Medium tank Tech tree Heavy

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

KochennGG #1 Posted 20 January 2015 - 05:37 PM

Private

• Player
  • 244 battles

Hey.

I recently started playing and I have managed, after some time, to get ahold of the T-28 soviet tank. 

Yet I wonder, whenever I play, I feel like it does not have any power at all. Especially heavy tanks are a problem. I do not know if it is I who plays wrong (it probably is) and if so, could anyone explain the role of medium tank to me? I am yet fairly new. 

PeaceWalker1 #2 Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:17 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16681 battles
  • [-WIR_] -WIR_

it is fast and has a good gun, but it is also quite big and has almost no armor, so you have to play either as sniper, or as fast frontfighter, using your speed

you can read more about it here  http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Tank:T-28

Edited by PeaceWalker1, 20 January 2015 - 06:18 PM.

leoneazzurro #3 Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:55 AM

Major

• Player
  • 4654 battles

T-28 is a beast (best WN8 tank for me). Fantastic gun (57mm) with good mobility. No armor, of course, otherwise it would be more than OP. Use it as a mobile sniper initially, later as a flanker. Use mobility to get behind enemies, then unleash the RoF. Also even if the size is not so small, camo values are not bad. Yesterday, made a very good game in Siegfried line in tier 6, sniping enemy tanks and doing around 1,6K damage and 3 kills (including a Churchill III and a KV-85). Really good and for me better than Matilda at tier 4 because the mobility (Maty is too slow to react to rapid front changes).

Edited by leoneazzurro, 21 January 2015 - 10:56 AM.

HOBBES063 #4 Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:13 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 3575 battles
just bought this tank on my way to the KV1 and WOW!!, It's a fabulous killing machine. 5 battles 5 wins, 2 aces, 1 topgun. The gun is superb and by pure luck and great gun depression I found hull down positions at westfield and just sniped away for the 2 ace tankers. Even against T5 it can do well. Sod the KV1, this one is staying!!

Khitan #5 Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:30 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36526 battles
the gun on this tank is just brill at tier 4. And that premium penetration - you could chew tier 8's up with that thing. But tbh you very rarely need it as standard pen is more than adequate.

Celtic_Trodai #6 Posted 19 July 2015 - 05:48 PM

Private

• Player
  • 156 battles

I'm having an awful time with this tank. 

I am getting minced by most tanks I come up against, especially Hetzers. 

lord_chipmonk #7 Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:12 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36371 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

So, typically medium tanks have an adequate gun, adequate armour and adequate mobility. They are the jack of all trades that can adapt to any situation. The T-28 however is not a typical medium, so this isn't very helpful. What is the T-28? Well, it is more like a turreted TD with good mobility. 

Pros:

-The top gun is amazing. Seriously, there are tier 4 TDs that wish they could mount a gun this good. You want to keep this firing. 

-The mobility is good, especially for such a large machine (more on that later). So, if your enemies are closing the distance, fire up the engine and get out of there before trouble finds you

Cons:

-The armour is "HE rounds will penetrate me allowing arty, and some TDs and meds (Shermans, Hetzers etc) to kill me with one shot" levels of bad. Do not get shot. This can be a problem because...

-The T-28 is huge. It is a massive, easy to hit (if you're stationary anyway) target and it has...

-Poor camo. It can be hard to remain undetected at times. You want ideally to reveal as little of your huge tank as possible when shooting if you are spotted which is also a pain because...

-The gun depression sucks, meaning that often you think "I just need to go a bit further out to get the shot" reveal your whole tank and die. Resist this urge! Can't point the gun down enough to get a shot? Shoot something else or relocate or just be patient. 

So, how to play this? Well, shoot and scoot. Keep your distance and pick the bad guys apart with your badass gun. Use camoflage to your advantage and if the bad guys get too close, go somewhere else. Do NOT reveal more of your tank than absolutely necessary when shooting (if you're thinking "just a bit more", relocate instead), it will get you killed. 

As you can see from this thread, the T-28 has its fans, I am not one of them though. Whether you like it or not is up to you. 

Hope that helps and happy tanking! :playing:

Bulldog_Drummond #8 Posted 20 July 2015 - 01:08 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33189 battles
  • [SHYLO] SHYLO

View Postlord_chipmonk, on 19 July 2015 - 06:12 PM, said:

As you can see from this thread, the T-28 has its fans, I am not one of them though. Whether you like it or not is up to you. 

