• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

Darth_Clicker #41 Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:36 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 58421 battles
  • [4RCE] 4RCE

View PostANIALLATOR114, on 03 November 2014 - 09:17 PM, said:

The CGC is the Conqueror Gun Carriage Tier 10 british arty. If you play any lightly armored tanks such as a batchat a STB-1 or any tank that has weak rear armor/engine deck and hits will likely cause full damage. You asked for a replay of an arty hitting a maus for 2400 damage. I showed you one. the maus armor scheme for the side has not changed since then, nor has the T92 AP shell so the video is still 100% relevent as if it hit a maus today in the side it would have a good chance to pen an due to the large caliber, a good chance for an ammo rack.

I call it completely fair that I can sit in the corner of a map and shoot you with my arty and you can not fight back.  Fair is fair.
How is that fair in anyway? Before telling someone to get a grip, it helps to be correct.

Edit: http://gyazo.com/b81...334845775b8ee2a A recent example of stronk arty seeing as you did ask....

Yes, you showed me a video of a Maus getting hit for 2400 damage by an arty in a game that does not exist anymore.  Your video is irrelevant to a discussion about this game.  You  say it is relevant, but I can not see in the video if the Maus was truly at 100%,  I can not tell how may hit points the damage was for.  But, just for giggles, let's say that it was a 100% health Maus that got destroyed by one shot from a T-92 that delivered 2400 hit points as you have stated.  News flash!!!!  The Maus has 3,000 hit points in the modern game.  The video is irrelevant.

How is it fair for me to be able to sit in a corner and destroy your tank while you can not fight back?  First of all, it is fair because it is part of the game and I am not cheating in any way.  No illegal mods etc.  Secondly, it is fair because this ability is to balance the fact that tanks are over armored, have too many hit points, are too fast, can rotate too fast, and are generally a lot smaller and have a much too high camo rating, and much too fast reload time, much too fast aim time etc.......when compared to arty.   I suggest that you make a list for us and educate us on the things that ANY arty can do better in the game when compared to ANY tank on the same tier.  You can even use +/- 1 tier even.  I have already given you a partial overview of what tanks can do better. 

It is also fair that you have the opportunity to play a game that does not involve arty.

Oh, I forgot:  your (attempt to post a) link does not tell us anything except that a T-92 destroyed an E100 with a 2700 point hit using AP.  Where was the T-92?  Since the map was Himmelsdorf and the E100 was close to the enemy base I believe that the shot was from close range.  How common are such shots in the game?  How common is it for any arty to hit an E100 for 2700 hp?  Is it as common as it is for an E100 to destroy an arty with one shot?  Probably not.

Edited by Bkc1965, 04 November 2014 - 06:50 AM.

GoHard_ANIALLATOR #42 Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:41 AM

Warrant Officer

• WGL PRO Player
  • 39860 battles
  • [FAME] FAME

View PostBkc1965, on 04 November 2014 - 05:36 AM, said:

Yes, you showed me a video of a Maus getting hit for 2400 damage by an arty in a game that does not exist anymore.  Your video is irrelevant to a discussion about this game.  You  say it is relevant, but I can not see in the video if the Maus was truly at 100%,  I can not tell how may hit points the damage was for.  But, just for giggles, let's say that it was a 100% health Maus that got destroyed by one shot from a T-92 that delivered 2400 hit points as you have stated.  News flash!!!!  The Maus has 3,000 hit points in the modern game.  The video is irrelevant.

How is it fair for me to be able to sit in a corner and destroy your tank while you can not fight back?  First of all, it is fair because it is part of the game and I am not cheating in any way.  No illegal mods etc.  Secondly, it is fair because this ability is to balance the fact that tanks are over armored, have too many hit points, are too fast, can rotate too fast, and are generally a lot smaller and have a much too high camo rating, and much too fast reload time, much too fast aim time etc.......when compared to arty.   I suggest that you make a list for us and educate us on the things that ANY arty can do better in the game when compared to ANY tank on the same tier.  You can even use +/- 1 tier even.  I have already given you a partial overview of what tanks can do better. 

It is also fair that you have the opportunity to play a game that does not involve arty.

