IS-3

IS-3 IS-3M

• Please log in to reply
1440 replies to this topic

Poll: IS-3 (2156 members have cast votes)

What equipment do you use on the IS-3?

1. Vertical Stabilizer Mk 2 (1117 votes [18.77%])

Percentage of vote: 18.77%

2. Improved Ventilation Class 3 (1199 votes [20.14%])

Percentage of vote: 20.14%

3. "Wet" Ammo Rack Class 2 (139 votes [2.34%])

Percentage of vote: 2.34%

4. Toolbox (180 votes [3.02%])

Percentage of vote: 3.02%

5. Large-Caliber Tank Gun Rammer (1798 votes [30.21%])

Percentage of vote: 30.21%

6. Large Spall Liner (129 votes [2.17%])

Percentage of vote: 2.17%

7. Fill Tanks with CO2 (19 votes [0.32%])

Percentage of vote: 0.32%

8. Enhanced Gun Laying Drive (770 votes [12.94%])

Percentage of vote: 12.94%

9. Cyclone Filter (17 votes [0.29%])

Percentage of vote: 0.29%

10. Coated Optics (102 votes [1.71%])

Percentage of vote: 1.71%

11. Binocular Teslescope (160 votes [2.69%])

Percentage of vote: 2.69%

12. Camouflage Net (215 votes [3.61%])

Percentage of vote: 3.61%

13. None (104 votes [1.75%])

Percentage of vote: 1.75%

What Consumables do you use on the IS-3?

1. Large Repair Kit (114 votes [1.90%])

Percentage of vote: 1.90%

2. Large First Aid Kit (91 votes [1.51%])

Percentage of vote: 1.51%

3. Extra Combat Rations (23 votes [0.38%])

Percentage of vote: 0.38%

4. Automatic Fire Extinguishers (170 votes [2.83%])

Percentage of vote: 2.83%

5. Lend-Lease Oil (52 votes [0.87%])

Percentage of vote: 0.87%

6. Small Repair Kit (1885 votes [31.38%])

Percentage of vote: 31.38%

7. Small First Aid Kit (1838 votes [30.60%])

Percentage of vote: 30.60%

8. Removed Speed Governor (94 votes [1.56%])

Percentage of vote: 1.56%

9. Manual Fire Extinguishers (1598 votes [26.60%])

Percentage of vote: 26.60%

10. None (142 votes [2.36%])

Percentage of vote: 2.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

Charcharo #1 Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:57 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 21323 battles
  • [ZER0] ZER0

POPULAR

Good day to all WOT players!
On today’s menu we have the IS-3 (AKA Object 702). This is a tier 8 soviet heavy tank that packs a punch powerful enough to shake those Tier 10 tanks. With this machine using the 122mm BL-9 you will finally be a threat to everything, even IS-7 and Maus tanks.
Previous tank: IS-2
http://forum.worldof...419#entry555419
Next tank: IS-8
http://forum.worldof...ic/220160-is-8/
Stock Tank Specs:
Posted Image
Upgrade tree:
Posted Image
Overview:
You start off with the 122mm D-2-5T gun, which you bring back from the KV-1S. Besides its decent damage, the gun doesn’t have enough penetration for a T8 tank and is so inaccurate that chances are you will hit the sun rather than what you were aiming for. After getting the BL9 you will have a dependable gun with decent penetration and good damage. The accuracy is improved a lot and you now have an actual chance of hitting even the moon. The IS-3 has decent frontal armor and since it’s sloped at a good angle it will deflect a relatively large amount of stuff. It side and rear are quite weak and will rarely bounce shots. Turret is well armored and the tank has a low profile, which makes it a harder target at range. Unfortunately, that means that at close ranges, bigger vehicles can hit the vulnerable roof of the IS-3. A good thing to note is that this is one of the fastest heavy tanks in the game. With its top speed of 38 km/h it can very well be used as a medium tank hunter, or an effective brawler.
Being a tier 8 heavy, IS-3 is your first high end tank. It can penetrate and kill EVERYTHING in the game if driven well.
Price: 2 568 500
Camouflage: Decent
Gun Elevation Arc: -5 / +23

