88 replies to this topic

GrumblingGrenade #1 Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:50 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 6008 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

POPULAR

Hello WoT community!

This is a thread dedicated to the education of those players who are willing to put up with the abuse of driving artillery and want to learn how to play them. If you've looked at my vehicles and/or my stats, then I know what you're thinking: "What the... ...This GrumblingGrenade shouldn't be giving advice about arties, what is this, some kind of joke?" Well, I have to agree with you, I rarely play in artillery, but over my time playing I've amassed a fair sum of tricks to playing, as well as gained quite a bit of knowledge when it comes to playing artillery.

My first bit of advice would be to prioritise targets. This is one thing that many artillery players do not do, which is a source of raging for many other players. For example, if you're playing in a tier 8 artillery in a tier 8 game, and you go for the tier 6s, then you're probably doing the wrong thing. Artillery should prioritise targets and destroy the more threatening tanks to their team, and should really be going for the higher tier tanks in the game. I understand that this can be hard, as having such a big gun you just really want to one-shot something, but you'll find that prioritising targets and going for the stronger and more team-threatening tanks first will be a huge service to your team.

My second bit of advice is "Location Location Location". Unless you're in something whizzy like an FV304 or a higher tier Lorraine, where you go at the start of a battle is generally where you'll stay, so picking your spot is crucial. There are very few artillery that can relocate and run away, and even these ones have to sacrifice something such as total hitpoint count or how big and "boomy" their gun is, and the really big and powerful artillery cannot relocate when under fire, unless the tank that's hunting them really doesn't know what they're doing. Very few artillery are good at "shotgunning" close enemy targets that are a threat, (ones that are include the S-51 and Crusader SP), so my advice is to pick a nice, covered spot where you most likely can't be easily sniped or spotted, and using foliage to conceal yourself can also really help. Tactical positioning can also help, hugging the edges of the map or lurking in the corner of the map is preferred, and pick a spot according to where you want to fire.

My third bit of advice is to aim for weakspots. This really comes under common sense, though in the heat of action can be a lot more difficult than it initially seems. For playing artillery, it is no different. If you aim for the sides of the vehicle, you will not do as much damage as you would by hitting the decking of the vehicle, especially when attacking heavy tanks. You can do this by, after going into artillery mode, (by pressing "SHIFT" when driving an SPG), aim a little further than the intended target; not too much, though just enough so that the shell will hit the top of the turret, a cupola, the decking or even the engine compartment; a lot more fires are cause by doing this!

My fourth bit of advice is to use your brain. If you're in an M41 HMC with a whopping big 155mm gun on it, (not the biggest, but big enough to one-shot tier 4s and 5s), don't go for enemies which are literally hugging your allies. If you've got an enemy right next to and ally, don't go for him unless the ally is destroyed or they separate a bit. If a whopping great big 155mm HE shell came down from the sky, likeliood is it will destroy the enemy and your team mate, or critically damage your team mate if it hits your enemy. Plus, artillery are not the most accurate of all tanks, so if you miss, you're in for a whole lot of raging... 

Finally, put up with abuse. Artillery are hard to play, as I've found out, and many players will often throw cheap insults and report you. Artillery are for support, and even though I've sometimes thought that they should be removed from the game and I've raged at artillery many a time, they are for support and form the backbone of many a team. So just have fun!

This thread is an educational thread for aspiring artillery players, so veteran artillery players may give advice and new players may learn. Despite many players hatred for artillery, I certainly think that this game just wouldn't be the same without them, (it may be better, you never know), so this thread is for sharing advice from veteran artillery players to new ones.

:honoring:

Edited by GrumblingGrenade, 02 November 2014 - 11:52 AM.

DingIsHere #2 Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:59 AM

Colonel

• Clan Commander
  • 15975 battles
  • [4Q2] 4Q2

View PostGrumblingGrenade, on 02 November 2014 - 10:50 AM, said:

Artillery are hard to play.

NO.

I certainly think that this game just wouldn't be the same without them, (it may be better, you never know),

YES.

panzeraustirol #3 Posted 02 November 2014 - 12:03 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8191 battles
Nice topic. Gonna give you +1, but prepare for tons of rages of arty haters...

GrumblingGrenade #4 Posted 02 November 2014 - 12:06 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 6008 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postpanzeraustirol, on 02 November 2014 - 11:03 AM, said:

Nice topic. Gonna give you +1, but prepare for tons of rages of arty haters...