Oh, I forgot:  your (attempt to post a) link does not tell us anything except that a T-92 destroyed an E100 with a 2700 point hit using AP.  Where was the T-92?  Since the map was Himmelsdorf and the E100 was close to the enemy base I believe that the shot was from close range.  How common are such shots in the game?  How common is it for any arty to hit an E100 for 2700 hp?  Is it as common as it is for an E100 to destroy an arty with one shot?  Probably not.

The video is relevant as they arty DOES exist in the game still, it just got moved by two tiers like many others, and it ammo racked the maus for 2800 HP which is what the maus used to have. If the maus has 100000 HP he would still have been 1 shot as it was an ammo rack. The E-100 was not close to the enemy base, he was in the banana in the middle of the map standing next to a building. If you look closely you will notice that the users mods tell us the t92 is still unspotted and is quite likely in J1 or something.

I didn't say arty was "cheating" I am saying it is unfair because it can kill people for half or more of their HP across the map and over cover. This is a game breaking mechanic and in its current form is wholly unrealistic and  unbalanced. My LT having the advantage of being able to outmaneuver an arty in close combat is a bit different to killing that arty over the map for full HP without getting spotted. Its the fact that there is no risk involved (apart from counter arty which is too sparse now to worry about) yet there is still huge gains IF you just get lucky.

The game does not need arty. Maybe it used to with very heavily armored tanks back in +/-3MM but now most tanks can pen each other using "special" ammo and statistics showed that 40% of shots fired are prem rounds anyway. A game should be removing outdated features or making them relevant again. Arty was once needed for large heavily armored tanks that could not be killed any other way, that is not an issue anymore. Now it is just causing camping.

GrumblingGrenade #43 Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:59 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 6008 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Artillery are still needed in the game. They are a support tank, and despite premium ammo having increased penetration values, they still often bounce shells. Even though artillery have next-to-no pen, (unless the size of the shell is 160mm and bigger), then splash will not damage the target all that much. Artillery are used for support against higher tier tanks, and can sway the outcome of a battle either way, can halt an advance on a choke point, or can help their team break through. Bear in mind that ammo-racking targets is rare. Also bear in mind that usually, the hit point pool of many heavy tanks do not allow one-shotting. Artillery will often have a greater critical hit efficiency than efficiency in damage dealt per game. Artillery, I think, need to stay in the game as they can help halt and advance choke point attacks and general pushes and assaults; many players don't want to get a scratch on their tank and will cower away behind a rock - this can happen on both teams, artillery prevent this and either induce an enemy retreat or a fight to begin, and can also motivate teams to begin a push.

GoHard_ANIALLATOR #44 Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:07 PM

Warrant Officer

• WGL PRO Player
  • 39860 battles
  • [FAME] FAME

View PostGrumblingGrenade, on 04 November 2014 - 01:59 PM, said:

Artillery are still needed in the game. They are a support tank, and despite premium ammo having increased penetration values, they still often bounce shells. Even though artillery have next-to-no pen, (unless the size of the shell is 160mm and bigger), then splash will not damage the target all that much. Artillery are used for support against higher tier tanks, and can sway the outcome of a battle either way, can halt an advance on a choke point, or can help their team break through. Bear in mind that ammo-racking targets is rare. Also bear in mind that usually, the hit point pool of many heavy tanks do not allow one-shotting. Artillery will often have a greater critical hit efficiency than efficiency in damage dealt per game. Artillery, I think, need to stay in the game as they can help halt and advance choke point attacks and general pushes and assaults; many players don't want to get a scratch on their tank and will cower away behind a rock - this can happen on both teams, artillery prevent this and either induce an enemy retreat or a fight to begin, and can also motivate teams to begin a push.

How does arty stop people hiding behind rocks? This is the only place arty cannot hit them. Arty will only be able to attack the people who have pushed up as this brings them into spaces where the arty can shoot them, they are now on the opposing teams side which does not have cover from arty (from the opposing teams base - likely where the arty will be)

GrumblingGrenade #45 Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:43 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 6008 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostANIALLATOR114, on 04 November 2014 - 04:07 PM, said:

How does arty stop people hiding behind rocks? This is the only place arty cannot hit them. Arty will only be able to attack the people who have pushed up as this brings them into spaces where the arty can shoot them, they are now on the opposing teams side which does not have cover from arty (from the opposing teams base - likely where the arty will be)

Not necessarily. This is linking to the tactical positioning of artillery and how crucial it is. With good enough positioning that allows the gun arc to achieve a degree of elevation that allows them to shoot over certain obstacles, then they will hit. Also, if the enemy line is composed of tanks sat still next to eachother, and there are a decent amount, the team's arty can damage and potentially take out those that are farthest from the rock, which will weaken their defence/assault, encourage movement from your team and cause a retreat of the other team, which again, might mean exposing themselves to the arty's line of fire. 

