Which tier IV USSR scout tank is best?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Todeskult #1 Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 33840 battles

Hi!

I wanted to ask what's in your opinion (and why) best Russian tier IV scout light tank?

Is it T-50 (I have just sold it, after trying to get back to it after nerfs done to it few patches ago).

Maybe A-20? Haven't played it quite a bit, I remember I was very angry with its performance while grinding it towards T-34 (I think in older days it was the only tree-way to get KV-1). Has it got any better since maybe?

Or maybe you prefer T-80, quite maneuverable tiny tank with its auto-cannon?

Observer413 #2 Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:41 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 29019 battles
Hello.
Answering the question provided, i say: the best tier4 USSR scout tank is a T-50.

Reason- since patch 9.1 T-50 is the only russian tier4 tank with scout MM. So there you go :P 

Further explanation:
A-20 got its scout MM taken away in 9.1, now it has normal tier4 mm- tier6 is highest tier you will see in this tank.
T-80 always had normal MM, as in- a light tank that doesn't have scout MM. Similar like british Covenanter, Valentine or french AMX 40.

For all intences and purposes, think of of A-20 and T-80 as a substitutes for a tier4 medium tanks.

Edited by Observer413, 08 January 2015 - 11:43 PM.

Todeskult #3 Posted 09 January 2015 - 12:46 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 33840 battles

View PostObserver413, on 08 January 2015 - 11:41 PM, said:

Answering the question provided, i say: the best tier4 USSR scout tank is a T-50.
Reason- since patch 9.1 T-50 is the only russian tier4 tank with scout MM. So there you go :P

:hiding: I just knew I had made it wrong, but like I stated I haven't played A-20 nor T-80 some long time.

View PostObserver413, on 08 January 2015 - 11:41 PM, said:

Further explanation:
A-20 got its scout MM taken away in 9.1, now it has normal tier4 mm- tier6 is highest tier you will see in this tank.
T-80 always had normal MM, as in- a light tank that doesn't have scout MM. Similar like british Covenanter, Valentine or french AMX 40.

For all intences and purposes, think of of A-20 and T-80 as a substitutes for a tier4 medium tanks.

Now I have found that:

The following vehicles are marked as Scouts:

So the best tier IV USSR scout is T-50... which I've just sold :teethhappy:

BTW: why Chinese M5 Stuart is marked as scout while its US brother isn't? Aren't those performing similary?

Edited by Todeskult, 09 January 2015 - 12:46 AM.

Observer413 #4 Posted 09 January 2015 - 11:52 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 29019 battles

View PostTodeskult, on 08 January 2015 - 11:46 PM, said:

BTW: why Chinese M5 Stuart is marked as scout while its US brother isn't? Aren't those performing similary?

According to WoT wiki, both tier4 stuarts got scout mm. Didn't play any of tier4 Stu's since like a year, though.

As for performance, IMO chinese always was better than the USA just because of its better gun(47mm, with apcr it has 130mm pene, enough to pen anything you face from the rear or side), while USA stu had short 75mm derp, which was good mostly for tracking of enemies(unless you found some paper tanks like hellcats, german tier5 toaster-td, nasshorn, cromwell from the side or rear etc).

But after patch 9.3, USA stu lost its 75mm miniderp, and got it replaced with autoloading 37mm gun, which even with APCR is higly inadequate even against many tier5 enemies. To put it in a perspective, chinese Stu has more penetration on its regular AP, than USA stu has on its premium round.

So before 9.3, the chinese was better. After 9.3, usa Stu is just plain awful.

Sure, that scout is meant for scouting so gun should be irrelevant, but in random battles even scout will have to deal some damage at crucial times, and chinese Stu is the right tank for the job.

But again, i haven't played any of tier4 Stuarts in a looong time, maybe there are some diffrences in camo or mobility(which im too lazy to check), or this 37mm autoloading gun performs better than i'm expecting. So consider USA stu worse, unless some other player who played it recently will come here and state otherwise, giving some good evidence in form of replays and such. ;p

Edited by Observer413, 09 January 2015 - 12:00 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users