Jump to content


Building a PC


  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Woody1999 #1 Posted 25 October 2014 - 11:36 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 16396 battles
  • 6,487
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    05-15-2011

Heyo.

 

So, I'm starting to save up for a PC, got £200 so far and will hopefully plan to buy the parts next September. Yes, that is a long time away. But it has an upside, I hope that some of my parts will drop in price.

 

Here is my third draft for a build:

 

Spoiler

 

Okay. I know. You're probably thinking that a lot of this is poor quality and too cheap, which is probably true, but I am on a very tight budget here, literally no leeway over £700.

 

I've already contacted a friend who is a stronk IT boff and has told me that it will work and it is an okay build, but I want to know if I can get any parts that may "compliment" the other parts better or get me better performance for the same price.

 

This is my first build of a PC so I am still pretty noob in this subject, don't be too harsh. :tongue:

 

Thanks in advance,

 

Woody



overcorpse #2 Posted 25 October 2014 - 11:49 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 21307 battles
  • 292
  • [BRTD] BRTD
  • Member since:
    10-16-2011

Ermm?If your going to buy the parts next September then that list will be horribly outdated.

 

My advice.....save your money.400-600 quid,buy your parts when you have the money and you will be golden.

 

Edited to add.An AMD  A10 is no way a gaming cpu.I am a big time fan of AMD.Even though I run a Intel,AMD are amazing for budget concious builders,but you need to stay away from their APU's.


Edited by overcorpse, 26 October 2014 - 12:02 AM.


Woody1999 #3 Posted 26 October 2014 - 12:19 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 16396 battles
  • 6,487
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    05-15-2011

View Postovercorpse, on 25 October 2014 - 11:49 PM, said:

Ermm?If your going to buy the parts next September then that list will be horribly outdated.

 

My advice.....save your money.400-600 quid,buy your parts when you have the money and you will be golden.

 

Edited to add.An AMD  A10 is no way a gaming cpu.I am a big time fan of AMD.Even though I run a Intel,AMD are amazing for budget concious builders,but you need to stay away from their APU's.

 

Thanks for the reply. Do you know any better processors then, which I could get for less than £100? I'm looking for quad-core or more.

 

It's not entirely a gaming rig, bear in mind. I have to use it for work too.

 

Woody



TNTGibbon #4 Posted 26 October 2014 - 01:01 AM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 17922 battles
  • 231
  • [SCRUB] SCRUB
  • Member since:
    12-29-2012
Hey woody, save your money up, then draft your shopping list. The only things that I would get and not worry about going out of date are the case, the psu and ancillaries. Other than that, see what's on sale when you have the money. There are often very good cpu, gpu, memory and mother board bundles out there if you have the cash to spend then and there.

daddlar #5 Posted 26 October 2014 - 08:41 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 29327 battles
  • 924
  • [D0NG] D0NG
  • Member since:
    01-11-2013

View Postovercorpse, on 25 October 2014 - 11:49 PM, said:

 

Edited to add.An AMD  A10 is no way a gaming cpu.I am a big time fan of AMD.Even though I run a Intel,AMD are amazing for budget concious builders,but you need to stay away from their APU's.

Do you know what a AMD APU really is? I can tell you don't. A10 is the opposite of what you're trying to tell us.

 

To get the most out of a AMD APU you benefit a lot from having the fastest RAM the MoBo can take.

Do consider a 285 over a 280x.

 

 

AMD A10 780k APU. budget builds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWans5FU4cU

 

R9 280 vs R9 285 vs GTX 760

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oFfYAPXjVI

 


Edited by daddlar, 26 October 2014 - 08:44 AM.


Woody1999 #6 Posted 26 October 2014 - 10:29 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 16396 battles
  • 6,487
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    05-15-2011

Argh! Scrubs everywhere! :tongue:

 

Thanks for the helpful guides daddlar mate, but I've read and seen that the 280x is a better card than the 285? Gibbo, are you saying I should buy the parts when I get the chance? The site I use (http://uk.pcpartpicker.com) gets the cheapest price it can find from around the web. What would you recommend I get first?

 

Woody



sword_of_Damocles #7 Posted 26 October 2014 - 11:06 AM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 60864 battles
  • 5,304
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    03-26-2011

550w for a power supply unit?Try finding something with at least 750w.Duuno if yhat composition will be able to run with such low power supply.Also try to find a full tower.Better air flow,more room for parts and more handy for maintenance.Usually tower is an ignored part of the pc.My tower(bought back at 2004) is this http://icrontic.com/article/thermaltake_xaser_iii_v1000d_pc_case_review

Since then i have changed components 4 times but the tower still remains.

 

We live in different countries,so i can't suggest you any specific sites to look up(different currency and different VAT).Hope someone who lives in UK,will provide you shops with pc parts!

