Are there any other oldies playing, or is it just me...?

• Please log in to reply
348 replies to this topic

Trillock1945 #1 Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:13 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 14101 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

POPULAR

I am 68 years, with the name of 'Trillock1945' I used to be called something else by people I know, as it started of with a 'P' so I changed that to a 'Tr'

I have only been playing for a couple of months now after discovering the game.

For me, I just play for fun and am not interested in my 'stats' as I gave up worrying about that after starting off playing UT99 G.O.T.Y Edition, and amongst other games progressed through the BFseries up until BF3, and am rather used to being called a 'Noob', which I have probably earned many times over.

I started playing the German line, as I rather like German tanks, and like many I guess, I wanted a Tiger or Tiger II.

Now I know differently.

Since I have handicapped myself by having a bit of a tremor in my right mouse hand, I have to use my left hand to steady it to fire, (yeah I know, sob story excuse) so I have moved to the TD line, with the Hetzer,, Stug IIIG, (with one tank the VK30.01), plus the American as far as the T25AT , British to AT8, the and Russian lines, and have just unlocked the SU100 and working towards the 122mm top gun, but find the 100m gun ok for me.

I find that being stationery (like I was in BF3 as a Machine Gunner) is the only way I can play, so no 'running and gunning' for me, as I cannot hit a target whilst on the move.

I will have days of really cruddy games, and barely get my 'daily double', and other days I do quite well. If I am on bad team then I sort of lose heart, but do my best, but on a good team I do far better and enjoy it.

As a TD player I try to find spots to support the team ahead of me, and clobbering some tank that is giving one of the team a hard time, pleases me a lot.

Anyway, I just thought I would say 'hello' and as I play every day (being retired helps) I hope I can help you out on the greens..

Lemacque #2 Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:19 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9291 battles

Good to see someone having fun in the game for once, too many whiners!

At 40 i wouldn't class myself as an oldie yet, but I know what you mean.

Keep it up & I'll see you out there!

warhamsterdave #3 Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:20 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 13747 battles
  • [W-UNI] W-UNI

I do not know how you decide oldie, but I am 45, been playing for a year (cannot play when working away as the band width is poor on ships).

I also play "the other tank game" and mech warrior online.

I do play for fun but also find that trying to improve my play is part of the fun. I have good days and bad days, losing when i play well does not bother me, losing when i play baddly does make me vexed, haha.

Good luck with your tds.

Dave

BigFellas_Dad #4 Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:23 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 39733 battles
Hi there, glad to see you enjoy the game and TDs in particular.... get your self one of them ISU-152's or Ferdi's and wreck.  Im a young 47 by the way.

Edited by BigFellas_Dad, 27 August 2014 - 02:26 PM.

lord_chipmonk #5 Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:34 PM

General

• Player
  • 29992 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

My (soon to be) father-in-law plays, so you are not the only person over the age of 25 playing (or however you want to define old :tongue:).

Best of luck and I hope you enjoy the game. 

Trillock1945 #6 Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:37 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 14101 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Many thanks for all the replies, as it is heartening that anyone takes the time to reply...:)

I tried the German TD's to the Stug IIIG, and then the next one up Pz IV (or something, didn't like it, and sold it) and then looked at something else, I would like a Ferdi, but the thought of the grind rather puts me off, the the Premium Dicker Max could be interesting.

At the beginning I had the Premium TD25, and the Panther/M10, but got fed up with them after a while and sold them off, but I may give the TD25 another go, because I am slightly getting at hitting the enemy now, but not a lot.

Then I tried the British line, with the Matilda (love it) the AT2 (love it) and then the AT8 (not very sure about this one) and I don't think I will proceed any further up the line.

Then I tried out the Russian line, and finally found a TD with guns that could hit back which encouraged me. Yes, paper thin armour, but for me good guns, so have now progressed to SU100. I am not sure about progressing further because I will be getting into higher tiers, and I have enough troubles just playing against tier 8 on some games.

I have one American tank, the M6, but I am having a very bad time with it, and the reason I don't jack it in and sell it, is because I am slowly grinding up to the T29. How I will fare if I get it I don't know.

Anyway I just play it for fun and if I am on a winning team, that's great, but I am usually on the losing team and am pleased if I manage to get one kill before exploding in flames.

But, it all adds a few extra silver and XP points.

I can get called a 'noob' a lot, mostly from some player who is dead, knows it all, and moans because I am the last player alive trying to defend the base, and lose in a two on one battle..........I get one of the blighters first though. :)

Gamer_synapse #7 Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:37 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 101 battles

The average age is 30 and going up, so

Trillock1945 #8 Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:41 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 14101 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Good, at least it is not full of 12 year olds...:)

I just kick myself because my reflexes (especially my hand) do not work as they once did, and I would be a better player otherwise............well, I like to think so.

warhamsterdave #9 Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:43 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 13747 battles
  • [W-UNI] W-UNI

The M6 is one of my fav mid tier heavy tanks (I am collecting the whole usa tree at the mo).