My top six tanks by xTE rating are:

1. T-28
  2. Hetzer
  3. Covenanter
  4. T-46
  5. M3 Lee
  6. T-80

Oddly enough five of the six are Tier IV, which many people don't like, and I think I only had 80% crew skills on these.  The xTE on the T-28 is probably more a reflection on the poor skills of other players using the tank than of any brilliance on my part because my win rate on it is only 48% (25 games) whereas with the others it is 55 - 56%.  (Although best results on the T-28 were a respectable 5 kills and 1400 damage.) I suspect that many new players just grind it as quickly as possible to get to the KV-1.  But it is very effective if used properly by focusing on its speed and superb gun, and is less of a one-trick-pony than the Hetzer.  It gets underestimated, yet can do serious frontal damage to any heavy tank opposition, which is more than you can say about most Tier IV tanks.  The most frustrating aspect is that you will get frequently one-shotted by derp guns and artillery and the armour will not protect you from anything.

leoneazzurro #9 Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:51 PM

Major

• Player
  • 4654 battles

View PostCeltic_Trodai, on 19 July 2015 - 05:48 PM, said:

This is because you have too few battles and need to learn to "first avoid to being hit, then shoot" mantra. Hetzer can one-hot you, so it's a VERY bad idea to go one vs one against them. But... Hetzers have poor view range, and your gun can pen them almost everywhere. So stay at distance and snipe. 

StringWitch #10 Posted 26 July 2015 - 06:04 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 12576 battles

The problem with the T-28 is that is actually a good tank for its tier, but very awkward for a new player. This leads many people never to touch it again, which as I've discovered today after rebuying it is a rather sad fact. I love these underestimated tanks that turn out to be one of the many gems hidden in the low tiers. One wonders what goes through the minds of people who see a T-28 at the top of the scoreboard after a tier 5 or 6 match.

There's something funny I've noticed about it. Not only is it incredibly lightweight for such a large tank, the top suspension supports a weight limit that's almost twice as high as the stock model, giving it a massively redundant 32.3 ton limit. This thing literally could carry a tier 2 arty on its back for fire support. :trollface:

View PostCeltic_Trodai, on 19 July 2015 - 04:48 PM, said:

If you really have to fight a tank slinging 105mm HE, you can turn broadside and hope it hits your tracks instead of your hull/turrets, only dealing splash damage instead of registering as a penetration. This damage will (probably — I haven't done this enough times to say) be less than your full health, so you could just about survive a single shell. Of course this is only a viable survival tactic if the enemy in question is only one or two shots away from death themselves (possibly three if you have a good crew and they have a bad one). Your best defence is to avoid being the guy in front if you can help it, remain map aware and steer completely clear of the typical howitzer tanks for as long as possible. If that means literally doing a 180 and fleeing from the current situation, so be it. A lot of this is, I'm afraid, an intuition you'll have to develop with experience over time as you become more familiar with particular vehicles as opponents as well as your own one's limitations.

Edited by StringWitch, 26 July 2015 - 06:10 AM.

Bulldog_Drummond #11 Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:49 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33189 battles
  • [SHYLO] SHYLO

The Hetzer is a very effective little tank if played well, which is why you see so many of them, but the T-28 is not unique in being vulnerable to it.  The Hetzer 105 mm can easily one-shot any tank at Tier IV and below.  Counter-balancing that is its abysmal view range, inaccurate gun, rotten gun arc, paper side armour and huge frontal weak spot.  It will also struggle to penetrate many Tier V and VI opponents, even using HEAT.

By contrast the T-28 has an accurate, rapid-firing 57 mm gun that will easily punch holes in the front armour of any Tier VI heavy, and can dispose of the Hetzer in 3 shots.  A perfectly viable tactic is to give the T-28 vents, camo and binos and use it as a mobile sniper in the early game, then later use its speed to close up and act as a medium.  If you play the T-28 as a brawler it won't last long, since even Tier II auto-loaders will penetrate its frontal armour without any difficulty.

Chester_Chuckles #12 Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:34 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 11511 battles

Love this tank,

It has 2 incredible disadvantages, and 2 incredible advantages

BAD, very bad

1. It's the size of a soviet tractor factory
2. coupled with having absolutely no armour of any kind.
It's so big, you can't even use other tanks for cover!
- this ALSO means that it has terrible camo!
oops that's 3 1/2 disadvantages ... 'Oh no - we're screwed!' I hear you say.

However ...

GOOD

1. It is one of the fastest & most maneuvrable tanks you are going to find. Use this to hide
2. It's gun can snipe accurately across nearly the entire map,
and fires with the rate of Satan's machine gun.

