Pz.III A - is it just me?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Hyenaz #1 Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:36 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1121 battles

I am not the most experienced WOT player out there, but I played a lot of tier IIIs. I play and own the chi-Ha, S35, T46, Vickers Medium III, Played my share of D2 and marders.

Now I played the Pz.III A... and it seems OP in comparison to the other tier 3s I played.I got a Mastery 1st class on my first stock Pz.III playthrough. I'm certainly not the best player out there and mastery 1 is not something taht happens to me that often, not to mention on a 1st stock tank playthrough.

This tank is extremely fast (speed limit 68 wtf?!) and that's with the stock engine (!?). I hate to imagine what the 440 hp engine will do with it. Armor is meh, but at this tier its not an exception (Vickers III has the same and is slower and larger).

Is this just me, or is this a really scary tank? I remember seeing other people play it, but I guess I didn't realize how fast this tank really is. In my first few games I( managed to skirt most opfor around the map edge and cause havoc on their arty and cap. Last time I got killed only because they sent a matilda and KV after me and they took me from 2 sides.

This tank really feels like i can easily outrun everyone stronger than me and overpower each tank that has similar speed. I will play a few more games with it, but so far it looks like a good candidate for a nerf(particularly speed).

Eokokok #2 Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:46 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 18747 battles
It is not bad, but the amount of terror tier 3 tanks out there that vastly outclass it makes it decent at best. At tier 3 the LTs still have their normal MM, making all the 1Cs, 2Gs and T-70s probably the best pick on the tier.

Edited by Eokokok, 17 September 2014 - 09:47 PM.

__Poi__ #3 Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:30 PM

Private

• Player
  • 15470 battles
Honestly this thing is a very average tank for its tier, everything about it is ok but not excellent. (appart from the gun which isnt very good honestly. It may be fast but the bt-7/ pz-I c wreck it in that respect, it has poor armour but there aren't really any well armoured t3's to begin with (except maybe the amx 38). Overall the tank is quite underwhelming if anything it may even need a tiny buff to stay releveant, but honestly its pretty balanced!

Sitronkatt #4 Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:41 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4420 battles
  • [VAPIN] VAPIN

Interesting... I absolutely hated this tank! So far I've only played German tanks, but this is by far the worst one I have had the misfortune of driving. It IS fairly fast, but the gun is impossibly inaccurate and unreliable, it doesn't have a lot of HP, the armor is... Not even a factor. Please note that this was with 50% crew, so it is possible the top gun is good at 100% crew, but with the abysmal experience I had driving it I had no intention of sticking to it and sold it as soon as everything was researched. I am also a fairly new player and this was the third vehicle I used, so that likely also colored my experience somewhat. Up until that point I had been using auto-cannons exclusively.

I found the Pz IC -which is a tank of the same tier- to be far better. It is faster and more agile, actually has better armor despite being much smaller, and that machinegun it gets is barrels of fun! Going up against the pointlessly armored Pz IIIA feels like I'm cheating; I just tear them to shreds in the matter of seconds. It also felt like a major downgrade from the Pz II, which although slow was reasonably well armored for its tier and had a respectable gun.

Still, I got lucky a few battles and actually managed to get an Ace Tanker badge in this thing... Never driving it again though, not a chance!

Orkbert #5 Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:37 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 28160 battles

View PostFegelFlue, on 24 September 2014 - 10:41 PM, said:

So far I've only played German tanks, but this is by far the worst one I have had the misfortune of driving.

I see that You haven't played the Durchbruchswagen yet :wink:

Or for that matter the G.Pz.Mk.IV(e)

Baldrickk #6 Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:14 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32165 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

It's like the pz-1c in a way. Not as fast but better acceleration and turning,  less armour but better pen, no burst but better sustained dpm...

It's a good tank, but 16mm of armour on the front isn't even going to stop a HE round.

On the plus side it doesn't have trouble penetrating ithers either.