 

Cheers Woody!!



overcorpse #8 Posted 26 October 2014 - 12:52 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 21307 battles
  • 292
  • [BRTD] BRTD
  • Member since:
    10-16-2011

View Postdaddlar, on 26 October 2014 - 08:41 AM, said:

Do you know what a AMD APU really is? I can tell you don't. A10 is the opposite of what you're trying to tell us.

 

To get the most out of a AMD APU you benefit a lot from having the fastest RAM the MoBo can take.

Do consider a 285 over a 280x.

 

 

AMD A10 780k APU. budget builds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWans5FU4cU

 

R9 280 vs R9 285 vs GTX 760

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oFfYAPXjVI

 

I fully aware what an APU is thanks but you on the other hand don't,or if you did you would not be trying to push one on to him.Those vids you linked are benching last gen games.Good luck running this gen multi core games at a decent detail on an APU that has no room for a further upgraded due to the fm2 socket,/golf clap.

 

Now if you had any clue at all you would of advised him  to look at http://www.cclonline.com/product/93471/FD6300WMHKBOX/CPUs/AMD-FX-6300-Six-Core-CPU/CPU0155/ or if his budget can stretch http://www.cclonline.com/product/93470/FD8320FRHKBOX/CPUs/AMD-FX-8320-Eight-Core-CPU/CPU0154/  paired with a discrete card will trounce the A10 in multi threaded games,overclocks wonderfully and leave him room to further upgrade due to the AM3+ board.

 

And to emphasise my point http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/ubisoft-assassin-s-creed-unity-requirements,news-49125.html this is where PC is heading,good luck with your A10 APU.

 

And who you calling a scrub woody?


Edited by overcorpse, 26 October 2014 - 01:27 PM.


Woody1999 #9 Posted 26 October 2014 - 02:58 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 16396 battles
  • 6,487
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    05-15-2011

View Postsword_of_Damocles, on 26 October 2014 - 10:06 AM, said:

550w for a power supply unit?Try finding something with at least 750w.Duuno if yhat composition will be able to run with such low power supply.Also try to find a full tower.Better air flow,more room for parts and more handy for maintenance.Usually tower is an ignored part of the pc.My tower(bought back at 2004) is this http://icrontic.com/article/thermaltake_xaser_iii_v1000d_pc_case_review

Since then i have changed components 4 times but the tower still remains.

 

We live in different countries,so i can't suggest you any specific sites to look up(different currency and different VAT).Hope someone who lives in UK,will provide you shops with pc parts!

 

Cheers Woody!!

 

The 550W power supply is alright, because it can still supply 100W more power than I need for all the components, so I'll stick with that until I need more power, thanks anyway sword! I was looking at a full tower but I measured the space under my desk and found that the tower wouldn't fit in! Do you know of any cases that will fit under 550mm?

 

View Postovercorpse, on 26 October 2014 - 11:52 AM, said:

And who you calling a scrub woody?

 

The scrubs. Look a bit harder this time. :tongue:

 

Woody



Ulfhedinn_ #10 Posted 26 October 2014 - 03:06 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 48246 battles
  • 7,041
  • Member since:
    05-02-2013

Don't mention Bournemouth!

Poor old Blues, you have my deepest commiserations Woody, League 1 is no place for Blues to end up but then you shouldn't have sacked Clarke :facepalm: Btw, you can have Roger Johnson back if you like, we'll swap him for a T2.

 

And you play us next...:playing:


Edited by Maxmk6, 26 October 2014 - 03:07 PM.


basin79 #11 Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:05 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 15351 battles
  • 8,770
  • Member since:
    03-13-2012
Woody just ignore looking for a pc and just keep saving up. By the time you're ready to buy one tech will have moved on loads. Plus when you have saved up make sure you shop around on line. I've said it before but my pc that I speced was actually cheaper to buy from Chillblast than buy all the components and building it myself.

Woody1999 #12 Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:08 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 16396 battles
  • 6,487
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    05-15-2011

View PostMaxmk6, on 26 October 2014 - 02:06 PM, said:

Don't mention Bournemouth!

Poor old Blues, you have my deepest commiserations Woody, League 1 is no place for Blues to end up but then you shouldn't have sacked Clarke :facepalm: Btw, you can have Roger Johnson back if you like, we'll swap him for a T2.

 

And you play us next...:playing:

 

The funny way football goes, I think we're actually gonna beat you this game. :tongue:

 

Woody



Ulfhedinn_ #13 Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:24 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 48246 battles
  • 7,041
  • Member since:
    05-02-2013
And in particular the funny way Wolves goes, I wouldn't be at all surprised. 

