Tiger Panzerkampfwagen VI Full interior tank scale model WW2 1/35 Mid wittmann

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

CaptainBlaubar #1 Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:19 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7948 battles

Hy guys,

this will be a build log of a Tiger E mid production (depicted as stationed in France in early/mid 1944), with full interior built from scratch, including lights in 1/35 scale.

Current Progress (open)

The depicted Tiger would have been produced between:

November 1943 (old thought)

As a result of the designs of the hulls, my Tiger would need to be between Fahrgestellnummer 250772 and 250822

This will reduce the production period to:

January 1944 - Fgst.Nr: 250772

February 1944 - Fgst.Nr: 250822

During this time-frame, three major changes took place, therefore there is some possible variation to the Tiger that might be depicted

Specifications

Vehicle View

This is just before the "late production" started (steel rimmed road wheels, new turret roof and loaders and the monocular gun sight introduced for the gunner. (All specifications are shown at the end of this post).

Therefore, it should have the following features:

Most specifications of the Tiger I am building

And it should not have the following:

Not applicable for this Tiger

A list of items to be used:

Pz.Kpfw.VI Tiger I LATE w/Zimmerit Dragon 6383
Pz.Kpfw.VI Tiger I MID w/Zimmerit Dragon 6700 
2*Tiger I Mid. Production interior for (Academy)- EDUARD (3551icon_cool.gif 
Tiger I Mid. Production exterior for(Academy) - EDUARD (35520) 
Tiger I E Interior (Dragon) VERLINEN --> tonnes of modifications needed, for the second tiger i ordered the DMK version, let's see
AB 16L-02 Turned barrel for German machine gun MG3 
AB 35A10 Front and back fenders for Tiger 
AB 35A102 Turret stowage bin for TigerI  
AB 35A12 Side fenders for Tiger I E 
AB 35A79 German Tank Radio Set Fu 2 & Fu 5 
AB 35L-26NG German 88 mm KwK 36 L/56 Tiger I 
AB 72A01 German 2 m antennas x3 pcs 
AF 35087 8,8 cm Kwk 43 TIGER II (BRASS) ammunition 
ED 36162 German Wehrmacht Radio
ROY 094 Transmission

For anyone doing interiors of tanks, STAY AWAY from VERLINDEN!!! Making all stuff from scratch will waste less of your time than modifying Verlinden parts.

Really noticed this while trying to get this second generation firewall built from scratch, as neither Verlinden, nor CMK provide anything reasonably useful. 

Minute 0:25 and 1:57 adn 3:25... It seems that there is a welded plate covering the torsion bar in the drivers place... In a documentary (in German though - https://www.youtube....h?v=hP-94GfbBLI) they were also talking about this cover. From what can be seen in these photos, this plate is flat, does anyone have specific information on this? This would help when assempling the drivers compartment. (Now, 4 months later, I have found out that it is rounded in shape)
Waiting for some parts... Missing wire and plastic blocks...

Currently still trying to make this fire wall be ok...
My drawing of the shift in the position of the firewall, as it is approaching the torsion bars. Looks [auto-censored]ty, is quite usefull though. (Based on David Byrdens dimension input)

Not sanded yet, and still many moulding parts to be added, so it is still looking fairly crude...

I cut away excess material, but the mould ripped. I used putty to fix it, the white plastic was needed to cover a crack and reinforce it for the time being.
If you are also getting rid of this extra material in your model, use the file and smothing sponge more often, i tried to cut too large pieces and boom, [auto-censored] happened.

As both Verlinden AND CMK suck massively...

trying a 100% scratch firewall, nothing glued yet, all parts still need filing and lots of love, but it is slowly getting there. 
Just tore out the center of the bad CMK part, it seemed to be ok to use for the central round part.
Not sure how I will be modeling the super fine details, will see.

About some time later, work on the engine bay began...

I have been working on the engine details and have actually tested an airbrush for the first time... quite cool and interesting, I will never go back again^^. (Will add more photos of the crude and super bad Verlinden engine later...)

