The "Russian" Problem

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

_Akoo_ #1 Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:15 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 19836 battles

This past week, the European and North American servers hosted their War Gaming League finals, in offline events held in Seattle & Cologne.

It was a fairly decent season and offline event for both servers, some new teams, some reworked teams and some older teams struggling. But now, with the results of the offline events known from both clusters, there is a more important questions that need to be addressed and answered.

When will Russian Server based teams stop been allowed into other servers pro leagues?

North America League

#RU won the North American League finals in Seattle this weekend just gone, taking home the $50,000 prize money, a total of 57.5% of the total prize money for the offline event.

The #RU team consists of the following.

4 Russians

1 Belarusian

2 Americans

1 Unspecified

A team that is, at least 5/8th Russian server based, maybe even higher due to the unspecified player. In my opinion, should not be allowed to take 57.5% of the prize money from the American player base.

European League

This one is more of a grey area, since technically some of Russia is in Europe, but a look back at the past shows a lot, Virtus.Pro famously came to the EU League after finishing 2nd in the Russian League.

Schoolbus took home 1st place in the EU offline events, with Virtus.Pro coming in second. Their combined prize money of €45,000, that is 68% of the total prize money for the teams that made it to the offline event.

The Schoolbus & Virtus.Pro teams consist of the following.

11 Russian

6 Ukranian

2 Moldovan

1 Belarusian

1 Israeli (Not sure if Israeli, or just resides there)

Again, the fact that 2 teams, that are basically fully Russian Server teams are allowed to come to the European server and take 68% of the prize money from that player base should not be allowed.

Then there are allegations that V.PRO were using hand signals from the audience to give their team a tactical advantage at the offline finals, not proven, but an interesting allegations.

The Future

I don't keep up with the NA League enough to know what is happening with their relegation or promotions, however for the EU side, next season, with the introduction of GGWP, the European server will have 3/12 Teams from the Russian player base. The introduction of GGWP to some seen as a potential problem, seen as their NA roster had 4/7 players banned for 1 season for using unauthorized mods. http://na.wgleague.net/en/news/category/announcement/qualifier-1-dq-release

(ofc I do not imply that GGWP have, or will ever use mods on the EU servers competitions (Most mods are not allowed in WGPL))

So, there is a question, that the EU player base, and all the EU players currently playing ESL for World of Tanks need to seriously consider.

Does the competitive improvement the Russian Teams bring into the EU and NA leagues, outweigh the places they take from teams based in those servers, and the amount of prize money they win?

*My views are my own, and not of my team, or my clan*

Edited by _Akoo_, 15 September 2014 - 06:15 PM.

BravelyRanAway #2 Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:20 PM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 21650 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T
Can EU or US teams compete in the RU Leagues?

_Akoo_ #3 Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:33 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 19836 battles

View PostLeadbucket, on 04 September 2014 - 04:20 PM, said:

Can EU or US teams compete in the RU Leagues?

They could, but most wont even try, for the same reason the RU teams don't try the Asian servers, the language barrier would be too severe.

Also, the level of competition, like I said, the RU server is probably the most competitive for eSports, its the reason you see so many RU teams branching out, if the EU casters information is correct, the whole reason Virtus.Pro are in the European League is because they were fed up finishing second to Na'Vi in the Russian league.

Ping is not really an issue, you can play competitive with 200 ping in World of Tanks. EU > RU gets around 100, EU > NA gets around 180 for myself.

Edited by _Akoo_, 04 September 2014 - 04:37 PM.

NikLemos #4 Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:39 PM

Warrant Officer

• WGL PRO Player
  • 49759 battles

View Post_Akoo_, on 04 September 2014 - 06:15 PM, said:

The Future

I don't keep up with the NA League enough to know what is happening with their relegation or promotions, however for the EU side, next season, with the introduction of GGWP, the European server will have 3/12 Teams from the Russian player base. The introduction of GGWP to some seen as a potential problem, seen as their NA roster had 4/7 players banned for 1 season for using illegal mods. http://na.wgleague.net/en/news/category/announcement/qualifier-1-dq-release

(ofc I do not imply that GGWP have, or will ever use cheat mods on the EU servers competitions)

Cameron Reed, Head Admin of the WGLNA, analyzed GGWP’s replays and python logs and found that 4 out of 7 members of GGWP were using several mods, including a “modpack” of unknown origin or contents among others.  Members of GGWP admitted to using mods but argued that it did not factor into their win.

You are totally wrong. Even WGLNA admin dont say "illegal".  

These are not forbidden mods, and the standard mods resolved by Wargaming Net.

