KV-2 model kit

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Drone81 #1 Posted 31 October 2014 - 10:31 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 20301 battles
  • [1VTD] 1VTD

recently been back into model kit building.

first item i build and finished was the infamous KV-2 Heavy Tank.

keep in mind i am not a proffesional model kit builder, i just do it for the fun.

a few pictures to see the progress (of sorts) and the end result, pictures are NOT taken by a decent camera, so the quality and appearences on the model maybey bleh :(

cyberwraithx1 #2 Posted 02 November 2014 - 10:55 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 20058 battles
  • [-WTN-] -WTN-
You've done a great job there. The dodgy camera adds to the effect. GJ dude!

GrumblingGrenade #3 Posted 02 November 2014 - 10:59 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 5913 battles

I have to say, that is a brilliant model! The pieces are all precisely cemented together, with little or no sprue showing at all! The painting is brilliant, and the weathering technique of the chipped paint and rust is fantastic! It looks great, and the decal on the turret really adds to it! Great job, a truly excellent model of a fearsome tank!

:blinky:

Drone81 #4 Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:36 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 20301 battles
  • [1VTD] 1VTD

tank you tank you :)

any thoughts on the next WWII based tank i should build? :)

Panocek #5 Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:40 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29050 battles
While it looks good, but any tank commander would get imprisoned for letting tank rot to such state. Amount of rust fits more "just excavated from swamp" than battle worn.

Drone81 #6 Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:34 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 20301 battles
  • [1VTD] 1VTD

View PostPanocek, on 28 November 2014 - 08:40 AM, said:

While it looks good, but any tank commander would get imprisoned for letting tank rot to such state. Amount of rust fits more "just excavated from swamp" than battle worn.

that was more ore less the idea i was going for :D

a long used KV-2 that has gone trough alot of fighting and action, lack of supplies and maintenance in a wet and cold surroundings.

i never liked the idea for model kits to look like they just came from the factory..

Panocek #7 Posted 28 November 2014 - 11:10 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29050 battles

View PostDrone81, on 28 November 2014 - 09:34 AM, said:

that was more ore less the idea i was going for :D

a long used KV-2 that has gone trough alot of fighting and action, lack of supplies and maintenance in a wet and cold surroundings.

i never liked the idea for model kits to look like they just came from the factory..

"Long lack of supplies and maintenance" would cause small pockets of rust in areas where water would collect, not half turret rusting away. Tracks and wheels would catch some rust, other than that IIRC tankers often had spare can of paint, mostly to fix small pockets of rust and to coat shining edges (you don't want to get spotted due to rubbed off corners etc), in worst case I'd imagine scorching/charring spots to reduce shining.

For "battle worn" effect you could apply armor patches from field repairs, small dents/ricochet marks on armor - lets say small armored plate welded on armor and painted with slightly different paint tone, less weathered etc.

Drone81 #8 Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:36 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 20301 battles
  • [1VTD] 1VTD

View PostPanocek, on 28 November 2014 - 11:10 AM, said:

"Long lack of supplies and maintenance" would cause small pockets of rust in areas where water would collect, not half turret rusting away. Tracks and wheels would catch some rust, other than that IIRC tankers often had spare can of paint, mostly to fix small pockets of rust and to coat shining edges (you don't want to get spotted due to rubbed off corners etc), in worst case I'd imagine scorching/charring spots to reduce shining.

For "battle worn" effect you could apply armor patches from field repairs, small dents/ricochet marks on armor - lets say small armored plate welded on armor and painted with slightly different paint tone, less weathered etc.

i do what i can with the means and tools and expierence that i have, i just need to look at some more YT vids to effectifly create dents/richochets etc :(

GrumblingGrenade #9 Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:07 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 5913 battles

View PostDrone81, on 28 November 2014 - 03:36 AM, said:

tank you tank you :)

any thoughts on the next WWII based tank i should build? :)

I'd go with an M4A1 Sherman. Italeri do an excellent kit of the Sherman, and it's relatively easy to build and still looks great! I'd go with the most famous tanks, like the Tiger, Panther, Sherman, Churchill etc. , the ones you are most familiar with, and then move on to other tanks. I'd say the StuG III is a must to build!

Some advice: If you want to create dents, when the model is complete, if you're feeling brave you can heat up a screwdriver or metal applicant and apply it to where you want the dent to be. This will hopefully partially melt the plastic inwards, and then paint over it in the desired colours for your ricochet. I recommend the book: "Military Vehicle Modelling", by Phil Greenwood - it's a great book full of good tips and handy little ways to make your vehicle look more realistic.