Sitronkatt #7 Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:29 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4420 battles
  • [VAPIN] VAPIN

View PostOrkbert, on 03 October 2014 - 12:37 PM, said:

I see that You haven't played the Durchbruchswagen yet :wink:

Or for that matter the G.Pz.Mk.IV(e)

I have heard stories of the terror that is the D-Wagen, and so made the choice to completely skip this one! Friends that are more experienced with the game insisted that it is alongside the M3 Lee the worst of all the vehicles, and I decided to take their word for it. Never going to even purchase that tank, and certainly not drive it!

Orkbert #8 Posted 18 October 2014 - 10:54 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 28160 battles

View PostFegelFlue, on 17 October 2014 - 02:29 PM, said:

I have heard stories of the terror that is the D-Wagen, and so made the choice to completely skip this one! Friends that are more experienced with the game insisted that it is alongside the M3 Lee the worst of all the vehicles, and I decided to take their word for it. Never going to even purchase that tank, and certainly not drive it!

The D.W.2 is basically an oversized Pz.III: same top gun choices (5cm and 7,5cm KWK), similar armor thicknesses (heck, the Pz.III has even more frontal armor than the DW)

The only advantages of the D.W.2 are slightly more hitpoints and the limited MM of tierIV Heavies.

Those two 'advantages' are traded with being way slower (including the risk of getting circled) and a large silhouette (and the corresponding bad camouflage values, usually you can expect any foe spotting you first before you see him)

Basically I got the strong Impression that the TierIV heavies were introduced to the game for those players who want to drive a Heavy ASAP (yep, to some extent this also applies for the french B1, though that tank is somewhat better)

The M3 Lee is actually somewhat decent, if one can adapt to a non-turret style.

Sitronkatt #9 Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:17 AM

Private

• Player
  • 4420 battles
  • [VAPIN] VAPIN

View PostOrkbert, on 18 October 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

The D.W.2 is basically an oversized Pz.III: same top gun choices (5cm and 7,5cm KWK), similar armor thicknesses (heck, the Pz.III has even more frontal armor than the DW)

The only advantages of the D.W.2 are slightly more hitpoints and the limited MM of tierIV Heavies.

Those two 'advantages' are traded with being way slower (including the risk of getting circled) and a large silhouette (and the corresponding bad camouflage values, usually you can expect any foe spotting you first before you see him)

Ah, I see... Yea that doesn't seem tempting at all! Luckily I am enjoying the Tiger I quite a lot, it seems to be a decent tank with a great gun. Looking forward to the Tiger II which is only about 10k XP away, but at the same time I dread it; the Tier 8 and 9 players I sometimes meet seem much better than what I am used to fighting in the lower tiers.

View PostOrkbert, on 18 October 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

The M3 Lee is actually somewhat decent, if one can adapt to a non-turret style.

Well I haven't driven this one, I am still doing the German tanks and havent moved to a secondary tree, but I understood from my friends that the main problem was it's VERY tall profile with a low-mounted gun, meaning that you would expose nearly your whole tank before you could get the gun onto an enemy, giving them plenty of time to shoot you. From looking at the numbers the gun seems pretty good actually.

Orkbert #10 Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:02 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 28160 battles

View PostFegelFlue, on 18 October 2014 - 12:17 PM, said:

Well I haven't driven this one, I am still doing the German tanks and havent moved to a secondary tree, but I understood from my friends that the main problem was it's VERY tall profile with a low-mounted gun, meaning that you would expose nearly your whole tank before you could get the gun onto an enemy, giving them plenty of time to shoot you. From looking at the numbers the gun seems pretty good actually.

No need to hurry into new lines, but if you ever feel like venturing into the 'merican armor:

If you've played the Hetzer with the 7,5cm then the M3 Lee should be not too problematic for you. Just be a little more cautious due to the freaking high profile (and the corresponding bad camo rating - the worst of all TierIV mediums)

knoxySR #11 Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:56 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 7472 battles
If you have a decent crew it can be fun but it defo has its weak points, pz1c's rape it all day long. Even with bia and chocolate that gun still aims to slow and its almost useless at medium to long range because of the terrible accuracy.

