Spähpanzer RU 251 best prepartion for the Leo 1?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Ambiorix1032 #1 Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:31 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 4292 battles

Hi all !

I was wondering the following, I really love the Leopard 1 (my uncle and father serviced on this tank ) and I'm grinding for it.

But I do like the Indien Panzer but I think  it isn't really a good preparation for the Leopard series now we got the RU 251.

Personally I love it that we got a second path to get to the Leopard  1 ( I'm an MT driver ) so the German tech tree gets some flexebility.

Now comes the real point of this post; Is the Spähpanzer a better tank to prepare yourself to master the Leo series that comes after it?

I base my idea on the hull armour of the tanks that lead to the Leo series

• Indien Panzer:
    • Hull :90 mm front 90 mm sides , 45 mm back
    • Turret: identical of the hull
  • Spähpanzer RU 251 :
    • Hull: 25 mm front, 20 mm sides, 8 mm back
    • Turret: 20 mm all round

Leopard 1 has the following armour stats:

• Hull: 70 mm front, 35 mm sides; 25 mm back
  • Turret: 52 mm front, 60 mm sides + back

Personnally I think yes in a Leopard 1 you can't afford to get hit and I think that you won't bounce anyhting in a T10 game that shoots at you. I think a Leopard 1 tank is a good harraser and flanking tank that relies heavely on support of other tanks (MT's , HT's ).

But I really want to know what other players think of this ?

Maybe you have a Spähpanzer or a Leopard 1 it would be nice to have an input of people who own it/them :)

Thanks for reading ! :honoring:

ps: no rage or neg rep ! I want a decent discussion !

MetalManiac69 #2 Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:28 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23425 battles

yes, RU 251 is similar in playstlye to Leo 1, but I wouldn't say it's a good trainer for Leo, because they're both very difficult to play. :)

on a more serious note, I recommend you to go with RU instead of Indien, it will prepare you for the playstyle, and besides that, it's a keeper, very fun to play on any map or terrain.

~200 battles, 66% winrate soloLOLO...:harp:

Ambiorix1032 #3 Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:47 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 4292 battles

View PostMetalManiac69, on 28 January 2015 - 05:28 PM, said:

yes, RU 251 is similar in playstlye to Leo 1, but I wouldn't say it's a good trainer for Leo, because they're both very difficult to play. :)

on a more serious note, I recommend you to go with RU instead of Indien, it will prepare you for the playstyle, and besides that, it's a keeper, very fun to play on any map or terrain.

~200 battles, 66% winrate soloLOLO...:harp:

Ok I'll follow your advise mate ! Thanks for the help ! +1 :medal::honoring:

Brav_LOWE #4 Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:57 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 21892 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

RU is a little bugger. I still remind that match where i was 1vs5 and still they couldn't catch me. And yes, it was on the CT.

IMHO, RU is more of a ADHD kid. Fastest vehicle in the game, good RoF, decent penetration for a T8 scout... what should i mention anymore?

Leopard 1 is a great sniper. In it, you mostly try to find agressive positions (like the lighthouse on Cliff) and snipe or snapshot weakspots/sides of the enemy. And no, Leopard 1 isn't a scout (i tried scouting with it and resulted in failing hard). If you want a pure ADHD kid line, go for B-C25t. This is also another good T10 medium.

I hope i helped you a little :P

Ambiorix1032 #5 Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:08 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 4292 battles

View PostBrav_LOWE, on 28 January 2015 - 09:57 PM, said:

RU is a little bugger. I still remind that match where i was 1vs5 and still they couldn't catch me. And yes, it was on the CT.

IMHO, RU is more of a ADHD kid. Fastest vehicle in the game, good RoF, decent penetration for a T8 scout... what should i mention anymore?

Leopard 1 is a great sniper. In it, you mostly try to find agressive positions (like the lighthouse on Cliff) and snipe or snapshot weakspots/sides of the enemy. And no, Leopard 1 isn't a scout (i tried scouting with it and resulted in failing hard). If you want a pure ADHD kid line, go for B-C25t. This is also another good T10 medium.

I hope i helped you a little :P

Yeah thanks for your advice but I don't being an ADHD line because you will sooner or later get addicted to speed and that gets you killed.
" Hey I'm in a BC try and catch me " 2 second later rams into a heavy tank or worse crashes against a Mause :teethhappy:

tnk_x5000 #6 Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:57 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 29166 battles

No, it is not.

The Ru 251 can do excellent active scouting, the Leo 1 cannot so well, not even passive - reserve scout only.

The Ru 251 can rely on its speed to live, the Leo 1 cannot, and people know that the Leo 1 is one big weak spot, so they will not even wait for their guns to fully aim.

The Ru 251 has problems sniping, due to slow shells, the Leo 1 is an excellent sniper - 0.3 accuracy and APCR shells.