Your comment is very true though. What I'm saying is that if there's only one tank behind the rock, and the enemy defence is all hiding behind eachother, (visualise a queue or something along those lines), the allies can push and take them out one by one. Also, if the team know that they have artillery support, it is more likely they will press an attack, and if they force the enemies out of their spot and into a retreat, the arty will most likely have a greater chance of doing something useful, (all the more reason to either platoon up or use the game chat to more appropriate use). Though, this is only theory, and nothing is certain...

Darth_Clicker #46 Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:49 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 58421 battles
  • [4RCE] 4RCE

View PostANIALLATOR114, on 04 November 2014 - 08:41 AM, said:

The video is relevant as they arty DOES exist in the game still, it just got moved by two tiers like many others, and it ammo racked the maus for 2800 HP which is what the maus used to have. If the maus has 100000 HP he would still have been 1 shot as it was an ammo rack. The E-100 was not close to the enemy base, he was in the banana in the middle of the map standing next to a building. If you look closely you will notice that the users mods tell us the t92 is still unspotted and is quite likely in J1 or something.

I didn't say arty was "cheating" I am saying it is unfair because it can kill people for half or more of their HP across the map and over cover. This is a game breaking mechanic and in its current form is wholly unrealistic and  unbalanced. My LT having the advantage of being able to outmaneuver an arty in close combat is a bit different to killing that arty over the map for full HP without getting spotted. Its the fact that there is no risk involved (apart from counter arty which is too sparse now to worry about) yet there is still huge gains IF you just get lucky.

The game does not need arty. Maybe it used to with very heavily armored tanks back in +/-3MM but now most tanks can pen each other using "special" ammo and statistics showed that 40% of shots fired are prem rounds anyway. A game should be removing outdated features or making them relevant again. Arty was once needed for large heavily armored tanks that could not be killed any other way, that is not an issue anymore. Now it is just causing camping.

Arty does not cause camping.  Yesterday, I took out the only enemy arty in a tier 7 battle after he fired his first shot.  I was pre-aimed where I believed he would be and he was their first loss.  But, both teams camped until there was a draw with 4 or 5 tanks on each team including my arty.  It was very frustrating, but my team did not camp because of arty.  So, camping is caused by other things too.  You can not blame camping solely on arty.  If arty is removed or even changed, camping will still exist.

How many tanks in a tier X battle can possibly destroy a Maus by hitting the ammo rack?  Or, do you believe that only an arty can do that?  Your video is irrelevant.  Different game, different tank specs, and a situation that could have happened without arty.  There is a three second delay before the 6th sense warning goes off, the T-92 could have been a TD instead and hit the ammo rack and the result would have been the same.  The Maus got destroyed without having a chance to defend himself.  The result is the same, the situation is the same....except for it was arty and not a td.  I anticipate that you will say it would have been ok if it were a td and not an arty.  If so, this proves that it has nothing to do with broken mechanics or even the mechanics at our local garage.  It will be simply your vendetta/hatred against arty.  No logic involved at all.

You said, "Arty was once needed for large heavily armored tanks that could not be killed any other way, that is not an issue anymore."  Using this logic, the job that arty does at the moment can be done by other tanks.  In order for this to be true, other tanks are able to destroy a tank just as well as an arty.  This makes them equal.  If some tanks are the equal to arty, why are you not addressing that topic?  Why are you only focused on arty?  Back to the personal vendetta/hatred and lack of logic in your arguments.

You do not like arty.  I like arty.  Time to go play now.

GrumblingGrenade #47 Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:20 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 6008 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Just a brief off-topic post; this is NOT an arty whine topic. This is an educational thread for players looking to either improve their efficiency in artillery or for completely new players to arties, and is not a topic for players to argue and moan about artillery. Some players like them, some don't, though let's try to keep the discussion at a low heat, and not raise tension.

