Jump to content


M41 Walker Bulldog - Comments so far...?


  • Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

TheMightyScoobles #1 Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:22 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 21205 battles
  • 25
  • Member since:
    09-22-2011

I think this is better than sex but there we go. Maybe I have been married too long though. But it really is fun!

 

Quick, great autoloader, which loaded with the correct ammo can and does engage tier X. Have to be carefull (like all light tanks though) not to advance to far to quick - I  bumbed into an E100 and it went badly. Would be interested to know what others think?



Eila_Juutilainen #2 Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:41 PM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 21476 battles
  • 3,884
  • [102ND] 102ND
  • Member since:
    11-04-2012
Still can't get into the game, and even if I could I'll have to play the T37 first. But what I've seen from the test server makes me quite excited about this tank. I think I'll forego the autoloader, though. The non-autloaded gun has better soft stats and a considerable rate of constant fire.

STARSBarry #3 Posted 25 September 2014 - 04:26 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Beta Tester
  • 8062 battles
  • 97
  • [GAAAH] GAAAH
  • Member since:
    09-17-2010
I do wish the autoloader fired each shell a bit quicker, its almost like the old chaffee regular reload but I gotta wait 30 seconds to change shell types 

Knerd #4 Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:42 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 15421 battles
  • 69
  • Member since:
    09-28-2011
I'm still only at the M37, but from what i've tryed on the testservers, it plays alot like the T71 only a little more sluggish in accelaration, but with higher topspeed. And to anyone trying to argue that the non autoloader is the bettet gun: Go ahead and use it, but if i see you in game, me and my autoloader gun will eat you as a pre-breakfast snack. Sure the autoloader takes 18 secs to do the full 1500 damage, but at the same time, the non autoloader will only do about 900 damage. Sure 30 secs is a long time to wait between clips, but if any enemys are still alive after 18 secs of constant shelling, you would have been dead anyway. It's not like you just sit still for 30 secs and do nothing. With the T71 i always relocate or does some active scouting while i wait.

3Form #5 Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:05 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Beta Tester
  • 18246 battles
  • 1,830
  • Member since:
    09-09-2010

View PostKnerd, on 25 September 2014 - 07:42 PM, said:

I'm still only at the M37, but from what i've tryed on the testservers, it plays alot like the T71 only a little more sluggish in accelaration, but with higher topspeed. And to anyone trying to argue that the non autoloader is the bettet gun: Go ahead and use it, but if i see you in game, me and my autoloader gun will eat you as a pre-breakfast snack. Sure the autoloader takes 18 secs to do the full 1500 damage, but at the same time, the non autoloader will only do about 900 damage. Sure 30 secs is a long time to wait between clips, but if any enemys are still alive after 18 secs of constant shelling, you would have been dead anyway. It's not like you just sit still for 30 secs and do nothing. With the T71 i always relocate or does some active scouting while i wait.

 

Autoloader only reduces the reload time by one third, then you have to sit there reloading for 30 seconds. It's not like the Waffentrager where it takes a 10s+ reload time down to 2s. IMO this makes it not worth it. Ask yourself how often you are allowed to unload on anyone for any length of time when in a LT. It's not very often, once you are spotted people love to point guns at you. Honestly a 2 or 3 round autoloader (like the Chi Ri) would be much better than a 10 round clip that you aren't going to be able to unload completely in one exposure.



Knerd #6 Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:34 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 15421 battles
  • 69
  • Member since:
    09-28-2011

View Post3Form, on 25 September 2014 - 09:05 PM, said:

 

Autoloader only reduces the reload time by one third, then you have to sit there reloading for 30 seconds. It's not like the Waffentrager where it takes a 10s+ reload time down to 2s. IMO this makes it not worth it. Ask yourself how often you are allowed to unload on anyone for any length of time when in a LT. It's not very often, once you are spotted people love to point guns at you. Honestly a 2 or 3 round autoloader (like the Chi Ri) would be much better than a 10 round clip that you aren't going to be able to unload completely in one exposure.