The tubes on top will run to the radiators/vents on either side and will change in form, i simply added them already so that I can begin attaching all the pipes that are running to and from the engine. Pretty sure that there are professionals who would have done a better and even more detailed job on it, however I feel fairly confident that most ppl would approve of this work.

I have done tonnes of work, I just messed up with the flywheel... As the sth sth is mounted below the flywheel rather than straight ontop it, so I will redo that part.
I am pretty happy with the rest of the engine setup based on all the photo material and design charts that i have. 
Mostly from the Bovington Tiger 131.

I have continued work on the engine bay and the engine.
I did not change the flywheel, however I have added a new pipe and a spring lever to the water cooling system of the engine.
This can be seen in the first picture. The lever handle need yet to be added (still thinking about how to do this).

Then I started adding wiring and pipe systems to the engine bay. After some failures, I have decided to do this before adding gimmicks to the front of the firewall, as stuff keeps breaking off, so I took all parts off from the front, and put them in a bin and they will be added later on again.

This is how it looks like with the engine in place.
Wiring on roof inside and on the back wall is still missing...

So far I am quite happy with the results.

(Next post contains photos of the turret (I have just begun working on it yesterday night) and the drivers compartment as well as other parts in the lower hull.

http://www.tiger1.info is already known by every modeler I guess, still a special thanks to you, too.

Special thanks to SDavies:

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=196822&ord=&page=1

Edited by CaptainBlaubar, 21 January 2015 - 06:15 PM.

CaptainBlaubar #2 Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:29 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7948 battles

On a side note...

I have built a Jagdtiger, Elefant and a King Tiger previously, the Elefant is not done yet, still tonnes of work needed, however I tried a different approach to coloring this time.
Coloring shades and rust and all this first, then applying a cover layer and thereafter itching/chippping away the top layer. Not sure if this is a good way, I am using the Elefant for trial and error and practicing. Will see how this looks once 3 top layers have been sprayed on it...

Battle damage colors and all other colors are not finished. These are first layers of paint and primer

CaptainBlaubar #3 Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:37 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7948 battles

It has been fairly cold these last days and since I have injoured my foot and need to rest it, I had some time to work on my Tiger.

I am still new to this whole detailed modelling and scratch building, so many things are far from super-cool and perfect, but perfect awesomeness "Endgegner-like" precision (Check out Steven Davis models) needs training, so I will post my progress here nontheless.

I have continued detailing the interior, sometimes using SDavies build as a guide and sometimes adding further detail (engine bay and on the floor the of driver's compartment) based on photos, or just trying new "methods". I hope that the stuff I am building is historically accurate. I must say that this thing is ways beyond what I expected it to be, the research involved is taking up twice the building time it seems. 

Here I have added the engine support posts in the rear of the engine bay. (The flywheel is still centered, I think it is supposed to be mounted off center, at least that is what some technical drawings suggest -  I will have to fix this.)

Here is a general view of the hull (a few days ago). It includes the drain mechanism in the rear (behind the engine support posts) as provided by David's page.

http://tiger1.info/EN/Rear-drain.html  

I did not manage to get the lighting right, I will add another/better photo later.

This is the front of the hull, I have started adding some levers and pipes. For a perfect version of this, view SDavies page, I have spilled glue and some pipes are not straight (beginners fail). And to the right of the driver's seat the the lever is too far in the front, but I hope it is still acceptable. I added so many more details that changing this was impossible in the end when I noticed :(.

Here I addd a paddle and started marking other pedals, mostly based on photos like this one and my Tiger book. 

I then added the thorttle and the cover for the torsion bar. I actually used multiple layers of aluminuim foil for this. It is easy to shape/cut/bend and can be used as thinly as two layers, one layer would not be strong enough.
Also notice the oil/lubrication tube I added to the shock absorber. I have not found where it leads to (all photos just show it running down the side of the hull (so I just put it down there and well none will see it anyway) 

I have added some more wiring and a stowage box above the shock absorber. Sad as it is, but I had nothing with "one opening hinge", but rather had to use one with two hinges. I might find some replacement later.

