Tanks In Norfolk

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

stoofy1974 #1 Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:11 AM

Private

• Player
  • 9847 battles

Hi all, 

Not sure that this is the place to post this, if not apologies. 

Now many of you in the UK may well have heard of Norfolk, home of the inbred and Woodfordes fine ales but did you know that it has it's own little tank collection?? If you are not in the UK or have not heard of Norfolk you will be in for a surprise or 6 ( the exact number of digits the local have on each hand). 

The Muckleburgh collection situated on the Norfolk Coast near Cromer boasts of being the largest Tank Collection in private hands in Europe!!!

I took the aged parent there recently to go for a bit of a drive in a AFV and I have to say it is brilliant. I may be preaching to the choir here and many of you may well have visited but if you have not GO! GO NOW! 

A wide selection of tanks including a Chaffee, T34/85 and a Sherman Grizzly amongst others is complimented by Guns, Support Vehicles, Uniforms models and missiles. All of them nice and close for a good inspection. Not up to Bovvy standards but well worth it if you are in this part of the UK. Can also recommend the cakes in the little cafe.

Before anyone asks I do not work there or own the place but think it deserves a bit of a plug.

Therein ends the lesson - link here - http://www.mucklebur...o.uk/index.html

Take care

Salentine #2 Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:56 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23574 battles
Aye i've been there, it's pretty good, i was on holiday in norfolk many moons ago, and visited on the day of 9/11 we all got back to our cars and someone put the radio on and everyone stood around in shock listening to the events...

stoofy1974 #3 Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:37 PM

Private

• Player
  • 9847 battles

View PostJaegeroo, on 25 September 2014 - 01:56 PM, said:

Aye i've been there, it's pretty good, i was on holiday in norfolk many moons ago, and visited on the day of 9/11 we all got back to our cars and someone put the radio on and everyone stood around in shock listening to the events...

Probably because radio is a relatively new invention in Norfolk!

TrailApe #4 Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:22 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 54555 battles

Well I know that most of your self-depreciation was tongue in cheek, but let me tell you why I think Norfolk is the dogs bollocks

Digging In.

I’ve had to dig slit trenches and gun pits all over the western world and Norfolk (Thetford Training Area) has the best soil.

Up in Otterburn the first 6 inches of peat are easy peasy, then you hit the Boulder Clay/Glacial Till and you are hacking at stubborn clay with large rocks in it.  Larkhill/Westdown (Salisbury) it’s just solid chalk, take a good swing at that stuff with a pick and your vision is blurred for an hour.

Germany is better, the soils (where I’ve had to dig) are good, but the places where you can dig are restricted – so the chance is that the digging is easy because it’s already been dug and you are just going through backfill. Great – until you hit the bottom and find the ‘presents’ the last lot left. Not nice – especially when you consider most digging in is done under cover of darkness and you are never really sure what you are unearthing.

Sennybridge in Wales was just mud and rock and a lot of rain. I mean a LOT of rain.

But Thetford was brilliant – soft lovely fertile soil. A dream.

Only problem is that as a range it's a bit small, and as we were an Arty unit we were very restricted in what we could fire at.

And another point – a hill should be a HILL. Us OP types went tootling off to find Frog Hill – well that’s what we do, get up a hill and call down fire.

We should have checked the map more closely.

56 metres above sea level a hill? It took us ages to realise that that bump in the road was a hill.

Edited by TrailApe, 29 September 2014 - 04:23 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users