T-54 Light Tank

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

Mr_Sukebe #21 Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:24 PM

Major

• Player
  • 32381 battles
  • [ZOLO] ZOLO

What about using this is team battles?  Don't have to worry about being given scout MM and therefore directly up against mediums like the T44 and T-34-2.  Can't help but think that it's looking pretty good there.

Of course it'll be up against AMX 50 100s and IS3s, but could be an interesting wolfpack tank.

Luck0r #22 Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:28 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3284 battles
Since it does not even have Light Camo while driving i don't see the Point in driving this thing in Teambattles.

Search_Warrant #23 Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:59 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 28327 battles
  • [FLOOF] FLOOF
Shouldent all LT's get that camo on the move? its kinda the LT thing. if that gets taken away then whats the point of a LT?

Luck0r #24 Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:49 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3284 battles

After 45 Battles with ~ 62 % Wins in this Tank i have to say this Tank is not as bad as you might think.

In Tier X Battles its awful, but the Topgun is pretty accurate, so from time to time you can shoot Weakspots with AP.

APCR Pen is enought to Pen Tier X Russian Mediums without any Problems.

Tier 9 Battles are where this Tank shines, Turret can bounce quite a lot of Shots, Hull wont even bounce AFK-Panther shells most of the time. Camo seems good while passive spotting, but nothing special here.

Mobility is really not that bad. Accelerates fast up to 50 and takes some time to ~ 65 on Flat Ground. 

Not easy to play, but its doable.

playre_eu #25 Posted 01 November 2014 - 10:18 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 17508 battles
  • [NN9] NN9

recommended upgrade path ?

Engine or gun first ?

Svartur77 #26 Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:08 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 27806 battles
  • [A-P] A-P

You haven't played russian meds before? All I needed to upgrade was tracks the rest was already available.

Anyone know what changed with this in 9.4 test 3? Fixed camo on the move maybe?

XCabs #27 Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:34 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2502 battles

After playing it for a few days I have come to the conclusion its not a particularly good light tank.

Its kind of pointless as others have pointed out. It doesnt excel in any area as a light tank at all imho. Slightly better armour than an LTB, Bulldog etc is fairly irrelevant in the matches the tank gets in.  It really has absolutely nothing 'special' about i, I don't get the point of it.  Its biggest problem for me is the slow acceleration and  for a light tank that is a problem when you like to use your lights for a bit of brawling now and then. I may get hammered for this, but I also find the guns penetration a big problem in this tank. Come on its Tier X all the way with this thing.

Shame really as it had the potential but Im sure some folks will love it. 

PS

I'm coming from a more active scout position and brawler when using light tanks. If your a passive scouter and sniper it might be fine for you.

But it is not an easy tank to play. Keep that in mind if your someone just thinking about grinding/paying for that one tank.

Edited by XCabs, 03 November 2014 - 08:55 PM.

drummer101 #28 Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:20 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 31099 battles
Any opinions on what equipment to use on this little tank? I was considering VStab, Rammer and Optics just like my WZ 132 but I'm wondering if it's worth while dropping the VStab and replacing it with vents to improve the acceleration and view range in particular.

azakow #29 Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:23 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 80318 battles

View PostSvartur77, on 03 November 2014 - 01:08 PM, said:

Anyone know what changed with this in 9.4 test 3? Fixed camo on the move maybe?

In 0.9.4 the camo on the move will change.

It will be the same as when standing.

At current the camo when moving will drop, hence no real LTing is possible. I've played it 4 matches and now I'm waiting for 0.9.4.

View Postdrummer101, on 04 November 2014 - 06:20 PM, said:

Any opinions on what equipment to use on this little tank? I was considering VStab, Rammer and Optics just like my WZ 132 but I'm wondering if it's worth while dropping the VStab and replacing it with vents to improve the acceleration and view range in particular.

Here my crew and module setup, derived from WZ-132 experience.

The major role training is not at 100% yet.

Spoiler

Why train the Controlled Impact skill on the driver?

30 tones of weight at 65+ km/h will be devastating for many opponents, including some MT.

The skill setup of the loader is not tuned for this vehicle yet.

It will take me some more matches to see, whether Safe Storage skill will be needed.