The Ru 251 has good gun depression only to the sides, the Leo 1 has it to all sides (except to the back), allowing it to make better use of terrain.

The Ru 251 can do dangerous maneuvers and play aggressively, the Leo 1 needs a more slower approach, a good sniping position and busy enemies.

Trying to play the Leopard 1 as an Ru 251 is a complete waste of a good gun. And playing Leo 1 with the Ru gameplay is a waste of a good scout. In many cases, the Ru 251 can handle a battle with good scouting, but the Leopard 1 is a pure support tank, so do not expect yourself to win the game. None is a good preparation for none.

The Inden Pz. is the better preparation, because the tank also gets punished for aggressive gameplay. The Inden being more resistant to shells and having american gun depression makes the tank more forgiving: in case you stay under fire when you should not, you will live a bit longer; you can snipe from more locations, thus teaching you sniping habits, which you will need. The whole line is a line of support tanks, and the Ru 251 is NOT supporting half of the time - in requires support when active scouting and causing chaos.

But unless you can't play scout, you can try playing the Ru 251 in the wrong way and play sniper. But like I said - it is a waste of a scout that can actually turn the tables in the favor of the team.

I own both, I love both. But the game hates me for playing the Leopard 1 and I can't handle battles with this tank and it shows.

MetalManiac69 #7 Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23425 battles

View Posttnk_x5000, on 12 March 2015 - 08:57 PM, said:

The Ru 251 can do excellent active scouting, the Leo 1 cannot so well, not even passive - reserve scout only.

The Ru 251 can rely on its speed to live, the Leo 1 cannot, and people know that the Leo 1 is one big weak spot, so they will not even wait for their guns to fully aim.

The Ru 251 has problems sniping, due to slow shells, the Leo 1 is an excellent sniper - 0.3 accuracy and APCR shells.

The Ru 251 can do dangerous maneuvers and play aggressively, the Leo 1 needs a more slower approach, a good sniping position and busy enemies.

But unless you can't play scout, you can try playing the Ru 251 in the wrong way and play sniper. But like I said - it is a waste of a scout that can actually turn the tables in the favor of the team.

Leo can't spot properly? LOL, it's one of the best tanks for spotting in this game.

Leo can't rely on its speed to survive? LOL, it's the only thing besides camo that keeps Leo alive.

RU can't snipe? if you get used to shell speed, you can hit pretty much everything (it takes a lot of practice though).

RU is best played as a sniper that spots its own targets, just like Leo 1 (spotting mechanics knowledge is crucial), it is a little DPM machine which can eat any tank in no time because people often don't give a crap about your 240 alpha and they fail to realize you chip away 240 of their HP every 5.35 seconds...

tnk_x5000 #8 Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:58 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 29166 battles

When I try to play light tank with the Leopard 1 I get punished really really fast. I guess you just have the skills for that, but I don't have them and I assume Ambiorix1032 doesn't have have them either. Thus, I cannot recommend light tank gameplay for the Leopard 1 to anyone with less than 20 000 battles count - waste of a good sniper gun. I can assume an M48 Patton can do better scouting than the Leo 1, just because of that insane view range, despite the bad mobility.

Ru 251 spotting its targets - please tell me more. Are you using gold, so you don't care where are you hitting your enemies? Or are you just lucky enough to spot them with their sides and rear facing you? What about artillery - aren't they causing you a problem with their splash damage when you break your camo? What is the equipment you are using? Do you stay hidden for long despite you shooting? And are you sure others are not spotting for you?

I would understand the Leopard 1 spotting its own targets, but but the Ru 251 - hell no. Seeing your personal file, you are a tank destroyer player, not a light tank player. I am not surprised that you go sniping with the Ru 251 because of habits. But I am surprised that you go scouting with a larger and much slower tank. o_0 Please, explain to us how - seriously, I really want to know how to allow my failing team to win, because I'm rarely able to make my support actually have an influence on the battle and I get punished for active playing in the first half of the battle. The Bat-Mobile playing like a light tank - for what I have seen, I would understand. But, as a Leopard 1 driver, I am really curious to know how you manage to scout and use your speed as armor.

MetalManiac69 #9 Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:45 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23425 battles

scouting doesn't  mean going zig-zag behind enemy lines. scouting is a combination of proper use of tanks own camo, bushes and superior view range. Patton doesn't even come close to Leo when it comes to scouting because of its huge size and low camo (not saying that Leo is a small tank).

how to stay unspotted? learn how bushes and spotting mechanics work and you'll figure it out by yourself. mobility is your "armor" in a way that you use it to get out of their line of sight, not that you drive and zig-zag so fast that you make them miss your tank...

same goes for RU. spot, retreat far enough behind a bush, shoot, repeat... 

arty is not my problem since I try hard not to present myself as a good target, I am their problem.

and no, I am not a TD player. I was, but my playstyle is too aggressive so I decided to move on long ago, now I play MTs and LTs only...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users