I have also included a spring mechanism that will be connected to the disc breakes later on in the top right front of the driver's compartment.

This is a little floor panel behind the driver's seat. Luckyly Tiger1.info (http://tiger1.info/E...loor-panel.html) had some nfo on this thing, as I have found no single photo of this. It is slanted downwards in the front and I might model my seat resting backwards on it and not in an upright position.

A close up view.

The shock absorber on the radio operator's side, including the metal plating protecting it, again, aluminium foil.

The gearbox is not glued so it looks really off... only put it in there to do some fitting.

Here is some photo of the engine bay... I started adding pipes and electricity cables. Looks kind of silly now - especially due to the ugly glue (I suck at using super glue), but after painting this should look better, I hope.

This is the front of it, so far.

Thanks for looking,
looking forward to help and feedback :)
Winter time is coming, so progress should be pretty decent in the next while. Sucks that I have no soldering rod and only very few tools in my tiny appartment at uni in Leipzig. I might need to get some more to increase details/neatness od the model.

Have a good week and cheers.

PS: Thanks for your cool build log SDavies, it helps and is really inspiring.

CaptainBlaubar #4 Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:43 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7948 battles

Doing some work on the turret for now...

Verlinden does not offer any parts for the recoil adapter and shell basket. Dragon's part is inaccurate though (at the joint of the two parts) and CMK, well, just about 18% too small, so again, scratch building time. Nothing is glued finitely yet, just fitting trials. Especially the breech needs to get its rounded end cut away. Later breeches had a 45 degree angle on them, this will be done maybe on Sunday. Also the joints of the lead rod to plastic will need some more work, so far they are not acceptable and out of alignment and therefore no final sanding and smoothing has been done on all these parts.

CMK to the right, Dragon on top, scratch on bottom left.

Shacou #5 Posted 12 December 2014 - 01:58 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 20141 battles
  • [TBOA] TBOA
That's some outstanding amount of work put in there, good job mate. Keep on going.

CaptainBlaubar #6 Posted 13 December 2014 - 12:17 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7948 battles
Thanks, are you scale modeling as well?

Edited by CaptainBlaubar, 13 December 2014 - 12:18 AM.

CptBarney #7 Posted 14 December 2014 - 03:30 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 18996 battles
  • [-WR--] -WR--

wow thats an insane amount of modelling!

the only model intensive thing i have ever built was my land raider crusader and well i had instructions and such but nothing as complicated as this. (well i did build this wooden ship but thats about it.)

i think you should start a youtube channel (if you want to) would be nice to see it done hand to hand in a more 'real time' perspective.

but anyways keep up the good work!

Here have many +1's!Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

nixxxie #8 Posted 14 December 2014 - 03:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 123 battles

Sorry to shatter your dreams :P , but plastic is a no-go. It's better to start from scratch next time with paper model. 

Check pics in this thread (not mine - those guys are nolifes compared to us humble wot players): http://www.konradus.com/forum/read.php?f=1&i=138818&t=138818&filtr=&page=1

That engine...

Edited by nixxxie, 14 December 2014 - 03:39 PM.

CaptainBlaubar #9 Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:04 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7948 battles

View Postnixxxie, on 14 December 2014 - 02:38 PM, said:

Sorry to shatter your dreams :P , but plastic is a no-go. It's better to start from scratch next time with paper model. 

Check pics in this thread (not mine - those guys are nolifes compared to us humble wot players): http://www.konradus.com/forum/read.php?f=1&i=138818&t=138818&filtr=&page=1

That engine...

This is some amazing work (the paper tank).

But,

a) I am a business student, not an engineer,

b) I have a real life, can't scratch build all, no time for that, as I want to build a few models during my life,

c) I need to support a living, while modeling

d) They have exact properties and all info in their instructions - it seems. The fun with 1/35 is to go for the detail that you need to find out yourself.

So nah, I will stick to plastic, or once I own a big house with a backyard, 1/16 with aluminum :D

Thx Barney, however there are pros with Youtube channels already ;-), I am not a pro^^.

