I'm enjoying the A-20...

a-20 fun help me

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Mazzyandmilk #1 Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:44 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 2192 battles

Hello everyone. I'm trying to get to the T-34 via the A-20 (which I've heard is a bad tank) and I'm actually having some degree of enjoyment playing the thing... I was originally going to go through the T-80 to get the T-34, but then I noticed the amount of XP required to get it (it's pretty big, about 5,000 more) and seeing that, I went to the T-50. The XP was still more than the A-20, but I didn't care - I just wanted the T-34. I looked around a bit, and after looking at the T-50's stock configuration (help me) I discovered it was nerfed. Then I discovered that the A-20 had its scout matchmaking removed (the reason why I didn't want to play it in the first place) and I bought it.

After struggling with the stock gun, I got the top turret and the 45mm VT-42 (luckily for me, it was already unlocked). I noticed something interesting: I was having fun with the A-20. No matter how bad I am at using the tank or playing the game in general, I just liked zipping around and doing some damage. It's not really fun if you have to fight KV-1Ss (I'm so glad that's going soon) but that isn't that often...

My platoon mate plays the A-20 with me, and he hates the tank so much. We use voice communication, and I can always hear him complaining about the tank. Granted, it isn't very good, but oh well. It's fun, right? Not for my platoon mate... He just recently got the M3 Lee... ha.

So, I guess I'll wrap it up. I'm enjoying the A-20, just got the top engine on it (might as well have it for the T-34) and I'm planning on eliting it before I move onto the T-34. I just need to know if I'm normal.

Eila_Juutilainen #2 Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:24 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 21476 battles
  • [102ND] 102ND
It's bearable now that it's not a scout anymore.

Mazzyandmilk #3 Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:34 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 2192 battles

View PostEila_Juutilainen, on 01 September 2014 - 01:24 PM, said:

It's bearable now that it's not a scout anymore.

Yeah, I've found that. Definitely wouldn't have played it if it was still a scout.

Skye_Tank_Dog #4 Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:25 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4746 battles

got this as a way to the T-34 and i am actually really enjoying it :smile:     maybe not the best when your in t5/6 games the gun struggles. Got all the modules no bother and now going for the t-34:izmena:

Might keep the tank after i have elited it. Maybe anyway haha

Dutchmul #5 Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:28 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 24015 battles
Does the A20 still catch fire if someone looks at it?

Mazzyandmilk #6 Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:38 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 2192 battles

View PostDutchmul, on 06 October 2014 - 09:28 PM, said:

Does the A20 still catch fire if someone looks at it?

I don't think it does. Mine hasn't caught fire (yet).

anonym_kL7qtn3e52MB #7 Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:27 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 0 battles

It doesn't get "Scout MM" for a reason (not good enough for the role)

It is not as good anymore. They lowered the viewrange considerably, but also gave it regular MM (for a reason)

Use it as an ambusher or like an emergency vehicle (filling in gaps and assisting other tanks).

The speed makes it perfect for that.

I used the "removed speed governor" a lot with this tank.

It damages your tank's engine every second you have it on, so use it sparingly.

I used it a lot (as in, almost in every match, but still sparingly) because I felt I didn't get set on fire often.

Use it only when your speed going up a hill drops too low (so assist for hill climbing) and in tight spots, circling heavies.

That is when you take advantage of the removed governer.

Anyway.

Edited by Spek_en_Bonen, 15 October 2014 - 12:28 PM.

Mazzyandmilk #8 Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:04 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 2192 battles

View PostSpek_en_Bonen, on 15 October 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:

It is not as good anymore. They lowered the viewrange considerably, but also gave it regular MM (for a reason)

Use it as an ambusher or like an emergency vehicle (filling in gaps and assisting other tanks).

I used it a lot (as in, almost in every match, but still sparingly) because I felt I didn't get set on fire often.

Use it only when your speed going up a hill drops too low (so assist for hill climbing) and in tight spots, circling heavies.

Anyway.

Thank you for the useful information!

GS_Guderian #9 Posted 27 November 2014 - 03:15 PM

Colonel

• Beta Tester
  • 68643 battles
  • [GS_] GS_

View PostSpek_en_Bonen, on 15 October 2014 - 11:27 AM, said:

Anyway.

1. View range never got nerfed. 

2. Elite A-20 owns tier 4-6 on open maps.

http://wotreplays.co...s_guderian-a-20

3. It can still scout perfectly, depending on map:

http://wotreplays.co...s_guderian-a-20

StuffKnight #10 Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:26 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 34799 battles
  • [_RBP_] _RBP_
I had the damn thing when it was still being shoved around with Scout MM, but still found it fairly fun to zip around and draw attention. Great when it got the occasional regular MM though, deceptively dangerous tank when your timing's right.

Snake_Keeper #11 Posted 06 October 2016 - 06:57 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10383 battles
Well, for the longest time I swore I wouldn't get a single Soviet tank...then I watched the movie "White Tiger", and the T-34...just became irresistible. And on my way there, the A-20 is just a blast. I picked the 76mm with HE, and while initially I cursed it cause I was using the Panzer IV. H with 105mm strategy of don't aim, and just fire at center of mass, after killing a few tanks with just a single shot with it with some careful aiming, I'm loving the tank, and the gun.

Nuppiz #12 Posted 10 October 2016 - 10:58 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 30597 battles
  • [KOFF] KOFF
Fun little tank. I just bought the A-20 during the recent LT discount as it was the last tier 2-4 Soviet LT I hadn't driven yet. Yes, it sounds a bit crazy to go through all three paths leading to the T-34, but I like driving as many different tanks as possible, and the A-20 allows me to train a radio operator for the MT-25. As with the T-50 and T-80 before, my gun of choice is the 45 mm VT-42 because I prefer guns with good penetration and high RoF over better alpha. At first I struggled quite lot and wasn't very useful for my team, but then I realised just how fast the tank is and now I'm doing quite effective scouting in higher-tier matches while being well-prepared to dish out some punishment when the opportunity arises. With a bit of luck it's perfectly possible to beeline into the enemy base and wreak havoc among their arties before no-one really even notices. Although the manouverability isn't all that great, I still think it's the best scout from all three tier IV Soviet LTs thanks to the massive top speed and regular matchmaking (unlike the T-50, which isn't that fast and sees tier VII every now and then...). Of course there's practically no armor compared to the other two, but I'll take the extra mobility over that any day.

Edited by Nuppiz, 10 October 2016 - 10:58 PM.

Nuppiz #13 Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:47 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 30597 battles
  • [KOFF] KOFF
And just to drive in the point: http://wotreplays.co...iff-nuppiz-a-20

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users