The M5 Stuart..

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

Desyatnik_Pansy #1 Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:24 AM

Bartender

• 18875 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

I'm a little ****. I'll admit it. I literally feel the need to write a wall of text after I do literally any change to my garage. Literally! Maybe I'll make a thread even when I fire that one guy dropping the wrench!

Alrighty, jokes aside. Onto the subject.

Ages ago, after a bad time with Tier IV Scouts, I begun training a crew for the M5 Stuart using the M2 Light (again, genius plan!). Recently, I have been using that crew very little in the M2 and more in the M22 Locust (to the great demise of the poor Radio Operator). They've since been retrained to the M3 Stuart and I imagine I'll retrain them to the M5, probably tomorrow. So, the crew then;

Spoiler

Yep, my only crew who actually have a skill fully trained right now. I'm happy about that. A bit too much maybe. So, I plan on moving this crew up the M5 Stuart; only issue is the M5 Has 5 Crew, not 4. But hey, I'll improvise. So, the tank this crew will be moving into, the jolly M5. The condition of the tank?

Spoiler

Summing the picture up; fully upgraded, only things to research are the M7 and the Chaffee. So, simple question; how the hell am I going to play this tank? As you can see, my equipment is Vents, EGLD and Coated Optics. Is that something of a valid choice? Would it be perhaps ideal to switch out any of those for something like camonet to add on to the camo on the crew, make it better for passive spotting?

I can probably already imagine the concept of playing it. Rush to early position, spot enemy team, try to generally keep out of fire and if I really, REALLY have to, get some opportunistic shots off; preferably on targets of opportunity. Game progresses, use my speed to locate and perhaps harass the last few enemy tanks (of course, that's assuming my spotting earlier is decent and my team are competent). Probably an idea to play it a LOT less aggressive than I ever play in my Luchs, since I imagine the howitzer is only really punchy against the more glass-armoured tanks (Pz. Sfl IVc, Nashorn, y'know..); don't be an idiot, there is no way I can hurt a KV-3 Frontally and shooting will just get me spotted. Hell I shouldn't even be in a position to really have to engage one frontally now should I?

So yeah, a little assistance where available. :tongue:

And yes, I know the M5 Is apparently getting changed in 9.3. That's actually more of a reason I pushed getting this tank which so long I have put off purchasing.

Harland #2 Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:55 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16648 battles

View PostDesyatnik_Pansy, on 27 August 2014 - 03:24 AM, said:

Would it be perhaps ideal to switch out any of those for something like camonet to add on to the camo on the crew, make it better for passive spotting?

Yes, the M5 Stuart is an excellent passive scout. Put camonet and binos on it, find a nice position behind some bushes and spot. That way you can get a lot of spotting damage. And don't shoot at anything, that will just get you spotted. If you hold your fire, you will be almost invisible, unless the enemies come very close. Sixth sense for the commander is very helpful here.

Later in the game you can become more aggressive, do some cautious active scouting, hunt enemy arty and take opportunity shots at lightly armoured tanks/TDs (the howitzer is ideal for that). 

At least that's how I played it and it was quite fun.

Bortasqu #3 Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:56 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 1082 battles

Good luck durping Matildas, you're gonna use a lot of shells on one of them alone. Imagine higher tiers.

Really, this tank is not a keeper. Stay with the M2/M3 if you liked it.

arnorwarrior #4 Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:57 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 15944 battles

When I played it (a few patches ago), I used camo net, vents and binocs. Just drove to the biggest bush between the two teams and started camping passive spotting. Didn't even consider firing that gun until at least half the enemies were dead. After that, I usually started active scouting or arty hunting.

Just add as many camo and view range skills/equipment on it as possible and it's a great spotter.

Edited by arnorwarrior, 27 August 2014 - 02:59 AM.

Dr_LoVe69_makesWoTgreat #5 Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:58 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Clan Commander
  • 56187 battles

I think your equipment setup is fine(put cammo paint). You should use fuel(normal or prem) instead of fire est - scouts need that extra horse power and most tanks that you face will one shot you anyway.

You should also pack some gold rounds, they will not damage enemy tanks, but they will be great for fighting enemy scouts.

And how much dmg you can do with derp HE check my replay in signature:teethhappy:

Naboo #6 Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:24 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22222 battles

You should hurry up though, since M5 gets nerfed in 9.3 and loses the howitzer:

M5 Stuart changes

M5 turret and guns get changed (amongst other changes)

If you have the Stuart unlocked:

- 37mm Gun M6 will be unlocked in any case
- if you have the elite turret unlocked, you will also get the 37mm Gun T16 unlocked

If you have the Stuart in the garage:

- shells will be moved to the depot
- if you have the 20mm Hispano-Suiza gun installed, you will get 37mm Gun M6 instead
- if you have the 75mm M3 instealled, you will get 37mm T16 instead

nakkipeppu #7 Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:09 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 34084 battles
  • [LGGF] LGGF

The xp requirement to grind Chaffee will drop come patch 9.3 - if you dread the grind now, do it after the patch and you'll probably save something like 30k xp doing so. 