CaptainBlaubar #10 Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:11 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7948 battles

Ok a little research and text update:

(I have also included this in the first post now, for any new readers. This shows the level of detail needed, when modeling a tank.)

With regards to these specifications, feel free to ask any questions. Pictures of actual Tigers with these specs will follow.

The depicted Tiger would have been produced between:

November 1943

February 1944

During this time-frame, three major changes took place, therefore there is some possible variation to the Tiger that might be depicted

Spoiler

This is just before the "late production" started (steel rimmed road wheels, new turret roof and loaders and the monocular gun sight introduced for the gunner. This is not an optimal depiction, but for now it serves the purpose.

SOURCE: http://www.alanhamby.com/changes.shtml

And own reference drawings

Specs

1) New commanders cupola

2) Loaders sight

3) Binocular sights

4) Lights should be one in center (here it still has old version, where one is on each side, the rightmost one missing however)

5) No shackle cutouts - non-notched hull extension (changed in late JAN 1944)

The long list of features:

Spoiler

I hope I got this right.
Any help would be awesome. Thanks

I forgot:
shackle cutouts, when have they been introduced? I think together with the steel rimmed road wheels? So I should be modeling the tank without the cutouts based on the production time-frame

Trying to match this to corresponding tanks of some Pz Division (503, 501 or s.SS.Abt101 later on tomorrow.

Edited by CaptainBlaubar, 18 December 2014 - 12:13 PM.

CaptainBlaubar #11 Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:47 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7948 battles

Based on my research session and pinning of vehicle numbers with units, I came to the following conclusion:

From D.W. to Tiger I
FgStNr 250635 - Travel lock added (November 1943) until FgStNr 250876 - p.138
FgStNr 250697 - Turret 250450 - internal travel lock added (December 1943) p.137
Big graph p.140
FgStNr 250772 - discontinue Feifel and add 20 ton jack (January 1944)- p. 141
FgStNr 250822 - Steel-rimmed road wheel (February 1944) p . 144

As a result of the designs of the hulls, my Tiger would need to be Fahrgestellnummer 250772 to 250822.
s.PzAbt 505
250786 Befehlswage
250807 Befehlswagen
250829 Befehlswagen - commander's vehicle #300 (Steel rims however)
s.PzAbt 507
s.PzAbt 509
250779 #795, received 2.2.1944
250794 #794, received 2.2.1944
250803 #794, received 5.2.1944
(Even turret numbers available)
s.PzAbt 502
It saw 14 + 8 deliveries in January, I traced 10 to be before 250772 hulls (i.e. of no interest) the rest is not obvious so far. Another 13 + 17 deliveries in February, no clue about those Fahrgestellnummern.
(Same problem with other (503...) Abteilungen)

sources: tiif.de, D.W. to Tiger I, missing-lynx.com

CaptainBlaubar #12 Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:26 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7948 battles

Some research updates:

Depicting the rear view with some of the specs of the Tiger:

Interesting here, the cover plate on the roof top.

Photo is 'From D.W. to Tiger I' I think (will check this later and add the correct source if wrong)

Interesting is the cover on top of the commander's hatch... Maybe a sun or rain cover? No clue.

Rear view of respective Tiger details

1) Travel lock

2) Persiscope

3) 20-ton jack

4) C-clamps

5) No new vent outlet

Uuups, Feifel mountings are still visible (screws/bolts above 3 and to the left of 4 on the rear hull plate). They will not be present any more on my Tiger.

Edited by CaptainBlaubar, 23 December 2014 - 01:29 PM.

CaptainBlaubar #13 Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:46 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7948 battles

Happy new year to all.

I will be posting some updates soon, major work has been done on the breech...

There was a lot to do, despite the many changes already done... All things marked in red are missing or wrong in with the Verlinden parts...

As my camera is being repaired atm, no photos, yet.

(From Spielberger's Panzer VI Tiger and the Germany's Tiger tanks, D.W. to Tiger I)

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

CaptainBlaubar #14 Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:33 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7948 battles

Still having problems with the camera...