Pros:
- Great damage, penetration and workable accuracy on the main gun.
- Decent frontal armor.
- Side armour has areas with spaced armour.
- Good turret armour.
- Good speed and maneuverability for a heavy tank.
Cons:
- Bad starting guns.
- Ammo rack damage.
- Very slow aiming and reload time with below average accuracy.
- Bad gun-depression.
- Frontal armor is almost paper to 205+ pen guns :(
Designation:
1. Warrior 2. Brawler 3. Steel Wall 4. Medium Tank Hunter 5. Sniper
Crew:
1. Commander (also a radioman) Posted Image
2. Gunner Posted Image
3. Driver Posted Image
4. Loader Posted Image
Use your IS-2 crew, it will save you some brain cells.
Modules:
Hull:
Armor scheme currently in use
Spoiler
The frontal armour is 110mm, but huge slope increases it greatly. Most tier 6,7 and even some tier 8 guns(except 88L71, it usually can penetrate you) will have problems going through this part of the tank. Weak spot is the belly bellow the tip of the pike. Its small, but can lead to an ammo rack explosion. Do know that you are gonna have to keep it PERFECTLY straight to the enemy, in order to achieve maximum protection. Dont slope yourself even further like the KT and T32 should, as it will make one of your plates much weaker.
Suspension:
1. IS-3 (stock) / Max.capacity 50.56 / Turn speed 27 degrees per sec.
2. IS-3M / Max.capacity 53.9 / Turn speed 30 deg per sec.

The suspension is not the first thing you need to get, but do consider it for an elite IS-3 as it does make a difference!
Engine:
V-11 – 650 h.p. – 15% chance for fire on impact
V-2-54IS – 700 h.p. – 12% chance for fire on impact

Overall, you have a pretty powerful and reliable engine. Unlocking it will help unlocking the rest of the Soviet line.
Radio:
10RK – range 440m
12RT – range 625m
R113 – range 730m

Suprisingly, getting a better radio soon is advisable this time. 440m is just not enough sometimes. Best radio is credit to the team tough.
Turrets:
1. Kirovets-1 (stock)
Armor 175/175/100
Rotation 28 deg / sec.
Review of 330 meters.
2. IS-3
Armour 249/172/100
Rotate 26 deg / sec.
Review of 350 meters.

I suggest getting the better turret ASAP. Its much tougher and can deflect quite a lot of shells from its front. The improved view range also helps quite a bit. Unfortunately, both turrets suffer from OMG AMMO RACK syndrome. The entire side and parts of its rear contains ammo, meaning that a powerful hit there may turn you into a wreck. Another problem, is that since your IS-3 is so small, (which also makes you a smaller target) any tank larger than you can shoot the top of your turret and penetrate easily when in CQC. Never believe you are safe when facehuggin a bigger tank.
Guns:
122mm D-2-5T and 122mm D-25T
RoF: 4,07-4,88
Penetration: 175/217/61
Average damage: 390/390/465
Accuracy (100m): 0,46
Aim time: 3,4

The first two 122mm guns are pretty similar, they only differ in the rate of fire, with the second one firing about 1 more round per minute. Do equip the D-25T as its 1 round that sometimes decides the outcome of a battle!
100mm D10T
You also have the 100mm D10T gun, which is basically worthless for this tank as it has the same penetrations as the 122mm ones and has a lower damage per minute ratio. Good for a tier 7 medium tank or the IS-2, but not here.
122mm BL-9
RoF: 4,51
Penetration: 225/265/68
Average damage: 390/390/465
Accuracy (100m): 0,40
Aim time: 3,4