In addition, if you are going to "negrep" someone, please give a reason as to why you have, instead of using it as a cheap retaliation to a comment that you do not agree with. Constructive criticism is welcome, "negrepping" for the sake of it is not, so if you are, please give a reason. I can guess that some of you are going to "negrep" this post, though it's just to make sure that everyone's relatively happy, without raising tension or causing heated discussion.

Constructive criticism is good, though if you are going to "negrep" someone, please say why, and do it in a polite and civil manner, and I'll emphasise not to use it as a cheap retaliation to an idea or post that you do not agree with.

Thanks!

:smile:

Edited by GrumblingGrenade, 04 November 2014 - 11:23 PM.

conductiv #48 Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:16 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Beta Tester
  • 34565 battles
  • [FIFO] FIFO

I'm not a super artillery player, but a few things I have noticed.

there are many ways to prioritize targets, I generally prioritize for annihilation, basically I aim for stuff that I can potentially 1 shot...with the biggest gun that I can find (aka generally TD's, autoloaders and badly wounded heavies..my damage is generally meh, but I have plenty of kills and manage to win the majority of the games I play). some of my clanmates prioritize a position rather then a target (allowing that side to dominate..and reducing aim time..works great unless 1. the flank is empty or 2. the team just refuses to push the side you support), and others aim for the target with the highest chance to land a hit (basically they generally hit when they fire, so he generally gets a crapload of damage fairly early)...all these methods work...as long as you stick with it.

as soon as you have cross map range...that is tier 3-5 for most SPG lines, it is very tempting to stay in the safety of the base..and as the OP mentioned, you usually stay where you initially set up because most SPG's are slow or have to delay their fire a lot to move. I have tried moving SPG's around...and this can be very effective..but the risk it brings often causes me to doubt its use over the "lazy" base setup position...I like being the SPG in a crazy spot that can hit where arty generally can't...but the risks taken do occasion mean that I get killed early. 

SPG's can benefit a lot from coordinating their fire with other SPG's, again there are multiple ways to do this...

-you can set up close together, and simply focus fire targets...unlike tanks you don't have to deal with who rolls out first and the possibility of hitting your ally. but the priority of marking the target is greater as you both cover vast amounts of ground and each target is only exposed for a limited amount of time. works better in conjunction with the area coverage priority as it limites the amount of ground you cover.

-you can spread out and "crossfire" the map, this reduces the effectiveness of enemy cover and can be more useful when trying to eliminate rock huggers. its also safer..as when a single tanks gets to the rear lines, not all SPG's are eliminated in 1 go. but...on most maps this does mean that 1 of the SPG's will have to leave the security of the spawn... it is very rare you see this in random games, it only "naturally" occurs on wide open, already very arty friendly maps like prokarovka and malikovka.

it is in my opinion the most useful, as its usually the rock huggers in "arty safe" locations that will become problematic for your tanker allies.

Darth_Clicker #49 Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:32 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 58421 battles
  • [4RCE] 4RCE
Lots of good tips so far in this thread on how to effectively play arty.  I will throw another tip in the mix.  Lock your hull.  This helps more if your gun has a narrow arc, like a Grille or Obj 261.  Without the hull locked, the hull will rotate when the aiming point gets close to the edge of the gun arc, therefore blooming the aim circle (sometimes dramatically) and causing you to have to wait on re-aiming.  Often, a tank will be moving back and forth, trying to avoid me....lol, and will move just out of the arc of my gun.  Without my hull locked, I would be re-aiming when he moves back to his original position.  Or, if he has simply moved to the edge of my gun arc, with my hull locked I do not lose aim.  But if the hull were not locked, the hull will move a little before the edge of the arc is reached.  Sometimes this little extra thing makes the difference between a hit and no hit.  I have reassigned the lock hull command to my space key to make it easier to locate.  But sometimes I only touch either the a,s,d, or w keys to unlock the hull when needed.  Some people are of the opinion that locking the hull improves overall accuracy but I have not been able to prove or disprove this theory.  The only problem with locking the hull is you have to remember to unlock it when you see Speedy Gonzales racing towards you in his super speedy formula one light tank.  Not that it will make much of a difference of course....lol.

