Featured Clan: British 6th Armoured Division

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Brynd #1 Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:17 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Military Reserve
  • 151 battles
Here we’re continuing with our relatively regular series in which we have a chat with a representative from a clan.  British 6th Armoured Division – Logo

Thanks to the kind assistance of clan commander wilky130, a couple of months ago we sat down for virtual tea and biscuits with dysonraf, the founder and currently deputy commander of the British 6th Armoured Division clan [BRIT6] and [BR1T6] — check out the full interview below! 

How and when did you create the clan and what was the motivation behind the creation of your clan? 

So prior to the clan formation I had played this game from launch after my dad, Dex451 had played it throughout beta testing. I initially started on the North American server (by accident I must add) whilst he was on EU server. I played about 1500 battles before realising I needed to change to EU. When I did I played a few more months solo before coming disillusioned with being on my own and quit for about 6 months. Meanwhile Dex451 continued to grind to tier X and play in clan wars with a clan.

During this time Dex451 left that clan and my friend in real life, Wilky130, mentioned he played WoT and was in a clan called Panzer Lehr with someone else I knew, LordKabal. So I decided to get back into it and joined the clan, also recruiting Dex451 and new to the game Vladimere and Billcook (Vlad was a family friend).

In the clan we met Sixthe9th, Dieselro and Shootankamon. Between those three and us we decided Lehr was just treading water: it didn't get beyond about 30 members and didn't really do anything. The decision was made that Sixthe9th, Dieselro and Shootankamon would form 2. Panzer Division (2PZ) whilst I would form BRIT6. We would work together with the clans where possible. 2PZ were focused on recruiting only experienced players who would commit to training and voice comms...etc., whilst we were trying to be a casual gaming clan and would take anyone. We would still run weekly events but ultimately real life came first.

So, BRIT6 was first formed on 2nd November 2012 by me, dysonraf. The original founders were myself as commander, Dex451 (formerly known as Monkeyhanger701) as deputy commander and Vladimere, Wilky130, LordKabal, and Billcook as recruiters.

What was the biggest challenge for you and how did you overcome it?

The biggest challenge initially was how to grow the clan.  Starting a fresh clan with only 5-6 members meant that people were skeptical about joining as we couldn't provide much more than an idea of what we will do initially.  We got round this by spamming chat at the start of each battle (sorry!) and advertising in the forums.  We ended up getting 2-3 people a day in short time.

How do you organise your clan and keep it running? What's the organisational structure and what would you say are the key parts to it?

This was fairly easy in the early stages as the original founders all took officer roles and all new people were soldiers. Wilky130 and I put the most into it and so were Commander and Deputy.  The key to this structure was everyone knowing their roles.  It didn't always work as particularly recruitment was hit and miss for some officers.  We have ultimately ended up with two clans under the same umbrella of British 6th Armoured Division and so our officer base has quadrupled from starting numbers.  New guys and girls into the clan are nominated by existing officers as having got potential for helping to run it and are then given opportunity on a trial basis.  If it's successful they become a fully fledged officer and if not, nothing is lost and they return to being a soldier.

Due to real life commitments both Wilky130 and I have regularly switched roles between commander and deputy as its always been imperative the figurehead is accessible to the clan members and able to make those decisions which split opinion.

We also advertise the hierarchy of the ranks to members so they know who fits in where and if there are issues with an officer who they can escalate it to.

Do you have an objective as a clan and did you achieve this objective? If you did, what did you do to achieve this? If you didn't, what are you doing to achieve this?

Our original objective was to be a social clan that took part in group activities such as tank companies.  We always said from the outset that real life comes first and that if people couldn't make things then it would be accepted. We did achieve this by creating a voice comms server and by taking part in regular tank companies on a weekly basis which were well attended. We reached that goal fairly quickly however we continue to stretch our targets both by growing the clan in terms of numbers and by taking part in more and more activities and to a higher standard.  In order to achieve these goals we created a second clan (soon to be third) and hold regular training to improve performance and knowledge.

How often do you organize training and what do you focus on? What are you aiming to achieve with your training?

Training is weekly and a fairly relaxed affair.  We want people to unwind while training away from the pressures of games and statistics.  The purpose is for people to grow in knowledge.  So long as everyone gains something however small from a session then it has been worthwhile.  Training is used to get used to new maps, map changes, group tactics or simply to boost morale through officer vs grunts games!

