• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

T0byJug #41 Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:09 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 19444 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostAir_Scotland, on 22 September 2014 - 01:56 PM, said:

Sorry to be a pain but its the Union Flag. This isn't World of Warships just yet :bush:

Also to say that i've noticed the same thing although i have gone even further to notice that the 'Eastern European' players seem to put their country codes in their usernames (the amount of names I come across with PL and CZ in the name). The thing i think i find is that A the 'Eastern' block seem to like to like announcing their nationalities a lot more anyhow and that WG.Net seem to like making a lot more eastern block inscriptions and emblems, so its likely that people just cant be bothered to have the single flag on every single tank.

Personally i have the flag on as many tanks as i can but thats just me being a bit patriotic there.

Not sure he is so wrong!! As long as its on the Tog II you can call it a uniion Jack! as long as he is flying it from the front (bow) lets face it that tank is bigger than most British WW2 destroyers!!! :teethhappy:

As a foot note i dont have on World of tanks (as it costs gold) but in games where flags are free. I have them

TrailApe #42 Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:11 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 59730 battles

basically Britain is just a group of countries who share the same currency and major laws

That just sctatches the surface of a very complex situation.

The four main elements of the Union (England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales) have ancient histories of their own and then there is the recent history of the break away of a large part of Ireland (and all the pain associated with that episode).

Personally I blame all the ills and woes that the Briish (and their Empire) have inflicted on the world on the Normans, so it's the French or the Scandanavians who are at fault.

So why are you Brits making such a fuss of of your 4 UK constituent "countries"?

Because of the 6 Nations championship - if the UK was not split into the 4 Unions it would be a pretty crappy competition.

Edited by TrailApe, 22 September 2014 - 02:12 PM.

xxlguru #43 Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:12 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 44208 battles

I am living in Amsterdam. I use to live in Germany as well. I was not born in neither of those two Countries.

I am just back from my Vacation. It was epic car trip from Amsterdam to Greece. No I am not a Greek either.

Imagine how many clicks to Greece.

Now I have to tell as soon as I live Vienna I do not want to stop anywhere but t put some gasoline into my car. I do not want to go to toilet either. Roads become worse. People start speaking less foreign languages and Communication gets worse.

On my way back Vienna is like a oasis in the desert. Return to Civilization. You can go to toilet. You can stop and eat something. You can park car without removing all stuff out of the car. Roads get way better.

Then you enter Big D and Autobahn. I have made my driving licence in Germany and I am proud of it. You to live there 5 years long to. My car drives 260 KM/h and I drive as fast as I like when I am in Germany.

You drive 2XX KM/h and truck doing 89KM/h starts taking over a other truck that is doing 88KM/h. He does it in zone where it is forbidden to overtake in a truck. He does it on 500 meters in front of you although you gave the signal that you are incoming like a bullet. Who do you think that that truck belongs to? Germany? Not It is always PL, CZ, H and some others I do not even know who they are. You save your life and life of your family members by braking like a mad man and wait he is still in left lane taking over two more trucks stopping all Autobahn for 5 KM?????

Last Saturday happened to me 7 times.

You drive and you see 1 click in front of you car takes over. You give him signal with your lights and he moves in time to the right side and let you go. Who was that? German people. They respect code. No you do not drive up to them and put lights into their a$$ you give signal from 1 KM and they will respect it.

I've lived in few  Countries and I have sampled completely different Communities/Countries/Cultures.

Please do nto tell me everyone is same and there is this and that. There is a big difference and people hate each other.

Easter Europeans are jealous on Western Europeans. Because of their wealth and attitude. They think Western Europeans do better things because they can pay for everything and have no soul.

Western Europeans think about Eastern Europeans that they are peasants and thing that they can not live civilized life. They know that they are hated so they hate to.

Sure Generalizing is so wrong. There are so many nice and good people everywhere but WoT players base just prove it. Majority of people thinks like that.

Sad.Sad. Sad.

I went in WC and I got Escherichia Collie bacteria. Thanks Eastern Europe. I have really needed to be sick on my vacation. :trollface:

Am I against Eastern People? Nope. Not at all. There are some very nice people there. Just do not go to Public Toilet :smile:. Also never ever take a B road you will kill your car.