GrumblingGrenade #50 Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:25 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 6008 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostBkc1965, on 05 November 2014 - 05:32 AM, said:

Lots of good tips so far in this thread on how to effectively play arty.  I will throw another tip in the mix.  Lock your hull.  This helps more if your gun has a narrow arc, like a Grille or Obj 261.  Without the hull locked, the hull will rotate when the aiming point gets close to the edge of the gun arc, therefore blooming the aim circle (sometimes dramatically) and causing you to have to wait on re-aiming.  Often, a tank will be moving back and forth, trying to avoid me....lol, and will move just out of the arc of my gun.  Without my hull locked, I would be re-aiming when he moves back to his original position.  Or, if he has simply moved to the edge of my gun arc, with my hull locked I do not lose aim.  But if the hull were not locked, the hull will move a little before the edge of the arc is reached.  Sometimes this little extra thing makes the difference between a hit and no hit.  I have reassigned the lock hull command to my space key to make it easier to locate.  But sometimes I only touch either the a,s,d, or w keys to unlock the hull when needed.  Some people are of the opinion that locking the hull improves overall accuracy but I have not been able to prove or disprove this theory.  The only problem with locking the hull is you have to remember to unlock it when you see Speedy Gonzales racing towards you in his super speedy formula one light tank.  Not that it will make much of a difference of course....lol.

Great tip! I actually never though of that, and many players haven't either from my experiences, and it has real relevance to an annoying issue when playing artillery; that when you exceed your gun arc even slightly, you're automatically zoomed out by quite a bit. That is perhaps one of the best tips on this thread so far, and links to many other ideas, such as tactical positioning and finding the best angle to cover as much of the map with your gun arc as possible. Great tip! I'll +1 it as soon as my quota resets!

:blinky:

Edited by GrumblingGrenade, 05 November 2014 - 05:26 PM.

WolfOfCampscapel #51 Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:56 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 36313 battles
A tip mostly for artillery platoons on voice comm... for those village maps with lots of breakable cover. Find an enemy tank camping behind a breakable house. Wait until both of you are reloaded. Then do a coordinated one-two without waiting for the first shot to land. First shot removes the house, second shot hopefully removes the tank since he won't have had time to start moving. Very effective in tier 6-8 arty.

GrumblingGrenade #52 Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:43 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 6008 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostWolfOfCampscapel, on 05 November 2014 - 07:56 PM, said:

A tip mostly for artillery platoons on voice comm... for those village maps with lots of breakable cover. Find an enemy tank camping behind a breakable house. Wait until both of you are reloaded. Then do a coordinated one-two without waiting for the first shot to land. First shot removes the house, second shot hopefully removes the tank since he won't have had time to start moving. Very effective in tier 6-8 arty.

Good point, I imagine that this tactic is very good and beneficial when on maps such as Prokhorovka. This will also help the team, I guess, as you'll be destroying buildings that they're using as cover, in the event that both shells miss. I imagine it'd be even better in a platoon of 3, especially if the arties are the same and so have similar, if not exactly the same loading times! This could also be put into good use against higher-tier heavies; one shot could track and do damage, then the other shot could keep the target tracked as well as dealing damage. If this tactic against heavies is applied, I'd suggest that there is a 5 second gap between the firing of shells if the arty can offload shells quickly, (arties such as the FV304), and if they both have large, "big-boom" guns, then two or three shots and the big bad heavy is reduced to probably about 10% hitpoints, or even destroyed.

Great tip! This helps artillery platoons, not just singular arty players, and I think that this is the first post on this thread that gives tips on how to play as part of a platoon in an arty!

WolfOfCampscapel #53 Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:26 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 36313 battles

View PostGrumblingGrenade, on 05 November 2014 - 10:43 PM, said:

This could also be put into good use against higher-tier heavies; one shot could track and do damage, then the other shot could keep the target tracked as well as dealing damage. If this tactic against heavies is applied, I'd suggest that there is a 5 second gap between the firing of shells if the arty can offload shells quickly, (arties such as the FV304), and if they both have large, "big-boom" guns, then two or three shots and the big bad heavy is reduced to probably about 10% hitpoints, or even destroyed.

In one game, I saw a FV304 platooned with two tier X ConqGC. Good players, finished off about half the enemy team. When I checked after the game, the three arties did about the same amount of damage each :D

Guessing the FV304 was their dedicated keep-em-tracked-for-us nuisance arty.

mrsMiggins #54 Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:40 PM

Private

• Player
  • 6695 battles

Some tips to add. 

