Quitting this addictive hell-hole (not a whine thread)

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

sword_of_Damocles #61 Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:38 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 61692 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Give your account details to your wife!! :trollface:

She will make sure that you will play less

xxlguru #62 Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:42 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 42700 battles

@Doolio first part and wisdom for all :smile:

Well game addiction can take your life to.

Between my FPS time and WOT time I have played WoW. Yeah I know.

Well I have played on Outland. Have had two epic chars and with one of them I have raided with alts of Union (best guild on Outland back in the time) and with other char I was Officer and Raid leader in some not that important Guild.

Dark time of my life. Big time addiction. Sure I was game addict long time before  WoW. In time of FPS rage I was attending LAN parties and competitions and have had PC especially build for it. Like you start after work Friday and end up home in middle of the Sunday night. No or almost no sleep. Though I was younger back then.

During my WoW period I was after some 5,5 years log relationship and I have had enough of pretty much everything. I have seen way to much in my life time to so being disappointed is nothing new to me.

So life was work and WoW. I let WoW schedule my life. Raid's and duties. Progress. I got damn Shadowmourne to.

Back to the story. Best player on Outland was Dutch player called David. His main was a DK and he have had many other chars. He knew all class and all functions and wait he knew all. People knew Xeneida.

He was a soul of Union. He was person developing tactics how to do newest fights. He was ultimate raid leader. Some called him Hitler due to his nature not to tolerate any craphow ever little it might be. There was not room for error nor for dicking around or not performing good. You come unprepared and you are out. He demanded perfection. 

He have had like 5-6 great players on almost same level as he is but without leadership capabilities like his. They have done what he said. Absolute trust although they where all complicated strong persons. He tamed everyone to perform and be professional.

He have had it all you can have in game.

I have became friend with him just like 3 days before it happened. HE was very nice to me. Very very nice person.

One black day I log in. Screams everywhere. I was like WTF? They have said Xeneida killed him self. I have found his very best friend and he told me.

David was Dutch boy. In University. He stopped working. Stopped going to University. Started taking credits and spending it just to order pizza and stay home playing. He became a plant. When his Parent found out about it and wanted to come and get him he went to local train station and stepped in front of a train. No Ctrl + Z. No respawn. No deleting account and starting new one. He killed him self.

So game addiction can kill you. actually person can kill him self with any addiction.

I felt like crapfor months after it. Why the hell have I became friends with him? If I have not talked with him it would hurt less. How the F have not I seen depression in Him? His best friend told me he said he will kill him self like 100x before to him. I did not knew it.

Anyhow addiction is as dangerous as much as you let it control you.

Some addiction when you are grown up and have had life and things that come with it is not that bad. You earn your money and you spend it how you want. OFC if you have money to spend and it it does nto make influence to other things.

Problem is that in virtual world propel who think thy are formed and they are not, people that never have had relations or real friends become addicted to what they are in game. They trade real life with their addiction and virtual friends.

Friends are friends, virtual or none. Girls are girls virtual or none. Bu if you want to be alive you have to go out and be able to hug your friends and "touch" girls. You can nto do that behind your keyboard. Have a life other then life substitute in virtual world.

Do not think game addiction is safe one.

Do not trust me? Then search web for David and read.

Edited by xxlguru, 28 October 2014 - 11:42 AM.

VendettADutch #63 Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:42 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 4366 battles
  • [BL33T] BL33T

Real life server is boring,laggs a lot,you lose a lot and it will cost you even more in the end,hence games.

But I was a game addict, played monstersgame a game about werewolves and vampires for over 5 years..to the point my wife wanted to divorce me,I was so hooked I did not really care,all I did was work and game,I was sleeping a few hours a day at most....but..I was no 1 in stats,and unbeatable, best in the world in a at the time 5 million playerbase ( on paper)...to bad I was the biggest loser in real life, took me years and a big burnout to get my addiction away from me...jeez...now I do pixel tanks,I learned when to quit,stopped buying premium tanks and play for free now,but that little monster in my head keeps talking to me hahaha,I swear it is today's most dangerous and underestimated drug.

Bogey_079 #64 Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:43 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8799 battles

View PostRandomNumberGenerator, on 28 October 2014 - 11:18 AM, said:

Counting the money and time I spent on virutal products happened.. 