The damage and cost is the same as the other 122mm guns, BUT you get 50 more penetration and 0.06 accuracy (that's a lot). This gun makes fighting T32 and Tiger 2 tanks much easier. You can finally penetrate their front as long as it aint too sloped. All tier 9 meds can be damaged and so can all tier 9 heavies if hit in the weak spots, usually lower hull. When confronted by something heavy like a Maus or an IS-7, try to hit their weak spots or load HE rounds. Researching this gun here and now will make the IS-8 and the ST-I an easier grind.
Premium ammo is APCR. This ammo type gets a normalization bonus against sloped armour just like normal AP and is usually relatively effective even against spaced armour . However, unlike HEAT ammo it loses penetration with distance. With 265 mm of pen, that is usually plenty to assure penetration even against tier 10 tank destroyers and heavy tanks, provided the IS-3 avoids their strong points.
Proposed upgrade path:
1. Suspension
2. BL-9
3. Turret
4. Engine
5. Radio (can also be number 3 or 4)
Comparison with its peers:
IS-3 vs KV-4
The IS-3 does more damage per shot and is also smaller. KV-4 has more health points and a mor accurate gun. The KV also has more armour, though mobility is inferior compared to the IS.
IS-3 vs Panzer VI Tiger ausf B
Both tanks have 225mm of penetration. IS-3 does more damage per shot than the Tiger, but fires slower and is not as accurate or as fast in aiming. The KT has better gun depression, more health points and is better at ramming. IS-3 has a slightly tougher turret and side armour, but weaker frontal and rear armour. It does have slightly smaller weak spots but cant angle itself as much as the Tiger 2.
In short:
IS-3 is better vs smaller tanks than KT, thanks to its all around armor.
King Tiger has a better frontal plate than the IS-3. It can be sloped too.
IS-3 is a faster vehicle, but the bigger KT can ram better.
IS-3s turret may be vulnerable up close, but its harder to damage than the KT at long range.
IS-3 has worse gun depression, accuracy RoF and aim time than KT, but superior damage and HE shells.

IS-3 vs VK 4502 (A)
Both tanks offer similar styles, but the IS-3 has better overall armor, though the VK can slope itself. The VK is slightly more agile and is a much better medium tank hunter than the IS-3. Its gun is more accurate, fires faster and aims faster, but loses in penetration and damage per shot. Its gun depression is slightly better.
IS-3 vs T32
T32 and IS3 are about equal in hull armor, but T32 has an invulnerable turret. IS3 has a superior gun in all stats except RoF and aim time. T-32 has better gun depression and is also not a slouch either.
In short:
IS-3 is again better vs small tanks thanks to side armor.
T32 can turret-hug Tier 10 tanks into submission.
T-32 has much better gun depression.
IS-3 gun is better than T-32 gun on almost all fronts.

Historical IS-3
Mounts the D-25T and IS-3 turret. The tank never saw action in Europe. However several of these beasts were shown on the Victory-Day Berlin Parade. Rumor is a regiment of IS-3’s was unleashed against the Japanese in Manchuria during the summer of 1945 and I think you get the rest...the word “meat-grinder” should go in there somewhere. The tank remained in service with the soviet army for about two more decades and a modernized version called the IS-3M appeared in 1960.
WoT Wiki:http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/IS-3
WARGAMING Official IS-3 review:http://www.youtube.c...e&v=XQFK6yARW70
WoT Armory report:http://wotarmory.com...tection-report/

Edited by Charcharo, 04 April 2014 - 07:26 PM.

shnbwmn #2 Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:47 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 13918 battles
Thanks for overcrowding my mind with too much info, dear sir!!   :blink:

Xmen #3 Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:40 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 19438 battles
Nice infos although kv-1s is faster than is-3 no ? so that make IS-3 the third in term of speed.

I find the Is-3 less forgiving than the IS and it play a slightly different role. Overall in term of gameplay IS is better balanced but as weaker top speed and a less bouncy frontal hull.  

For example IS3 sucks in corners with his angled hull so it's not a very good tank for holding a position or playing peekabooo. It's speed will also bring you in terrain without cover and it's nice long hull is perfect for arty and module loss are pretty bad. The bl-9 is better than dt-25 but is still not very reliable.