Thanks! Don't worry, I am ready, (I hope!)

:tongue:

Sky_Pig_Finger_Of_God #5 Posted 02 November 2014 - 12:19 PM

Private

• Player
  • 817 battles

TL;DR - Click?                  For the lulz......

+1'd.

GrumblingGrenade #6 Posted 02 November 2014 - 12:30 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 6008 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

This topic is also for players other than me putting in their advice, so please, feel free to! I'm considering playing artillery myself, and I'd like to hear what other people say about gameplay and tactics!

:honoring:

olukej #7 Posted 02 November 2014 - 12:52 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 100 battles
click click click stronk skill

Only_Slightly_Bent #8 Posted 02 November 2014 - 01:23 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 25667 battles
  • [OAP] OAP

View Postolukej, on 02 November 2014 - 11:52 AM, said:

click click click stronk skill

It's funny because you have to click to play any of the other classes of tank as well. But then, you probably haven't realised that seeing as you're obviously completely unable to grasp the basic mechanics of this game.

DingIsHere #9 Posted 02 November 2014 - 03:32 PM

Colonel

• Clan Commander
  • 15975 battles
  • [4Q2] 4Q2

View PostOnly_Slightly_Bent, on 02 November 2014 - 12:23 PM, said:

It's funny because you have to click to play any of the other classes of tank as well. But then, you probably haven't realised that seeing as you're obviously completely unable to grasp the basic mechanics of this game.

You also have to move, think, dodge, think, scout, spot, think, angle, think, find weakspots, think, determine direction of enemy fire, think, counter, think, flank, think...

Meh......

olukej #10 Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:27 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 100 battles

View PostOnly_Slightly_Bent, on 02 November 2014 - 01:23 PM, said:

By the way you should play some more of that 58% loltraktor, your grap over the basic mechanics of this game seems to have rusted lately :hiding:

Edited by olukej, 02 November 2014 - 05:31 PM.

Schmeksiman #11 Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:51 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 16667 battles
  • [INC] INC

Before the nerf these advice might actually be valid, now there really isn't much point in playing arty apart from a very rare game just to remove the dust or if you accidentally click battle.

Sitting in a corner, not moving for the entire game and clicking once every 20-30-40 seconds without any influence of the shot is boring. Very rarely you can use your skill to win battles, mostly luck and hoping your shots goes in the middle of the reticle. The only thing that still takes some skill is doing blindfire on enemy arty, the rest is pointless...

WolfOfCampscapel #12 Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:14 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 36313 battles

View PostSchmeksiman, on 02 November 2014 - 05:51 PM, said:

Before the nerf these advice might actually be valid, now there really isn't much point in playing arty apart from a very rare game just to remove the dust or if you accidentally click battle.

Just because you are useless and depressed in arty nowadays doesn't mean everyone is.

Some more advice:

- try to shore up a weak flank. If the flank with 2 tanks are under pressure, target on their side and help them out. If you see them getting flanked, go for tracking shots on the flankers.

- target the biggest threat. This is often the pushing heavy, but taking out a rheinwaffel or isu is always worth it.

- try to track heavies you see running exposed for cover, this really helps the rest of the team take them out.

GoHard_ANIALLATOR #13 Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• WGL PRO Player
  • 39860 battles
  • [FAME] FAME
How on earth is artillery hard to play? You have no fear of anybody shooting you as you sit too far back to even be seen, so angling is not required, you also only need to remember a few general areas on each map so map knowledge is not required either. Neither is dynamic map movement as you will rarely even have to move further than 200 meters each game. You cannot say to aim for weakspots as you are firing HE shells which will do damage almost anywhere. You will NOT do more damage to side armor due to tracks and other spaced armor so the OP is incorrect there. Your chance to hit is determined almost only by RNG as your accuracy is too poor for skills to apply to the aiming like it would for an accurate medium tank like the Leo1.

they are for support and form the backbone of many a team. So just have fun!

Yes, have fun ruining other peoples game by hitting them for more than half of their HP or for full HP just because "I CHOOSE YOU" and you happen to get lucky by hitting them. (Talking about mediums and LTs here as 80% of the time they are the one spotted most because they are not sitting in the bush 400 meters back)

Most of the time the "dangerous" tanks like TDs and heavies cannot be hit by arty. They are in cover behind buildings or unspotted in their bush at the back. BUT the medium or LT player who is playing aggressively and attacking and making opportunities for some fun, fast and dynamic game play get clicked because he is the only one spotted.