Gotta log on the real life server

I get you, the money isn't the problem (even though I spend way too much on this game), but it has taken over more time than I'm comfortable with. I have to either cut down and limit my playing, or, if that doesn't work, just quit. Funny thing is that I'm not that easy addicted to anything really, and usually don't play PC-games that much (not at all over long periods even), but WoT is really addictive. It's fun, but it's taking over way too much of my time.

Speed_Of_Pain #65 Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:37 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 6365 battles
  • [READ] READ
I'm fine with WoT taking all my free time and social life (who need it anyway ?) game is fun, I had thoughts similair to yours some time ago but I just made a few month break and now it's all fine - I got tired of people around me, of routine and game is suddenly very pleasing again.

Doolio #66 Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 6448 battles
  • [DCDM] DCDM

Block Quote

​Do not think game addiction is safe one.

Oh, no I don't, I just meant that you can't literally die from a video game, as in, overdose or get cirrhosis.

On the other hand, there's always an underlying SOMETHING that pushed you in the direction of addiction. Fear of life? Repressed memories? A certain disappointment? Meaning that David had problems that only manifested through his WoW obsession, he didn't kill himself because of WoW. WoW was just a tool, an escapism pill perhaps.

And yes, of course, that is true for most of drug and alcohol addicts. BUT, not for all - because there's a strong physical component of addiction present. There isn't such component in a video game addiction. There are a lot of simply "unlucky" alcoholics, which became like that due to carelessness or lack of knowledge, or even genetic "weakness" to alcohol addiction. And when the physical/chemical machinery is hooked, then it becomes scary, and in relatively lot of cases - final.

With video games is different, as they lack such components. David's problems didn't have anything to do with WoW. WoW was just "chosen". WoW was the result, not the cause. Which can, but doesn't have to be the case with, for example, alcohol. There are a lot of cases of people that became heavy alcoholics because they drank one glass of wine a day that was recommended by a doctor, because of their heart. It had nothing to do with their minds whatsoever.

With things like video games, when there's an addiction, there's ALWAYS an underlying motive, a scheme that benefits from that addiction. Video games are a perfect defense mechanism, as they are immersive and engaging, meaning that you can protect yourself quite effectively by letting them occupy your time and resources if there's something you don't want to discover.

But the good thing about video games is that our friend, the OP, will probably come out of all this completely unscathed, both physically and mentally (with a certain period of crisis, I would assume:) ), whereas a heroin addict, even when saved, is simply chemically/physically screwed for the rest of his life, as you can't rebuild little brain stuffz which you severed, no more.

Block Quote

Problem is that in virtual world propel who think thy are formed and they are not, people that never have had relations or real friends become addicted to what they are in game. They trade real life with their addiction and virtual friends.

Friends are friends, virtual or none. Girls are girls virtual or none. Bu if you want to be alive you have to go out and be able to hug your friends and "touch" girls. You can nto do that behind your keyboard. Have a life other then life substitute in virtual world.

This is a very important, but an incredibly broad subject to discuss here. But yes, that is a "modern global" problem. The main problem with this problem (ha!) is that it's about he whole global concept of "not touching" going strong and it's not about video games, it's about the whole internet communication, lingo, mobile phones, exaggerated forced individualism, uniform trends, false sense of accomplishment when you get a "like" or whatever, pixelization of others etc.

For example, that reminded me, I am friends with a psychotherapist who has very strange approach to therapy, some kind of shock therapy which often works in a relatively short time, so he has had thousands and thousands of clients. And 90% of his clients are impotent males - in their early twenties. Now, imagine those young dudes going to a shrink and it's not about "there's this girl and we kinda fell apart and now I want to kill myself" or "my [edited]is too small and I'm insecure" or "my father is a dictator!" etc. but instead, they're impotent. And it's not because he's the guy you go to when you're impotent, he's a regular shrink. It's just that statistically, that's the clientele.

There is nothing physically, biologically wrong with their bodies. It's just a simple case of acute depersonalization (basically, in their case, a reparable severed mind-body connection), often very swiftly succesfully treated, which is mainly caused by interwebz as a whole. As you've said, you have to exercise "touch" (and not just in a physical sense) as we are still homo sapiens and thus much more suited to run around and "touch" and maybe even hit each other with clubs (why not, it could be fun!:D) than to interweb. And as such, our minds and bodies are getting confused, because you are fed something, but you aren't really being fed. And then you start to die of hunger and you're like "wat", because you just "ate". Except you didn't:)

Edited by Doolio, 28 October 2014 - 01:01 PM.