Am I against stupid people? Sure I am.

T0byJug #44 Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:17 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 19444 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostLemacque, on 22 September 2014 - 02:11 PM, said:

The idea that Union Jack is a term for the Union Flag on ships is a total navy-issm. I am sure the Admiralty & a quick flag history search will confirm this for you.

Either way, fly the flag & be proud!

The uniion Flag is Called the union Jack when it is flown from the Jackstaff on a ship! (thats the pole on the very front) All ships have a jack staff and all countries have a Jack Flag.

T0byJug #45 Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:18 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 19444 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostAir_Scotland, on 22 September 2014 - 02:14 PM, said:

No its not the fact that it was on a ship i meant the fact that it wasnt on a jack pole.....last i checked the union jack was only the jack if it was on a a jack pole....most jack poles, although not all, are on ships (hence why i made the reference) although i will stand corrected if im wrong.

JackStaff or Poll is only called that when its on the bow of a ship!

piritskenyer #46 Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Clan Diplomat
  • 10964 battles
  • [SCRUB] SCRUB

View PostT0byJug, on 22 September 2014 - 02:18 PM, said:

View PostT0byJug, on 22 September 2014 - 02:17 PM, said:

The uniion Flag is Called the union Jack when it is flown from the Jackstaff on a ship! (thats the pole on the very front) All ships have a jack staff and all countries have a Jack Flag.

Does Switzerland have a Jack Flag?

T0byJug #47 Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:29 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 19444 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postpiritskenyer, on 22 September 2014 - 03:20 PM, said:

I would say yes! As there are merchant ships registered in switzaland. Even Luxembourg has ships registered to it!

TrailApe #48 Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:29 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 59730 battles

They would have a Pike Flag.

Ubertoaster #49 Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:30 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16649 battles
  • [TAHK] TAHK

Yeest Yurp - bestest yurp - stronk nationalism.

I like my flag and this is why I have it on 2 keeper tanks on one side - on the other I have the indian girl.

scrontch #50 Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:31 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Clan Commander
  • 29166 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

View PostTrailApe, on 22 September 2014 - 03:11 PM, said:

Because of the 6 Nations championship - if the UK was not split into the 4 Unions it would be a pretty crappy competition.

You got a point there. :teethhappy:

being at that, it also allows you to fail 4 times as much in football worldcups. :eyesup:

xxlguru #51 Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:33 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 44208 battles

View Postfverhoef, on 22 September 2014 - 03:02 PM, said:

Hahaha me as a Dutch wish the same (that they would make English the official language in Belgium). I never know in Belgium where I should use Dutch and where I should use French... so often I just start in English to not offend people too much with the wrong language. :)

I've hated going to Belgium. Brussels especially. What a mad City. I am not speaking French (I do speak 3 foreign languages though) and they would not speak even Dutch, English? Nope. German? No you could even get in trouble with German :smile:

Center of EU and those stone streets? Holes on streets. Great.

No wonder people here say Belgium is good for beer and Chocolate only :trollface:

Some parts of Antwerp where good. Others where bit to Tough even for me.

I like that they are enthusiast in all hobbies they do. Nice musical instruments and cars on their second hand online markets.

Lot of jokes in NL about girls not removing body hairs and stuff. Crazy Dutch man :smile:

Sebenza #52 Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13665 battles

View PostSisarot, on 22 September 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

Same, except that i'm Belgian (or flemish). I don't get nationalism at all. I would even wish if our national language would become english. Then we would be finally done with the stupid dutch/french discussions.

I like to talk to people in their own language, especially my neighbours, so I'm glad I speak french. What you're referring to, is that the bulk of those same neighbours don't feel the need to give me the same courtecy that I extend to them.

Language is the single most important way of communicating with others, demanding that people speak yours and at the same time refusing to speak any others yourself, is antisocial. My opinion might be a tad controversial, but this is where I stand. And no, I don't want a referendum for independence, I like my neighbours, just sometimes not so sure they like me.