This is a fighters setup.

azakow #30 Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:39 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 80318 battles

I am at 65 matches now.  So far it is as good as the WZ-132.

I played like the WZ-132, but the fighting range should be closer since the gun is not as accurate.

Close combat is really nice, almost like dancing around your targets.

The tracks seem fragile.

Ramming opponents works very well, i.e. an AMX 1390 is a full speed ramm and one shoot. The good thing is the AMX 1390 can not evade, due to my nimbleness.

Farming Kamikaze is easy going, i.e. SPG9+.

Here some gameplay samples.

KLguns #31 Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:54 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 49721 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
^ True, Its a good tank but I am actually so fed up with light tanks atm that I will just try to get my ace in it (or 1st is probably the realistic one for me), train up the crew a bit and then just sell it. I have the T54 already and bougth the LT only cause it was on discount.

distrofijus #32 Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:03 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 30826 battles
Well, after super test details on new tier9/tier10 brit TDs (view range specifically), one can only guess that view range re-adjustment to buff LTs is in works. I kinda have a bad feeling about this, the meta gameplay will change  A LOT. I love my LTs, but if other tanks get hit by view range nerfs, LTs will change from underdog to much harder roles. So don't be to hasty to sell your LTs.

distrofijus #33 Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:19 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 30826 battles

yep, it was pretty obvious:

http://ftr.wot-news.com/2014/11/07/on-td-viewrange-nerf/

azakow #34 Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:05 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 80318 battles

View PostKLguns, on 07 November 2014 - 09:54 AM, said:

^ True, Its a good tank but I am actually so fed up with light tanks atm that I will just try to get my ace in it (or 1st is probably the realistic one for me), train up the crew a bit and then just sell it. I have the T54 already and bougth the LT only cause it was on discount.

So like your T-54 and you are able to perform in it , but you do not like the challenge of the T-54 LW?! :blinky::tongue:

I would keep it and take the challenge, since you have it already.

I do not like the T-54 much, but do like the T-54 LW.

View Postdistrofijus, on 07 November 2014 - 10:03 AM, said:

Well, after super test details on new tier9/tier10 brit TDs (view range specifically), one can only guess that view range re-adjustment to buff LTs is in works. I kinda have a bad feeling about this, the meta gameplay will change  A LOT. I love my LTs, but if other tanks get hit by view range nerfs, LTs will change from underdog to much harder roles. So don't be to hasty to sell your LTs.

The LT role will not become harder, it is quite the contrary (shoting almost anywhere). The importance of LT for team success will increase alot.

Once all LT are dead during a match it will be bussiness as usual, with just less view range.

In a sense this will make any LT high priority target, which is probably what you are refering to.

Edited by azakow, 07 November 2014 - 12:06 PM.

distrofijus #35 Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:31 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 30826 battles

View Postazakow, on 07 November 2014 - 12:05 PM, said:

The LT role will not become harder, it is quite the contrary (shoting almost anywhere). The importance of LT for team success will increase alot.

Once all LT are dead during a match it will be bussiness as usual, with just less view range.

In a sense this will make any LT high priority target, which is probably what you are refering to.

Well, even with those view ranges, open map (Malinovka), terribad team and decent LT would mean that there was some fighting going on. With crap LT in the team, but decent VR medium, one still could help team to win game. VR reduction will put you in mercy of MM on open maps.

Yes, I do understand about LTs being able to influence the outcome of the game a lot more. Now LTs will get even more abuse (not that I got a lot of it), but in general we'll see a lot of "go spot or die" and stuff. And with current quality of LT commanders it seems that I won't be able to play other tanks at all. I like my LTs very much, but with VR changes looks lik can forget my TD lines. I'm not very good at brawling, HTs were low priority for me. Looks like they'll be even lower priority.

I'd say that it is unfair to buff LTs at the expense of all other tank classes.

It is team based game, but with crap teams it will be much less enjoyable experience for me (if I would take out other tank classes) since this change will mean relience on the team a lot more. I'm 90%+ solo guy and importance of platooning with VR nerf will be all time high. Strongholds/team battles will look much more pleasant, however with my current RL stuff I am not able to commit a lot to those. I guess this will be a good time to consider taking some time off.