Celandri #67 Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 19698 battles

the thing i would done, is to block your payment ability to pay to wargaming, talk to your bank to block that transaction or paypal if you use that. :) and then you cannot use money, unless of course you get desperate.

stopping right out is pain, tried that once, but well the game is pretty addictive so i came back and again and again.

Mostly the reason is friends you meet in the game.

Murre09 #68 Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:04 PM

Private

• Player
  • 10394 battles

well im said to hear this but you do what you think is the best

RIP RNG

ps: hope you will be back one day

_kerber_ #69 Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:12 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 25988 battles

I would say, what there is no way to be addicted with video game and have success in real life at same time. If you will say its possible, most likely your doors to reality closed not enough (but it would happen, if you continue walk at same direction) .

If you will not find balance between game VS reality, step by step you will lose/destroy everything around you in real life (job/girl/money/friends)

Is it worth that? I would say absolutely no!

So tankers, enjoy a game, but dont let this game be your actual life :blinky:

_sky_is_blue_ #70 Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:25 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 100 battles
What about selling your account?

ArrNgee #71 Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:30 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 28286 battles
  • [-322-] -322-
I would sell it if it was legal, but it's not so I cannot :harp:

GiraffeInATopHat #72 Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:02 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 4600 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Give the account to someone else and let them change email and password so you cannot get onto the account again. Simples

_sky_is_blue_ #73 Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:23 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 100 battles
So you waste tons of money in a game and don't even get a single euro back?

VendettADutch #74 Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:00 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 4366 battles
  • [BL33T] BL33T

View PostGiraffeInATopHat, on 28 October 2014 - 03:02 PM, said:

Give the account to someone else and let them change email and password so you cannot get onto the account again. Simples

no don't do that sseriously Don't,I did exactly that with my monstersgame account,than I saw a little time later ( yes I sneaky was monitoring it),he was feckung the account up according to my standards, and I moved heaven and earth to get it back...I got it deleted in perfect shape...and if you do want to give it away,give it to someone nearby.... So you can punch him in the face if needed  :-p

Edited by VendettADutch, 28 October 2014 - 07:10 PM.

Celandri #75 Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:39 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 19698 battles
give it to some in the family (nephews or somethings?) and the acc is still in the hands of some who want to play, just tell them not to sell the gold tanks, as well not possible to recover them if you want the acc back later after your dry period of 3-12 months

mystikro #76 Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:04 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 31989 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostRandomNumberGenerator, on 28 October 2014 - 10:07 AM, said:

1. Free XP. Had almost 2 mill free XP, now I have 500k

2. These bundles with 12.5 mill creds and 12 500 gold

3. Premium tanks

It can all add up to that amount. Just 2 of those bundles mentioned above comes to 200 eur.

Ah, a gold ammo spammer leaving the game, if only more would follow your example.

Gold spammers make the game miserable for the rest of the players. You are addicted because it's point and click and you get a tank that you want in a day or two, but the players that actually use standard ammo or don't skip tanks with gold it is frustrating. Frustration keeps you moderate about the game. Makes you quit for a while, come back later. Eventually you stop coming back to it. Maybe that's where you've gone wrong, when you decided to skip natural progression and just skip tanks, skip aiming and started pressing "2" too often.

Addiction is made, not born, so I have little compasion for people that are addicted to anything.

Edited by mystikro, 30 October 2014 - 08:19 AM.

Cobra6 #77 Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:40 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16401 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Why not just quite for a couple of months? That is what I usually do and it works quite well.

Cobra 6

cyberwraithx1 #78 Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:00 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 20058 battles
  • [-WTN-] -WTN-
Should you just play this game for the fun, social element, well keep on playing. I can appreciate your concern about it being a 'sick little addiction' , thing is, don't let it, as others have pointed out, take a break, take stock and set yourself limits on what you spend. Advice is given, not always to be taken.

Jocker_bih #79 Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:06 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 33179 battles
Noooo, don't delete it, make it a gift. FOR MEEEE!!!!! :teethhappy:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users