 

When ever i find an isolated ISU-152 with full health, i cant fully kill it in my T71, and before i can reload, backup have arrived (enemy and/or friend), or the ISU have backed up into a cornor or wall or something, forcing me to face his front. When comparing autoloader vs non autoloader the diffrence between 14 secs and 21 secs can easilly be the diffrence between dead TD and dead LT (1200 damage, 2 sec reload vs 3 sec reload, but in truth it's more like 3.2 sec reload witch brings it to about 22.5 secs for 1200 damage). Also, in a scout vs scout situation, the fastest gun wins if the alpha is the same.



3Form #7 Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:53 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Beta Tester
  • 18246 battles
  • 1,830
  • Member since:
    09-09-2010

Fair enough mate, I'm sure it comes down to differing playstyles. I prefer to harass and skirmish rather than go for close-quarter dog fights. I can see the autoloader being more useful for the latter.

 

Just I feel that with an autoloader whenever you aren't making full use of your intra-drum reload then you are wasting potential damage. With 10 rounds I would fire off maybe 3 shots and then have to hide, waiting 10s until I'm unspotted again, which is horrifically inefficient.



BlueHouse #8 Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:56 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 26724 battles
  • 86
  • Member since:
    08-18-2011

http://wotreplays.com/site/1195137#self

 

Best tank ingame, nuff said. Also non-autoloader gun for the win :wub:



Eila_Juutilainen #9 Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:07 PM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 21476 battles
  • 3,884
  • [102ND] 102ND
  • Member since:
    11-04-2012

View Post3Form, on 25 September 2014 - 09:53 PM, said:

Fair enough mate, I'm sure it comes down to differing playstyles. I prefer to harass and skirmish rather than go for close-quarter dog fights. I can see the autoloader being more useful for the latter.

 

Just I feel that with an autoloader whenever you aren't making full use of your intra-drum reload then you are wasting potential damage. With 10 rounds I would fire off maybe 3 shots and then have to hide, waiting 10s until I'm unspotted again, which is horrifically inefficient.

 

This. Autoloader is only good when you can ambush/rush something and unload the full magazine. Normal gun is better when you're playing peekaboo, or something simply has more than 1500 HP.

 

Both the autoloader and the non-autoloader have their advantages and playstyle.



Exozen #10 Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:29 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 32843 battles
  • 1,080
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-
  • Member since:
    08-16-2011

Played it with the STOCK gun , got most damage and XP 2 tier 8 games in a row. 

 

And on top of all that , its fast as a burning rat , and the engine power so so damn great that it flies up hills like nothing. 

 

AND i havent even gotten to the " good " gun yet, now this is a keeper :glasses:



Dan_Abnormal #11 Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:46 AM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 32665 battles
  • 4,420
  • Member since:
    10-14-2011
I use the non-autoloader top gun, can't say as I'm that impressed with it TBH, it's quite big and feels a touch sluggish. LTTB is just insane in comparison.

dennez #12 Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:07 AM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 19072 battles
  • 4,755
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    02-26-2013

This tank is an awesome pocket rocket.. Was gonna post my mastery game, but after seeing BlueHouse's 5K mastery in a tier 9 game, my 3K dmg, 2K spotting mastery seems a bit lackluster :sad:

Tried both the autoloader and the regular top gun but i ended up using the autoloader. The 30 second-ish reload is a great opportunity to relocate/disengage which prevents me from being too aggressive, or hanging around too long.

As most fast autoloaders this tank is superb at end game cleanups. 

Camo seems to be better than expected (full camo crew), are there any trustworthy values/comparisons out yet?

I'm glad i didn't freexp up to the T49 as i originally planned to do. This thing is just SO much fun! :wub:

 



TheMightyScoobles #13 Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:18 AM

    Private

  • Player
  • 21205 battles
  • 25
  • Member since:
    09-22-2011

View Postdennez, on 26 September 2014 - 08:07 AM, said:

This tank is an awesome pocket rocket.. Was gonna post my mastery game, but after seeing BlueHouse's 5K mastery in a tier 9 game, my 3K dmg, 2K spotting mastery seems a bit lackluster :sad:

Tried both the autoloader and the regular top gun but i ended up using the autoloader. The 30 second-ish reload is a great opportunity to relocate/disengage which prevents me from being too aggressive, or hanging around too long.