How do you make your tactics for each map / province in Clan Wars? What are the key points you keep in mind when making the tactics?

We don't currently take part in regular clan wars.  This is something we are aspiring to but want to do it when we have a sufficient high tier player base.

What are your opinions on diplomacy between clans? Is your clan one that likes to work with other clans or are you more like a "lone wolf" clan?

From the start we have always embraced other clans as evidenced by our joint venture with 2PZ.  We are yet to enter clan wars in any meaningful way but when the time comes we would likely look for allies.

How do you overcome internal clan issues, disagreements, and problems between members? Are some of your players more important than the rest of the clan, or is everyone equal and responsible for their own actions?

We have had our fair share of issues.  Most have arisen through some players reaching a higher standard in terms of tiers and ability before others. The first real issue to hit the clan was when a couple of our most committed officers and players decided to leave BRIT6 and join 2PZ.   I believe this was because we were perhaps a little too casual for them and their needs now could not be met by us. 

There were other comings and goings but numbers remained healthy. Due to personal reasons I drastically reduced my WoT time but still made time to meet up with Phoenix_Bondi, KTNOLAN, Alexbe64, and predatorannihalator at Tankfest UK in the early summertime with Dex451 and Vladimere. Immediately after this, for various reasons, some other players left the clan in a bit of a mini exodus of some good players. An unfortunate moment however failing to act would have resulted in a clan implosion.

The summer of discontent then began in BRIT6 when a number of players again felt the clan was not progressing quick enough and was not competitive enough. This caused a mini split with the casuals one side and the more hardcore the other side. I could no longer commit enough time to run the clan so handed control to Wilky130 (good timing, lol).

When the cracks started to really show we decided to create BR1T6, a second clan. The hardcore element would move there whilst the more casual gamers remained. This lasted only two weeks before they folded ultimately meaning we lost about 10 members. 10 of our most active and experienced members.  This was due in part to slow recruitment and a feeling that not enough help was provided by the original BRIT6 members.

Sometime after this we recreated BR1T6 the second clan and flooded it with members.  This seemed to instantly remedy the issues we had with trying to cater for casual players and the more hardcore as with nigh on 200 members we could provide sufficient members for any tier required.

How dedicated are you to being a successful clan and what kind of sacrifices have you had to make to achieve what you have? Is responsibility shared equally among clan members?

Between Wilky130 and I, I can safely say we probably spend more time out of game trying to run it successfully than we actually do playing!  This can be fairly boring stuff at times but is satisfying knowing that we are providing a set-up to around 200 people from across Europe that they want to be part of and look forward to logging into.  There are many other officers both past and present who contribute whether in the form of YouTube channels, organising training and events, resolving disagreements, recruiting, leading company battles/7vs7/events... the list goes on but without them it would be an impossible task!

What are you doing to keep the morale in the clan high?

We aim to keep morale high by ultimately having our clan as a fun place to be.  We don't push people into doing things they don't want to and any people who join who upset the harmony are short lived members!  We aim to do as much as possible together whether talking nonsense in group chats, taking part in events, meeting up in real life as we have at Tankfest in the UK the last two years or simply just platooning with friends.

What is more important for you: having fun or being successful?

Fun or successful? I feel these run hand in hand.  People like to have fun but if we are never successful it stops being fun after a while.  Equally if we just focused on success then some of the fun elements can be lost as the win at all costs attitude seeps in.  We are trying to find the perfect harmony somewhere in the middle.  Something we are doing fairly well at currently.

Finally, what do you suggest for new clans to be successful? In your opinion, what is the key to a clan becoming successful?

Success is defined by what you want to achieve.  To some people success is a small clan of 10 real life friends.  To others running 5 clans who compete at the top of the game is their desire.

The key for me as in any walk of life is to make people feel happy in what they are doing.  If morale is high then all the small little issues stay small.  We always try and treat everyone well within the clan and resolve differences early to prevent things getting out of hand.  Remember that this is just a game and people want to have fun and forget about real life for a time.

Finally set a target for what you want to achieve and stick to it.  Make sure new members fully understand what your about and what is expected of them.  Ultimately make sure you can deliver this yourself.  If you're a casual player then your unlikely to succeed running a clan wars clan and equally if you want to win at all costs then running a clan full of casual/social players will not deliver the results you desire.

--

Thank you to for the interview, dysonraf! Good luck to you and the members of British 6th Armoured Division!