Finally, put up with abuse. Artillery are hard to play, as I've found out

People are not raging about nothing here. I have gotten alot more abuse than most just because of my stats, but the arty abuse is due to the fact that a player with no skills in this game can just get lucky and kill anything he wants. This is not present in any other class.

If you are about the negrep this then please post saying where I was wrong, rather than just negrepping because you do not agree.

Schmeksiman #14 Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:43 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 16667 battles
  • [INC] INC

View PostWolfOfCampscapel, on 02 November 2014 - 06:14 PM, said:

Just because you are useless and depressed in arty nowadays doesn't mean everyone is.

Oh I'm not useless, far from it. I just don't see much point in playing arty, the difference between me doing 3000 damage and 0 damage in my S-51 is pure luck.

In any normal tank it's about my positioning, my shooting, my reactions and my vision, basically my skill in that particular game.

Back in the day when I was hitting a swerving AMX 13 75 to win the game, that was skill and fine sense of prediction. Now I wouldn't even waste my time aiming for him.

The only time I've played arty in the last month was when I needed the other had for my sandwich.

Darth_Clicker #15 Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:54 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 58422 battles
  • [4RCE] 4RCE

View Postolukej, on 02 November 2014 - 05:27 PM, said:

By the way you should play some more of that 58% loltraktor, your grap over the basic mechanics of this game seems to have rusted lately :hiding:

What does it mean to have a grap over something?  Is it in any way similar to having a grasp over something such has having a grasp over the use of spell check?

WolfOfCampscapel #16 Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:08 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 36313 battles

View PostANIALLATOR114, on 02 November 2014 - 06:25 PM, said:

People are not raging about nothing here. I have gotten alot more abuse than most just because of my stats, but the arty abuse is due to the fact that a player with no skills in this game can just get lucky and kill anything he wants. This is not present in any other class.

No? One word: ammorack.

People are arty-raging because they can't handle losing, or because they are [edited].

Edited by Petruzzi, 03 November 2014 - 06:45 PM.

Schmeksiman #17 Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:25 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 16667 battles
  • [INC] INC

View PostWolfOfCampscapel, on 02 November 2014 - 07:08 PM, said:

No? One word: ammorack.

People are arty-raging because they can't handle losing, or because they are assholes.

Yeah, it takes a lot more than sitting in a bush for 10 minutes to score an ammorack, even the best players can't rely on it. I don't remember seeing one while playing today.

And I can handle losing, if I get outplayed by the enemy I'll be the first one to open the chat and congratulate the guy because he deserves that.

But when someone sitting in the corner of a map does 800 damage to me while I'm pulling the strings of a game, carrying my team and going against the odds, that's annoying to say at least.

He didn't have to think about valid positions, he did not have to consider weakspots, crossfire, bushes, camo, staying invisible, line of fire and spotting for your team, assisting your teammates or holding off multiple enemy tanks. All he did was centre a mouse over me and click, and that was the only thing he did in the entire game and won it.

Now compare my effort to his and tell me what's fair and who's being an AH?

olukej #18 Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:38 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 100 battles

View PostBkc1965, on 02 November 2014 - 06:54 PM, said:

What does it mean to have a grap over something?  Is it in any way similar to having a grasp over something such has having a grasp over the use of spell check?

I'm sure you'll excuse my spell checker for not picking up the occasional typo I make in a language it's not set for. 

Edited by olukej, 02 November 2014 - 09:39 PM.

WolfOfCampscapel #19 Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:23 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 36313 battles

View PostSchmeksiman, on 02 November 2014 - 07:25 PM, said:

He didn't have to think about valid positions, he did not have to consider weakspots, crossfire, bushes, camo, staying invisible, line of fire and spotting for your team, assisting your teammates or holding off multiple enemy tanks. All he did was centre a mouse over me and click, and that was the only thing he did in the entire game and won it.

Now compare my effort to his and tell me what's fair and who's being an AH?