Military Vehicle Modelling, by Phil Greenwood:

If you want to create a really battle-worn tank model, here's a few tips:

1: Don't always go by the instructions: You can create a really damaged looking model by veering off the instructions on certain parts. One of the most effective ways of doing this is on the suspension and the tracks. For it to look good, you really need a kit where you have to make the tracks yourself, (believe me, it's hard to make), and you can manipulate the look of the tracks to make them droop, and even make it look like the vehicle has been tracked! With the suspension changes, you could make them seem damaged by having them slightly off where they're supposed to be, or even move them or remove them completely! It really adds a nice little effect to your model, if you want to make it look like it's falling to pieces!

2: Painting technique: I find that layering up layers of rust over a base coat works really well. Over the standard Olive Drab colour of most tanks, I'd apply a diluted coat of Rust, (paint colour), and leave it to dry. I'd then apply the colour Tan, again watered down, and cover the model with both of these colours, though have them watered down enough so that you can still see the Olive Drab beneath them. When both of these coats have dried, add a shiny coat of black paint, again watered down where you don't want it to be prominent, though really thick where you do, like around the engine compartment. This creates a really nice sense of oil and soot, and when the black is applied correctly it really shines like sticky, half dried oil, and will remain shiny for another few months before the paint finally completely dries and loses it's shine. This creates a nice sense of leaked fuel and oil, and when applied to the most mechanical areas of a tank such as the turret drive or the running gear it can look really effective!

Drone81 #10 Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:50 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 20301 battles
  • [1VTD] 1VTD

next model that is going to be build;

Tamiya U.S. M41 Walker Bulldog 1:35

il keep the tips in mind, but yes, following instructions is not always the way to go, a lesson i learned in the beginning i created model kits years ago :(

CaptainBlaubar #11 Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:48 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7708 battles

Hey Drone 81,

nice model. The breech could have needed some more rust...

Have you worked with PE parts before or are you very new to the genre and you just build them as they are delivered in the box?

As for new project inspiration, Tiger I including full interior. It helps getting good at modelling and is fun. However a hell of a lot of research involved. My build is 6 months old by now. ( I allow myself to post the link to my log, hope that is allright)

http://forum.worldof...duction-series/

@GrumblingGrenade

Italeri? They are the worst plastic kits I have ever come across, I would never recommend Italeri to anyone. Or have they gotten better in recent years?

Edited by CaptainBlaubar, 09 December 2014 - 03:53 PM.

Drone81 #12 Posted 10 December 2014 - 12:58 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 20301 battles
  • [1VTD] 1VTD

View PostCaptainBlaubar, on 09 December 2014 - 03:48 PM, said:

Hey Drone 81,

nice model. The breech could have needed some more rust...

Have you worked with PE parts before or are you very new to the genre and you just build them as they are delivered in the box?

As for new project inspiration, Tiger I including full interior. It helps getting good at modelling and is fun. However a hell of a lot of research involved. My build is 6 months old by now. ( I allow myself to post the link to my log, hope that is allright)

http://forum.worldof...duction-series/

@GrumblingGrenade

Italeri? They are the worst plastic kits I have ever come across, I would never recommend Italeri to anyone. Or have they gotten better in recent years?

thx :D

i have build plastic model kits before, but due to lack of intrest, time and money, that hobby was placed on hold (and the fact toy stores here only sell a limited amount, professional model kit stores are even harder to find in Belgium).

the new part for me in model kit building is using airbrush and weathering, but then again, i got youtube for usefull tips :)

CaptainBlaubar #13 Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:50 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7708 battles

There are not too many good stores in Germany either.

Especially all these plastic and aluminum parts, metal rods and all that.... Better to buy them online as the selection and variety are just best there.

modellbau-koenig is my site of choice.

Excellent service and super-fast delivery, site is in EN and GER.

Ye, youtube is a great tool these days in scale-modeling. 

GrumblingGrenade #14 Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:29 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 5913 battles

View PostCaptainBlaubar, on 09 December 2014 - 02:48 PM, said:

@GrumblingGrenade

Ironically, yes, they have gotten much better. Comparing older kits, such as their old Elefant, (which was the only one on the market at that time), with newer kits does show a drastic increase in overall quality. For example, in their old Elefant, there was a lot of flash and unwanted sink-holes; some of the hull parts were warped and pieces did not fit together and had to be re-grafted with a knife of some description. However, comparing this older kit to a newer one such as their M4A1 Sherman, there is an obvious increase in quality. I found the Sherman a pleasure to build, and was satisfied by the pieces, the detail, and overall quality of the kit. Nevertheless, I would still choose a Tamiya kit above others; their Panther is an excellent model, and I'd highly recommend building it at some point.

@Drone81, have you heard of "Accurate Armour"? They produce small little "extras" that can be added to your kits that really improve the overall realism of the model, such as metal grates and vehicle stowage. They can be added to any model, and look really effective when painted correctly and used efficiently:

A Sherman Tank with Accurate Armour Extras Added On:

When adding little extras like this, always think like the crews would have when they put on extra stowage: "Will this inhibit vehicle ability?" "Is anything blocked that shouldn't be?" "Are all hatches and cupolas still available to escape/enter from?". Placement of these little parts is key, and when used correctly, they can really make a model look even more brilliant!