I played M5 stuart first when I started playing. I had pz38na, A-20 and M5 just lined up and suicidescouted them in turns. I did try not to get killed intentionally, but I was usually back to garage in roughly 3 minutes. I imagine you don't want to do that. Bought the M5 again much later, this time, I actually liked it. Semi-decent crews, gold ammo for credits and experience really helped it.

Your crew looks fine, apart from lack of camo for the radioman Your choice of gun is good, you want something like 10 HE and 30 HEAT though if you want to get through it quickly. The ability to deal any sort of damage to high tiers will boost your XP gain (75mm doesn't just cut it with HE at these tiers) - when I (re)played it you still got in to tier8 matches, but even in tier6 matches, the HE just doesn't pack enough punch to deal any sort of meaningful damage even if you ram it down KV-1Ss' exhaust pipe. It will have trouble even with many of the arties you encounter. You have something ridiculous like 20 degrees of gun depression, use that - you can often fire at the enemies with no chance of retaliation. Murder absolutely everything when you land in a tier 4 match. I'd pick cola over gas for consumables, but I guess that's personal preference. Prepare to hemorrhage credits. I guess any combination of vents/rammer/binos/optics/camo net will work depending on your preference, just pick the equipment that suits your playstyle on it. I *think* I equipped it with vents+rammer+binocs. 

And yes, add camo paint with credits. If you want to be frugal, just get the summer paint. 

Desyatnik_Pansy #8 Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:42 AM

Bartender

• 18875 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View Postedger2020, on 27 August 2014 - 02:58 AM, said:

I think your equipment setup is fine(put cammo paint). You should use fuel(normal or prem) instead of fire est - scouts need that extra horse power and most tanks that you face will one shot you anyway.

You should also pack some gold rounds, they will not damage enemy tanks, but they will be great for fighting enemy scouts.

Only reason I don't have camo paint on is because I'll probably put it on just before I play the first game. Buying it a day prior just kinda wastes a bit of time. :tongue:

Also, 32 HE, 8 HEAT Perhaps? 

View PostNaboo, on 27 August 2014 - 07:24 AM, said:

You should hurry up though, since M5 gets nerfed in 9.3 and loses the howitzer:

It's actually a reason which has made me purchase the M5 Prior to 9.3. Guess the best way to describe my reaction to the 9.3 Notes;

"Oh, they're changing the M5. I've had that researched for like a year now. Why don't I try it before the update. Nah, I'll probably hate it.. ah what the hell.."

:hiding:

View Postnakkipeppu, on 27 August 2014 - 10:09 AM, said:

I played M5 stuart first when I started playing. I had pz38na, A-20 and M5 just lined up and suicidescouted them in turns. I did try not to get killed intentionally, but I was usually back to garage in roughly 3 minutes. I imagine you don't want to do that. Bought the M5 again much later, this time, I actually liked it. Semi-decent crews, gold ammo for credits and experience really helped it.

Played the 38 nA and M5A1 Stuart when I had just around probably 500 Battles, with 75% Crews. I wouldn't try to suicide into the enemy, but often I'd just be in a bad situation. I did even manage to get myself teamkilled twice for "not skautink!"; because, y'know, suicide scouting is only scouting. :veryhappy:

Your crew looks fine, apart from lack of camo for the radioman

I'd probably changes repairs to camo, but 'course, it'll drop down by some amount (80% If I'm cheap, 90% If I pay a bit, which I probably will; that drops it from 74% To 44%) and I'd first like to just test it a bit before I decide to do something like that. 

Your crew looks fine, apart from lack of camo for the radioman Your choice of gun is good, you want something like 10 HE and 30 HEAT though if you want to get through it quickly. The ability to deal any sort of damage to high tiers will boost your XP gain (75mm doesn't just cut it with HE at these tiers) - when I (re)played it you still got in to tier8 matches, but even in tier6 matches, the HE just doesn't pack enough punch to deal any sort of meaningful damage even if you ram it down KV-1Ss' exhaust pipe. It will have trouble even with many of the arties you encounter. You have something ridiculous like 20 degrees of gun depression, use that - you can often fire at the enemies with no chance of retaliation. Murder absolutely everything when you land in a tier 4 match. I'd pick cola over gas for consumables, but I guess that's personal preference. Prepare to hemorrhage credits. I guess any combination of vents/rammer/binos/optics/camo net will work depending on your preference, just pick the equipment that suits your playstyle on it. I *think* I equipped it with vents+rammer+binocs. 