You did what your tank is good at, he did what his is good at, you died. I fail to see the problem and fairness issue. He obviously wasn't a complete idiot, since he prioritized the tank doing well but forgetting about arty - you. He obviously wasn't in a completely bad position, since he could hit you. This is your lesson fellow arty players - keep shooting the red ones doing well, it helps. Especially if they are holding back multiple tanks of your team on their own.

Chatrage is just a bonus :p

And btw, it's still completely possible to hit a speeding batchat with arty. That's still a fine prediction skill and luck combo.

Edited by WolfOfCampscapel, 03 November 2014 - 01:27 AM.

Darth_Clicker #20 Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:22 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 58422 battles
  • [4RCE] 4RCE

View PostANIALLATOR114, on 02 November 2014 - 06:25 PM, said:

How on earth is artillery hard to play? You have no fear of anybody shooting you as you sit too far back to even be seen, so angling is not required, you also only need to remember a few general areas on each map so map knowledge is not required either. Neither is dynamic map movement as you will rarely even have to move further than 200 meters each game. You cannot say to aim for weakspots as you are firing HE shells which will do damage almost anywhere. You will NOT do more damage to side armor due to tracks and other spaced armor so the OP is incorrect there. Your chance to hit is determined almost only by RNG as your accuracy is too poor for skills to apply to the aiming like it would for an accurate medium tank like the Leo1.

Yes, have fun ruining other peoples game by hitting them for more than half of their HP or for full HP just because "I CHOOSE YOU" and you happen to get lucky by hitting them. (Talking about mediums and LTs here as 80% of the time they are the one spotted most because they are not sitting in the bush 400 meters back)

Most of the time the "dangerous" tanks like TDs and heavies cannot be hit by arty. They are in cover behind buildings or unspotted in their bush at the back. BUT the medium or LT player who is playing aggressively and attacking and making opportunities for some fun, fast and dynamic game play get clicked because he is the only one spotted.

If you are about the negrep this then please post saying where I was wrong, rather than just negrepping because you do not agree.

You are comparing playing an arty to playing a tank.  They are different.  Try playing your tank like you would a GW E100.  You have played a lot in arty, so you know all of this as well.  You also know that map knowledge is required.  Just not the same knowledge as is required to play tank.  You also have to learn each arties shell travel characteristics.  They are not all the same, aiming at and hitting a moving, or even still, target in my Obj. 261 is not the same as aiming at and hitting a target in my Grille, or in my GW E100, or SU-8.....etc. You have played arty....you know this.  You know that it is not the same as playing tanks but you are comparing them to tanks.  Again, they are different.  Do you play all tanks the same?  Or, do you use a different play style depending on which tank you are in?  Also, since you played a fair % of your arty battles in an FV304, you know that you will normally move more than 200 meters each game.  Some tanks move less than some arties...but you know this as you have played both the FV304 as well as long range shooting tds.

I do not judge my own performance or playing style against tank drivers performance or playing styles.  I judge myself against the other arties.  I do this in each battle where my goal is to help my team more than the other arties.  I also use the Marks of excellence as well as mastery badges to jucge my performance.

In all of my battles, I can safely say that I have seen more tanks destroyed by one shot from another tank than I have seen destroyed by one shot from artillery.

Now, you stated that td's and heavies are not spotted because they are sitting in the bush/hiding behind a building 400 yards back.  If they are not spotted and they are doing damage to the enemy tanks, how is that different from what you do not like about arty?  And, if they are not doing damage to enemy tanks while they are hiding in the bush, aren't you happy that the arty sitting at the back of the map is damaging the enemy tanks?  Sounds like you should be raging against the heavies and tds that are not out in the open taking some of the arty shots that the aggressive, brave mediums and lights are taking.

There are people with low skills/no skills in this game that get lucky and destroy another tank every day.  Some skilled tank drivers, including you, have gotten lucky and got the frag at times.  You have also gotten lucky, due to no skill on your part, and avoided getting destroyed.  I see it every day when a tank sits in the same spot for 30+ seconds while I reload and fire only to move 15 meters two seconds before my 2,000 credit cost shell arrives and destroys a big patch of nothing exactly where I was aiming.  If RNG made the tank move randomly like that, then I stand corrected as I thought the other players were in control of the tanks.

In the battles that arty was a big factor in your team's win, would you happily remove arty and give up the win to the other team?

Also tagged with Arty, SPG, Artillery, Tanks, Arties, SPGs, Self-Propelled Guns, Campers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users