Brynd #2 Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:46 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Military Reserve
  • 151 battles
Finally we are publishing an article linking to this interview, so I have "un-hidden" this thread so everyone can read it. :smile:

I just want to take another moment to thank dysonraf & wilky130, especially for their patience. The interview was actually made a few months ago but we haven't had a good opportunity to publish it till now. :smile:

Celandri #3 Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:33 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 19724 battles
nice read, good luck on the battlefield

IronSpear #4 Posted 17 October 2014 - 02:32 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25579 battles

Good luck, 

Some nice folks there. Pretty OK causal clan met some nice people in my time there. I liked that they are honest about being causal but it can cause what they mentioned at some point you just out grow it. 

Anima_ex_chalybe_facta #5 Posted 17 October 2014 - 02:39 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 30751 battles

Nice interview, and its cool to know how the whole thing started. Many thanks to wg staff, dyson and wilky.

BR1T6 soldier and FC, Igor

Edited by Egregorian, 17 October 2014 - 02:39 PM.

SanyaJuutilainen #6 Posted 17 October 2014 - 02:59 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 20845 battles
  • [GUP] GUP
Splendid, ol' chaps. Nice read, hope to meet you on the battlefield!

TordenPanzer #7 Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:05 PM

Private

• Player
  • 21462 battles

Well done, noobs!

Bubblysax #8 Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:51 PM

Private

• Player
  • 41653 battles
  • [UNDES] UNDES

Used to be in BRIT6 (Hi guys, hope all is good with you+).

Great bunch of guys!

Onward and upward

:)

TheStargateNerd #9 Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:41 PM

Private

• Player
  • 10585 battles
Former BRIT6 member and great to see they're doing good :)

Unurautare #10 Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:03 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11366 battles
"What is more important for you: having fun or being successful?"
"Finally, what do you suggest for new clans to be successful? In your opinion, what is the key to a clan becoming successful?"

I'm speechless @awesome questions. At least the answers were way above the questions, in quality.

Mutania #11 Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:53 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 32705 battles
  • [UNDES] UNDES
Oh dear. I feel like such a rebel! :D Good to see that the clans are still doing well even without me! :) (Not surprised you're doing well without Bubbly :D)

Bubblysax #12 Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:36 PM

Private

• Player
  • 41653 battles
  • [UNDES] UNDES

View PostMutania, on 17 October 2014 - 08:53 PM, said:

Oh dear. I feel like such a rebel! :D Good to see that the clans are still doing well even without me! :) (Not surprised you're doing well without Bubbly :D)

So speaks my current team-mate - please could you take him back BRIT6 - I'll even pay real money!)

wilky130 #13 Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:09 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Clan Commander
  • 20270 battles
  • [BRIT6] BRIT6
HELL NO!!! We have standards... lol

Zeds_Dead #14 Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:33 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 22282 battles

Good article, well done guys glad to see another British clan doing well. Good luck for the future and see you on the battlefield. :playing:

Zeds_Dead

[Brits] Britannia

Edited by Zeds_Dead, 18 October 2014 - 07:33 AM.

CausticSoda #15 Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:28 PM

Private

• Player
  • 43498 battles
  • [BRT_6] BRT_6

1st clan I joined and I suspect my last one :)

Certainly not a hardcore clan but has a great feeling with the "family" approach, suits me well.

SirHavocLIVE #16 Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:40 PM

Warrant Officer

• Community Contributor
  • 17399 battles
  • [FILO] FILO

HI Guys,

Great article nice to see another Brit Based clan doing good stuff, well done!!!! I have run into those Brit guys in game on numerous occasions..... always play a solid game and never any flame.

Great work lads I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Regards,

Me and WoT UNI

NecHerculesContraPlures #17 Posted 19 October 2014 - 04:20 AM

Private

• Clan Diplomat
  • 45618 battles
  • [CT-E] CT-E
Greetings lads from Liverpool!!!!

Edited by NecHerculesContraPlures, 19 October 2014 - 04:21 AM.

hawk6774 #18 Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:38 AM

Private

• Player
  • 38393 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Well done

wilky130 #19 Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:37 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Clan Commander
  • 20270 battles
  • [BRIT6] BRIT6

Thank you ALL for the kind remarks and well wishes.

To show my thanks I've left some kind +1s for you all.

DamEdge #20 Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:46 PM

Private

• Player
  • 32457 battles

Great to see you guys doing well. :-)

Always a friendly place to be.  If you want a home to have some banter or play some toons/TCs they are a good bet.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users