Standard, "official" mod-pack (by Jove, VPRO player and official WG guest commentator and others popular people), ADVERTISED even by www.worldoftanks.ru itself (!) on MAIN page of site, and of used about 20-30% of players in the world.

There are NOT illegal mods, they are standard mods, more then 1.8 millions players use it, by statistics (spring-summer 2014). Like Zoom-Camera, XVM, Damage Panel.

When there is the new patch out, each normal Russian player, download a patch, then a mod-pack from the official site (the link on main page).

Νevertheless, we play since then in general without mods to avoid a gossip.

P.S. I have no doubts, as without "modpack" :)  the result wouldn't change..

P.S.S. Further... Personally, I agree and understand that, it is necessary to play there where you live. I have no nationality except European, as well a bad ping to Russia and to the USA.

*My views are my own, and not of my team, or my clan*

Edited by NikLemos, 06 September 2014 - 02:02 PM.

_Akoo_ #5 Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:15 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 19836 battles

My mistake, just bad grammar on my part.

Changed from "Illegal" to "Unauthorized".

(Also, somebody neg repped you, gave you a +)

Edited by _Akoo_, 09 September 2014 - 03:06 PM.

jjgjosh123 #6 Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:55 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 7570 battles
  • [CRY-X] CRY-X
I bet that if it was the other way round things would get done so much quicker to stop this. 

Karlie #7 Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:06 PM

WGL EU Manager

• WG Staff
  • 17445 battles
  • [GIRL_] GIRL_

Be better and win those money. Would you care if they would be taking lower places? Is it problem just because they keep winning?

Is playing on EU server really a problem? And is it a problem since all those countries are European or part of Europe?

dakillzor #8 Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:06 AM

Warrant Officer

• WGL PRO Player
  • 39690 battles
  • [FAME] FAME

It all depends on how WG set there specifications. 

If they mean European Union or European Region.

Most likely european region which includes a vast part of russia & ukraine. Besides that they still lift EU to a higher level.

tomfi #9 Posted 01 January 2015 - 01:46 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 31956 battles
  • [TNT] TNT
Thats probem that may be seen in other sports too. For example running. If you put small price you will not attract good national runners. If you put more into price pool, you will attract Kenya runners that will always win, so again you will not attract best national runners too. Best national runners always look if there is no Kenya runner in the runners list ;) Is this a problem ? It depends. Most runners just run for competittion, best run for win and money... If you want to attract best national runners, it means not allowing all to come.

kihrEx #10 Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:10 AM

Corporal

• WGL PRO Player
  • 34170 battles

I don't really see the problem here since if you're in a competitive team facing those top teams, it doensn't matter where they're from, all you can and have to do is learn from them.

We at Drooling Leprechauns have played our best games against VPro and SB and we've learned alot from watching them play. This is only a good thing in my point of view.

Nixuebrig #11 Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:06 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 31487 battles
  • [CG4A] CG4A

View PostKarlie, on 28 October 2014 - 05:06 PM, said:

Going on the russian server I always get the hind I am on the Server of the CIS (does this still exist?) and I am asked to go on the Server of the European Region. Does not look like russians see themselfes as europeans....

Edited by Nixuebrig, 02 March 2015 - 02:07 PM.

Karlie #12 Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:26 AM

WGL EU Manager

• WG Staff
  • 17445 battles
  • [GIRL_] GIRL_

View PostNixuebrig, on 02 March 2015 - 02:06 PM, said:

Going on the russian server I always get the hind I am on the Server of the CIS (does this still exist?) and I am asked to go on the Server of the European Region. Does not look like russians see themselfes as europeans....

Sorry, I dont really get your point. The prefect example is Ukraine. We have players from there who feel they belong more to CIS (yes, it exists) and we have players who prefer EU. But that is not the point and I totally agree with kihrEx on this one.

TaHko3d #13 Posted 12 March 2015 - 12:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22751 battles

What stops the "true europeans" to be better and win over those "un-european" russians/ukrainians/belarusians? Also if russians/ukrainians/belarusians are not europeans, are they asians then?

mitablesan #14 Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:09 PM

Private

• Player
  • 46212 battles
  • [OLDG] OLDG
Does this post mean that these players should simply register for an ACC on EU and NA servers? No point, really, but I doubt that this would pose a significant problem. As far as I understood, it is important to WGL to register for a tournament rather than to play on specific server...
It's like complaining that the screen on your German monitor was made in China; the best maker/the lowest cost will take the market. The cost for transport from China included.
In this case, the best players will win the tournament. The cost for transport from Russia included.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users