Jump to content


HOW TO AIM SPG


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

brawl100 #1 Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:37 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 2646 battles
  • 1
  • Member since:
    04-24-2011
Hi

Just got first SPG unsure of how or what to aim at any help please

Labrador_wow_wow #2 Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:39 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 4844 battles
  • 4
  • Member since:
    04-08-2011
Press shift? :)

szczerbo1507 #3 Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:22 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Beta Tester
  • 20369 battles
  • 1,578
  • [CZAD] CZAD
  • Member since:
    07-20-2010
When a enemy is moving shot in front of him. When he is close, turn off the sniper mode (by pressing again shift), it can help.

SgVolf #4 Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:18 PM

    Junior Sergeant

  • Player
  • 7363 battles
  • 193
  • Member since:
    03-01-2011
First of all go and hide!  :Smile-hiding:
I see many arty players who are aiming right after the start and don't care about hiding. These are hunted like ducks.

elektrizikekswerk #5 Posted 19 July 2011 - 03:44 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Beta Tester
  • 7222 battles
  • 10,686
  • Member since:
    01-24-2011

View PostSgVolf, on 19 July 2011 - 01:18 PM, said:

I see many arty players who are aiming right after the start and don't care about hiding. These are hunted like ducks.

Sometimes (depends on map an starting position) this is the better choice. Since there are no tracers the only way to counter battery is to shoot on the "usual" spots. And the open field is not "usual" at all.
If the tracers will come back one beautiful day, you're right.

SgVolf #6 Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:51 AM

    Junior Sergeant

  • Player
  • 7363 battles
  • 193
  • Member since:
    03-01-2011

View Postelektrizikekswerk, on 19 July 2011 - 03:44 PM, said:

Sometimes (depends on map an starting position) this is the better choice. Since there are no tracers the only way to counter battery is to shoot on the "usual" spots. And the open field is not "usual" at all.
If the tracers will come back one beautiful day, you're right.

The tracer is only relevant for counter battery as you mentioned.  I'm talking about getting overruned by enemy light and medium tanks, when the whole team is charging and nobody is willing to defend the arty.
In situations like this only a good cover can help you to live a bit longer, or even to kill the charging vehicle.
When you are in the open and probably still in satellite view, and somebody is coming towards you with full speed, you are dead.  As the price of the  ammunition becomes higher and higher, the arties don’t  waste the money by shooting to usual places. I did that with Wespe sometimes, but won’t do it with Hummel cos the price of a missed shot is more than 1 k!

Slayne #7 Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:22 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Beta Tester
  • 5873 battles
  • 98
  • Member since:
    08-24-2010

View PostSgVolf, on 19 July 2011 - 01:18 PM, said:

First of all go and hide!  :Smile-hiding:
I see many arty players who are aiming right after the start and don't care about hiding. These are hunted like ducks.

Those with experience will will and do know how and where the enemy will be leaving their start point and one lucky shot can take out a tank before they can leave their base. There is still more than enough time to get to a good position. So dont rate what you dont know or understand :Smile-izmena:

elektrizikekswerk #8 Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:48 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Beta Tester
  • 7222 battles
  • 10,686
  • Member since:
    01-24-2011

View PostSgVolf, on 20 July 2011 - 09:51 AM, said:

The tracer is only relevant for counter battery as you mentioned.  I'm talking about getting overruned by enemy light and medium tanks, when the whole team is charging and nobody is willing to defend the arty.
In situations like this only a good cover can help you to live a bit longer, or even to kill the charging vehicle.
When you are in the open and probably still in satellite view, and somebody is coming towards you with full speed, you are dead.  As the price of the  ammunition becomes higher and higher, the arties don’t  waste the money by shooting to usual places. I did that with Wespe sometimes, but won’t do it with Hummel cos the price of a missed shot is more than 1 k!

If a fast medium or light comes up, I run away or push him a bullet face to face.
But this is what I ment with "depends on".
(I drive Hummel, too. Almost always making at least one blind shot per battle. 1.1k is not much if you easily can earn up to 60k on good rounds and 30k on average ones (Which makes about 20-50k profit).)

SgVolf #9 Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:00 AM

    Junior Sergeant

  • Player
  • 7363 battles
  • 193
  • Member since:
    03-01-2011

View PostZOB123, on 20 July 2011 - 10:22 AM, said:

Those with experience will will and do know how and where the enemy will be leaving their start point and one lucky shot can take out a tank before they can leave their base. There is still more than enough time to get to a good position. So dont rate what you dont know or understand :Smile-izmena:


:lol: I guess I played with arty enough to know what I'm talking about. But I guess you don't when you think blind firing will bring you as much credit as it costs. But if you do this and don't support your mates with aimed firing from cover its your choice.  :Smile-izmena:

elektrizikekswerk #10 Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:12 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Beta Tester
  • 7222 battles
  • 10,686
  • Member since:
    01-24-2011
Of course you're right with saying that firing on spotted targets gives you potential more credit income than firing blind. And firing on spotted enemies is - in most cases - the best way to support the team.
But if there are no spotted targets you can do your part and spread some bullets over the area to
- maybe hit an enemy and damage or destroy him
- force the enemy to move because you just shot next to them. and if they move the chance of spotting them is increased
- don't fall asleep because nothing his happening...

Busse #11 Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:09 PM

    Junior Sergeant

  • Beta Tester
  • 18480 battles
  • 208
  • [RO-TR] RO-TR
  • Member since:
    10-09-2010
Ussually SPG guns are not the most acurate guns in the game. Even so you will be able to hit enemys with them with around 40% hit ratio if you are patient and wait for the aiming circle to close to maximum and aim carefully. You ask what to aim... Well the answer is simple... Enemy tanks. After you start hitting tanks and learn how to aim at them you may start aiming at particular points on those tanks and hope that your gun will perform good. Example will be aiming at the back half of a tank, where ussualy the engine is. With a good gun and a good shot you may oneshot allmost all tanks in game. Aiming with a SPG may be tricky because the round takes more time flying then tank rounds and in that time the enemy tank may be in some other place. Another thing you must take into consideration is the balistics of the gun and the flight trajectory of the shell. Unlike tanks shells, SPG rounds have an arc trajectory and not a flat one. That will afect the place in which the shell will fall due to the terrain topography. Again with experience you will learn to exploit these things and you will learn when you have a good chance to shoot and hit or not.