Hexen #14 Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:31 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 23295 battles
  • 1,709
  • [ORCA] ORCA
  • Member since:
    10-23-2013

Hi woody, I personally would not go for the AMD processor as they are not the chips they use to be and find that Intel are just the better chip but they do cost a lot more and that means also a different motherboard as you well know.  The graphic card is well capable of playing any game you Chuck at it and I would recommend 16 gig of memory instead of going for 8 gig...its worth the extra cash, but its all down to what you can afford in the end.

 

All the best mate.


Edited by Hexen, 26 October 2014 - 05:44 PM.


_PapaSmurf_ #15 Posted 26 October 2014 - 06:11 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 347 battles
  • 487
  • Member since:
    07-31-2013

View PostHexen, on 26 October 2014 - 04:31 PM, said:

 I would recommend 16 gig of memory instead of going for 8 gig...its worth the extra cash

 

Really? 

http://www.techbuyer...m/RAMgaming.php

 



Woody1999 #16 Posted 26 October 2014 - 06:24 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 16396 battles
  • 6,487
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    05-15-2011

View Post_PapaSmurf_, on 26 October 2014 - 05:11 PM, said:

 

Reassuring, thanks.

 

Woody



_PapaSmurf_ #17 Posted 26 October 2014 - 06:36 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 347 battles
  • 487
  • Member since:
    07-31-2013

View PostWoody1999, on 26 October 2014 - 05:24 PM, said:

Reassuring, thanks.

 

You are very welcome. 

 

 

 


Edited by _PapaSmurf_, 27 October 2014 - 11:08 AM.


Tonyb1968 #18 Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:42 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 27420 battles
  • 1,422
  • [TEC] TEC
  • Member since:
    08-13-2011

Memory does make a difference (just read exactly what they put, they do say that the 16GB does perform better than the rest but only just), what you will get is smoother running (i noticed this going from 8-16gb) but you will then be hindered by your OS as the version you want only supports a maxium of 16GB, 8GB will work ok unless you can pick up some 2nd hand ram which will be cheaper (its going up in price now unfortunately).

The intel i5 is a better chip to go for but its more expensive (not by much and the new chips come out next year meaning the Haswell's will drop in price), but most things will be out of date by September next year, also look for bundles as they work out cheaper than buying parts from all over (and having to pay p&p on all those individual items), scan and aria both do systems (i prefer Scan over Aria tbh, go into both and you will see why, Aria is in Belle Vue and Scan is in Horwich (Bolton)).


Edited by Tonyb1968, 28 October 2014 - 04:45 AM.


daddlar #19 Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:39 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 29327 battles
  • 924
  • [D0NG] D0NG
  • Member since:
    01-11-2013

View Postovercorpse, on 26 October 2014 - 12:52 PM, said:

 

And to emphasise my point http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/ubisoft-assassin-s-creed-unity-requirements,news-49125.html this is where PC is heading,good luck with your A10 APU.

 

Omg, that's an insane direction the gaming industry is taking. I spent a total of 1200€ on my system 5 months ago and it doesn't reach the recommended specs.

 

 

overcorpse, on 26 October 2014 - 12:52 PM, said:

I fully aware what an APU is thanks but you on the other hand don't,or if you did you would not be trying to push one on to him.Those vids you linked are benching last gen games.Good luck running this gen multi core games at a decent detail on an APU that has no room for a further upgraded due to the fm2 socket,/golf clap.

 

How do you bench a PC-system against future games?

 

I aimed only at providing a source of further information for people to look at enabling them to start make up their own mind. I'm in no way trying to push people. I also expect people to be critical against anything said.

 

I get the picture AMD APUs are specifically designed with gaming in mind. Yes? No? Most games require much more of the GPU than the CPU. APUs are different and work different. AFAIK AMD is pushing substantial R&D into APUs. FM2+ might not be a dead end.


Edited by daddlar, 29 October 2014 - 05:38 PM.


Pansenmann #20 Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:38 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 34554 battles
  • 12,830
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    08-17-2012

on topic:

I went for used parts nowadays, since they are well tested, there are drivers available for linux and I know how to deal with technical difficulties.

 

My suggestion: get an intel i5 or at least high-Ghz i3 CPU - i7 is overkill imo

8 GB RAM is fine unless you plan to run some VM's alongside your OS

try an AMD (Ati) graphics unit. I heard the '270ies have very good performance/price ratio.

as for HDD - you dont really need an SSD as main drive. Unless you are impatient enough and Windows boot times of 2 Minutes are too much for you. :tongue:

For the game(s) of course, an SSD boosts loading time to a state, where you have to wait 45 seconds till battle start.

 

for ~ 300€ you can get very good used parts, mostly high-end stuff from overlast season.

It can still last for 2-3 more years.

 

PS: will get me this case for xmas and a new '270 AMD graphics unit +  maybe a 4 TB HDD :smile:

 


Edited by Pansenmann, 29 October 2014 - 09:39 PM.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users