73north #12 Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:33 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 39788 battles

This was a welcome Ace Tanker simply because the tank has poor armour , but the final module gun with the best penetration was really inaccurate - and a long aim time -

I have never used a more unreliable German tank gun , the Light Tractor stock 37mm was way better !

I ended up using the stock 37 gun and firing premium ammo simply so I could hit what I was firing at -

I lost count of the number of times that horrid 50 mm gun would miss , easy aimed shots - I find I am not the only one to experience trouble using this tank with that last researched gun

Lycopersicon #13 Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:10 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 10838 battles
Mastery badge has little to do with how good a vehicle is, you get it for a performance that was relatively good compared to other players on the same vehicle. In fact, powerful low-tier tanks should be tougher in this respect, because people tend to keep them and play them a lot, with highly trained crews and a good feel of how the vehicle behaves.

Baldrickk #14 Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:55 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32165 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View Post73north, on 22 January 2015 - 06:33 PM, said:

This was a welcome Ace Tanker simply because the tank has poor armour , but the final module gun with the best penetration was really inaccurate - and a long aim time -

I have never used a more unreliable German tank gun , the Light Tractor stock 37mm was way better !

I ended up using the stock 37 gun and firing premium ammo simply so I could hit what I was firing at -

I lost count of the number of times that horrid 50 mm gun would miss , easy aimed shots - I find I am not the only one to experience trouble using this tank with that last researched gun

Not really sure what you are on about with the guns.

Sure the stock gun has exceptional aim time on the IIIa, but the 2.3s of the 5cm is pretty standard for almost all German tanks.

You do lose 0.2acc, but there isn't that much difference between 0.46 and 0.48. For that you get a gun that punches through nearly everything with standard rounds, and 2x the alpha compared to the stock gun with nearly the same rate of fire...

Kinda old now, but here are some examples from when I was still a noob :)

http://wotreplays.eu...loaded_at.desc/

Edited by Baldrickk, 23 January 2015 - 12:23 AM.

Dr_Blade #15 Posted 23 February 2015 - 01:10 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 29283 battles
  • [-AWF-] -AWF-

PzIII A is my favorite tank in game, almost favorite out of game as well.

It has that purity of vision of what's a main battle tank is supposed to be like.

Good gun, good armor, good mobility, good everything, not best at anything, bad at nothing.

Later tanks and versions tend to be more heavily armored and slower,

or lack in gun performance against others of same tier, or something.

I really dig how it can kill frontally almost everything it comes up against, except for some heavies.

While almost everything it comes against, can similarly kill it frontally, except for some lights.

Makes for interesting, mobile fights where you have to be constantly on alert.

Ntec5 #16 Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:00 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 2826 battles

View PostDr_Blade, on 23 February 2015 - 02:10 PM, said:

PzIII A is my favorite tank in game, almost favorite out of game as well.

It has that purity of vision of what's a main battle tank is supposed to be like.

Good gun, good armor, good mobility, good everything, not best at anything, bad at nothing.

Later tanks and versions tend to be more heavily armored and slower,

or lack in gun performance against others of same tier, or something.

I really dig how it can kill frontally almost everything it comes up against, except for some heavies.

While almost everything it comes against, can similarly kill it frontally, except for some lights.

Makes for interesting, mobile fights where you have to be constantly on alert.

Armor? What armor? It has paper 14 mm hull armor.

Dr_Blade #17 Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:31 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 29283 battles
  • [-AWF-] -AWF-
Lol, could have sworn it's a bit better than 14mm, but the (improved) turret has 30mm, which is decent in tier 3.

lemthepimpmeard #18 Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:45 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 27450 battles

It's a great little tank, your thread persuaded me to take it out again and I've had a blast so thanks. Got a Pascucci's medal this evening on Himmelsdorf, and bounced a premium shell someone fired at my 14mm armour.

The gun can handle anything it's going to meet, helped with premium ammo at tier 5 admittedly. I've got fond memories of taking down a KV-1 in it by abusing the fact he was stupid and the Pz III Ausf A is a nippy little devil.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users