What the IS-3 does best is leading a charge and flanking enemies, playing it aggressively (but smart, not suicidally) can have pretty good results. Use your  slopped frontal armor to drive straight at enemies.
It's also very good at pairing up with other big tank like IS-3 IS-4 t-32 again using it's speed to quickly flank and overwhelm weaker/outnumbered enemies.
In low tier battle if you stay in center of the map (depend which one of course) you can quickly assist your teammate anywhere or go back to defend base and decide the outcome of the battle.
Again it's speed will allow you to take strategic point before any other heavies gets there.

So find ways to use it's speed otherwise you will have a pretty bad time in this baby.

Imaluk #4 Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:07 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 10930 battles
My experience so far with it:

The 122 you start of with from the IS really isn't up to the task. Penetration isn't high enough, accuracy is abysmal, but what really kills it is the aim time. 3 seconds vs the others tier 8s 2 seconds. I'm hoping the bl9 will help and I'm guessing it will. Use both stabilizer and gun laying drive and that does help quite a bit. But you really need that bl9.

Front armour is thin, yeah tier 7 and below will bounce a lot but even perfectly angled your front armour does nothing against other tier 8s, so while better then the IS ( don't think I've ever had a bounce of my IS front armour ) it's definetly not by much.

Speed isn't that high, it's agile enough, but top speed really isn't that impressive yet, I suspect this will get better once I upgrade tracks.

guguloi #5 Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:31 AM

Heart Smasher

• Player
  • 40897 battles

View PostXmen, on 15 June 2011 - 07:40 AM, said:

Again it's speed will allow you to take strategic point before any other heavies gets there.

So find ways to use it's speed otherwise you will have a pretty bad time in this baby.
Oh boy, I've forget to count how many times I've found myself alone in front of enemy's task force. I could not resist to push that forward key and run Forrest, run. :D
Is fast, is maneuverable and BL9 is a bless but front armor is penetrable and is prone to module damage and crew death.
Overall I've enjoyed it (especially with matchmaking system who loves IS-3 and put me in top of the list for ~90% of all those 372 matches played with it).
Now IS-4 is another beast...

Xmen #6 Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:59 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 19438 battles

View Postguguloi, on 15 June 2011 - 08:31 AM, said:

Oh boy, I've forget to count how many times I've found myself alone in front of enemy's task force. I could not resist to push that forward key and run Forrest, run. :D

Doesn't happen that much to me (anymore  ;)   ) except when i rush to take hill on Karelia for example (most important route to control) and i found that most heavies went on the field on other side of the map. Of course those tank are slow tank that will camp there for the entire map until they get flanked cuz my front is broken.

9/10 those tank are Lowes and very often in platoon, so many Lowes player have no sense of tactics yet some are pretty good but when i ve 5 Lowes in my team I'm like "oh sh*t not again" .

sego #7 Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:18 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 10856 battles
again, great job Charcharo!  :Smile_honoring:

I heard from my clan mate that IS-3 is the worst thing in terms of credits ... you easy will loose credits also by win battles ... what is your experience with this?

Arkhell #8 Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:29 AM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 10637 battles

View PostXmen, on 15 June 2011 - 08:59 AM, said:

Doesn't happen that much to me (anymore  ;)   ) except when i rush to take hill on Karelia for example (most important route to control) and i found that most heavies went on the field on other side of the map. Of course those tank are slow tank that will camp there for the entire map until they get flanked cuz my front is broken.

9/10 those tank are Lowes and very often in platoon, so many Lowes player have no sense of tactics yet some are pretty good but when i ve 5 Lowes in my team I'm like "oh sh*t not again" .

lowes don't have much choice in the matter.

