Scout hunter Auf. Panther

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

tnk_x5000 #1 Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:17 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 29166 battles
I think I am in minority of players that find the Auf. Panther better if it is armed with the howitzer. Yes, the tank gets heavier and that is bad for a light tank. That is bad, if you do not intend to use the frontal armor of the tank as a secondary weapon and you do not like a gun with high potential but that cannot be trusted. Me- I do not have thous problems.

From the first battle with the tank, I knew this machine is not going to be good at scouting- it is way too sluggish. Not even the guns seemed too impressive to me, but that was before I found out how to play with a howitzer. Still, the overall hull armor, 85mm frontal armor and high weight of the tank showed me that this tank is going to be the best light tank for ramming in the tier. All I needed to do was to make this tank even better at ramming.

The 157mm penetration of the Waffe gun did not impress me much- I consider that much penetration with that much mobility to be lacking in efficiency- my standards are high due to the 175mm penetration of the American light tanks of the same tier. So I played with the howitzer loaded with HE shells- extra weight and splash damage. I did not care for the average amount of damage per shot- it may be little, but it is still enough for it to disturb my targets. I added a spall-liner for ramming protection, taught my driver how to ram right (Controlled Impact)- more ramming damage and more ramming protection; how to turn faster (Clutch Braking) and how to be better at off-road driving (Off-road Driving)- when my pray is not standing still and to accelerate a bit faster. Ventilation and Gun Rammer are for better combat abilities.

Driver: Controlled Impact -> Clutch Braking -> Off-road Driving
All other members' skills are not really important (still- some view range bonuses are never a bad choice). Once the crew reaches 4th skills, you can teach all the members BiA, but ramming and hull traverse skills must be always at 100%.
Enchanted optics are not useful for this tank, due to its bad camo and mobility, so- vents, rammer and the most important spall-liner.

Now the gameplay of this tank becomes more active- this tank is now a scout hunter and troll tank. You do not go out in the field to light up enemies, you do have neither the camo nor the mobility for that. You go out to find a light tank, hit it with a HE shell and then finish it off with a devastating ram - I have done over 900 ramming damage on the AMX 13 90 on even terrain and I can take out a third of the health of a WZ-132 (I do not own the Auf. Panther since the 9.3 patch, now I own the Ru 251, so I do not know how much can the Panther do against the new light tanks). Do not worry about harming yourself from the ramming- you already have armor, spall-liner and your driver knowing how to ram all to lower the damage on your tank, just try not to ram with your tracks too much. That is IF you find a light tank to duel. If not, you will find yourself disrupting the enemy tanks- break their tracks, optics and guns while making them make the mistake of giving you attention, finish off tanks that are on "one spit" health and even ram soviet medium tanks that are crippled. But do not get too exited- you can't handle a battle on your shoulders, you can only support the team.

Now with the Waffenträgers and new light tanks in the game, the efficiency of the howitzers, and HE shells in general, is higher- there much more extremely soft targets. So, even if there are not many light tanks for you to hit your HE shells, there are still the Waffenträgers and artillery that will gladly take the shells.

Many in the forums have said that this tank is good at ramming, but in game I do not see many use the ramming abilities of this tank to its full potential. This is something unique and quite potent about this the Auf. Panther and it is a bit sad to see players rarely use it and play with the tank only as a sniper medium. If you are going for the Inden Panzer, I would actually recommend playing as a sniper medium, though- the next tanks are snipers, so it is a good idea to learn sniper gameplay.

Are there any others who prefer this scout hunting build for the Reconnaissance Panther?

darkfang77 #2 Posted 27 December 2014 - 12:02 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 31246 battles
You can ram a t54 with the awful panther for 300-400 damage btw, and I killed a bulldog from full hp with one ram + one shot from the waffe.

lordbeefy #3 Posted 24 January 2015 - 07:10 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 26039 battles

i just unlocked the awful panther....i have all guns unlocked from elsewhere, but need to unlock the tracks turret and engines.....im not a big fan of the vk2801 that preceeds it.....am i going to like this?  is it worth even bothering with it?

i have the t37 and m41 which are a bundle of fun, so not really sure if its worth the time and effortto take a new light route.

thanks for the input.

Fluffy_The_Destroyer #4 Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:09 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 53 battles

Just buy it but dont grind it.. its getting removed very soon and replaced with the SPI.C tier 7 german light tank from what i read.

Cant find it on FTR but the news is on there. somewhere around "possible WT E100 replacement"

panzeraustirol #5 Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:19 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8213 battles
Aufklarer will be replaced by S.Pz. or something like that with 90mm gun. This will happen this year.

armholeeio #6 Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:06 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17752 battles
Konish gun binos and snipe like a boss

lordbeefy #7 Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:37 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 26039 battles

View PostFluffy_The_Destroyer, on 24 January 2015 - 10:09 PM, said:

Just buy it but dont grind it.. its getting removed very soon and replaced with the SPI.C tier 7 german light tank from what i read.