Oh I've already been throwing credits everywhere lately. Dropped from 21 Million to 13+ Million now. I'm hoping to get a bit of that back, but hey, 13 Million is still a pretty fair amount of credits to work with.

Dr_LoVe69_makesWoTgreat #9 Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:27 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Clan Commander
  • 56187 battles

View PostDesyatnik_Pansy, on 27 August 2014 - 12:42 PM, said:

Also, 32 HE, 8 HEAT Perhaps? 

That will do (8-10):tongue:

BigFellas_Dad #10 Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:33 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 45338 battles
I hated and sold the M5 Stuart, however the M5A1 stuart is a beast in comparison, chinese tree of course but lots of fun all the same.

azakow #11 Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:42 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 84804 battles

The Relay skill on the RO is very generous towards your team.

I would be more selfish and get camo and Situational awarenes skill for the RO to teak the view range.

Troubledove #12 Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:39 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 45351 battles
  • [KOFF] KOFF

Today I had awesome match on Sand River encounter in random game. I was on M5 Stuart and one player on our team had M5A1 (not platooning, just random dude on random game). We were only ones going to south and past the capture zone... It turned out we duo'd very well together. I scouted forward, he took sniping positions and we constantly pressed onwards. When closing in I stopped scouting and went full berzerk with 75mm close and personal when enemy was distracted by M5A1 that had been the active shooter earlier.

These tanks play really well together since they have same mobility but different roles.

Match ended with us two sharing 10 kills total, we wiped south, middle and east part of the map and enemy wiped rest of the team and won by capture but not before I earned my defender trophy on attempt to stop the cap. 

Synergy between these two vehicles is awesome. Try it.

Galleoth #13 Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:50 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14756 battles
My only question is why is this disgraceful tank in the game?

no_name_cro #14 Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:19 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 18939 battles

View PostDesyatnik_Pansy, on 27 August 2014 - 03:24 AM, said:

Summing the picture up; fully upgraded, only things to research are the M7 and the Chaffee. So, simple question; how the hell am I going to play this tank? As you can see, my equipment is Vents, EGLD and Coated Optics. Is that something of a valid choice? Would it be perhaps ideal to switch out any of those for something like camonet to add on to the camo on the crew, make it better for passive spotting?

I can probably already imagine the concept of playing it. Rush to early position, spot enemy team, try to generally keep out of fire and if I really, REALLY have to, get some opportunistic shots off; preferably on targets of opportunity. Game progresses, use my speed to locate and perhaps harass the last few enemy tanks (of course, that's assuming my spotting earlier is decent and my team are competent). Probably an idea to play it a LOT less aggressive than I ever play in my Luchs, since I imagine the howitzer is only really punchy against the more glass-armoured tanks (Pz. Sfl IVc, Nashorn, y'know..); don't be an idiot, there is no way I can hurt a KV-3 Frontally and shooting will just get me spotted. Hell I shouldn't even be in a position to really have to engage one frontally now should I?

So yeah, a little assistance where available. :tongue:

Camo net, binos and coated optics. You have camo skill and 6th sense. All you need for proper scouting.(I'm not pro scout like Tazilon so I keep my scouting safe - passive, in a bush and far from being spotted) It works on some maps, on others, well, not so good. That's why you should have coated optics. As I recall, M5 isn't really agile or has any significant HP so keeping yourself unspotted is way to go IMO. Armor and the gun - it's a scout, although 75mm can pen something and hurt them :)

That's my 2 cents. 

MetalManiac69 #15 Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23425 battles

And here's my 2 cents:

http://wotreplays.com/site/1136627#arctic_region-metalmaniac69-m5_stuart

it's a great little bugger, I run it with vents, optics and binos with an old crew from hellcat with 4 skills...

Sgt_Guffy #16 Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:25 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 22919 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostHarland, on 27 August 2014 - 02:55 AM, said:

Yes, the M5 Stuart is an excellent passive scout. Put camonet and binos on it, find a nice position behind some bushes and spot. That way you can get a lot of spotting damage. And don't shoot at anything, that will just get you spotted. If you hold your fire, you will be almost invisible, unless the enemies come very close. Sixth sense for the commander is very helpful here.

Later in the game you can become more aggressive, do some cautious active scouting, hunt enemy arty and take opportunity shots at lightly armoured tanks/TDs (the howitzer is ideal for that). 

At least that's how I played it and it was quite fun.

I have just researched the Chaffee tonight. A mighty long grind! I agree with Harland, if you get the opportunity, that depends on what map you get, then you can rack up the XP with passive scouting , or spotting as I call it. However, get a poor map or built up area and your function hits a grey area. It is essential you do not attract the enemy's attention. The high explosive shells are okay for tracking, module/ crew damage, but derp it aint! Its a long grind. Good for those who are awaiting the upgrade, but for me I was at the point of no return, so I grit my teeth and went for it. I hope the chaffee is worth it!!

Have fun. :smiles:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users