If you want to ad me to your in game friend list we can pltn up in the m6's for a few games and maybe my average skills can help you in some way. When top tier you can be a bit of a bully with the top gun, bottom tier then I play it like a support medium tank.

Dave

InsaneShike #10 Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:48 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 66073 battles

Block Quote

I have one American tank, the M6, but I am having a very bad time with it, and the reason I don't jack it in and sell it, is because I am slowly grinding up to the T29. How I will fare if I get it I don't know.

You will love theT29. 

BTW I'm 54.

BigFellas_Dad #11 Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:49 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 39733 battles

View PostTrillock1945, on 27 August 2014 - 03:41 PM, said:

Good, at least it is not full of 12 year olds...:)

My 9yr old son carries me quite often in low tier games and is formidable in his Ferdi (Dad had to grind the upgrades though!)

The Dicker Max is a great TD *if* you can find an elevated ridge to shoot from as that gun depression is fantastic.  My son ACE'd his first go last week when I bought it for him

The M6, thats a very good alternative to the KV1S when you have the 90mm mounted, it has strong AP and VERY strong APCR rounds, not as much alpha as the KV1S but a quicker aiming and reloading gun.  When in a hull down position you can make fun of KV1Ss with it, persevere!

Edited by BigFellas_Dad, 27 August 2014 - 02:51 PM.

Trillock1945 #12 Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:57 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 14101 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Thanks.

That's the only reason I am keeping the M6 and spend some time trying to get it through the 'daily double', but I don't really have any fun with it. I have seen Jingles video on it, and he plays it just fine, it's only me that cannot...:(

But, I will get the T29 eventually, and just hope it works for me.

Dave, I may just do that, and I am sure that running with a good player will help my confidence in it no end. It's just one of those tanks that I just seem to fail in, and I begin to hate it, even though I was and polish it every weekend so it's nice an shiny............doesn't help though.

The 'mm' usually puts me at the bottom of the list, so I am not encouraged to start off with...:)

I have the game running at the moment (still trying to get my Hetzer through the 'daily double', so will add your name and see what happens.............you may never speak to me again if we team up...:)

Roy.

Outfielder #13 Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:00 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 23591 battles
  • [TEC] TEC
I know of at least one other 68 y/o.....and it's not me. I am 48, so just call me Junior!

CrochetyOldGit #14 Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:03 PM

Private

• Player
  • 30901 battles
  • [R_SSX] R_SSX

Don't worry - I'm catching up with you ! Only 56.

Our tanking days started with making Airfix kits and a blanket with cushions under for terrain and a box of 48 Airfix infantry (often unpainted) , all on the bedroom floor.

Who knew how far it would come, eh?

( speaking of Airfix kits, used to have a dozen or so aircraft  drawing pinned to the bedroom ceiling - now we have WoW .............................)

CrochetyOldGit

(don't you love the names that step-grand kids give you !)

Steffenximus #15 Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:14 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 10875 battles

View PostInsaneShike, on 27 August 2014 - 03:48 PM, said:

You will love theT29. 

And the nice MM it gets. Get ready to fight IS-3 and E-75 all the time.

Trillock1945 #16 Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:16 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 14101 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Ha, that brings back the memories....I used to get Airfix kits when I was a nipper back in the 1950's, and continued making models through my RAF days, and also had fighters British and German hanging from the ceiling in our four man room out in RAF Akrotiri, and that was in the mid 1960's. I think the last models I made were tanks (German, naturally) with a wired motorised Tiger I and airbrushed paint job, but that was in the 1980's.

As for names, I am usually called 'Victor Meldrew', or just plain 'Grumpy old git', and either suits me just fine....

I suppose I had a go at 12 year olds, because I am just jealous that they can knock spots (or seven bells) of me in the game.

I still cannot get my Hetzer through for double points...bah humbug....

Trillock1945 #17 Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:17 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 14101 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostSteffenximus, on 27 August 2014 - 03:14 PM, said:

And the nice MM it gets. Get ready to fight IS-3 and E-75 all the time.

When I finally get it, I will probably find I am a complete disaster in it, and all my dreams will be shattered....:)

lmariox #18 Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:42 PM

Private

• Player
  • 12936 battles
  • [LTUTG] LTUTG

I'm 45 year oldie too and I love this game,

sometimes thinking more then I should,  but so far it's good fun and I do enjoy it ;)

Trillock1945 #19 Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:46 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 14101 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I seem to spend a bit of time after a battle, berating myself over all my mistakes that got me killed....like not pulling back in cover after firing and upsetting an enemy, because then arty likes to sent me presents which hurt............usually, a lot.

I am all clever after a battle as to what I should have done, but never managed to do it at the time.................hey ho, I will learn, eventually.

40-50 years old ? You are sill all puppies, and I am jealous because your bodies work, and nothing has stopped working or fallen off yet....:)

olukej #20 Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:52 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 100 battles
[edited]

Edited by BigBadVuk, 09 September 2014 - 05:09 PM.
This post has been edited by a member of the Moderation Team, due to inappropriate content. An official notification has also been sent. BigBadVuk

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users