:)

Drone81 #15 Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:41 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 20301 battles
  • [1VTD] 1VTD

View PostGrumblingGrenade, on 16 December 2014 - 05:29 PM, said:

Ironically, yes, they have gotten much better. Comparing older kits, such as their old Elefant, (which was the only one on the market at that time), with newer kits does show a drastic increase in overall quality. For example, in their old Elefant, there was a lot of flash and unwanted sink-holes; some of the hull parts were warped and pieces did not fit together and had to be re-grafted with a knife of some description. However, comparing this older kit to a newer one such as their M4A1 Sherman, there is an obvious increase in quality. I found the Sherman a pleasure to build, and was satisfied by the pieces, the detail, and overall quality of the kit. Nevertheless, I would still choose a Tamiya kit above others; their Panther is an excellent model, and I'd highly recommend building it at some point.

@Drone81, have you heard of "Accurate Armour"? They produce small little "extras" that can be added to your kits that really improve the overall realism of the model, such as metal grates and vehicle stowage. They can be added to any model, and look really effective when painted correctly and used efficiently:

When adding little extras like this, always think like the crews would have when they put on extra stowage: "Will this inhibit vehicle ability?" "Is anything blocked that shouldn't be?" "Are all hatches and cupolas still available to escape/enter from?". Placement of these little parts is key, and when used correctly, they can really make a model look even more brilliant!

at this moment, i am glad i can finish a model in it's standard form it comes in the box :p

i know you can add extra stuff, and thats what il try to do when my M-41 Bulldog model comes in i hope a few days :D

just taking it 1 step at a time, already know how to build a model long time ago, wheatering and using airbrush was for the KV-2 model new for me, but it seems i did a 'good job', but stil much to learn, i still have ^_^

GrumblingGrenade #16 Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:05 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 5913 battles

View PostDrone81, on 16 December 2014 - 08:41 PM, said:

at this moment, i am glad i can finish a model in it's standard form it comes in the box :p

i know you can add extra stuff, and thats what il try to do when my M-41 Bulldog model comes in i hope a few days :D

just taking it 1 step at a time, already know how to build a model long time ago, wheatering and using airbrush was for the KV-2 model new for me, but it seems i did a 'good job', but stil much to learn, i still have ^_^

Good to start slow and build up to the top, I like it - not cramming everything in at once! I reckon that the M41 Walker Bulldog will look awesome with extras on it; it's a cool-looking tank anyway, and it'll be interesting to see the result when you add stuff to it to make it look just that bit more realistic! Your weathering and airbrush technique are both very good, especially the weathering, which even for adept modellers it can be difficult to achieve the finish that you have, great work!

Another little thing you can add to a model kit is milliput. Milliput is a sort of putty which can be moulded around certain pieces of a kit to really bring out a feature or make a gun mantlet or any other part of the tank look just that bit more realistic. "Military Vehicle Modelling", by Phil Greenwood, as mentioned before, has some really good tips when it comes to using milliput and extras, it's a brilliant book crammed with extra little tips!

Have you considered making a diorama yet? They're very hard to build and build well, though when you make one, regardless of how it looks, it does give you a sense of pride, and it can also make it a lot easier to make the tank look more realistic too. For example, milliput could be used to cover the lower running gear and tracks to make it look like they're covered with mud, (milliput dries pretty much solid and can be painted), and the mud can be trailed behind the actual model to create the track prints in the ground.

Good luck with the M41 Bulldog; you did an awesome job with the KV-2, and I reckon that the M41 will look even better!

CaptainBlaubar #17 Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:54 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7708 battles

View PostGrumblingGrenade, on 16 December 2014 - 04:29 PM, said:

Ok, interesting. But then again, Dragon and Voyager/ABER PE parts is the best :D.

Tamiya for post WW2 yes, I found they had many inaccurate parts in hostorical respects. I find Dragon the best here, but I guess I have to check out the Tamiya Panther^^.

View PostDrone81, on 16 December 2014 - 08:41 PM, said:

Check out the ladder for example. The water would run down along those two "ladder posts' joints" on the turret side, creating this standard downward washing like effect of rust. This is what you could add in the next model (and try to accomplish) to add more accuracy and realism. Not sure how to call this in English. 

Along with this you could add some scratches and uneven surfaces. This would be needed with this state of rusting after many years of resting in the swamp and possibly kids playing around on/with the tank^^.

Drone81 #18 Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:41 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 20301 battles
  • [1VTD] 1VTD

http://forum.worldof...ldog-model-kit/

:D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users