I'm pretty confident that "corridor maps" tide is going to turn, so the maps will be more open and that does not bode well at all with VR readjustment. Excellent players will be able to rule battlefield even more, but they are handful. for the rest it sounds like a turn to worse.

azakow #36 Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:00 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 80318 battles

View Postdistrofijus, on 07 November 2014 - 12:31 PM, said:

Well, even with those view ranges, open map (Malinovka), terribad team and decent LT would mean that there was some fighting going on. With crap LT in the team, but decent VR medium, one still could help team to win game. VR reduction will put you in mercy of MM on open maps.

Yes, I do understand about LTs being able to influence the outcome of the game a lot more. Now LTs will get even more abuse (not that I got a lot of it), but in general we'll see a lot of "go spot or die" and stuff. And with current quality of LT commanders it seems that I won't be able to play other tanks at all. I like my LTs very much, but with VR changes looks lik can forget my TD lines. I'm not very good at brawling, HTs were low priority for me. Looks like they'll be even lower priority.

I'd say that it is unfair to buff LTs at the expense of all other tank classes.

It is team based game, but with crap teams it will be much less enjoyable experience for me (if I would take out other tank classes) since this change will mean relience on the team a lot more. I'm 90%+ solo guy and importance of platooning with VR nerf will be all time high. Strongholds/team battles will look much more pleasant, however with my current RL stuff I am not able to commit a lot to those. I guess this will be a good time to consider taking some time off.

I'm pretty confident that "corridor maps" tide is going to turn, so the maps will be more open and that does not bode well at all with VR readjustment. Excellent players will be able to rule battlefield even more, but they are handful. for the rest it sounds like a turn to worse.

LT commanders are always at the mercy of teams and MM. ...

We are getting a little of topic here, don't you think?

I would participate in a discussion on this matter in some other topic.

:honoring:

azakow #37 Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:39 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 80318 battles

I'm now at 160 matches.

Safe Storage skill on the loader is not needed.

To train Controlled Impact skill was good choice for offensive and defensive actions.

Some of my Kamikaze were due to being rammend by overconfident BC, Obj. 140 and T-54 commanders.

:medal:

The gun depression is nice, when compared to WZ-132.

The penetration and accuracy of the gun gave me some difficulties at the beginning.

Now I'm used to it and the mobility and nimbleness compensates for this alot.

I am still in a trail and error phase, since I have the feeling there is more potential.

Here some of my data.

Spoiler

Are there any passionate and ambitious T-54 commanders willing to the challenge of this vehicle?

Edited by azakow, 12 November 2014 - 05:43 PM.

Exocet6951 #38 Posted 13 November 2014 - 02:40 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 40972 battles
  • [BALTO] BALTO

View Postazakow, on 10 November 2014 - 06:39 PM, said:

Are there any passionate and ambitious T-54 commanders willing to the challenge of this vehicle?

I was septic at first, but then it got a speed buff and I'm slowly grinding towards it to add it to my tier8 scout collection.

It has big shoes to fill, with the Ru251 being my long lost love with whom I have reunited with, T49 play4fun giggle machine, WZ-132 pew pew camo god all clawing for my affection.
Sold the AMX 13 90 long ago though. The 90mm gun takes discipline, of which I have little when it comes down to light tanks and their guns. I like firing on the move and taking heavies attention before I circle them. I like to see the panic in their movements :justwait:

Eila_Juutilainen #39 Posted 13 November 2014 - 02:47 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 21383 battles
  • [102ND] 102ND
I'm thinking of getting one of these to mess with my friends who insist I get a T-54 to platoon with their T-54s.

azakow #40 Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:35 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 80318 battles

View PostExocet6951, on 13 November 2014 - 02:40 PM, said:

I like firing on the move and taking heavies attention before I circle them. I like to see the panic in their movements :justwait:

View PostEila_Juutilainen, on 13 November 2014 - 02:47 PM, said:

I'm thinking of getting one of these to mess with my friends who insist I get a T-54 to platoon with their T-54s.

I assume both you are reffering to play it like this: http://wotreplays.com/site/1331629#south_coast-azakow-t-54_lightweight

Edited by azakow, 14 November 2014 - 06:35 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users