View Postfverhoef, on 22 September 2014 - 03:02 PM, said:

Hahaha me as a Dutch wish the same (that they would make English the official language in Belgium). I never know in Belgium where I should use Dutch and where I should use French... so often I just start in English to not offend people too much with the wrong language. :)

Would you mind making english the official language in The Netherlands too? And Spain, France, etc...? That would definitely make it easier on you.

Sebenza #53 Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13665 battles

View Postxxlguru, on 22 September 2014 - 03:33 PM, said:

I've hated going to Belgium. Brussels especially. What a mad City. I am not speaking French (I do speak 3 foreign languages though) and they would not speak even Dutch, English? Nope. German? No you could even get in trouble with German :smile:

Center of EU and those stone streets? Holes on streets. Great.

No wonder people here say Belgium is good for beer and Chocolate only :trollface:

Some parts of Antwerp where good. Others where bit to Tough even for me.

I like that they are enthusiast in all hobbies they do. Nice musical instruments and cars on their second hand online markets.

Lot of jokes in NL about girls not removing body hairs and stuff. Crazy Dutch man :smile:

You jumped on me once for making a joke about eastern europeans and their communist history. Reported for what was merely a funny Thatcher quote. Fair enough, I suspected you were from around there.

How do you want me to view your remarks about my country?

Ze_HOFF_fverhoef #54 Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:56 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 15600 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostSebenza, on 22 September 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

Would you mind making english the official language in The Netherlands too? And Spain, France, etc...? That would definitely make it easier on you.

I wouldn't mind, but I don't think the millions of people living in those countries would agree with me :)

Mind you, English is not my native language and in general I dislike all (non-computer) languages, because they're riddled with exceptions and queer rules (so that includes English). 

Jean_Bart #55 Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:04 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9185 battles

View PostFarseerEldrad, on 22 September 2014 - 11:40 AM, said:

... or is their a more nationalistic pride within the East, im curious to hear from all sides.

I would say it is caused by rather chauvinistic pride/sentiments in the East. And on top of this, the smaller the country is, the stronger the chauvinist sentiments are :teethhappy:! It is something like screaming "Hey, hey everyone, we are (i am) here, look at us (me)!" :trollface:

Lemacque #56 Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:05 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10469 battles

View Post7049, on 22 September 2014 - 01:28 PM, said:

I have never understood national pride or patriotism. Countries are just lines on a map. Why should is matter in which country you were spawned? I am Dutch and I do not own a Dutch flag or any item with a Dutch flag.

I lived in Holland for 14 years, and can say the Dutch people I know are all very patriotic

Lemacque #57 Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:08 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10469 battles

View PostT0byJug, on 22 September 2014 - 02:18 PM, said:

It was referred to as Jack before it was on ships

Harland #58 Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:13 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16648 battles

Personally, I don't get how someone can be proud of a coincidence (you can't influence where you were born).

But I also have no problem with people being proud of their nationality, as long as they don't see people of other nationalities as inferior. Sadly, the step from being a patriot to being overly nationalistic isn't a big one. 

Air_Scotland #59 Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:25 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 21539 battles
  • [WIKD] WIKD

View Postscrontch, on 22 September 2014 - 01:51 PM, said:

View PostAir_Scotland, on 22 September 2014 - 02:02 PM, said:

basically Britain is just a group of countries who share the same currency and major laws. (a bit like the EU is) some people consider themselves to be a part of Britain as a single country (so therefore British) whilst others consider themselves to be part of one of the countries forming the Union (so therefore English Scottish Irish Welsh). Its almost like considering yourself to be European instead of German for example.

So what?

Take Germany - Germany is a federal state.

I'm from Baden-Württemberg.

Note that Baden-Württemberg has its own captial, flag, hymn, coat of arms, government, ministeries, elections, administration, police, domestic intelligence agency(!), budget and ... history.

So why are you Brits making such a fuss of of your 4 UK constituent "countries"?

I was simply using the term to explain to someone why we some of us say we are British and other say they are English, Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish.

AngryApple #60 Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:39 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 7495 battles
I have polish flags on my E100 and M60 even though I'm dutch, for trolling/joking purposes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users