So, your first (and maybe only) priority is to find something big enough to hide your fat [edited]behind,
and let the gun do the work for you.

it also has another slight advantage: the turret is quite far forward,
so you ONLY have to expose 30% of your tank to fire round corners!

I admit i never liked this tank to start off with,
it is the exact opposite everything a tank is supposed to be.

PS - you NEED the top engine & gun.

but with a bit of luck you can work magic with it:

(i apologise for blowing my own trumpet ....  my highest kills ever) & thanks to Tankmarvin in a matilda, for really helping me out and soaking up loads of shells.

http://wotreplays.com/site/2225841

Edited by Chester_Chuckles, 21 October 2015 - 07:53 PM.

leoneazzurro #13 Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:46 AM

Major

• Player
  • 4654 battles

Very good game: A good thing about T-28 is that with mobility and gun it can perform well even in higher tiers. Here's a sample game, very recent: 

http://wotreplays.co...oneazzurro-t-28

not somethng outstanding, but shows what can happen when you understimate this tank (and this without gold spam, if you use gold on it it is a force to be feared even by most armored tier 6 heavies).

ManiaMuse #14 Posted 23 October 2015 - 07:57 AM

Private

• Player
  • 12009 battles

I love this tank. However you do need to remember its strengths and weaknesses to play it well.

Pros:

- Really good acceleration, traverse speed and power-to-weight ratio for powering up hills. Peekabooing is quite viable as you can move forward then backwards so quickly.

- 57 gun has amazing dpm and good accuracy, especially if you get upgrades/skills to improve loading time/aiming speed. It can chew through tier 4 and 5 tanks and fairly reliably pens tier 6s as well.

Cons:

- Top speed isn't that amazing for more open maps

- It has no armour, not much hp and is a huge target for tier 4 games. If you get spotted first then arty and hidden TDs just love to one-hit you

So to play it well you need to avoid the temptation to run headlong into battle and be more patient. Support your heavies behind cover. Use your good speed to relocate often and flank enemy tanks. If you see an opportunity to sneak past the enemy then do so and rape their arties back at base. Also it pays to KNOW YOUR ENEMY and weakspots. No point going up against the front of a troll tank like an AMX 40 or Matilda if it means you expose yourself to several shots that will probably kill you.

In tier 6 games you are less useful so hank back more and try to take opportunistic shots like if you see a tier 6 tank on low hp.

Also imo it is a lot better on city maps with more cover than open maps.

tiggyD #15 Posted 30 January 2016 - 12:30 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 9304 battles

One of my favourite tanks. I'm naturally a bit of a sniper so the gun is great for me and the lack of armour isn't much of an issue. The power you have when you move is great. Hills are kind of meaningless when you're driving.

Just been in a battle on steppes where I took out 9 reds. I sniped from behind bushes a bit, then flanked right round the edge killing a few. I was first to reach the very back of the enemy and shot several in the back, including a Hetzer. (Shoot the side or rear, or low at the front). I was near the red cap zone when the enemy started capping and I still beat all my team to kill 2 in our base, and kamikaze destroyed another.

In my top 5 tanks along with Pz38(t),T67, T1, and my beloved Matilda.

LelemudNo1 #16 Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:50 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 300 battles
The tank is pretty good once you have a camo crew on it, otherwise it can be a pain to play. Also GLD is a must for those long range sniping shots, because the reload is faster than aim time

hajoittaja #17 Posted 09 March 2016 - 07:05 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 39284 battles
  • [ELC3K] ELC3K
T-28 is one of the best tier 4 tanks, but it's not for the inexperienced players as its also one of the easiest tanks to damage. Back in my noob days I had 40 % WR after about 60 games and 0.3 dmg ratio. Now, with better knowledge of the game I bought it back and wanted to see how it performs; 230 games with 59% WR and 1.5 dmg ratio. Once the crew gets better, it'll be a monster :)

leoneazzurro #18 Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:26 PM

Major

• Player
  • 4654 battles

Indeed, and it is not even afraid of higher tier matches, even without premium ammo

http://wotreplays.eu...oneazzurro-t-28

(OK, the enemy team was particularly bad in this game but you can get the story...) 

Edited by leoneazzurro, 09 March 2016 - 10:27 PM.

73north #19 Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:27 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 39788 battles

This tank plays well as either a flanking skirmisher or a sniper. Once upgraded, this tank combines speed with strong firepower.

I used a camo net and a few crew trained in camo , to try to survive longer on an open map

Its survivability depends on not being spotted; I try to snipe and keep on the move to make my game last longer , you cannot take a hit from arty in this tank

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users