As most fast autoloaders this tank is superb at end game cleanups. 

Camo seems to be better than expected (full camo crew), are there any trustworthy values/comparisons out yet?

I'm glad i didn't freexp up to the T49 as i originally planned to do. This thing is just SO much fun! :wub:

 

 

Totally agree with you - the 30 second re-load gives me time to take my breath and calm down as I am often to agressive. Brings in a natural pause.



Knerd #14 Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:57 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 15421 battles
  • 69
  • Member since:
    09-28-2011

View PostEila_Juutilainen, on 26 September 2014 - 12:07 AM, said:

 

This. Autoloader is only good when you can ambush/rush something and unload the full magazine. Normal gun is better when you're playing peekaboo, or something simply has more than 1500 HP.

 

Both the autoloader and the non-autoloader have their advantages and playstyle.

 

If something with say 1800 hp lets you shoot at it for 38,4 secs (1800/150=12*3,2=38,4), you might as well shoot st it for 18 secs and then stick around for the time it takes to reload the clip. Still not convinced...



Eila_Juutilainen #15 Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:27 AM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 21476 battles
  • 3,884
  • [102ND] 102ND
  • Member since:
    11-04-2012

View PostKnerd, on 27 September 2014 - 09:57 AM, said:

 

If something with say 1800 hp lets you shoot at it for 38,4 secs (1800/150=12*3,2=38,4), you might as well shoot st it for 18 secs and then stick around for the time it takes to reload the clip. Still not convinced...

 

That's not how non-auloloader tanks generally operate. They take a few shots and then retreat. They're better at playing safe and being constantly effective. Like I said, playing peekaboo completely negates the advantage of your autoloader.

 

Also, your numbers are off. But I'm heading to work now.



dennez #16 Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:23 AM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 19072 battles
  • 4,755
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    02-26-2013

View PostEila_Juutilainen, on 25 September 2014 - 11:07 PM, said:

 

This. Autoloader is only good when you can ambush/rush something and unload the full magazine. Normal gun is better when you're playing peekaboo, or something simply has more than 1500 HP.

 

Both the autoloader and the non-autoloader have their advantages and playstyle.

 

Not really.. Unloading full clips with autoloaders works one some American tanks wit ggreat alpha and very short spikes, but if you're used to the French AMX autoloaders, you'll quickly realise that standing out in the open trying to unload your full clip usually ends up in fail.

However, autoloaders are superb finishers/scavengers and that's exactly how i play my Bulldog. Just passive scout a bit at the beginning of the game, and when everyone is committed then i start to look for openings in the flank and try to finish them off while they're occupied.

The spike of the 10 round autoloader is usually enough to put in 5/6 shots, before they start turning their turrets and i need to gtfo and change my angle of attack. I reload while relocating, flank them from another direction and rinse/repeat.

 

So TL;DR.. 10 round autloader is not about sitting there unloading your clip in one go, but using short bursts to shoot at tanks tanks that either can be finished off HP-wise (calculated taking a return shot while you clip them out) or are occupied elsewhere and allow you to put a couple of quick shots into them.

 



danymsk #17 Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:27 AM

    Private

  • Player
  • 10310 battles
  • 37
  • [GC3B] GC3B
  • Member since:
    03-02-2013
on the test server i personally prefered the non-autoloader, since it's impossible to switch to HEAT with a 10 round auto-loader for 2/3 shots on for example on an is-8 front when needed

Botlike_PlayStyle #18 Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:01 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 22201 battles
  • 694
  • Member since:
    06-17-2011
I'm playing it with the Autoloader, APCR only, 79 Battles, 4019 WN8. Autoloader works fine for me. 

3Form #19 Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:07 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Beta Tester
  • 18246 battles
  • 1,830
  • Member since:
    09-09-2010
Just noticed autoloader has 2 degrees less depression too!

dennez #20 Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:31 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 19072 battles
  • 4,755
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    02-26-2013
btw. Am i just lucky for getting only tier 8 battles atm.??




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users