- The OP was talking about finding a bush to hide behind. In my experience this is inferior to hiding in ditches, or behind small hills for that matter, for two reasons:

1) when standing behind a bush you still run the risk of being spotted after firing, or that damn scout flanking you early. both risks are severely reduced (not negated!!!!) when standing in ditches. You can even "hug the hill" after firing, making it very hard to be hit by artillery.

2) standing near bushes gives that counter-artillery-ing enemy an edge. Bushes create awesome reference points for tracking tracers. Standing in a ditch on bush-free ground, makes it way harder to track the origin of your tracer (also works on non-ditch grounds obviously)

- Speaking of counter-artillery, it is also waaaaay better to be standing on light coloured ground instead of dark coloured ground. Again, making it more difficult for the enemy to track your tracer.

- Avoid the waste of time by looking for that perfect shot! The longer your reload time, the more important this is. One shot less from  G.W. E100 can potentially mean 2000dmg lost in a game. Let alone the damage others can do by only tracking a target for them. I am not saying you must shoot at every peeking tank as soon as you can, whenever you can. But understand that RNG makes it virtually impossible for you to effectively hunt for that perfect shot: random is and always will be random. It makes you waste precious reload time. 

Also it gets significantly easier to make "snapshots" when having an outstanding crew, and having lots of experience yourself.

- DO NOT USE THE "Z"-KEY AND ANY MOUSEMOVEMENTS!!! to communicate. The gun sight might still be fully zoomed in, but the server reticle gets reset to its highest inaccuracy. It basically means that you have to wait for it to be fully aimed again. Instead use F1-F8.

- Pre-aim at the start of the battle. If you can quickly get to your preferred position, pre-aim at the location where you will think you have either the best shot or the enemy is sure to be show up in. It allows you to get in a nice first shot, because a lot of tanks are still on the move and not hiding behind cover yet. I have wrecked a nice amount of lights and meds this way.

hope it helps you.

<3 to my fellow arties!

Edited by mrsMiggins, 06 November 2014 - 01:51 PM.

GrumblingGrenade #55 Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:12 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 6008 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostmrsMiggins, on 06 November 2014 - 12:40 PM, said:

- The OP was talking about finding a bush to hide behind. In my experience this is inferior to hiding in ditches, or behind small hills for that matter, for two reasons:

1) when standing behind a bush you still run the risk of being spotted after firing, or that damn scout flanking you early. both risks are severely reduced (not negated!!!!) when standing in ditches. You can even "hug the hill" after firing, making it very hard to be hit by artillery.

2) standing near bushes gives that counter-artillery-ing enemy an edge. Bushes create awesome reference points for tracking tracers. Standing in a ditch on bush-free ground, makes it way harder to track the origin of your tracer (also works on non-ditch grounds obviously

Great tip, (sorry, won't let me write outside the quote box). One more to add to that list of benefits:

3) It will improve your maximum shell height. Parking yourself on a nice ridge that sticks up your front can really add loads to your gun elevation, which means that you can fire over more obstacles at the cost of your range. This is great for playing artillery such as the Crusader S.P. which has a relatively flat firing angle, in comparison to artillery such as the Bishop. Angling your actual hull can be beneficial for mid-range attacking, as well as defending yourself from Speedy Gonzales AMX 12 T rushing across the map at breakneck pace towards you, as you can take cover behind the ridge and have a go at "shotgunning" him when he comes over.

Great tip, especially with reference to tracers! Many of the posts in this thread, (most of which mine), are about attacking, though no-one but you has really focused on keeping yourself hidden as best as possible! Good to see some reference to covering yourself while causing great damage to the helpless enemy team! + 1 from me!

Edited by GrumblingGrenade, 06 November 2014 - 05:19 PM.

GrumblingGrenade #56 Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:47 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 6008 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Another tip I have to give, (that causes major "lols" for the arty and major rages for the victim), is the fine art of Shotgunning.

Shotgunning is taking out targets at point-blank range, at about 50 meters to 1 meter away from you. Whenever I go artillery hunting in other tanks, (my favourite is the Cromwell), I am always cautious, especially around artillery such as the S-51, with a scary gun and, if played right, great shotunning capabilities. Knowing how to shotgun and how to do it to maximum effect is crucial for any artillery player, as it can be the difference between whether you hunt or are hunted.