- up hill this thing makes bay jezus cry.
- shooting down  hill makes baby jezus cry some more because it ahs absolutly no gundepression what so ever.

so they work best on the flat pieces of ground.

allmost got my IS elite now looking forward to try this tank, faced it a lot on the front in beta and now in live seen some pretty amazing things done with this tank, but i know how easy every usefull gun knocks trough it's frontplate and side turret shtos tend to ammorack it.

Atren #9 Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:58 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 9874 battles
Speaking of turret is there more to turret choice beside the visible numbers?

Charcharo #10 Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:20 AM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 21323 battles
  • [ZER0] ZER0

View Postsego, on 15 June 2011 - 10:18 AM, said:

again, great job Charcharo!  :Smile_honoring:

I heard from my clan mate that IS-3 is the worst thing in terms of credits ... you easy will loose credits also by win battles ... what is your experience with this?
Thank you Sego, but its not ready yet  :Smile_honoring:  Finishing it now.
And, i disagree, IS-3 aint that bad credit-wise. I was making credits with it even without premium. With premium its a nice money-maker (KV-5 and Lowe and M6 are still better ...)

Paaranoja #11 Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:57 AM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 27023 battles
  • [KAZNA] KAZNA
nice review, i would add just one extra downside: almost no gun depression, but it does prepare you for is7 :)

Dynellen #12 Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:47 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 1368 battles
Could perhaps mention it's horrible gun depression and the unique double-sloped frontal armor, both of which heavily affect the tactics that should be used with this tank, it's one of the few tanks where engaging enemies straight is preferable to angling yourself. This also makes the tank rather vulnerable in city maps and hiding games since you'll have to show less than ideal armor angle to be able to shoot the enemy when driving from behind obstacles.

Imaluk #13 Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:38 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 10930 battles
Actually straight works... but if you are quick at moving back and forward, 90 degrees works as well. Extremely risky though, easy to get tracked or get shot in side hull. Most people are trigger happy though and will shoot your perfect angle armor. ;-)

JayL #14 Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:52 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 2639 battles
Very good guide you got there brother. Nice work, I am expecting one for IS-4 soon!  :)

Just got my fresh IS-3 and that thing feels so cool. By the way I'd suggest you recommend readers to research V-2-54IS while in IS-2. I made my IS elite before getting IS-3 and it helped me a lot!

UND3RTAK3R #15 Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:40 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 34372 battles
First,
Hello everybody
I'm new here and i have 1 question.I have IS now and i am close to get IS3.I want to retrain my crew but I don't see the option to do this.I can retrain them for a Churchill a KV-220(!!!!!!!!!!) or a KV-5.So i am a bit confused...Can someone help me?

JayL #16 Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:07 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 2639 battles

View PostUND3RTAK3R, on 17 June 2011 - 01:40 AM, said:

First,
Hello everybody
I'm new here and i have 1 question.I have IS now and i am close to get IS3.I want to retrain my crew but I don't see the option to do this.I can retrain them for a Churchill a KV-220(!!!!!!!!!!) or a KV-5.So i am a bit confused...Can someone help me?

Make sure you have researched the IS-3.

UND3RTAK3R #17 Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:48 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 34372 battles

View PostJayL, on 17 June 2011 - 02:07 AM, said:

Make sure you have researched the IS-3.
Thanks,it worked.

UND3RTAK3R #18 Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:38 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 34372 battles
Me again with another question.
I have IS 3 now but i want to go fast to IS 4 so should i research and buy the BL 9?It will get me more creds and exp than D25T?I mean much more?Or should I keep the 44k exp to reach faster the 168k exp for the IS 4?
Thx in advance for any advice.

Existencia_81 #19 Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:55 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 34395 battles
  • [-B3C-] -B3C-
I think the BL9 pays the effort; you enjoy a great gun that you will need indeed in the IS4. Moreover the IS3 is a great tank IMHO and with this gun you do more damage = gain more exp.

willTell #20 Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:59 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 10108 battles
the D25T is rather horrible, even in T8 fights.
The 2nd thing is, you will use the BL9 in IS-4, too.
And you don't want to grind the extra 44k for the BL9 in your IS-4....that would be horrible.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users