Anyway, as I discovered many new problems with the breech and the shell bin... I disassembled it and have begun corrections...

Before: (its hurts my eyes and is gross to look at it actually) Current photos of corrections are only of the cartridge bins, not the breech itself.

After: (will add another picture after cleanup and once finished) - compare the crude and ridiculous CMK part above.

Need to clean and file the parts and then solder/glue them again after adding more details, especially the recoil measuring device, I took it off as it was awfully inaccurate. Especially the support beams had to be changed, they are flat but have a 45deg angle. Will try to get a better picture of this later on. I also added weld seams that are not yet visible.

The MG ammunition boxes for the radio operator were stored in the side sponsons. In case of incoming shells they had an extra layer of splinter protection. These are the two white pieces added. They are 1.15cm and 2.8cm long (40cm and 1m in RL). They are rounded on the botom to "collect the splinters" and shield the ammo from it. As far as I could see they were open on the top...

The left one marked with the 1.2 is welded onto the support for the front plate... I added this support beam. The white stuff around it are weld seams which still need to be cleaned. There are still bolts and nuts missing which I will add later.

The white part lying around on the bottom right is the roof support...It is fixed in the model already, but the photos are too crappy. 

Also on the driver's side I have taken away the wrong wheel/knob/handle to the right of the vision slit. It is still visible in this photo, but in all Tigers after May44 this had been changed to a round, not a riffled handle.

You can spot the splinter protection layer and the front plate support underneath the barrel... Note that the support structure is bent. I will file my parts accordingly before gluing the structure. So far I will leave it edgy.

And then I cut some view holes in the vision ports of the turret...

First of all I drilled 5 holes in each, then cut it out...

Cheers

CaptainBlaubar #15 Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:35 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7948 battles

Again, some stuff I had done some time ago, but had not shown pics yet...

This had been progress with the ammo storage in the hull side. 4 bins, each holding 4*4 rounds each. (all parts r right angles, fish eye screws up the view a bit. Most parts had not been glued back then. 

Garbage below and blood - some is also red ink however (above) are piling up.

Back to uni now. :P

Ok the camera actually allowed me to take a few photos yesterday night. 

The 2 ammo storages to the sides, each holding 4*4 rounds. Each round of the 2nd to 4th row (from bottom to top had a little switch to hold them into place. This has not been added yet. Since these parts are infinitely small, I am not sure if it is possible to add them. Each row of 4 rounds was held by 3 "planks", which again were held in place by a steel rod running from front to back of the boxes. (These brass rods will be cut into correct length later, for now they are still too long).

The brass rounds, in this case HE-Frag (top) and HEAT (bottom) fit nicely. Since the APCBC shells are marginally shorter, no need to use them for fitting.

Between the two ammo boxes will fit the roof support beams, which were visible in the first photo of the update. I took them out to model the rest. Once done with the ammo boxes, I will put them back in. Not all is perfectly straight, but these parts are so numerous and so small, I had a hard time getting this done and am quite happy with it.

Next will be the lubrication system for the rear so that I can finally get the very bottom of the hull finished (battery boxes installed and floor ammo cases).

Cheers

Edited by CaptainBlaubar, 14 January 2015 - 07:25 PM.

CaptainBlaubar #16 Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:24 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7948 battles

I put this in a separate post...

1) I am missing photos of the closing shades for the ammo boxes. If anyone has ideas, input or photos, I would appreciate this.

2) Any close up photos or blueprints of the HL 230 P45 engine (two air filters on top, not three) would also help alot!

Would be cool.

Thanks

Edited by CaptainBlaubar, 14 January 2015 - 07:25 PM.

CaptainBlaubar #17 Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:51 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7948 battles

Thanks to the guys who have send me mails. Appreciated.

Spoiler

And here one more view of the inside from the front...

I have taken out the driver's seat and some parts for refitting and new scratch building. Some parts got damaged and will need repairs, this kind of sucks, but then again, it was a bit messy anyways. 

Cheers, have a good one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users