There is no point in even trying to shotgun when you're out in the open, so you may as well have your Commander have a white flag hang from the gun. This is where mrsMiggins' comment comes into one of it's best effects. Lurk in a ridge or be the troll under the bridge, (pun intended ^ ^, rhyme not), and wait for those hunters to present to you the belly of their tank or the side. If under a ridge, be patient and wait 'till that unwary tank pops over the ridge, then put a shell into either his belly or lower glacis, and watch as he goes up in flame. Also, if you're next to a building so that the only way the aspiring hunter can claim you as a kill is by exposing himself, zoom in and be ready for whatever he tries; he could be a Pz.1.C, though even the fastest of tanks need time to accelerate to full speed. Take full advantages of the game mechanics, as they play in the arty's favour in situations such as these.

The key principles of shotgunning are patience, situational awareness and positioning. If you are somewhat savvy about these, you will find that you will at least go down with a fight, instead of being taken down too easily. Even if you miss, you could splash them with explosion and hopefully track them, in the hope that you can pull back a little further and load another shell. Shotgunning is the ultimate troll for artillery, and just goes to show that no-one is safe, unless their parked right next to you, so keep your wits about! It may sound easy, but it's a lot harder than initially thought, and takes a lot of practice to get to a good level.

Shotgunning can also be done on the move, if you're in a fast little arty, (like the FV304, which I keep using as an example because it's so awesome). If you're small enough so that, when at top speed, (which also has to be considerably quick), that other tanks miss you, come up really close to your targets after they've missed you and shoot, then veer off to the side of them and keep going! This is even harder than standard shotgunning, and a significant amount of luck is required, though it is fun, especially if you're the last on the team against a lot more enemy tanks. If you want a joke, then Yolo-ram your targets just after shooting, and get an eye-for-an-eye medal if they're a light tank and do extra damage!

I would highly recommend practising this genuinely awesome tactic in team training and random battles, and it can mean that you efficiently defend yourself from threats without taking a point of damage and contribute to your team by either destroying or damaging your attacker. With practice, you will finally be able to say...

..."The hunter has become the hunted"...

cellaman7 #57 Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:39 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34665 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Bishop and FV304 excell in the TD mode. Took out many a scout, medium or heavy on lowish health. The amount of wtf moments and Haxx i have heard is just too funny.

GrumblingGrenade #58 Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:17 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 6008 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postcellaman7, on 06 November 2014 - 09:39 PM, said:

Bishop and FV304 excell in the TD mode. Took out many a scout, medium or heavy on lowish health. The amount of wtf moments and Haxx i have heard is just too funny.

Rock on! The Bishop and the Bert are two of the best arties in the game! I'd highly recommend every player has at least 1 battle in either of these brilliant artillery! The FV304 is one of my favourite artillery because it's so fast, has a good aim time and load time, decent gun arc and when you're the last on the team, you can Yolo run straight towards them and shotgun them at full speed! Plus, it's smaller than an ELC AMX, so at full speed it's pretty hard to hit!

Marducas91 #59 Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:53 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 17306 battles

I don't really know if someone has already said this but theres a couple of things I think arty players should do quite ofthen:

-press your reload botton ofthen so you'll make your team know how much time they need to wait ( if they are smart enough to do so and do not simply charge ahead gettin killed) before you can shot.

-mark your target to let your team know who you are focusing on, this especially if you are in  a match with more than 2 artyes per side...I've lost count on how many time I press my T button and the friendly arty shoots the same target          killing it and making me waste my shot...

- share/focus your fire wisely. share is more related to games with more than one arty per side.

cellaman7 #60 Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:19 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34665 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I tried telling the team the reload time whenever there was "Arty Sleeping" comment but they didn't grasp that apart from a reload time of 42 seconds and an aim time of another 12 that if a tank moved in that minute I would have to re aim.

Now I just let friendlies know when i'm targetting a tank by hitting the 'T' button. Just to let them know don't get too close you could get hit, but with Bert & Bish that rarely happens unless they ignore my warning and push the tank backwards and sit in the spot that the enemy was in when I clicked fire!

Also tagged with Arty, SPG, Artillery, Tanks, Arties, SPGs, Self-Propelled Guns, Campers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users