white background, it make the camo appear totaly on the tank, and it make it more colorful, beacause with the black skin, the original camo were barrely visible 

http://image.noelsha...5-shot-1002.jpg

But now with their paint system, the only change I get with the AO is the dirt (and I'm not sur if it a real change or a bug due to the last update), the spread of the camo is due to a blue filter on the GMM file, but the colorfulness is now gone, so was the AO is used for now? 

http://image.noelsha...64-shot-038.jpg

Well I have a solution, its using the 3d of the tank before the paint mechanic, I've done that for some tier 10, but I'm not sure this is a "good" solution I can do the same to the Badger, 268v4 or 430u 

Edit: It look like the black par on the AO apply dirt

Edited by BlablaPaige, 12 October 2018 - 09:46 PM.

OzeTralopiteck #2490 Posted 21 October 2018 - 09:34 PM

Private

• Player
  • 9704 battles
  • [SCOR-] SCOR-

amx m4 49 from consol sooooooooooooo beautifull

Also tagged with Remodelling

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users