Cant find it on FTR but the news is on there. somewhere around "possible WT E100 replacement"

ok, ill go for that option...hopefully it pays off....thanks

Fluffy_The_Destroyer #8 Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:32 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 53 battles
Its really just a pz4H with a speed buff and forced into tier 10 battles. WG devs really screwed up big time with this POS tank.

tnk_x5000 #9 Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:15 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 29166 battles
I say try it, just for the ramming fun. I won't blame you if you do not like it.

BoletusLuridus #10 Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:44 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26171 battles

Ramming is damn useless - you have to hug the enemy which means a lot of fire exposure and you lose health when you do so. The tank itself is fat beyond anyone's ken, there's no way to hide this monstrosity behind anything. Soft and big - ideal shellbait. Gun has no advantage, pen is low, no autoloader, terrible bloom after moving. 0/0, would not recommend. Big XP pinata.

tnk_x5000 #11 Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:45 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 29166 battles

You can take out an AMX 13 75 with a single ram taking around 50 HP with the build I explained. And AMX 13 90 can be also taken out with a single HE shell from the howitzer and good ram. A WZ-132 can lose half its health from a ram in the side. Even soviet mediums can get hurt when ramming with the build I explained. All on even terrain. The Auf. Panther is like an E 50 M against other light tanks.

And no, you do not ram every time you see a good pray for ramming, that is just stupid.

Even I had bad expectations for this tank. I saw the armor and weight of the tank, and I played accordingly and had fun. Like I said - try it, it is a unique tank.

Play the tank for what it is, not what you want it to be. All excuses "But it should do a specific task" do not work, because the class of the tank has NOTHING to do with the play style.

Walther_Waltherson #12 Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:21 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 39036 battles
For the New lights. I took of a ru251 300hp just with snipping him in a short ran on airfield in The center with about 50m of distance. That was quite impressing. After that taking 135 hp every 2.7 s ans lightung him up. Ciao ru251. Still i will stay wiht the konish. I dont like howitzers. Ans as my crew will move zu the ru251. I would take drivers Skills but not ramming Performance.

Edited by Spraggle, 05 February 2015 - 08:22 AM.

BoletusLuridus #13 Posted 14 February 2015 - 01:31 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26171 battles

View Posttnk_x5000, on 17 December 2014 - 03:17 AM, said:

Enchanted optics

You see unicorns when you look through them? :P

View Posttnk_x5000, on 03 February 2015 - 01:45 AM, said:

You can take out an AMX 13 75 with a single ram taking around 50 HP with the build I explained. And AMX 13 90 can be also taken out with a single HE shell from the howitzer and good ram. A WZ-132 can lose half its health from a ram in the side. Even soviet mediums can get hurt when ramming with the build I explained. All on even terrain. The Auf. Panther is like an E 50 M against other light tanks.

And no, you do not ram every time you see a good pray for ramming, that is just stupid.

Even I had bad expectations for this tank. I saw the armor and weight of the tank, and I played accordingly and had fun. Like I said - try it, it is a unique tank.

Play the tank for what it is, not what you want it to be. All excuses "But it should do a specific task" do not work, because the class of the tank has NOTHING to do with the play style.

It's just a one-trick pony (or in this case - one-trick panther). A tank is good when its all-around performance is good. For AwfulPanther, it's not. The derp is a joke on this tier - it effectively limits you to anti-scout purpose. And I reckon it has reload time no better than that on Hetzer. Tier IV gun on tier VII tank with tier VIII matchmaking? I think I will pass.

wetdogsmells #14 Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:48 PM

Private

• Player
  • 14847 battles

is it really getting replaced? what will happen now that i own the auf panther when its replaced?

if it is going i will be the happiest wot player ever, i have had no problem with any of the tanks in this line but once unlocked and a few games in i knew this pos tank was just a joke.

Tazilon #15 Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:02 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 966 battles

View PostBoletusLuridus, on 14 February 2015 - 12:31 PM, said:

You see unicorns when you look through them? :P

It's just a one-trick pony (or in this case - one-trick panther). A tank is good when its all-around performance is good. For AwfulPanther, it's not. The derp is a joke on this tier - it effectively limits you to anti-scout purpose. And I reckon it has reload time no better than that on Hetzer. Tier IV gun on tier VII tank with tier VIII matchmaking? I think I will pass.

The 105 is quite effective at all tiers.  I wish I could still play vs Tier X in my 28.01.  But I use the Waffe on my Auf P because it is a good sniper tank with binocs.  As for ramming, it does ram well but you should never make ramming a primary attack style.   Ramming is an emergency procedure for when you need a DPS boost quickly.

I say that being ranked #2 on the NA server in Kamikazes and having 2.5 times as many Kamikazes as anyone on the Eu server.

Yes, the Auf P excels at ramming - but don't ram unless you have to to stay alive or keep a team mate alive.

nighttrain123 #16 Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:50 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 16845 battles

I think it's a great little tank, but you have to arm it with the waffle gun and hang back and snipe more.

Once I adapted to it I got my best average WN8's in this tank.

I rammed loads of tank in it too, especially when counter scouting. Got a 251 right in the face once took most of his hp.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users